Reggie Ragland or Ekeziel Elliott for Jets ? ?.. Kiper explains ~ ~ ~

kelly

In his latest mock draft, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. projects Alabama linebacker Reggie Ragland to the New York Jets with the 20th pick. Oh, wait, you knew that already. On Monday, in a conference call with the national media, Kiper explained his rationale.

The Ragland choice is particularly interesting because Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott still is on the board in the Kiper mock. Kiper acknowledged that Elliott "would be a possibility" for the Jets, although he made it clear he's not a proponent of taking running backs in the first round. He also mentioned quarterback (Memphis' Paxton Lynch) and offensive tackle (Michigan State's Jack Conklin, if he slips a bit) as options.Ultimately, Kiper opted for Ragland because he'd be "a hole filler at inside linebacker." Yes, there will be a hole, as the Jets are prepared to lose Demario Davis in free agency. But Kiper also raised a legitimate concern about Ragland -- his weight (259 pounds) and ability to function as a pass defender against the league's spread offenses.

"He's a thumper," Kiper said. "He's a guy that, really in the '70s, '80s, and '90s, would've been a top-10 pick, guaranteed. But coverage ability is going to be something (to watch). He was 259 at the Senior Bowl. You'd like to see that weight down a bit."How effective will he be in coverage in the NFL? We know he can get after the quarterback. You can move him around a little bit. He's got some versatility there, but how he plays moving backward -- not forward -- is the concern with Reggie Ragland."

If the Jets ultimately deem Ragland a two-down player, he might not be worth a first-round pick. You can bet teams will be paying close attention to Ragland's weight and pass-coverage skill at the NFL scouting combine, which begins Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58562/reggie-ragland-or-ekeziel-elliott-for-jets-mel-kiper-explains

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

ZERO chance the Jets take a plodding ILB with their first round pick

exactly, especially after bowles said they're trying to get faster.  i think lee is a possibility, though they are definitely playing down the need for OL help and I still think they may take a tackle in the first.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Elliot gives them a much bigger lift, makes them better immediately and saves them a ton of money over resigning Ivory

I would be surprised if Ivory gets more than 4m per year with his history of injury and his mid season decline last year.

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

I would be surprised if Ivory gets more than 4m per year with his history of injury and his mid season decline last year.

Maybe but either way a pick at 20 will get less per and at least theres a chance he doesnt get dinged the way Ivory does

I think I would actually go against the grain if the choice were between these two and take Ragland. I like Elliot but it worries me that he doesn't seem great after contact he isn't going to be like Gurly where he breaks a bunch of tackles and gets those extra yards. one of Elliots biggest knocks is that he needs to improve his receiving skills so my fear is after a few seasons and some big hits if he slows down he might not be the same player you drafted in the first round. I don't love Ragland either but I think he will last longer in the NFL.

If there, Ragland will be taken to replace Davis this year then Harris next ... they can pick up a decent coverage LB in free agency or in the later rds... and maybe get a good one next yr... hopefully we'll have 2 young studs for a significant time.

Why would you guys want Elliot drafted in the first if he won't produce?

It is a well known fact that he ran behind the best O line in all of college football and had gaping holes to run through.

Imagine what he would be like with the Jets poor O-line, onl reason we had any success on the ground was because IVORY was able to shake off tackles when he was getting hit 3 yards behind the LOS.

Archived