Schefter: Osweiler to Den not a lock

AFJF

23 minutes ago, hawk said:

So tag him and let Von Miller test free agency?

It's not about that, if he was the real deal they would offer him more per year than Bradford the bum is getting.

The reality is he was benched for a one armed QB, and the one arm was not his throwing arm

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Larz said:

if the report of 3 years and potentially $45 million is true, that's a pretty solid offer for 7 starts.  I read the broncos legit didn't know what manning was doing until saturday night, and this report came out before that, and for all we know the offer has been increased. 

hey, if the jets ever get lucky enough to land a franchise QB, chances are it will mean another team screwed up in the process

I would not bank on Elway being the one to screw up the QB position. If Elway lets him go, he's not worth getting.

I have never been impressed with him at all.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

I would not bank on Elway being the one to screw up the QB position. If Elway lets him go, he's not worth getting.

there is a legal tampering window now.  a team may just blow denvers doors off

It's not about that, if he was the real deal they would offer him more per year than Bradford the bum is getting.

The reality is he was benched for a one armed QB, and the one arm was not his throwing arm

So what your saying is that if you were 25 years old, and the hottest prospect at the most important position, with the most cap money available ever, you would take the first offer that came your way.  You wouldn't want to see what else is available?  

8 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

What games did you watch?

He pretty much lit up the Bengals, Steelers and Patriots (when they were 100% healthy) defenses.

The guy is 6'6" with a rocket arm and is the prototypical NFL pocket passer.

He is the real deal.

Not to mention some HUGE drops by Demayrius/Vernon davis and even Sanders that stalled some big drives. I was impressed with osweiler and would not mind building around him. Marshall/Decker/Smith/Amaro/Enunwa/Forte/Elliot??, would actually give Brock more weapons than he had in Denver. 

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Well, I guess if you have been impressed with him, then....

56 minutes ago, hawk said:

So what your saying is that if you were 25 years old, and the hottest prospect at the most important position, with the most cap money available ever, you would take the first offer that came your way.  You wouldn't want to see what else is available?  

I'm not sure what you are talking not about. All I am saying is good young QBs don't become available unless their team totally fks up, and I would not bank on Elway to fk up here. If he is the goods, Elway won't let him get away, if he gets away, he isn't the goods, it's really that simple. If something seems to good to be true, it's probably not.

I'm not sure what you are talking not about. All I am saying is good young QBs don't become available unless their team totally fks up, and I would not bank on Elway to fk up here. If he is the goods, Elway won't let him get away, if he gets away, he isn't the goods, it's really that simple. If something seems to good to be true, it's probably not.

Being that you can't comprehend what I am saying, is the reason you don't get why Elway can, as you say, fk up.  Elway only has so much money to work with, and other QB needy teams have a whole lot more money to work with.   

1 hour ago, hawk said:

So tag him and let Von Miller test free agency?

No not necessarily. He could rework some other contracts, or make some cuts to ensure he doesn't lose this kid. If Elway felt that strongly about Os, he'd do everything he could to keep this guy from even saying hello to another team. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

if the report of 3 years and potentially $45 million is true, that's a pretty solid offer for 7 starts.  I read the broncos legit didn't know what manning was doing until saturday night, and this report came out before that, and for all we know the offer has been increased. 

hey, if the jets ever get lucky enough to land a franchise QB, chances are it will mean another team screwed up in the process

It's a solid offer, but they haven't locked him in yet. They could lose him by letting him talk to other teams. If they felt he was that good, they wouldn't let another team near him. 

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

And if that happens, it tells you Elway did not think highly enough of him to not allow that to happen

lol, no, it means the hard cap is working, and players have free will.  osweiler may not want to follow a legend, or may be a greedy prick.  there are a lot of reasons he could wind up leaving

and when did elway become some sort of legend ?  peyton was never going to the NFC because that's eli's division and denver was already a very good team and a tourist destination city with a great home field

its not like he sold peyton on going to cleveland

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

It's a solid offer, but they haven't locked him in yet. They could lose him by letting him talk to other teams. If they felt he was that good, they wouldn't let another team near him. 

they don't have a choice.  there is a legal tampering window now. 

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

No not necessarily. He could rework some other contracts, or make some cuts to ensure he doesn't lose this kid. If Elway felt that strongly about Os, he'd do everything he could to keep this guy from even saying hello to another team. 

Even if Elway did decide to cut everyone, and make all this cap to make him the highest paid QB in the History of the NFL, Elway can't just say Osweiler is going to play for Denver.  The player, has the right, and more to the point, should see what is available.  

First, he is going to be the most sought after player, from a dollar stand point, in free agency.  

Second, he has started 7 games in his career, and will be taking over for a legend on a team that just won the superbowl.  Can you imagine the pressure he will be under?  

If its me, I see what else is available, and it isn't Elway's decision.

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

Being that you can't comprehend what I am saying, is the reason you don't get why Elway can, as you say, fk up.  Elway only has so much money to work with, and other QB needy teams have a whole lot more money to work with.   

Lol, unbound yourself brah! I comprehend fine, I disagree. QB is the most important position on the field, nobody gets that more than Elway, Elway won't let a good young QB go with h zero backup plan. so if he lets him go, he ain't good, you dig?

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

lol, no, it means the hard cap is working, and players have free will.  osweiler may not want to follow a legend, or may be a greedy prick.  there are a lot of reasons he could wind up leaving

and when did elway become some sort of legend ?  peyton was never going to the NFC because that's eli's division and denver was already a very good team and a tourist destination city with a great home field

its not like he sold peyton on going to cleveland

there are a million ways to get past the hard cap, hard cap would not stop anyone from signing their good young QB, if he is good, Elway will lock him up, regardless of what it costs

elway has no control.  any team that wants brock can blow him away

After several years of allowing teams to negotiate with agents during a brief window before the launch of free agency, the NFL is finally moving closer toward getting it right.

In prior years, a nonsensical “look-butdon’t-touch” approach applied, allowing positions to be exchanged but not allowing any actual offers to be made or tentative agreements to be reached — ignoring the possibility that in the exchange of positions the two sides may eventually realize that an overlap exists.

This year, in addition to shortening the window from three days to two (it opens Monday at 12:00 p.m. ET), the NFL has expanded the permissible activities that may occur during the negotiating period.

“During the two-day negotiating period, all clubs may negotiate all aspects of an NFL Player Contract with the certified agent of any prospective UFA,” explains the March 2 memo to all teams, a copy of which PFT has obtained. “However, a new club may not execute an NFL Player Contract with a prospective UFA until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9, when the player’s 2015 contract expires.”

The memo then explains that “the only valid, binding and enforceable employment agreement between an NFL player and an NFL club is an NFL Player Contract that has been fully executed by the parties in compliance with all applicable League rules and the CBA,” and that any discussions regarding possible employment or terms of employment “are non-binding and are unenforceable by the player or the club.”

The memo next lists specific things that cannot be done. Teams cannot execute an NFL contract, execute an agreement in principle or other similar document, announce that an agreement in principle or other similar agreement has been reached, or reach agreement on any undisclosed terms. Also, teams cannot make travel arrangements with a prospective free agent before the launch of free agency, at 4:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Violation of the principles set forth in the memo “may be considered conduct detrimental to the League, as well as a violation of the League’s Anti-Tampering Policy.” The memo warns that, if an investigation is required, the league would seek all relevant documents from the team under suspicion, including email and phone communications, along with a review of documents regarding travel arrangements for the player.

Last year, news leaked one day into the then-three-day period that the Dolphins had struck a deal with defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. The floodgates then were open, with multiple reports of tentative deals surfacing. The league investigated the Dolphins, but no action was taken.

Even though the new approach is more practical than the procedures from past years, there’s still a gap in logic between what the rules say and how things work. Deals will be negotiated to completion during the two-day window, and agents who hope to continue to be trusted by NFL teams will ensure that the tentative deals are honored, even though the deals technically aren’t done until they’re done.

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

there are a million ways to get past the hard cap, hard cap would not stop anyone from signing their good young QB, if he is good, Elway will lock him up, regardless of what it costs

elway, the legend

lol

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Lol, unbound yourself brah! I comprehend fine, I disagree. QB is the most important position on the field, nobody gets that more than Elway, Elway won't let a good young QB go with h zero backup plan. so if he lets him go, he ain't good, you dig?

I apologize.  I took the phrase, I am not sure what you are talking about, as you didn't understand about, you know, what I was talking about.  I dig what your saying.  However, it isn't Elway's decision, It's Osweilers.  You dig?

1 minute ago, Larz said:

they don't have a choice.  there is a legal tampering window now. 

1 minute ago, hawk said:

Even if Elway did decide to cut everyone, and make all this cap to make him the highest paid QB in the History of the NFL, Elway can't just say Osweiler is going to play for Denver.  The player, has the right, and more to the point, should see what is available.  

First, he is going to be the most sought after player, from a dollar stand point, in free agency.  

Second, he has started 7 games in his career, and will be taking over for a legend on a team that just won the superbowl.  Can you imagine the pressure he will be under?  

If its me, I see what else is available, and it isn't Elway's decision.

Sure there's pressure. No doubt. But that's also a team whose defense single-handedly won them a Super Bowl. And Kubiak's scheme has historically gotten excellent production from even the most mediocre of running backs. Osweiler's chances of being successful are highest in Denver. The only thing that would make him leave is if someone else blows him away with a huge dollar amount. 

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Sure there's pressure. No doubt. But that's also a team whose defense single-handedly won them a Super Bowl. And Kubiak's scheme has historically gotten excellent production from even the most mediocre of running backs. Osweiler's chances of being successful are highest in Denver. The only thing that would make him leave is if someone else blows him away with a huge dollar amount

Well, that is what Larz and I are saying.  You don't take the first offer that comes your way, you see what else is available.  It isn't Elway's decision, its Osweilers.

32 minutes ago, hawk said:

I apologize.  I took the phrase, I am not sure what you are talking about, as you didn't understand about, you know, what I was talking about.  I dig what your saying.  However, it isn't Elway's decision, It's Osweilers.  You dig?

No, I don't dig, if Elway wants to keep him, he will keep him, it's really that simple. He could have franchised him, he did not, as great as Von Miller is, without a QB, you don't have squat, ask JJ watt about dat one brohem.

Nonsense, just because DEN is up against this years cap doesn't mean they can't be the highest bidder. They can certainly structure the contract in an amenable manner that makes him more money than the open market. If Brock is not in DEN next year it's because DEN doesn't have confidence in him being a franchise QB. If they did they'd pay him a sh*t ton of money in a long term contract and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Nonsense, just because DEN is up against this years cap doesn't mean they can't be the highest bidder. They can certainly structure the contract in an amenable manner that makes him more money than the open market. If Brock is not in DEN next year it's because DEN doesn't have confidence in him being a franchise QB. If they did they'd pay him a sh*t ton of money in a long term contract and be done with it.

The decision is Brock Osweilers, whether Denver is the highest bidder or not.

Edit:  I am pretty sure they offered hime $15 Million per, so they must have some faith in him, and he hasn't excepted it.

The decision is Brock Osweilers, whether Denver is the highest bidder or not.

Edit:  I am pretty sure they offered hime $15 Million per, so they must have some faith in him, and he hasn't excepted it.

There is no team in the market for a QB in a better position than DEN personnel and coaching wise. If DEN pays The most Brock stays, period. If a team believes they have q young franchise QB they open the vault to keep him.

19 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

There is no team in the market for a QB in a better position than DEN personnel and coaching wise. If DEN pays The most Brock stays, period. If a team believes they have q young franchise QB they open the vault to keep him.

So what your saying is that Brock chooses to accept an offer, based on any criteria?

7 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

No, I don't dig, if Elway wants to keep him, he will keep him, it's really that simple. He could have franchised him, he did not, as great as Von Miller is, without a QB, you don't have squat, ask JJ watt about dat one brohem.

No he couldn't , he used the Franchise tag on Von Miller.

35 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

No he couldn't , he used the Franchise tag on Von Miller.

They spoke to both players agents, and chose to tag Miller over Brock, they could have gone the other way around. They had to know what Brocks contract demands were before they tagged Miller.

Miller is great, game changer, but there is nothing more valuable in the NFL than a young franchise QB. Ultimately, I think the Broncos will sign him, but if they don't, it would be a big red flag for me and giving him a 4 year big deal with a ton of guaranteed money would be highly concerning to me personally.

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

The Texans said they will be contacting Brock Osweiller agent when they can legally today.   If they blow Denver offer out of the water.    If Texans were to steal Osweiller from the Bronco's - Ryan Fitzpatrick comes into play for the Bronco's.

The Texans said they will be contacting Brock Osweiller agent when they can legally today.   If they blow Denver offer out of the water.    If Texans were to steal Osweiller from the Bronco's - Ryan Fitzpatrick comes into play for the Bronco's.

Right, and if DEN doesn't come up with a contract equal or better it's because DEN does not view Brock as a franchise caliber QB. Brock would not sign with HOU or anyone else for that matter for less or equal money.

So what your saying is that Brock chooses to accept an offer, based on any criteria?

You're running a Strawman argument to keep supporting your claims. Let's be clear-Brock is not signing anywhere else for less money than DEN would offer. And if DEN feels he truly is a franchise caliber QB, they'd make the highest offer to keep him.

Archived