Ways to increase cap space for 2016

Tinstar

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Smith has had some very very bad games.but it was not all bad. Plus, the Jets staff so enough for them to name him the starter based on the tape. But Bowles got caught up in Fitz it seems, and he prefers veterans. People dismiss them as meaningless games but Geno did play really well the last 4 games 2 years ago. And Geno has elite QB skills. People also forget that Geno played in the worst possible system for him, and Gailey has been known to coach up scrub QBs like Slash and Miller and oh yeah Fitzgerald. Taking Geno completely out of the picture, I would expect Petty to have similar numbers to Fitz in the offense.

If Petty has those numbers this year, we finally hit the lottery! Hope you are right.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

I have very little interest in the garbage that's on other teams looking for a big payday .  I am building my team through the draft and looking to sign a few of my own .

So why do they need to cut everyone after free agency, and the draft?

2 hours ago, Larz said:

this is going to be a very quiet off season for the jets

no big names, no big splashes

should be pretty pretty pretty pretty entertaining around here

We always have this forum to beat each other up on to pacify the boring off season. 

12 minutes ago, hawk said:

Just curious, who do you think will be available after June 1st that the Jets would need to make up all this cap space?  

ICYDK They can be cut before  June 1st but would need to be designated as a June 1st cut.

$hit!  I knew the Oline was declining, but didn't realize it was this bad.  Weren't they great as far as not letting up sacks?

Regardless, it's time to shake things up a bit.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/20/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

26. New York Jets (13th)

Pass-blocking rank: 22nd

Run-blocking rank: 25th

Penalties rank: 19th

Stud: By virtue of his teammates playing so poorly, the strong run blocking of James Carpenter made him an easy pick.

Dud: Poor in the run game and allowing too much pressure, Breno Giacomini did not have a good year.

Summary: Once a dominating group, this was the year that things finally turned, and the Jets line morphed from productive to problem. Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson just aren’t the players they once were, and there aren’t enough factors to overcome that. This line needs some good, young talent.

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

ICYDK They can be cut before  June 1st but would need to be designated as a June 1st cut.

Only twice.  So, I know that, but he didn't say designate as a Post June 1st cut.  

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

$hit!  I knew the Oline was declining, but didn't realize it was this bad.  Weren't they great as far as not letting up sacks?

Regardless, it's time to shake things up a bit.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/20/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

26. New York Jets (13th)

Pass-blocking rank: 22nd

Run-blocking rank: 25th

Penalties rank: 19th

Stud: By virtue of his teammates playing so poorly, the strong run blocking of James Carpenter made him an easy pick.

Dud: Poor in the run game and allowing too much pressure, Breno Giacomini did not have a good year.

Summary: Once a dominating group, this was the year that things finally turned, and the Jets line morphed from productive to problem. Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson just aren’t the players they once were, and there aren’t enough factors to overcome that. This line needs some good, young talent.

It would have been a LOT worse if Fitzy wasn't so good at getting out of a collapsing pocket and getting rid of the ball so quickly.

11 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Currently the Jets are about 6.2 mil under the 155mil salary cap . There's about 579 thousand worth of dead money .   So where's the money coming from .

Cuts :

Jeremy Kerley  cap savings  =  2.5 mil with 600 thousand dead money if cut after June 1st.

Breno Giacomini cap savings =  5 mil cap savings with 625 thousand  dead money if cut after June 1st

Jeff Cumberland cap savings =  2 mil  and he can be cut today with zero dead money

Brick Ferguson cap savings  =  10+mil with 3+ mil in dead mil if cut after June 1st

That's 19.5 mil in cap money available for use thus far :

We're not cutting Brick. We have no replacement, and a replacement LT wouldn't be cheap in terms of cap. Or even draft order.

Restructures :

Nick Mangold current contract is worth 9+ mil with zero dead money .

my suggestion would be to convert that salary into a new 4 year deal worth about 50 mil with a 15 mil signing bonus and a cap hit of 5 mil  for next season saving us 4 mil against the cap .

Brandon Marshall current salary is worth 9.5 mil with zero dead money .

My suggestion would be to convert that salary into a new 3 yr deal worth 40 mil with a 15 mil signing bonus and a cap hit this year of 3.5 mil next season saving us 6 mil against the cap .

That now gives us an additional 10 mil in cap money for use this year .

Total cap money available for use in 2016 30 mil >

Mangold will average $15 mil in 2017-2019. He'll be 33 next year.

Marshall's cap would average $18 mil in 2017 and 2018. He too will be 33 next year.

All this without talking to Revis and without signing Mo Wilk to a long term deal that would give us additional cap savings .

Now you folks can go sign Fitzy and be happy.

I see what this was about. But what you suggested is absolutely not feasible. Mangold, Marshall, Revis and Fitz would eat up about $65mil of cap in 2017 and that doesn't even consider the LT spot, or the dead money pushed to 2017.

If anything, we'll ask Brick to restructure while we try to move 2-3 mil back. Marshall may be restructured/extended, but it wouldn't be for cap saving purpose. 

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I wish you folks would take your Geno  garbage somewhere else .

I'm not a Geno fan but if we can't afford Fitz I'd just as soon give Geno his shot with skill players around him for 16 games than other JAG we dig up and pay more of our precious cap to. 

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

1.We're not cutting Brick. We have no replacement, and a replacement LT wouldn't be cheap in terms of cap. Or even draft order

2.Mangold will average $15 mil in 2017-2019. He'll be 33 next year.

3.Marshall's cap would average $18 mil in 2017 and 2018. He too will be 33 next year.

If anything, we'll ask Brick to restructure while we try to move 2-3 mil back. Marshall may be restructured/extended, but it wouldn't be for cap saving purpose. 

1.  The money saved on Brick could go to a much younger LT with ascending talent as opposed to Bricks descending talent. \

2. Extending Mangold will NOT cause a $15m cap hit next yr. Can you explain to me how you arrived at that #? Or were you just exagerating to make a point?

3. Concerning Marshall, I believe your #'s to be grossly exagerated..... AGAIN!!

26 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I'm not a Geno fan but if we can't afford Fitz I'd just as soon give Geno his shot with skill players around him for 16 games than other JAG we dig up and pay more of our precious cap to. 

We know how bad Geno is. If we really intend to tank 2016 and make Geno the QB, you might as well see what Petty has. Starting Geno in 2016 is not an option. At least Petty could give you some hope for the future. There is no hope with Genope. 

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

We know how bad Geno is. If we really intend to tank 2016 and make Geno the QB, you might as well see what Petty has. Starting Geno in 2016 is not an option. At least Petty could give you some hope for the future. There is no hope with Genope. 

Also Geno is a FA after this season. No sense giving him reps. Might as well give Petty reps.

15 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I had hopes for such a nice friendly thread .  Where did I go wrong ?

You posted about the Jets. ;-)

On a serious note ... there are way too many personal agendas about who is right and wrong about players, and QB is obviously the hottest one. Any thread that involves QB will become a magnet to those same people at both ends of the opinion spectrum to start up the "I'm right, you're wrong" argument yet again, even though they all know it won't go anywhere.

Off seasons can only really be judged as a whole, based on the sum of the parts, but that means waiting till about August / Sept to see how things have shaped up, how the roster looks etc. Until then, every individual move gets analysed / picked apart in isolation. E.g. if we resign Fitz at X, who does that mean we don't get to keep / sign? We won't know necessarily, so the argument becomes "he's not worth X". Similarly, if we don't resign him, but manage to pick up the next Von Miller somehow with the extra cap room we have, is that good or bad? Again the more verbal posters will focus purely on the Fitz / Geno debate, without seeing the knock on effects.

Personally, I'd rather we resign Fitz and have him start another year while we groom our longer term starter (Petty, FA, draft pick, don't care). But I'm not in the "Fitz at all costs" camp; if he wants too much, we go with the next guy up. If that's Geno / Petty / draft pick and $10m of additional FA spending, I'll set my expectations for next year accordingly (rather than lamenting what might have been). No-one can know what will happen in either circumstance - very few here would have said 10-6 prior to Week 1, but it happened. I didn't expect it and was happy to be proven wrong.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Not to the point where we have to cut brick, not really save money and then lock into a long term deal with a guy who has never played a full season.

I'm partial to the LT from Pitt. Kelvin Beachum (coming off ACL injury. Should be ready for camp) or Mitchell Schwartz.

Either could be had in the $8m-9m range.

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

I'm partial to the LT from Pitt. Kelvin Beachum (coming off ACL injury. Should be ready for camp) or Mitchell Schwartz.

Either could be had in the $8m-9m range.

You want to try to replace Brick with a guy coming off a major knee injury?  

only really good Left Tackle in free agency was Cordy Glenn and he was franchise tagged by the bills

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

You want to try to replace Brick with a guy coming off a major knee injury?  

only really good Left Tackle in free agency was Cordy Glenn and he was franchise tagged by the bills

I disagree. Brick is a below avg. LT

Beachum was the starting LT on Ben's blindside and did a great job.

He'll be ready sometime in July. That injury let's us get him for about $8m/yr. avg for 4-5 yrs. The guys 26.

I also said Schwartz who would be => Brick. Also 26.

Archived