Gather your pitchforks, light your torches...

sirlancemehlot

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, slats said:

By how many games each team won in 2015. Pretty straight forward. 

That's probably true but you could also base it on 2014 schedules not after the 2015 season. To me it's so ever changing that it's not too significant but it has some meaning not zero. I'll take all of our Ws with no apologies. We were 10-6 and they were hard earned and all counted. Since when do we complain about wins?

12 minutes ago, kmnj said:

This draft will be like the draft where we passed up marino for kenny o-the next two decades us fans will be saying to think we drafted a clown that lasted less than 3 years with the jets while Lynch has become a stud qb

I just love the armchair Kipers with so much misplaced confidence in their ability to scout these guys better than professionals.  I have no idea what either guy will become and while we all have opinions, to speak with such certainty makes you look foolish.  Don't forget that 24 other teams passed on Lynch, so obviously not many thought he was the next Dan Marino.

17 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I like some things mac has done-bmarsh was a STEAL, forte will be a STEAL, our left tackle was a great risk reward move

now sadly on to the negative

the Mo and Fitz situations have been terribly handled no matter what your position is on either player and their values

our new "franchise QB" is awful-his last two years are the guy were are getting here when we passed on a guy will will be a great qb in lynch( a guy multiple teams wanted and tried to trade up for"

This draft will be like the draft where we passed up marino for kenny o-the next two decades us fans will be saying to think we drafted a clown that lasted less than 3 years with the jets while Lynch has become a stud qb

nearly every analyst before the draft said the jets shouldn't take lynch in the first round, he was too much of a project, they already had a project in petty, i can go on. 

elway trades up for him and suddenly he's a genius and the jets are idiots.  if the cardinals took him mccagnan would be left alone.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Plus you usually (nearly 90% of the time ) make the playoffs with ten wins.

Did some research... The number is closer to 80%.  So, 20% (1 in 5) of the time you miss the playoffs going 10-6... Which is far from insignificant.

Also interesting, you have to go back to 2011 for the last time a 10-6 team didn't miss the playoffs, and that was a weird year where 3 teams with records under 10-6 made the playoffs.  2010, two 10-6 teams didn't make it.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Did some research... The number is closer to 80%.  So, 20% (1 in 5) of the time you miss the playoffs going 10-6... Which is far from insignificant.

Also interesting, you have to go back to 2011 for the last time a 10-6 team didn't miss the playoffs, and that was a weird year where 3 teams with records under 10-6 made the playoffs.  2010, two 10-6 teams didn't make it.

whether they made or didn't make the playoffs doesn't change the team's outlook.  they're still not going anywhere without better qb play. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

That's probably true but you could also base it on 2014 schedules not after the 2015 season. To me it's so ever changing that it's not too significant but it has some meaning not zero. I'll take all of our Ws with no apologies. We were 10-6 and they were hard earned and all counted. Since when do we complain about wins?

Basing it on 2014 schedules would be less accurate, but you could do it.  And if you did, the Jets would still be in the latter half in the league regarding strength of schedule, though higher than it finished.

Again, no one is apologizing for wins.  They're talking about the predictive power of them for 2016.

20 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Mo Wilkerson is playing for the Jets this season.  That's a resolution.  Even if it's one you do not like because you don't know what next season will hold.

Who cares how the teams the Jets played in 2015 did in 2014?  Even if you do, they were 18th ranked in strength of schedule going into the season.  Yes, the Jets affected their opponents strength of schedule by beating them, but that's only 1/16 of their season, not enough to make a significant difference.  Beyond that, the "argument" you're talking about is just another fact, not an argument at all.  At the end of the season, the Jets played the weakest schedule in the league by opponent win percentage.

As far as that 90% of the time, can you back that number up?  Or, did you just make it up right now?

Yes, you do play the opponents on the schedule.  Again, no one is killing them for winning ten games.  But, if you want to make educated projections about how the team might perform in the future they become useful.  For instance, suppose two teams finish 8-8 in 2016... one team played the weakest strength of schedule and one team played the most difficult schedule.  Which team is more likely to improve upon that mark in 2017?

Last question first is it depends on too many other variables to answer the question. 

First point next, my point about the 2014 record of last year's opponents is that until we see what the final rosters of next year's opponents look like, only looking a their records last year is not a very helpful indicator of future performance.  There are too many variables involved to say at this point that the coming schedule will be too strong to overcome.

As for percentage of times a 10 win season is or is not enough, we can quibble depending on how far you go back and how you isolate the variable.  For example since 2002 13 AFC teams had ten win seasons that were not division winners.  While 4 of them did not make the playoffs, nine did, and in any event the point was about making the playoffs in general, meaning 10 wins is also often enough to win your division, so I don't think my statement was incorrect. (I did not tabulate how often 10 wins ends up winning the division, ftr, but it happens often.)

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Last question first is it depends on too many other variables to answer the question. 

First point next, my point about the 2014 record of last year's opponents is that until we see what the final rosters of next year's opponents look like, only looking a their records last year is not a very helpful indicator of future performance.  There are too many variables involved to say at this point that the coming schedule will be too strong to overcome.

As for percentage of times a 10 win season is or is not enough, we can quibble depending on how far you go back and how you isolate the variable.  For example since 2002 13 AFC teams had ten win seasons that were not division winners.  While 4 of them did not make the playoffs, nine did, and in any event the point was about making the playoffs in general, meaning 10 wins is also often enough to win your division, so I don't think my statement was incorrect. (I did not tabulate how often 10 wins ends up winning the division, ftr, but it happens often.)

So, then by your same logic, of too many variables, the 10-6 accomplished last year should be meaningless today as well.  If that's the way you want to look at it, I'm fine with that too.

The variable is easy to isolate... Look at teams who have won 10 games, did they make the playoffs?  Yes or No.  Granted, you can win the division with 10 wins or not, but the overarching issue makes that kind of irrelevant as the question is, is 10 wins good enough.  The math suggests that it is 4/5 times, which is pretty strong, but far from a guarantee of anything.

17 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

I just love the armchair Kipers with so much misplaced confidence in their ability to scout these guys better than professionals.  I have no idea what either guy will become and while we all have opinions, to speak with such certainty makes you look foolish.  Don't forget that 24 other teams passed on Lynch, so obviously not many thought he was the next Dan Marino.

5 teams tried to trade up and get him -also 24 teams did not need qbs so to talk about 24 teams passing on him makes you look foolish

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

nearly every analyst before the draft said the jets shouldn't take lynch in the first round, he was too much of a project, they already had a project in petty, i can go on. 

elway trades up for him and suddenly he's a genius and the jets are idiots.  if the cardinals took him mccagnan would be left alone.

that is NOT TRUE-he was in many "expert" mock drafts going to the jets-how many you want me to post-can start mm

also if you subscribe to the they dont need him as they have petty no way you select a worse qb which the jets did

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's not complaining, its not apologizing, it's putting them in perspective. The Jets won 10 games against the easist schedule in the league last year. 

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Well, first of all I do think he should have taken an OL. There were a lot of targets for the 2nd round. The Darron Lee pick makes no sense whatsoever. He's a small fry trying to play in a 3-4 alignment. The guy can fly around the field, but I think his best fit is as a Safety. I would have traded down out of the 1st round and gathered more picks rather than selecting a guy that is miscast in this defense

I would have also found a trade partner for Mo. The fact is now he's going to highjack our salary cap and leave after this season anyway. That's an automatic "F" for Mac IMO. Mo was/is the franchise and getting nothing for him is inexcuseable. If he had traded him we could have accumulated more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would have selected Jason Spriggs in the 2nd round or tried to trade up and grab Laremy Tunsil. Under any circumstances, I would have selected a TE. Like Tyler Higbee or Jerron Lee in the 4th round. That would have been for starts. 

Which OL do you think was better at 20 than a LB, a position of need, ranked by some in the top 10?  I know, youre clueless and think hes, "a midget", but again, youre clueless.

Who would you have traded Mo to?  Love this, its like the idiot Yankee fans who call Francessa and wanted to trade a loser player for a Harper or Stanton.  What do you think you know and can do to make a trade over someone who does this for a living?  How can anyone be that full of themselves.  As if Macc really wasnt trying to trade him.  Or only called 2 teams.  Who do you know that youre so sure you would have traded Mo.  But keeping one of your best players, not giving him away is an automatic F.  

Lets face it, you hate Macc for not living in your make believe world, where whatever you want, whichever player you've read about, is available just for the asking.

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

that is NOT TRUE-he was in many "expert" mock drafts going to the jets-how many you want me to post-can start mm

also if you subscribe to the they dont need him as they have petty no way you select a worse qb which the jets did

Actual most experts didnt think Lynch was 1st round talent.  He may have been called the 3rd best on the list of QBs but with a big fall off from #2.  Also more than a few thought he wasnt significantly better than a Hackenberg, Cooke etc.  

No one, anywhere can tell you he will be good.  He has never, ever thrown a ball in a pro like offense.  No one knows that he is capable.  If they tell you he can and will theyre full of shlt and youll buy anything

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actual most experts didnt think Lynch was 1st round talent.  He may have been called the 3rd best on the list of QBs but with a big fall off from #2.  Also more than a few thought he wasnt significantly better than a Hackenberg, Cooke etc.  

No one, anywhere can tell you he will be good.  He has never, ever thrown a ball in a pro like offense.  No one knows that he is capable.  If they tell you he can and will theyre full of shlt and youll buy anything

the hawks said 9 teams wanted lynch-5 we know who they were and two expressed extreme regret not getting him-I dont hear anybody upset up missing out on Hackenberg or tons of teams fighting to get him-he is a loser Lynch is a winner and a leader

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the hawks said 9 teams wanted lynch-5 we know who they were and two expressed extreme regret not getting him-I dont hear anybody upset up missing out on Hackenberg or tons of teams fighting to get him-he is a loser Lynch is a winner and a leader

That is a ridiculous statement since neither player has taken a snap in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I know why Hackenberg wasnt discussed.  He was out of the conversation.  

I dont believe for a second that 9 teams wanted to draft Lynch after the 2nd pick as part of the first round.  

Lynch lead his teams to what exactly?  Your proof other than just making some dumb comment that cant be proven or disproven?  What was it left over from the Cook analysis?  That he was a top ranked QB playing patty cake teams and as soon as the competition got somewhat better he shlt the bed and dove down the QB rankings?  Curious, what does your boy Lynch do that Petty cant do?  In depth please.

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

I guess you have proof to support that he wants more than Watt?

As much proof as you have that the Jets can resign him. Only I have something I have read, you only have what you think and no media report to point to. It's also common sense. Mac had 50 million dollars last season and could not sign Mo. It's time for you to wake up and smell the coffee.

The team that said they regretted not getting a deal done for Lynch was Dallas and it was Jerry Jones who was quoted. His son told him not to do it and he capitulated. A couple of years ago Stephen told him not to do it with Manziel and to draft for the O-line and he regretted that too at the moment but it turned out to be a smart move. 

Just now, Mainejet said:

As much proof as you have that the Jets can resign him. Only I have something I have read, you only have what you think and no media report to point to. It's also common sense. Mac had 50 million dollars last season and could not sign Mo. It's time for you to wake up and smell the coffee.

So, basically, you just made it up.  Cool!

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The team that said they regretted not getting a deal done for Lynch was Dallas and it was Jerry Jones who was quoted. His son told him not to do it and he capitulated. A couple of years ago Stephen told him not to do it with Manziel and to draft for the O-line and he regretted that too at the moment but it turned out to he a smart move. 

they are not the only team-chiefs as well make very public admissions

3 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Mo wanted more than 50 million per season?  LOL, you really have no idea and just throw shlt out there dont you? 

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

So, basically, you just made it up.  Cool!

Go look at turnonntheJets.com and search for articles pertaining to "Mo wants north of JJ Watt money". made it up my A$$. YOU are making up a fairy tale thinking that the Jets can resign him. It's a f*cking pipe dream...

3 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Go look at turnonntheJets.com and search for articles pertaining to "Mo wants north of JJ Watt money". made it up my A$$. YOU are making up a fairy tale thinking that the Jets can resign him. It's a f*cking pipe dream...

Who from Mo Wilkerson's agents or from the New York Jets writes for Turn on the Jets?

16 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

And go to my blog where I say he doesnt want JJ Watt money.  Its just as useless and means nothing.

And he should get Watt money, Watts deal is old and when Watt signs his new deal it will blow the last one away.  Whats this idiotic football contention that no one can make more than Watt.

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

they are not the only team-chiefs as well make very public admissions

Chiefs made public admissions that they were looking for a backup QB.  They also said after the first 2 were taken they didnt think there was another 1st round QB in the draft.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And go to my blog where I say he doesnt weant JJ Watt money.  Its just as useless and means nothing.

And he should get Watt money, Watts deal is old and when Watt signs his new deal it will blow the last one away.  Whats this idiotic football contention that no one can make more than Watt.

I wasn't even going to bother with this part... But, since you did...

This is also correct.

Chiefs made public admissions that they were looking for a backup QB.  They also said after the first 2 were taken they didnt think there was another 1st round QB in the draft.  

no they said they tried to trade into the first round to get lynch

they said it and Lynch's agent said it

so all parties involved said it....

Archived