Jeremy Kerley’s Time With Jets Comes to Close

JetNation

40 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:
Jeremy Kerley - WR -  Lions

Newly-signed Lions WR Jeremy Kerley blames the new coaching staff in New York for his lack of production last season.

"It was the opportunity. I didn't get to actually play. That was the main reason," Kerley said. "New coaching staff came in, they already knew the guys they wanted to play. They already had their scheme going, and they wanted bigger receivers." Kerley saw just 26 targets last year after averaging 80 the previous three seasons. He could see more work in an offense still reeling from the loss of Calvin Johnson, but he remains a slot-type who is unlikely to create big plays in the passing game. Even after signing Marvin Jones and Kerley, the Lions could use some help at receiver.

Source: MLive.com 
Mar 28 - 9:12 AM

Can't disagree with this. Gailey knew what he wanted from the outset and Kerley was the odd man out.

He'll fit in DET. He's used to having to make plays with a sh*tty QB.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

Can't disagree with this. Gailey knew what he wanted from the outset and Kerley was the odd man out.

He'll fit in DET. He's used to having to make plays with a sh*tty QB.

Although I agree with the coaching staff's disposition and your statement, it's also VERY disconcerting to see that coaches were SO stubborn in not playing one of their BETTER WRs when Devin Smith was not contributing, we had NO TEs w/receptions to speak of, and - although i like him a lot - Enunwa was still very raw and inconsistent with catches.

It indicates the coaches will not play the best players regardless of the situation - 4 game losing streak and mid-season offensive funk - simply to PUSH their system. Great coaches play their best players and adapt their "system" to get the Best Players ON THE FIELD. We put Henderson in for Davis at ILB, why not Kerley as the 4th WR over Kendrell Thompkins or the still developing rookie D. Smith?

Our main complaint about Rex was a stubbornness in a similar manner. 

56 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Newly-signed Lions WR Jeremy Kerley blames the new coaching staff in New York for his lack of production last season.

"It was the opportunity. I didn't get to actually play. That was the main reason," Kerley said. "New coaching staff came in, they already knew the guys they wanted to play. They already had their scheme going, and they wanted bigger receivers." Kerley saw just 26 targets last year after averaging 80 the previous three seasons. He could see more work in an offense still reeling from the loss of Calvin Johnson, but he remains a slot-type who is unlikely to create big plays in the passing game. Even after signing Marvin Jones and Kerley, the Lions could use some help at receiver.

Source: MLive.com 
Mar 28 - 9:12 AM

Many people speculated this but I think its stupid.  The best players should play, regardless of size.  You rather have a big stiff who cant catch rather than shifty little producer with incredible hands?  Makes no sense. 

29 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Although I agree with the coaching staff's disposition and your statement, it's also VERY disconcerting to see that coaches were SO stubborn in not playing one of their BETTER WRs when Devin Smith was not contributing, we had NO TEs w/receptions to speak of, and - although i like him a lot - Enunwa was still very raw and inconsistent with catches.

It indicates the coaches will not play the best players regardless of the situation - 4 game losing streak and mid-season offensive funk - simply to PUSH their system. Great coaches play their best players and adapt their "system" to get the Best Players ON THE FIELD. We put Henderson in for Davis at ILB, why not Kerley as the 4th WR over Kendrell Thompkins or the still developing rookie D. Smith?

Our main complaint about Rex was a stubbornness in a similar manner. 

I don't entirely disagree with you but from the coaches' perspective if you are trying to build a particular offensive system then you need to get guys playing in that system in game settings so they can develop and gain experience in that system. Gailey has a very specific system that requires a particular set of receivers. Kerley is about as far from that system as it gets. I am not in love with Gailey or his system but it looks like he is here to stay and the team has to be built and developed around it.

7 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't entirely disagree with you but from the coaches' perspective if you are trying to build a particular offensive system then you need to get guys playing in that system in game settings so they can develop and gain experience in that system. Gailey has a very specific system that requires a particular set of receivers. Kerley is about as far from that system as it gets. I am not in love with Gailey or his system but it looks like he is here to stay and the team has to be built and developed around it.

Valid and fair point. The frustration, for me, was that when we hit that mid-season offensive wall, you KNEW Kerley could contribute and provide more of a spark and the CS was just so FIXATED on not doing that. Water under the bridge and it seems we'll be drafting "bigger bodies" at WR rather than the Emmanuel Sanders'-type going forward as long as Chan Chan calls the plays. 

On 3/21/2016 at 7:35 PM, Tinstar said:

Actually. it explains why he was kept as the punt returner despite the inability to make any plays at the position. The coaches knew he would always catch the football .

Maybe he wasn't great at getting seperation or didn't rum his routes well?

"It was the opportunity. I didn't get to actually play. That was the main reason," Kerley said. "New coaching staff came in, they already knew the guys they wanted to play. They already had their scheme going, and they wanted bigger receivers." Kerley saw just 26 targets last year after averaging 80 the previous three seasons. He could see more work in an offense still reeling from the loss of Calvin Johnson, but he remains a slot-type who is unlikely to create big plays in the passing game. Even after signing Marvin Jones and Kerley, the Lions could use some help at receiver.     Source: MLive.com  Mar 28 - 9:12 AM

I wanted to get more playing time last year. I blame the coaches as well!

On 3/14/2016 at 1:30 PM, drdetroit said:

Colston I would like for us as a depth signing but he failed a physical which led to him getting cut by the Saints.

Mike Wallace would make a lot of sense for the pats who don't have a receiver with speed that can stretch the field.

They also don't have a QB who can stretch the field, so Wallace is pointless. 

16 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Can't believe a Kerley thread has over 100 responses!

:chas:

As moderators we have detailed statistics that aren't available to posters. The stats are very telling. This thread currently has:

117 Posts

59 Fair Catches

Archived