the longer this goes on the less i want Fitz

MetsJets1962

I don't get the debate about Fitz's arm. It certainly isn't too weak, seen him throw some pretty fast ones last year and distance is never really an  issue for an NFL QB, it's more about velocity and throwing into tight windows, which he did pretty consistently. It's not a Pennington situation (a guy who could throw it 50 odd yards but would struggle with an out pattern).

I've rated Fitz higher than most from the start. Was ecstatic when we picked him up, knew we'd got an above average QB on a great deal but even I like what we're doing here. Ultimately the biggest issue is age and it isn't helped by the fact that he gets hit quite a lot. His inability to slide may get him a few extra yards and you gotta love the passion, but don't think the franchise shouldn't consider that before committing to him for 3 years. Along with Mangold and Mo he was probably my favourite player on the team. Almost no chance that all those guys return and quite possible that none of them do, pretty depressing but it is what it is. 

Absolutely love the guy and he made last season fun as hell, playoffs or not. It's sad because he probably does deserve a bigger deal, but that's not how the league works. That said I think the Bronco's are seriously messing up if they go anywhere else, he's comfortably the best QB out there, even if he's not the most talented. 

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I don't get the debate about Fitz's arm. It certainly isn't too weak, seen him throw some pretty fast ones last year and distance is never really an  issue for an NFL QB, it's more about velocity and throwing into tight windows, which he did pretty consistently. It's not a Pennington situation (a guy who could throw it 50 odd yards but would struggle with an out pattern).

I've rated Fitz higher than most from the start. Was ecstatic when we picked him up, knew we'd got an above average QB on a great deal but even I like what we're doing here. Ultimately the biggest issue is age and it isn't helped by the fact that he gets hit quite a lot. His inability to slide may get him a few extra yards and you gotta love the passion, but don't think the franchise shouldn't consider that before committing to him for 3 years. Along with Mangold and Mo he was probably my favourite player on the team. Almost no chance that all those guys return and quite possible that none of them do, pretty depressing but it is what it is. 

Absolutely love the guy and he made last season fun as hell, playoffs or not. It's sad because he probably does deserve a bigger deal, but that's not how the league works. That said I think the Bronco's are seriously messing up if they go anywhere else, he's comfortably the best QB out there, even if he's not the most talented. 

I identify with every word you wrote regarding Fitz

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

29th most accurate passer in the league last season, worst in the league > 20 yards. The arm is an issue 

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He has a terrible NFL arm. 

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He throws decent in ideal weather.

45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

produces what? meaningless fantasy #s?

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What exactly has he produced?

the first 10 win season in five years. respect from his team mates. competency at the position

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

the first 10 win season in five years. respect from his team mates. competancy at the position

he was well respected I will give him that.  he didn't produce that season, all the talent around him produced it along w/ the creampuff schedule.  10 wins is absolutely meaningless w/o a playoff app especially when we had a win and in game and lost to a dead team where that QB helped throw away our season.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was well respected I will give him that.  he didn't produce that season, all the talent around him produced it along w/ the creampuff schedule.  10 wins is absolutely meaningless w/o a playoff app especially when we had a win and in game and lost to a dead team where that QB helped throw away our season.

every year we go thru this same nonsense about schedules being easy and hard. never seems to work out the way ist predicted, does it? let me repeat. double didgit wins

what if the jets won 12 games and didnt get in the playoffs? is that meaningless? or just bad luck?

he produced almost 4000 yards,31 td's-15 picks.- yea that a great sign of not producing

pretty much the same offensive weapons that geno went 4-12 with except brandon marshal. the same marshal who is so talented, he drags weak qb's and weak teams to the playoffs year in and year out. oh wait, no he didnt

entire jets team, coaching staff included, sucked a dick during the buffalo game. dont act like the team was playing hard and fitz threw the game away

every year we go thru this same nonsense about schedules being easy and hard. never seems to work out the way ist predicted, does it? let me repeat. double didgit wins

what if the jets won 12 games and didnt get in the playoffs? is that meaningless? or just bad luck?

he produced almost 4000 yards,31 td's-15 picks.- yea that a great sign of not producing

pretty much the same offensive weapons that geno went 4-12 with except brandon marshal. the same marshal who is so talented, he drags weak qb's and weak teams to the playoffs year in and year out. oh wait, no he didnt

entire jets team, coaching staff included, sucked a dick during the buffalo game. dont act like the team was playing hard and fitz threw the game away

the sched was cake.  looking at a sched now isn't fair as teams get good and bad from year to year but last year was cake.

Cle stunk

Indy stunk

Philly stunk

Washington turned out to be decent but they weren't very good

Miami was awful

Buffalo was mediocre

Oakland mediocre

jax stunk

Hou mediocre

Dallas stunk

NYG stunk

Teb stunk

we basically played 2 games against a good team(NE) and the 2nd game they acted like they had no interest in winning.

the team did suck but that doesn't absolve Fitz from playing horribly.  he looked and played scared from the 1st snap.  there is a reason he has never helped a team reach postseason.

the same offensive weapons? our best player was brand new.  Decker was healthy this year, Powell emerged.  almost nothing was the same from 2014 to 2015.  that is pure nonsense, Fitz w/ us in 2014 we win 4 games.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the sched was cake.  looking at a sched now isn't fair as teams get good and bad from year to year but last year was cake.

Cle stunk

Indy stunk

Philly stunk

Miami was awful

Buffalo was mediocre

Oakland mediocre

jax stunk

Hou mediocre

Dallas stunk

NYG stunk

Teb stunk

we basically played 2 games against a good team(NE) and the 2nd game they acted like they had no interest in winning.

the team did suck but that doesn't absolve Fitz from playing horribly.  he looked and played scared from the 1st snap.  there is a reason he has never helped a team reach postseason.

the same offensive weapons? our best player was brand new.  Decker was healthy this year, Powell emerged.  almost nothing was the same from 2014 to 2015.  that is pure nonsense, Fitz w/ us in 2014 we win 4 games.

Scared like this?Screen-Shot-2015-11-12-at-10.51.50-PM.pn

$18M QB's are supposed to lift their team up when they are down. But all I'm hearing is excuses for a guy who's demanding to be the highest paid player and unquestioned leader of the team

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Cle stunk

Indy stunk

Philly stunk

Miami was awful

Buffalo was mediocre

Oakland mediocre

jax stunk

Hou mediocre

Dallas stunk

NYG stunk

Teb stunk

yea, the entire offense was different, except for it wasnt. powell emerged? for what? like 3-4 games. decker was hobbled this year,too. as was marshal. where was the running game the last half of the season? did the jets have that problem in 2014? apparently, brandon marshal is worth 6 games. 7 games if fitz didnt throw away the buffalo game.

why is it so hard to admit that fitz produced at the qb position? the guy has one of the best seasons a jets qb ever had statistically, and you are basically calling it a "mirage". it because of this and that. dissect it all you want, fitz was a competant qb for the jets and will be the jets day 1 starter in 2016

16 minutes ago, ylekram said:

he played well most of the year(w/ arguably our most talented O since the 80s around him) but you can't go into Orchard park and play like he played.  There were 2 QBs in that game, one was greatly affected by the wind and the other was not.  I think the Jets are doing a great job here, I want him back but at the right price and the Jets are not going to be suckered into overpaying for him.

yea, the entire offense was different, except for it wasnt. powell emerged? for what? like 3-4 games. decker was hobbled this year,too. as was marshal. where was the running game the last half of the season? did the jets have that problem in 2014? apparently, brandon marshal is worth 6 games. 7 games if fitz didnt throw away the buffalo game.

why is it so hard to admit that fitz produced at the qb position? the guy has one of the best seasons a jets qb ever had statistically, and you are basically calling it a "mirage". it because of this and that. dissect it all you want, fitz was a competant qb for the jets and will be the jets day 1 starter in 2016

those 3-4 games(it was more than that but I will play along) helped us win crucial games.

decker was hobbled briefly, he basically played the entire 2014 year hurt.

marshall was the biggest difference maker on the team.  The O talent was better by an incredible margin from 2014 to 2015.

Fitz had a nice year but stats are stats, winning is what matters and with the season on the line he came up small.  he had great stat year but who cares about meaningless fantasy #s when you don't make the playoffs?  there is a reason he's never been to the playoffs and a reason no one is willing to give him a huge deal.

those 3-4 games(it was more than that but I will play along) helped us win crucial games.

marshall was the biggest difference maker on the team.  The O talent was better by an incredible margin from 2014 to 2015.

Fitz had a nice year but stats are stats, winning is what matters and with the season on the line he came up small.  he had great stat year but who cares about meaningless fantasy #s when you don't make the playoffs?  there is a reason he's never been to the playoffs and a reason no one is willing to give him a huge deal.

But did you see how cool fitz looked when he threw 4 TD's against the worst team in the league? Playoffs shmayoffs

in one breath, you state marshal is the biggest difference and in the second you state fitz is a product of circumstance. might i remind you that "the bigges difference" has never made the playoffs either. the biggest difference in the jets offense in the past decade or more,imo, was the competant qb play

bowles didnt have his team prepared to play buffalo. it wasnt a few guys that didnt play well, it was almost the entire team? wasnt just fitz. who's shoulders does that loss fall on if the entire team sucked?

again, where was the running game the last half of the season? without a running game and fitz being a "mirage", where did the wins come from?

19 minutes ago, ylekram said:

Marshall has never made it either but last year he did all he could including bringing us back in that Buffalo game.

only 2 games we didn't rush for at least 120 yds from the 2nd Miami game on.

stats and real life, 2 different things.  this is why people think Philip Rivers is a great QB, stats are gerat but meaningless when you can't make plays to win big games.

you can have the stat guy, I'll take the guy w/ lesser #s that makes plays to win.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are only two metrics to evaluate a QB's performance in a year.

Strength of schedule and making the playoffs.  This we all know.

what good are #s w/o wins?  players play to win, fans watch to see their teams win.  who cares about meaningless #s that do not help you win?

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Marshall has never made it either but last year he did all he could including bringing us back in that Buffalo game.

stats and real life, 2 different things.  this is why people think Philip Rivers is a great QB, stats are gerat but meaningless when you can't make plays to win big games.

you can have the stat guy, I'll tkae the guy w/ lesser #s that makes plays to win.

fyi, football is a team sport. wins and losses are not always linked to the qb.

fitz did have some good stats, close to record breaking for the jets franchise, but he still qb'd the team to 10 wins

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are only two metrics to evaluate a QB's performance in a year.

Strength of schedule and making the playoffs.  This we all know.

For real.  Mark Sanchez is a born winner and elite QB.  Just ask the 2nd or 3rd team he's been backup for.

fyi, football is a team sport. wins and losses are not always linked to the qb.

fitz did have some good stats, close to record breaking for the jets franchise, but he still qb'd the team to 10 wins

no position has more impact on wins and losses.  Fairly or unfairly QBs are judged on how they help their teams win.

10 wins and no playoffs, I'm not impressed.  I want records for wins not for individual fantasy #s.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what good are #s w/o wins?  players play to win, fans watch to see their teams win.  who cares about meaningless #s that do not help you win?

Because Trent Dilfer, Jake Delhomme and brad johnson are far better than phillip rivers, dan marino and your fav sanchez.

Peyton manning this year was by far better than tom brady, cam newton, aaron rogers, etc.  Bryan hoyer is much better than most of the Qb's in this league.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you can have the stat guy, I'll tkae the guy w/ lesser #s that makes plays to win.

Fitz's stats outside of passing TD's (function of the offense) were all near the bottom of the league. 4th highest rate of throwing interceptable passes in the league (higher than geno smith), only 33% were actually caught making him the luckiest passer (league average is 48%), 29th most accurate passer in the league (less accurate than geno smith in 2014)

Just now, Beerfish said:

Because Trent Dilfer, Jake Delhomme and brad johnson are far better than phillip rivers, dan marino and your fav sanchez.

Peyton manning this year was by far better than tom brady, cam newton, aaron rogers, etc.  Bryan hoyer is much better than most of the Qb's in this league.

I would take those 3 QBs over the overrated Philip Rivers who was handed a team that could have become a dynasty and only made 1 title game thnaks to his backup leading the GW TD in the div rd.

marino elevated average teams to postseason nearly every year.  he didn't have the talent Peyton had, w/ Indy in peyton's years Marino wins 3-4 SBs.

Dilfer, Delhomme and Johnson were not great but they were perfect for their teams.  Notice how many SBs the great ravens Ds made w/o Dilfer? Johnson took 3 teams to postseason.

this season was a rare one where a D carried a QB to a title.  1st and only time a QB has literally done nothing en route to a SB title.

Hoyer had a winning record in CLEVELAND and was starting in the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

no position has more impact on wins and losses.  Fairly or unfairly QBs are judged on how they help their teams win.

10 wins and no playoffs, I'm not impressed.  I want records for wins not for individual fantasy #s.

you seem to want to give  most of the credit to marshal for the improved offense.he is known to make circus catches, but is also known to drop easy passes. lots of easy passes.he plays well MOST of the time. then you go on to downplay fitzpatricks play as circumstance. both players play well MOST of the time, but only 1 gets credit and the other gets sh*t on

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For real.  Mark Sanchez is a born winner and elite QB.  Just ask the 2nd or 3rd team he's been backup for.

2007-2015 Jets

4 seasons w/ mark: 2 playoff apps, 4 playoff wins, 2 title game apps

5 seasons w/o mark: 0 playoff apps, 0 playoff wins, 

Just now, ylekram said:

you seem to want to give  most of the credit to marshal for the improved offense.he is known to make circus catches, but is also know to drop easy passes. lots of easy passes.we plays well MOST of the time. then you go on to downplay fitzpatricks play as circumstance. both players play well MOST of the time, but only 1 gets credit and the other gets sh*t on

he dropped a few but saved far more bad passes than he dropped.

Fitz played well, I want him back at the right price BUT his "great" season was more a product of knowing this offense and the incredible talent around him.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

i like how 10 wins are fantasy #'s

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I would take those 3 QBs over the overrated Philip Rivers who was handed a team that could have become a dynasty and only made 1 title game thnaks to his backup leading the GW TD in the div rd.

marino elevated average teams to postseason nearly every year.  he didn't have the talent Peyton had, w/ Indy in peyton's years Marino wins 3-4 SBs.

Dilfer, Delhomme and Johnson were not great but they were perfect for their teams.  Notice how many SBs the great ravens Ds made w/o Dilfer? Johnson took 3 teams to postseason.

this season was a rare one where a D carried a QB to a title.  1st and only time a QB has literally done nothing en route to a SB title.

Hoyer had a winning record in CLEVELAND and was starting in the playoffs.

so you agree with me on everything, thanks idzik!

Archived