" No NFL team uses more draft picks on quarterbacks than the New York Jets " ~ ~ ~

kelly

On March 26, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

1st;  Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington

2nd; Geno Smith, Kellen Clemens  

3rd;

4th; Bryce Petty

5th; Erik Ainge

6th; Tajh Boyd, Brooks Bollinger

7th; Greg McElroy

I count 9, who am i missing?

John McGraw (us that the right first name?) from Nevraska who was converted to safety, and Brad Smith

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

~ ~    6. If at first you don't succeed ... :  No team has drafted more quarterbacks since 1999 than the  :wub:  Jets  :wub:  -- not even the Cleveland Browns, known for their quarterback merry-go-round. The Jets' number is 10. Here they are, the imperfect 10 (in draft order): Chad Pennington, Brooks Bollinger, Brad Smith,Kellen Clemens, Erik Ainge, Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Geno Smith, Tajh Boyd and Bryce Petty. Only two have winning records: Pennington (44-37) and Sanchez (37-35).

rest of above article  : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59304/rex-ryans-hope-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-leaves-jets-for-another-team

On 3/26/2016 at 11:15 AM, kelly said:

Much has been made about the number of quarterbacks the Cleveland Browns have used in recent years, but when it comes to the NFL Draft, no team has taken more shots than the New York Jets over the last 16 years.

From 1999 through 2015, the Jets drafted ten quarterbacks, two more than the Browns during the same period. At the other end, the Dallas Cowboys have drafted just three quarterbacks since 1999.

On the other hand, the Browns have drafted four quarterbacks in the first round of the last 16 drafts, more than any other team and something they are expected to do again this year. Meanwhile, five teams have not selected a quarterback in the first round during this time period, including the Cowboys, Chiefs, Saints, Seahawks, and Patriots.

No_NFL_team_uses_more-9baf8bb3f56fbaf2b9

>    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/no-nfl-team-uses-more-185039501.html

And if Dallas had a decent backup they might not have gone 4-12. I say draft a QB every year until you find your next Namath. What's the harm? There is more to be gained by picking a QB every year than trying to find a FA because you already know what that guy can do, or more importantly what he CAN'T do.

41 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

This underscores the tragedy of the only good QB pick we ever made in Chad Pennington, a QB who got us into the playoffs every year he started

A worse tragedy is that a certain MidWest scout was banging the table for a kid from Michigan that same year. Guess who?

17 hours ago, Freemanm said:

John McGraw (us that the right first name?) from Nevraska who was converted to safety, and Brad Smith

Jon McGraw was a pick in the second round of the 2002 draft. I never heard of him being converted to QB. The Jets biggest mistake in the last 10 years was passing on Joe Flacco and taking the second biggest bust in draft history behind Ryan Leaf....in Vernon (zero career sacks) Gholston.

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Jon McGraw was a pick in the second round of the 2002 draft. I never heard of him being converted to QB. The Jets biggest mistake in the last 10 years was passing on Joe Flacco and taking the second biggest bust in draft history behind Ryan Leaf....in Vernon (zero career sacks) Gholston.

Not that it matters, but I thought McGraw played QB in college?

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I'm going to make a plea to the moderators here that the very name Vernon Gholston be banned from this forum. 

• 2 weeks later...

With Fitzpatrick Wavering, Jets Home in on Quarterback Paxton Lynch

Quarterbacks selected low in the first round reward their teams. But despite an otherwise blooper-filled draft history, the Jets have had great success taking signal-callers in this range.

With 33-year-old Ryan Fitzpatrick still a free agent, the Jets are reportedly considering fortifying their quarterback position in the April 28 NFL draft.According to NFL.com, 6-foot-7 quarterback Paxton Lynch, out of Memphis, has been summoned by the team for a one-on-one visit in Florham Park, N.J., later this month. Lynch is generally regarded as the third-best quarterback prospect in the draft, after North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz and California's Jared Goff.

Quarterbacks selected in the range of where the Jets are set to pick (20th overall) rarely reward their teams. But despite an otherwise blooper-filled draft history, the Jets have had great success taking signal-callers in this range.

OG-AG911_TAN040_G_20160404192329.jpgENLARGE

Since the 1970 AFL/NFL merger, just five of 22 quarterbacks selected 15th through 25th overall have ended up starting at least 80 NFL games—including Super Bowl winners Joe Flacco (No. 18 in 2008) and Aaron Rodgers (No. 24 in 2005). Two of the five were Jets: Ken O’Brien (No. 24 in 1983) and Chad Pennington (No. 18 in 2000). Both subsequently won passing titles and led the team to the playoffs.

Otherwise, the checkered history of quarterbacks taken in the bottom half of the first round would give Mike Maccagnan or any GM second thoughts. It’s hard to believe that Steve Pisarkiewicz (1977), Dan McGwire (1991) and Todd Marinovich (1991) were viewed as potential stars. More recent selections Tim Tebow (2010) and Johnny Manziel (2014) already can be classified as busts.

Lynch does boast a rare combination of size, arm strength and mobility, rushing for 13 touchdowns for Memphis in 2014. Dan Shonka, a former NFL scout and current general manager of Ourlads Scouting Services, notes that Lynch has one of the strongest arms ever recorded, firing a football at 59 mph. But Shonka professed that this draft goes 10 deep with viable quarterback prospects, adding that an “enormous raw talent” like Ohio State’s Cardale Jones could be selected as late as the third round.

>    http://www.wsj.com/articles/with-fitzpatrick-wavering-jets-home-in-on-quarterback-paxton-lynch-1459814450?tesla=y

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets are expected to have a four-man contingent today at Paxton Lynch's pro day, including GM Mike Maccagnan. Also scheduled to attend are QB coach Kevin Patullo, director of college scouting Rex Hogan and regional scout Dom Green, according to a list of expected NFL reps. No other team will have as many as four at the Memphis pro day, per the list.

>      http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

On March 27, 2016 at 9:17 AM, PCP63 said:

I honestly like when teams go this route (within reason, of course). I mean, I honestly wouldn't be mad if the Jets drafted a high round, mid round, and late round QB. 

How I see it is that the worst that can happen is you'll have some decent backups that you can trade if need be.

Think this is what lead to Sanchez tossing a pass to Tebows head

Archived