Colon: Jets Unrepared for Week 17 Loss

JetNation

Willie Colon

By Glenn Naughton

Willie Colon is still undecided about whether or not he’ll play a tenth NFL season, but if he’s hoping t’s with the Jets, he may have hurt his chances just a bit with comments he made on Sirius XM NFL radio.

When asked about the struggles of Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in the team’s heartbreaking week 17 loss to the Buffalo Bills, Colon offered a response that included a little bit of what casual observers saw, but also a few words that may have come as a surprise to Jets fans.

“Everyone talks about Ryan’s three interceptions, but we did a lot of things wrong in that game.  We couldn’t get off the field on third down and we couldn’t run the ball”.

Nothing surprising there.

However, Colon continued “It just seemed like, even during the pre-game when we came out on the field, even though they had nothing to play for, the Bills were more prepared to play than we were”.

Not the most complementary comments from a veteran lineman who has taken part in his share of big games as a member of the 2008 Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

This isn’t exactly uncharted territory for Colon who was also critical of former Head Coach Rex Ryan following his departure to Buffalo this past offseason.

Colon has not offered a time frame on his decision to play or not in 2016.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
cdR0uiHUSac

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for all the s--t Jets fans like to talk about Rex, he gets his team prepared for what other cities would consider meaningless games, and he knows the Jets better than Bowles. He owned our asses last year. 

put it another way if Rex was the coach when the team got swept by the bills and missed the playoffs, we'd run him out of town on a rail 

It was similar to Pittsburgh in 2010, we just bottled it.

Fitz ultimately took the brunt of the blame but the whole team came out flat. The conditions were brutal at the start, may as well have been played on the side of a mountain - Whoever established the run was always going to have a huge advantage. 

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It was similar to Pittsburgh in 2010, we just bottled it.

Fitz ultimately took the brunt of the blame but the whole team came out flat. The conditions were brutal at the start, may as well have been played on the side of a mountain - Whoever established the run was always going to have a huge advantage. 

It was a total team effort(minus Marshall) and that includes coaches.  Fitz gets blamed b/c he played awful in the biggest game of his life.  He deserves his share of the blame but it was a team effort.

Starting from the offseason the Bills were picked to contend with the Jets predicted to bring up the rear of the division.

Rexs team under performed but won week 17, the Jets over performed and lost week 17.

So obviously the Bills with Rex are in better shape moving forward

Fitzpatrick had a poor game

Revis couldn't cover Watkins

For some reason Steven Ridley became Plan A

The one thing that Bowles needs to improve on next year is to take the 'Don't let their best players beat you' attitude.'  We lost games to the Texans and Bills purely becasue we let their best players win games when other parts of those teams were not to be feared.

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I so wish we still had Rex.... I mean, I don't care so much about meaningful games, its the meaningless ones that really matter..... So impressive he was able to win 2 SB's by the Jets handing him games. Bills have something special there.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Starting from the offseason the Bills were picked to contend with the Jets predicted to bring up the rear of the division.

Rexs team under performed but won week 17, the Jets over performed and lost week 17.

So obviously the Bills with Rex are in better shape moving forward

Curious, what does Rex Ryan have to do with the Jets not being prepared for a win and in game? 

Just now, JiF said:

Curious, what does Rex Ryan have to do with the Jets not being prepared for a win and in game? 

Im just sayin, like if we had the great Rex still, we would never be unprepared for a game, and we would win it n all that kind of stuff. And I really miss him, as I know you do too

14 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I so wish we still had Rex.... I mean, I don't care so much about meaningful games, its the meaningless ones that really matter..... So impressive he was able to win 2 SB's by the Jets handing him games. Bills have something special there.

I am happy w/ Bowles(other than week 17) but I loved Rex.  Imagine what we would have done w/ him and all this talent?

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Just as curious as I am on people ignoring the entire 2015 season, only paying attention off of week 17? 

Rex sucks and this is unarguable.

That said, Bowles has no excuse for the travesty of that game. That and the Texans game were two of the worst prepared Jets teams I've ever witnessed. The fact that Fitz was Fitz should surprise no one, however.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Im just sayin, like if we had the great Rex still, we would never be unprepared for a game, and we would win it n all that kind of stuff. And I really miss him, as I know you do too

Havent given it much thought, to be honest. Now that you mention it, Rex was entertaining.  Todd is kind of boring.  I guess if we're going to choke and miss the playoffs, at least make it entertaining.  lol

On the reals, I find it concerning that Colon said they were unprepared.  That shouldnt happen vs. an opponent you're seeing for the 2nd time, in the division, in a "win and in" scenario.  I still think the Jets could have won a game or 2 in the playoffs.  They certainly had one of the more talented teams in the AFC.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I am happy w/ Bowles(other than week 17) but I loved Rex.  Imagine what we would have done w/ him and all this talent?

This team undoubtedly would have won the SB if Rex was the HC. I mean, this Jets team was so much more talented in every way than the Bills team was, and we only won 2 more games than them. Biggest mistake ever letting go of Rex.

This team undoubtedly would have won the SB if Rex was the HC. I mean, this Jets team was so much more talented in every way than the Bills team was, and we only won 2 more games than them. Biggest mistake ever letting go of Rex.

haha, we would have been a playoff team and had a chance.

Buffalo was not as talented as us(especially when they supposed best player on D quits) and they had big injuries to key guys or they easily make the playoffs.

Just as curious as I am on people ignoring the entire 2015 season, only paying attention off of week 17? 

Eagles, Raiders, Texans, Bills twice.  Just win one of those very winnable games and they're in.  It's easy to focus on Week 17 because of the situation and the opponent and especially the HC.  And well, that's how the season ended.  

I get your point and agree 100%.  However, and like I said above, its still concerning that Colon said they were unprepared. 

Bowles was a Rookie HC and he had some growing pains. I like Bowles.  I just hope he can learn from his mistakes.  He seems a bit stubborn.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Havent given it much thought, to be honest. Now that you mention it, Rex was entertaining.  Todd is kind of boring.  I guess if we're going to choke and miss the playoffs, at least make it entertaining.  lol

On the reals, I find it concerning that Colon said they were unprepared.  That shouldnt happen vs. an opponent you're seeing for the 2nd time, in the division, in a "win and in" scenario.  I still think the Jets could have won a game or 2 in the playoffs.  They certainly had one of the more talented teams in the AFC.

Colon didn't have to say it, we all knew they were unprepared watching the game.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I don't really take much that Colon says seriously, he likes to hear himself talk. The Bills are a terrible matchup for the Jets, and the Jets beat themselves more than the Bills beat them in either game. If the Jets had the horrible Fitzpatrick, and the horrible Bowles, not sure how we could have won any playoff games.....

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Eagles, Raiders, Texans, Bills twice.  Just win one of those very winnable games and they're in.  It's easy to focus on Week 17 because of the situation and the opponent and especially the HC.  And well, that's how the season ended.  

I get your point and agree 100%.  However, and like I said above, its still concerning that Colon said they were unprepared. 

Bowles was a Rookie HC and he had some growing pains. I like Bowles.  I just hope he can learn from his mistakes.  He seems a bit stubborn.  

Colon has his right to his opinion.  But he wasnt playing, was already injured, doesnt know what went into the preparation for that game.  His opinion doesnt give any deep insight into what happened.  

Dont know if preparation was more to blame than poor execution

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

haha, we would have been a playoff team and had a chance.

Buffalo was not as talented as us(especially when they supposed best player on D quits) and they had big injuries to key guys or they easily make the playoffs.

Funny, before the season, EVERYONE said the Bills had so much more talent than us, and they essentially had the same schedule.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Colon didn't have to say it, we all knew they were unprepared watching the game.

It was the biggest head scratcher game I can recall as a Jets fan.   Right next to when Schotty had Mark throwing the ball 50 times in gale force winds when they were running through the Bills D like it was swiss cheese. Go figure both times it was vs. the Bills and both times it involved Rex Ryan.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ultimately thats a stupid way to compare the job the two HCs did.

I don't care what Rex did in Buffalo, I am only discussing Bowles.  I LIKE Bowles but ultimately he failed w/ a playoff caliber team against a creampuff sched.  He did a nice job overall but couldn't come through when we needed him most.

3 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I don't really take much that Colon says seriously, he likes to hear himself talk. The Bills are a terrible matchup for the Jets, and the Jets beat themselves more than the Bills beat them in either game. If the Jets had the horrible Fitzpatrick, and the horrible Bowles, not sure how we could have won any playoff games.....

You're very dramatic.  lol

Colon has his right to his opinion.  But he wasnt playing, was already injured, doesnt know what went into the preparation for that game.  His opinion doesnt give any deep insight into what happened.  

Dont know if preparation was more to blame than poor execution

Huh?  You dont think he was there?  lol

Funny, before the season, EVERYONE said the Bills had so much more talent than us, and they essentially had the same schedule.

Going into the offseason Buf had a lot more talent than us but after FA and the draft we had certianly closed the gap.  Add that their starting QB missed 3 games I believe and Watkins missed time and their star D player quit and you can see how Bowles had more to work with.

Archived