Peake or Marshall?

Jetster

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think there's a good chance of that happening. The team probably wants these kids to give them a reason to not pay Thompkins the better part of $2M for the year. The good thing is with Marshall & Decker they don't necessarily need another veteran like Thompkins, whose RFA-tagged salary isn't guaranteed.

Tagging Thompkins has all the smells of an emergency contingency plan based on who they did or didn't get in the draft, and to have another warm body on board so they don't reach for a 'must get' instant #3-4 WR. Especially without knowing where Smith is going to be in his rehab 4-6 months later.

Makes a lot of sense when you're in such a bad place Cap wise..... every $ counts right now!

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure which WR makes the roster but I do lnow the Jets are running out of time to make that decision.  

Doesn't the final 53 need to be decided just before the season starts? There's no rush.to cut these guys.... especially if injuries pop up.

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Makes a lot of sense when you're in such a bad place Cap wise..... every $ counts right now!

That's why I said it. But as an non-guaranteed amount, it wasn't crazy to do it in the first place. Not unless we find out we were $1M short in bidding for someone else because we didn't have the cap space, which is far-fetched.

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Doesn't the final 53 need to be decided just before the season starts? There's no rush.to cut these guys.... especially if injuries pop up.

Heh, my comment was meant tongue-in-cheek.  People are already saying "which of A or B will make it" so I was having a little fun w/ that.

Why don't we wait to see how these guys look at training camp before we decide who we want on the roster and who we don't. We still have a long summer for these kids to earn a spot and there will be other kids cut from other teams who will probably join the competition

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Whichever of our promising young WRs and promising young punter doesn't make the squad will surely go on to have a great career for the Patriots, a la Danny Woodhead.  It always bugged me how Woodhead seemed to want revenge on the Jets when they were the team that drafted him.  Regardless, that whole thing still upsets me.

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yeah he could be a factor too.  I think it's refreshing to have extra talent for a change, lol.  2 years ago, you could fit Peake, Archer, Marshall, and Robinson on the team without much stretch.  

Thompkins is interesting, but I also think he was a better fit with Fitz than any of the current QBs.  I think the current guys are much better deep passers, so they would want true burners out there because it changes the dynamics of the defense so much to have a safety be shaded over to where the speed guy is.   

I meant Robby Anderson, sorry, I screwed that up.  He's another one with really good upside, but he needs to put on weight urgently.  He has major trouble with press coverage, but he has a ton of potential as well.   I think the current regime emphasizes size/speed and he has those in spades.   

I don't think Anderson doesn't need to put on that much weight right away.  He just needs to get stronger.  He is one of those skinny, wirey types , who can excel because they are FAST.  More important is the fact he can change speeds very rapidly and seems to have that extra gear.  If he can run good routes, he will get open.  The the little film I did see on Anderson, showed me he can get separation deep now.  

5 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Line up Enunwa as the FB on the rare occasion a FB is needed.

Any H Back can play FB for us, so there will be options, a few guys are going to have to be cut to keep Anderson, Marshall, Peake,

Thompkins could make the cut, he is a big play wr.

22 minutes ago, 77DRAFT said:

Any H Back can play FB for us, so there will be options, a few guys are going to have to be cut to keep Anderson, Marshall, Peake,

Thompkins could make the cut, he is a big play wr.

Unless the season is on the line.

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I don't think Anderson doesn't need to put on that much weight right away.  He just needs to get stronger.  He is one of those skinny, wirey types , who can excel because they are FAST.  More important is the fact he can change speeds very rapidly and seems to have that extra gear.  If he can run good routes, he will get open.  The the little film I did see on Anderson, showed me he can get separation deep now.  

Yeah, he should get stronger too but his frame is very lean, so I think he needs to get bigger.  He gets out-muscled at the line by college corners, so if they play man coverage on him, he's going to have trouble beating someone off the line consistently.  

One thing I noticed from his game tape, guy gets super hyped up for catches.  Pretty much jumps up and down after catching like an out route.

These guys are going to have it WAY easier than the Jet WRs they were throwing out there in 2013/2014. Imagine your a WR asked to start as a 1/2 like Gates & Hill were, drawing the best CBs in the NFL. 

With Marshall, Decker, maybe Amaro, Enunwa, guys like Peake & Anderson would be drawing 3rd & 4th CBs. Not many teams have the Jets depth of Revis, Marcus, Skrine, after them it's Dougs, Milliner, you get my point.

Enunwa had some big catches matched up against some of those shrimps, (always seems teams have to go with speed so these 3/4/5 CBs are usually not that big either.)

Now in 2016 you add another RB like Forte & you already have Powell (2 guys very shifty that can catch the ball) and your forcing LBs & Safeties to play closer to the LOS. Now these young WRs get a lot more free releases, you can't cover everyone & you most certainly can't press everyone when you've got so many in the box trying to stop swing passes to RBs. One slip on the outside & it's a TD.

13 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, he should get stronger too but his frame is very lean, so I think he needs to get bigger.  He gets out-muscled at the line by college corners, so if they play man coverage on him, he's going to have trouble beating someone off the line consistently.  

One thing I noticed from his game tape, guy gets super hyped up for catches.  Pretty much jumps up and down after catching like an out route.

I like his energy.  Sometimes being lean is a good thing because it is harder for the defense to grab you.  I am sure he will get a little bigger and stronger but to me what is most important is , his hands, route running and acceleration.   I think a good comparison for him is Martavius Bryant.  He is just under 6'4 and ways about 211 pounds.  That can be a good target weight for Anderson but he need not bulk up too quickly.  Just adding 5 - 10 pounds this year would be sufficient to me. 

29 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I like his energy.  Sometimes being lean is a good thing because it is harder for the defense to grab you.  I am sure he will get a little bigger and stronger but to me what is most important is , his hands, route running and acceleration.   I think a good comparison for him is Martavius Bryant.  He is just under 6'4 and ways about 211 pounds.  That can be a good target weight for Anderson but he need not bulk up too quickly.  Just adding 5 - 10 pounds this year would be sufficient to me. 

I think both Peake and Anderson are from the Bryant mold, and should have a future with the team.  Anderson might take a bit more time because I think he has the strength part to really work on and being able to take the punishment going over the middle.  I think that was one of the problems with Stephen Hill, he got destroyed a few times, and then he just heard footsteps whenever he went down the middle for a catch.  

I'm wondering why both of them dropped though.  This wasn't a particularly strong WR class (the Bryant class was ridiculously deep for everyone but Idzik) so I don't understand why they would drop so much.  Just from tapes, scouting reports, and combines, these two are similar to Hill/Bryant in terms of upside.  Why did they drop so much?

41 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think both Peake and Anderson are from the Bryant mold, and should have a future with the team.  Anderson might take a bit more time because I think he has the strength part to really work on and being able to take the punishment going over the middle.  I think that was one of the problems with Stephen Hill, he got destroyed a few times, and then he just heard footsteps whenever he went down the middle for a catch.  

I'm wondering why both of them dropped though.  This wasn't a particularly strong WR class (the Bryant class was ridiculously deep for everyone but Idzik) so I don't understand why they would drop so much.  Just from tapes, scouting reports, and combines, these two are similar to Hill/Bryant in terms of upside.  Why did they drop so much?

Good question; obviously both players have some flaws but sometimes guys do fall through the cracks.  I mean injury consideration obviously played a part in Peake dropping and I think Andersons' slight frame may have scared off some teams and caused him to go undrafted.  I mean when you consider the talent levels of these two guys and then add Marshall, it looks like our revamped scouting department may be paying dividends.   Time will tell who was right; the good thing is if they all flop, we only invested a 7th rounder as the other two are UDFAs, but if they are legit, and only need to be coached up..... Bam! 

8 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Good question; obviously both players have some flaws but sometimes guys do fall through the cracks.  I mean injury consideration obviously played a part in Peake dropping and I think Andersons' slight frame may have scared off some teams and caused him to go undrafted.  I mean when you consider the talent levels of these two guys and then add Marshall, it looks like our revamped scouting department may be paying dividends.   Time will tell who was right; the good thing is if they all flop, we only invested a 7th rounder as the other two are UDFAs, but if they are legit, and only need to be coached up..... Bam! 

Yeah, I kept trying to find reasons why they would drop, but I just wasn't sure I could point to anything.  

One theory was that, these last two drafts were considered deep at the WR core, and teams may have just de-valued the position because they invested in it in the last two years and were looking to fill other holes.  However, I do think teams would take advantage of physical freaks with value, so not sure why they dropped to the 7th and UDA.  How did someone like Demarcus Robinson, who profiles similarly go in the 4th?

I think the injury aspect may have played a part for Peake but all the reports I've read indicate no red flags at medical checkups.  Atleast with Anderson, I can see why teams would be afraid of the size issue, although teams do take smaller slot guys, and they are more bound to be lit up by a LB than someone running 9 routes to start the career.  

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the WR additions in this draft.  Marshall can replace Kerley, while Peake and Anderson can really help with the deep speed.  

14 hours ago, win4ever said:

Peake dropped because his knee got ****ed up two years in a row, wasn't able to play for three years and just finally got productive football in, before last year when he played at Clemson he would show signs of greatness, but then something with that same knee came up. He is healthy now, and works his knee out and such where he really didn't lose much speed, or his sharp route running ability, he's good to go now

Archived