Have fans forgotten how FA works?

Snell41

As fantastic as Marshall was He cost us 2 games last year. Did you forget to mention that ? I hate to bring that up because I love Marshall but my math makes us 12-4.

Jets didn't even make the playoffs last year but your math has them at 12-4?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets didn't even make the playoffs last year but your math has them at 12-4?

I think he is saying Marshall cost them 2 games or they would have been 12-4 which is ludicrous b/c w/o Marshall we aren't anywhere near 10-6.  Marshall dropped some passes, made some bad plays but no way did he cost us 2 games.

I think he is saying Marshall cost them 2 games or they would have been 12-4 which is ludicrous b/c w/o Marshall we aren't anywhere near 10-6.  Marshall dropped some passes, made some bad plays but no way did he cost us 2 games.

Absolutely agree, Marshall had a great year.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

Absolutely agree, Marshall had a great year.

we upgraded the talent almost everywhere but Marshall was THE biggest reason we improved so much.  For someone to say he cost us 2 games while backing Fitz makes no sense to me but we are all entitled to our opinions.  That is what makes the board fun, it wouldn't be fun if we all just agreed.

You guys keep going on and on about Fitz the player. This isn't about Fitz's performance last year or next year. This is about what Fitz is worth. The league has spoken, no one is willing to sign him for starter money. He has not had one offer of value to start. How do we know this? Because if he did he would have to press the Jets to match or better that offer before losing the offer. He would not risk losing a starter level deal elsewhere in the "hopes" the Jets might match it someday. Conversely if he were fielding backup offers you could say with a great deal of certainty he'd be signed at a high dollar value relative to backups.

That's the bottom line brass tax of this. When it comes to money a players value is set by competition for his services. You preemptively may lock a player in knowing with certainly that his FA value may be high, but in this case we allowed the player to test the open market and he has no offers. Again, the market has spoken. You pay him the high end value of a backup. If his only leverage of retirement concerns you then you offer performance incentives for him to achieve to earn more. But that's all. Giving him guaranteed money above market value is like walking into a store and offering to pay more than list price simply because you're the only one on the planet who thinks it's worth more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On May 24, 2016 at 1:23 PM, j4jets said:

His potential, his talent, and his skills are not enough to take us anywhere. Even during the easiest schedule we've had possibly ever, he melted against a depleted D. He relied heavily on the WRs last season along with facing some seriously bad Ds. To top that off, having to pay him 10+ mil is just insane. 

In 10 years, players of his caliber will probably be getting 20 million a year. QB is the most important position in sports.

When was the last time the Jets had an offense as good as last year? We cannot sit there and refuse to sign this guy because he's only good with our receivers. That's pointless. He drove us down 80 yards against the Pats, he marched us down against Dallas in Dallas, and he helped us beat the Giants. 

His potential is not the reason I want him. It's the stability until we find someone that can take us to the promise land. To be honest with you, I've never seen our offense click on all cylinders like we did last year. I can think of 2004 when we had Pennington - Curtis - Moss - Coles - WC. Other than that, I recall predictable offenses with Hackett and Schotty making the calls. Our offense is not our only strength. 

36 minutes ago, Ghost said:

In 10 years, players of his caliber will probably be getting 20 million a year. QB is the most important position in sports.

When was the last time the Jets had an offense as good as last year? We cannot sit there and refuse to sign this guy because he's only good with our receivers. That's pointless. He drove us down 80 yards against the Pats, he marched us down against Dallas in Dallas, and he helped us beat the Giants. 

His potential is not the reason I want him. It's the stability until we find someone that can take us to the promise land. To be honest with you, I've never seen our offense click on all cylinders like we did last year. I can think of 2004 when we had Pennington - Curtis - Moss - Coles - WC. Other than that, I recall predictable offenses with Hackett and Schotty making the calls. Our offense is not our only strength. 

Who cares what someone will make in 2026? And let me explain myself. He was good (barely average type good) for a few reasons. 

1. Leagues easiest schedule (not in his control but it's still a reasoning)

2. Faced the leagues worst pass Ds. Played against I believe 14 of the 16 worst pass Ds. 

3. Had possibly the best WR duo. 

And he didn't make the playoffs. Everything clicked for him n it still wasn't enough. I don't want a QB that can't take us to the playoffs after everything clicking for him. That's Fitz. 

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

Who cares what someone will make in 2026? And let me explain myself. He was good (barely average type good) for a few reasons. 

1. Leagues easiest schedule (not in his control but it's still a reasoning)

2. Faced the leagues worst pass Ds. Played against I believe 14 of the 16 worst pass Ds. 

3. Had possibly the best WR duo. 

And he didn't make the playoffs. Everything clicked for him n it still wasn't enough. I don't want a QB that can't take us to the playoffs after everything clicking for him. That's Fitz. 

Then you must be like we'll get better with another QB. Who did you have in mind? 

On 5/23/2016 at 10:16 AM, Snell41 said:

When a player you're interested his the free agent market his agents work to get him the best deal possible. The market bears his value based on the offers received from teams. If a GM really wants the player, he pays a little more than other teams offer in simple terms. That's Free Agency in a nutshell.

Having said that, Ryan Fitzpatrick has been on the market selling his services as a starter for months now. He has received zero offers. The market has spoken. He has greatly overstated his value. Now mind you if he fielded offers as a backup I'm sure he'd get plenty of offers. So that's your market value for the player. We should not be offering him anything more than a higher end backup QB value in the 4-5m range, and because we can imply he would likely be the starter for us, add in incentive clauses that he can earn if he is the starter.

How the hell people are talking about giving the guy 10m a year or more for multiple years is mind numbingly stupid. Have you all lost your minds? The guaranteed money nothing to do with how he played last year, nor how you think he may play (that's what incentives are for), it is market value. Fitz's only leverage is retirement, and frankly if that's where his head is at then by all means go ahead.

What some of you guys are advocating is to pay millions more than the market value of the player. Deals like that are what kill franchises and make them look like the senile Al Davis Raider days.

It's simple : with Fitz , we have a chance to win

with Geno , we have no chance in hell !!!!!!! 

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

Exactly. Have fun watching us win 4-6 games with Geno ******* Smith. 

Ok, you got me convinced. Let's roll with Fitz. He'll get us 2-10 wins, miss the playoffs and get a late draft pick every year. 

On 5/24/2016 at 6:01 PM, Snell41 said:

You guys keep going on and on about Fitz the player. This isn't about Fitz's performance last year or next year. This is about what Fitz is worth. The league has spoken, no one is willing to sign him for starter money. He has not had one offer of value to start. How do we know this? Because if he did he would have to press the Jets to match or better that offer before losing the offer. He would not risk losing a starter level deal elsewhere in the "hopes" the Jets might match it someday. Conversely if he were fielding backup offers you could say with a great deal of certainty he'd be signed at a high dollar value relative to backups.

That's the bottom line brass tax of this. When it comes to money a players value is set by competition for his services. You preemptively may lock a player in knowing with certainly that his FA value may be high, but in this case we allowed the player to test the open market and he has no offers. Again, the market has spoken. You pay him the high end value of a backup. If his only leverage of retirement concerns you then you offer performance incentives for him to achieve to earn more. But that's all. Giving him guaranteed money above market value is like walking into a store and offering to pay more than list price simply because you're the only one on the planet who thinks it's worth more.

The Jets are in the league, no?  They've spoken too.  They said $12 million apparently.  We have no idea what Denver was willing to pay when they called Fitz.

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

Ok, you got me convinced. Let's roll with Fitz. He'll get us 2-10 wins, miss the playoffs and get a late draft pick every year. 

Fitzpatrick looks like Tom Brady compared to Geno. LOL

29 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Fitzpatrick looks like Tom Brady compared to Geno. LOL

If you meant Tom Brady minus all the playoffs, wins n comebacks, then yeah, he does. So no thank you. I'd go with a QB with the higher ceiling since Fitz has already reached his ceiling. 

16 hours ago, j4jets said:

If you meant Tom Brady minus all the playoffs, wins n comebacks, then yeah, he does. So no thank you. I'd go with a QB with the higher ceiling since Fitz has already reached his ceiling. 

Geno's ceiling is comical LOLOLOL

16 hours ago, j4jets said:

youth and a stronger arm is not a higher ceiling

2 hours ago, ylekram said:

youth and a stronger arm is not a higher ceiling

But an always under performing QB that has never made the playoffs is? Through the roof type ceiling, I must add. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Please tell me you're not talking about the season finale in 2014.. Please. 

Would you rather wanna talk about 2015s season finale? I'm open to that as well

Archived