Swimming pool owners lets hear the pros and cons.

joewilly12

MY GF had a pool, a NICE pool, in ground.  I told her growing up in NY, very few people had a pool. I then "pontificated" that the 2 families I knew with pools, their kids grew up very dysfunctional.  WHY? The parents were more "its for the kids" type parents. They 

weren't mentors/teachers of their kids, they were care providers and wanted to be their buddy.  Yes, I know im an a$shole on this subject but I bet if a regression study was done, it would support my theory.

So pool owners are bad parents...intersting theory, have you contacted any sociology professors about your findings?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

So pool owners are bad parents...intersting theory, have you contacted any sociology professors about your findings?

Its a loose theory based on my 2 buddies with built in pools who have amounted to basically less than the rest of the guys on the block. The "Smiley" was supposed to convey my humor.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

We put an above ground pool in years ago. Last year it reached the end of its life. I dismantled it, threw it out and we thought about not getting a pool again. We built our deck so we could leave the house, walk on the deck and it was at pool level.

So we were stuck with this weird deck and no pool. Really thought about being done with it. Then said screw it and we had a new pool put up late last summer.

We had a problem with the cover when we closed it and leaves got in it. We opened it up, got it all cleaned up, was a big chore, because there were so many leaves. Had it crystal clear for a week or two and then we got algae. Got that cleared up and then we had another problem. Wasn't sure what that was but turns out it was pollen.

The chemical levels have been perfect but the pool looked discolored.

Anyhow long story short, At Home Recreation just opened a store here and they are amazing. They helped us...phosphate remover to make sure algae has no food source. They told us to point the eye towards the floor away from the skimmer. That creates a whirpool effect and keeps everything off the floor.

Vaccumed tonight on waste and the POOL IS PERFECT.

We not have a maintenance plan chemical wise which is simple. At Home Rec does an amazing water test. I even bought an automatic vaccuum which is great.

So that is my way of saying even though it was a lot of work, we are really happy that we have a pool again. Our back yard is full sun so it warms up really quickly and my kids are in it all the time. Definitely glad we got a new pool again last year.

We had our above ground pool for 18 years kids were small when we got it we got hours of thorough enjoyment out of it, A pool is work no doubt have to weigh your options and decide whats best for you. I always said when its time to replace it I would go  unground. 

When the water goes bad it goes bad been there done that costing hundreds in chemicals. 

Be safe anyone with a pool and always keep an eye on the little ones. 

We will be shopping this fall/winter for the best deal possible. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

It took you 15 days to come up with that?

I try to IGNORE you 

46 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

LOL. 2 for 2.

Piñata (@JoeWilly 12) meets the Stick ( PatsFanTx) EVERY TIME !!!

Yes I'm hurt and humiliated by TX..........:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

anyone have thoughts on the best way to get rid of algae from a pool keeps happening consistently and it's frustrating.

are you cleaning yourself Phil? have you let a 'Pro' give it a shot yet? I think if you call Pool Cleaning Company for possible 'I will hire you for cleanings' they come, look, give free consultation. You may get your answer via a Free consult you never intend to invoke

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

anyone have thoughts on the best way to get rid of algae from a pool keeps happening consistently and it's frustrating.

Backwash your filter a few times,shock the pool check your PH,Alkalinity and Chlorine stabilizer GOOD LUCK!

9 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

are you cleaning yourself Phil? have you let a 'Pro' give it a shot yet? I think if you call Pool Cleaning Company for possible 'I will hire you for cleanings' they come, look, give free consultation. You may get your answer via a Free consult you never intend to invoke

It is an above ground pool. Nobody around hear will do cleanings for above ground. I would gladly pay if they did.

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Backwash your filter a few times,shock the pool check your PH,Alkalinity and Chlorine stabilizer GOOD LUCK!

Done, done, done and done, many times unfortunately. The pool store keeps telling us our water is perfect. We get it tested every week at this point. Frustrating.

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Done, done, done and done, many times unfortunately. The pool store keeps telling us our water is perfect. We get it tested every week at this point. Frustrating.

Take a shower before swimming. Cookie crumbs can't be good for the filter. 

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

have you tried changing the sand or DE in the filter. 

20 hours ago, Maxman said:

chlorine to algae is like antibiotics to bacteria, a steady level of chlorine only kills 99% of it, the remaining 1% is resistant.  That is why you must "shock" the system, which causes a spike to the free chlorine levels and lets the chlorine do its thing.

even if you keep a steady 3.0 level of chlorine with chrlorinator, floater, or god forbid tabs in the skimmer (tabs are acidic, so you are dumping low pH into your pump and heater....the filter can take it) you can get algae, it may take a few weeks but you will get it.

1) get a really good test kit that tests for free chlorine, not just total chlorine or chloramines.

2) keep it at 1.5 ppm to 2.5 ppm.

3) shock weekly with a good powder, not liquid.  be careful, the powder puts off gasses if you get it wet before adding it.

4) brush !!   just brushing the algae loose will deter growth.  the best time to brush is after shocking, to help mix the powder, and it also sanitizes the brush.

extra credit : test your cyanuric acid or chlorine stabilizer levels if your pool gets lots of sunlight.  sunlight breaks chlorine down, this acid prevents that and saves you money in the long run and you get the best use of what you are putting in.

I don't like algaecides for a system that backwashes into the ground, because algaecides are bad for plant life (duh) but its ok to use them if you have a sep tank or cartridge filter.

Leaning towards the salt water system a few friends have salt water pools and seem to never have issues when we had our above ground pool every time my wife went to the pool place she came home with at least $40 worth of chemicals and every time she went back the same scenario repeated. I probably wont use them after if we decide to get a new pool.Some of these places are complete rip offs. 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

chlorine to algae is like antibiotics to bacteria, a steady level of chlorine only kills 99% of it, the remaining 1% is resistant.  That is why you must "shock" the system, which causes a spike to the free chlorine levels and lets the chlorine do its thing.

even if you keep a steady 3.0 level of chlorine with chrlorinator, floater, or god forbid tabs in the skimmer (tabs are acidic, so you are dumping low pH into your pump and heater....the filter can take it) you can get algae, it may take a few weeks but you will get it.

1) get a really good test kit that tests for free chlorine, not just total chlorine or chloramines.

2) keep it at 1.5 ppm to 2.5 ppm.

3) shock weekly with a good powder, not liquid.  be careful, the powder puts off gasses if you get it wet before adding it.

4) brush !!   just brushing the algae loose will deter growth.  the best time to brush is after shocking, to help mix the powder, and it also sanitizes the brush.

extra credit : test your cyanuric acid or chlorine stabilizer levels if your pool gets lots of sunlight.  sunlight breaks chlorine down, this acid prevents that and saves you money in the long run and you get the best use of what you are putting in.

I don't like algaecides for a system that backwashes into the ground, because algaecides are bad for plant life (duh) but its ok to use them if you have a sep tank or cartridge filter.

Two questions ...

1. Where do you live?

2. Do you want to be best friends?

Lol

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Leaning towards the salt water system a few friends have salt water pools and seem to never have issues when we had our above ground pool every time my wife went to the pool place she came home with at least $40 worth of chemicals and every time she went back the same scenario repeated. I probably wont use them after if we decide to get a new pool.Some of these places are complete rip offs. 

how much is the generator including installation, how much is the salt, and how much is a replacement cell, how much is the extra KW on your electric bill and how often will you clean the cells ?

pool businesses have 5 months to make their revenue up here in the north.  the markups reflect that

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

how much is the generator including installation, how much is the salt, and how much is a replacement cell, how much is the extra KW on your electric bill and how often will you clean the cells ?

pool businesses have 5 months to make their revenue up here in the north.  the markups reflect that

I was told the filter didnt need to run 24/7 but on a cycle totaling about 8 hours a day my friend has a cartridge filter again we are getting 3 estimates for a complete inground system I'm learning along the way about this salt venture nothing is in stone yet. 

Newer salt systems seem to be a lot less complicated than older ones.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Bethel CT, near rte 84

only if you have lots of beer and big boobs

I have half of the things on that list. The other half I can buy, at a liquor store lol.

Alright turns out I think we have a yellow algae. We were told to keep the phosphate level low (none) and that is the food source for algae. But that apparently is only part of the problem.  We test for that all that time now and it is okay but the pollen seems to be a minor issue.

I am taking everything @Larz said and running with it. We were putting the chlorine in the skimmer, so we just bought a floating chlorine dispenser. They told us to do a copper algecide treatment and we just took Larz's advice with the powder shock. Scrubbing the hell out of everything and then going to vacuum it all up.

Really want to get this right soon. Lauren starts chemo next week, so we aren't going to have a million free hours for maintenance. We did buy an automatic vacuum so we will keep letting that run more. Sounds like change the chlorine method, shock weekly, brush regularly and vacuum. Hope that does the trick.

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Alright turns out I think we have a yellow algae. We were told to keep the phosphate level low (none) and that is the food source for algae. But that apparently is only part of the problem.  We test for that all that time now and it is okay but the pollen seems to be a minor issue.

I am taking everything @Larz said and running with it. We were putting the chlorine in the skimmer, so we just bought a floating chlorine dispenser. They told us to do a copper algecide treatment and we just took Larz's advice with the powder shock. Scrubbing the hell out of everything and then going to vacuum it all up.

Really want to get this right soon. Lauren starts chemo next week, so we aren't going to have a million free hours for maintenance. We did buy an automatic vacuum so we will keep letting that run more. Sounds like change the chlorine method, shock weekly, brush regularly and vacuum. Hope that does the trick.

Thanks guys!

Max an inline chlorinator works so much better and allows you to turn it up or down depending on the need.

Archived