Jets Hope ’16 Version of Milliner Boosts Dee

JetNation

Dee Milliner

By Glenn Naughton

The start of the 2016 NFL season could very well be the most important few months in the career of Jets cornerback Dee Milliner, and his health and on-field performance could go a long way in elevating the overall play of what was a very good defense for the Jets last season.

Right about now, Milliner isn’t as much of an afterthought as he is a punchline to some Jets fans.  Many having all but dismissed any possibility of the often dinged up former Alabama star producing on Sundays before his contract expires at the end of this season.

Jets cornerback Buster Skrine is slated to start opposite Darrelle Revis.

Jets cornerback Buster Skrine is slated to start opposite Darrelle Revis.

Milliner’s time in New York has been marred by a litany of injuries including an ankle sprain, a torn achilles tendon and a wrist injury requiring surgery that kept him out for much of 2015.  The injuries shouldn’t come as much of a surprise given the fact that despite rarely missing game time at Alabama, the 6′, 201 lb Milliner did undergo five different surgeries in college.  If injuries were a regular thing at the collegiate level, what were the odds of them becoming less frequent or severe when Milliner’s opponents got bigger, faster and stronger?

Now entering his fourth pro season, and having played in just 21 of 48 possible contests (14 starts) due to injury thus far, a breakout season for Milliner isn’t likely, but should it happen, could go a long way in fixing one of Gang Green’s biggest liabilities on defense last season, that being the cornerback position that was previously filled by since-departed veteran, Antonio Cromartie.

As a team in 2015, the Jets allowed 25 touchdowns through the air, seven of which,or 28%, came against Cromartie.  That’s far too high of a number for any one player to surrender if the Jets are hoping  to go from good to great.

Head Coach Todd Bowles said publicly that last year’s nickel cornerback, Buster Skrine, will be given first crack at the job.  Even if he plays well enough to start on the outside, the Jets clearly still like Skrine in the nickel which is where he’s expected to move when opponents go to a 3 wide receiver set.

Given the frequency with which teams utilize three or more receivers, the Jets number two corner in their sub package should wind up playing more snaps on the outside than Skrine.  Having declined to exercise his fifth-year option, Milliner is now playing not only to prove that the flashes he’s shown are more than just  a fluke, but for a payday when he becomes a free agent after the season.

Milliner reportedly stood out in the team’s most recent round of OTA’s according to defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers who, when asked, praised Milliner’s work up to this point while describing him as “hungry”.

After being benched multiple times as a rookie for poor play before spending most of the past two seasons on the shelf, Milliner should be downright starving.  Is 2016 finally time for Milliner to eat?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
pfG5JG1ym9k

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

^

I get why the Jets did not exercise the option on Milliner, but it would be SOJ for him to do well and leave next year in FA, signing some big contract.

I don't see that happening. 

#1- teams/gms still know he has an injury history and won;t offer him big money (or at least very much guaranteed money) based simply off that. 

#2- he won't get enough playing time -IMO- to warrant a large contract. Even if he plays well in camp and pre-season and stays healthy (which are big IFs), there's still Skrine and M.Williams ahead of him on the depth chart. I just don't see him playing SO WELL that he moves up to the #2 spot across from Revis and solidifies himself as a legit #2 CB. That's the only way he will get a big pay day come FA next year. 

In the end, I think the best we can expect from Milliner is to stay healthy and contribute with the opportunities he has. Maybe if a starter goes down to injury, he will get a shot to prove he can step into that role- in which case, if he stays healthy, the Jets will consider bringing him back next year.    

One time, I needed to move two cinder blocks, and all I had on me was a big brown paper bag, and I did not want to scratch up my hands, so I tried to use the brown shopping bag to move two cinder blocks, guess what happened? Dee is about as durable as a shopping bag.

35 minutes ago, GenoTime said:

One time, I needed to move two cinder blocks, and all I had on me was a big brown paper bag, and I did not want to scratch up my hands, so I tried to use the brown shopping bag to move two cinder blocks, guess what happened? Dee is about as durable as a shopping bag.

You use brown paper bags to move cinder blocks for breakfast?

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Did Glenn come up with that headline? Because it's just deelightful.

I came up with a few that were tough to choose from...trust me, it wasn't an easy deecision.

In all seriousness...the number that jumped out to me here was Cromartie giving up 28% of the TD's this defense allowed through the air last season.  I don't think any of the candidates to replace him would see a number that high.  Milliner included.

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

In all seriousness...the number that jumped out to me here was Cromartie giving up 28% of the TD's this defense allowed through the air last season.  I don't think any of the candidates to replace him would see a number that high.  Milliner included.

How many came against Skrine? Number can't be too far off. 

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The health benefits of yoga are numerous. Not sure if it can help him cover receivers better though.

No issues covering IMO...it's all about his health.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

No issues covering IMO...it's all about his health.

Well that we will have to agree to disagree. Two coaching staffs have benched him or chosen to play over him undrafted free agents when he was perfectly healthy. He's not a man to man corner. Just doesn't seem to have the skill set for press.  

19 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Well that we will have to agree to disagree. Two coaching staffs have benched him or chosen to play over him undrafted free agents when he was perfectly healthy. He's not a man to man corner. Just doesn't seem to have the skill set for press.  

Agree to disagree indeed.

IF he stays healthy, we'll find out.

Archived