Training camp thread 08/02/16

Maxman

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Or......scoring!  I know, I know, this has seemed out of the question most years. 

Yes, scoring helps! I'd love to see us with some leads & get the ball to some speedsters in the 2nd half of games when the D is slightly gassed. A Morris 75 yarder or a J. Marshall slant that goes all the way. I was watching some Fitz picks & a lot of them were to B. Marsh or Decker when there were 3 defenders in the area. He needs to spread it around, Enunwa looks beastly this year, I could see him bowling over people running with Authority. If Fitz spreads it around it will help Brandon & Eric.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here:  Punter has been overrated here because of how bad our offense has been just about ever year.  The best punter is one you rarely have to use. 

Meaning it is possible to overstate how important a good punter would be for us.  When we're complaining about how bad our punting game is, it usually is a signal that we have much bigger problems, and the punter (who isn't really a person anyways) becomes an easy scapegoat.

No matter how good your offense is, you're always going to have drives that go three-and-out or don't cross the 50. With our defense, not giving the opposing team a short field in those situations is a major major benefit

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Seems like Carter is having a nice start to camp. Been hearing his name every day

I think that this was a very underrated signing this off season. I'm not expecting him to be a starting pro bowler, but he brings speed and depth. I think he is going to elevate his game in this defense.  

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yes, scoring helps! I'd love to see us with some leads & get the ball to some speedsters in the 2nd half of games when the D is slightly gassed. A Morris 75 yarder or a J. Marshall slant that goes all the way. I was watching some Fitz picks & a lot of them were to B. Marsh or Decker when there were 3 defenders in the area. He needs to spread it around, Enunwa looks beastly this year, I could see him bowling over people running with Authority. If Fitz spreads it around it will help Brandon & Eric.

He just needs to establish more of a relationship with some of his guys, especially the new faces (like Forte) or guys he didn't get a chance to work with last year (Amaro).  Sometimes that doesn't happen until a few weeks into the season. 

Though with Forte I imagine that transition will happen quickly.  Last year it seemed like Fitz's top 3 options were to throw short to Decker, a bomb to Marshall, or take off running.  Forte offers an excellent alternative for Fitz to throwing into triple coverage or risking an injury.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll play Devil's Advocate here:  Punter has been overrated here because of how bad our offense has been just about ever year.  The best punter is one you rarely have to use.  :)

Meaning it is possible to overstate how important a good punter would be for us.  When we're complaining about how bad our punting game is, it usually is a signal that we have much bigger problems, and the punter (who isn't really a person anyways) becomes an easy scapegoat.

Why have to get 4 or 5 mor 1st downs per game in a tight league because you get out punted most games.  Not to mention our punters saved their worst kicks from our goal line.  It was mind boggling how little it meant to this team in the Rex era when we were all about a running game, good defense and a solid oline.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why have to get 4 or 5 mor 1st downs per game in a tight league because you get out punted most games.  Not to mention our punters saved their worst kicks from our goal line.  It was mind boggling how little it meant to this team in the Rex era when we were all about a running game, good defense and a solid oline.

Please don't misunderstand:  Punter IS important, and its nice to be able to find a good one without a big financial investment.  The difference between an awful one and good one is a big deal, and can be a difference maker in some games.

However, the field position battle cannot matter as much as it has in the past.  Teams need to score early and often in this league, because the difference between starting at your own 20 and your own 35 for successful offenses is pretty meaningless.  An offense with as much quality veteran talent as we have this year needs to carry this team when needed, and if we're talking a lot about our punter a few weeks into this season, it means we're likely headed for 6-10.

I don't think I've ever rooted so hard for a player to get cut as I am for kellen Davis to be shown the door. Feels dirty, because he seems like a good guy. But it would just be such a good statement about the state of the Jets if the team felt like they were able to cut him

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Please don't misunderstand:  Punter IS important, and its nice to be able to find a good one without a big financial investment.  The difference between an awful one and good one is a big deal, and can be a difference maker in some games.

However, the field position battle cannot matter as much as it has in the past.  Teams need to score early and often in this league, because the difference between starting at your own 20 and your own 35 for successful offenses is pretty meaningless.  An offense with as much quality veteran talent as we have this year needs to carry this team when needed, and if we're talking a lot about our punter a few weeks into this season, it means we're likely headed for 6-10.

Our punter ****ed us multiple weeks last year, early on, and it resulted in us talking about him for that span. We were 10-6.

Please stop. 

Archived