Training camp thread 08/09/16

Maxman

Just now, zwick said:

Slightly small but that is not the issue.   There is NO correlation between large hands and being a good QB.    Moron coaches like to over analyze.    Do you know which QBs have the biggest and smallest hands?  Nick Foles has the biggest and he blows.    Aaron Rodgers had the smallest.   I dont think Brady's were  that big either.    Where is the correlation? 

Dan McGuire was 6'8 and Matt Blundin was about 6'7.  I would guess they had pretty big hands.  

Who said there was? There is a correlation between small hands and not being an effective passer however. Hackenberg has tiny hands, smallest in the NFL at the position hands. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just about every other 1st year drafted Qb's on their teams that played last night got some decent results and looked reasonable even for their 1st games.  The fact that Hackenburg is such and utter project that he can't be thought of to get more reps and play in an ex game is a concern.  There is 'bring him along slowly; and then there are 'this guy doesn't look like he belongs in an nfl camp at this point.'

The problem for some of us all along is not taking a guy that needs a ton of work and is being brought along slowly it is having to do this with a 2nd round pick as opposed to other teams with 4,5,6, rounders

I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about, we have a boatload of QBs and they are trying to learn more about Petty right now.  the best thing for hack is to come along very slowly.  if we have to use him this year both we and he are in trouble.  it will set him back like geno 2013.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just about every other 1st year drafted Qb's on their teams that played last night got some decent results and looked reasonable even for their 1st games.  The fact that Hackenburg is such and utter project that he can't be thought of to get more reps and play in an ex game is a concern.  There is 'bring him along slowly; and then there are 'this guy doesn't look like he belongs in an nfl camp at this point.'

The problem for some of us all along is not taking a guy that needs a ton of work and is being brought along slowly it is having to do this with a 2nd round pick as opposed to other teams with 4,5,6, rounders

How many of these first year drafted QB's are #4 on their depth chart? Like the pick or not, the jets have a plan for this kid and it involves a lot of patience

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

How many of these first year drafted QB's are #4 on their depth chart? Like the pick or not, the jets have a plan for this kid and it involves a lot of patience

Yeah that is evident tons of patience no doubt about it.  I wouldn't even say it is bad to develop a kid slowly.  I was not a fan of Hackenburg going into the draft but the jets like him so fine he's one of us.  I just hate where we took a guy that seem so darn far off.  Not far into camp but he sounds worse than pretty well any Qb prospect we have had for years and that includes guys like Geno and such, 

In any case he will be here long term (three years or more) no question about it so I better get used to it

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah that is evident tons of patience no doubt about it.  I wouldn't even say it is bad to develop a kid slowly.  I was not a fan of Hackenburg going into the draft but the jets like him so fine he's one of us.  I just hate where we took a guy that seem so darn far off.  Not far into camp but he sounds worse than pretty well any Qb prospect we have had for years and that includes guys like Geno and such, 

In any case he will be here long term (three years or more) no question about it so I better get used to it

Well if it's any consolation petty seems to have improved quite a bit since this point last year so perhaps the team finally has a capable support system in place. plus it would be very fitting for the jets to finally find their 10 year starter coming from an unlikely prospect they groomed themselves instead of getting the next peyton manning with the top pick in the draft

5 hours ago, zwick said:

That is a myth.    Hack had the same problems at PSU as a freshman.      I like how the media acts like he was great when he was ranked 9th out of 12 QBs in the B10 with Obrien.  

No it isn't and no he did not.  Almost every analyst and person who has followed the kid since high school will tell you otherwise.  Also, rankings from college football will tell you that Tebow was a super star destined for greatness so get that nonsense out of here.  If you can't see that Hackenberg regressed mechanically and refuse to believe that the coaching change, along with PSU having next to zero talent on their O-Line, had anything to do with his accuracy troubles and sloppy footwork (his coach literally forced him to change his natural footing for Christ's sake) than I don't know what to tell you.  He was an 18 year old phenom as a true freshman and looked destined to be the next number one overall pick.  Then PSU gets really destroyed by sanctions, the coaching change happens, he gets hit a million times and ultimately regresses.  Are you going to try and honestly tell me there's no correlation there?

5 hours ago, cant wait said:

Our team has admitted that he needs to be developed and that we need to see if it's worth carrying 4 QB's and people are surprised that the guys with the two huge question marks behind Fitz got the most reps.  I, along with a bunch of other posters here, told everyone don't be surprised if he doesn't play this week.  Of course that never stops anyone from overreacting but still...Hack was never going to play this game from the beginning because it's more valuable to figure out what to do with Petty/Geno first. 

Archived