Training camp thread 08/09/16

Maxman

10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

If they think Petty is starting to 'get it', it maybe Hack that has the phantom injury (especially with the way he 'appears' to be struggling).

Only problem with that is he loses the season, and won't get reps either in the PS or as the scout team.

Lost yr. Season 2 will be starting from scratch again. Unless he can study video and come back week 8-10

by then there may be a roster spot open.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

How much will each QB play vs Jacksonville? My guess: 

Fitzpatrick: 1 series

Geno: 1st Half, 1st drive of 2nd half 

Petty: 3rd qtr, maybe 1st drive of 4th

Hackenberg: Finish up 4th qtr 

Give hack the last 2 possessions of the 4th. 

We need to see more of Geno and Petty.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I hear some folks would count this as a regular season INT for Fitz, and call it an "advanced stat".

way to defend poor decision making. I thought you weren't giving fitz any more excuses? why don't you believe the jets are a playoff team anymore?

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

While true part of ex season is giving guys time whether earned or not.  He needs some reps.

I would give him the 4th quarter of the 4th game.  this is his redshirt year.  he will not play this year under any circumstances, so I wouldn't waste a single good rep on him

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

I doubt we see Hack. You wanna give him reps but you don't wanna demoralize him just yet imo with the kinds of throws he's been making.

He's a work in progress. I was hoping he'd be a little farther ahead by now, but it's a mechanical flaw that needs to be worked on. Until he figures it out, he shouldn't be on the field. It's not fair to him nor the WRs trying to earn a spot on the roster. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What exactly was the point of taking Hackenberg. If the kid cant play just cut your losses sooner than later.

His physical ability has to catch up with his mental ability...atleast thats what im told. Eitherway, I have no problem with developing a QB. We have Fitz as the starter and Geno closely behind if anything were to happen. Perfect opportunity to develop a guy that has the physical ability, great mental intangibles but simply needs fine tuning. 

It beats putting guys out there too soon (Sanchez, Geno) as well as not having the correct coaches around to develop. We'll see some things from Hack in the preseason. I remember last year when Petty first played...he looked like crap. Then he looked somewhat respectable in his last preseason game. Hack is a 2nd round talent for a reason. Give it some time 39. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

While true part of ex season is giving guys time whether earned or not.  He needs some reps.

Eh...the kid is bouncing passes in skeletons! It's way early, but it's seems to me hack is fast-becoming a long term plan. 

I think people saying hack is the guy next year (im not saying YOU said that) are delusional. He sound more like a 2nd round reach with each passing day (no pun intended).

im fine w 0-2 possessions at the end of the game in Thursday. I'm much more interested in seeing pettys progress.

Getting tweets from practice is great since we're all jonesing for any football news. This is getting out of control though.

We are not really judging QBs on how encouraging his tweets are in his first training camp are we?

He hasn't been getting any reps with even the 3rd string. He's working on changing his mechanics a little at a time from what I've heard.

I know when I changed my golf swing, and when I changed my pool bridge I was very awkward for quite awhile. Muscle memory eventually took over from repetition, and it really improved my consistency.  

Now we don't know how he'll turn out, but we know preseason games mean very little. Training camp tweets mean even less. 

43 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I know when I changed my pool bridge I was very awkward for quite awhile. Muscle memory eventually took over from repetition, and it really improved my consistency.  

I'll bet your Contract Bridge and Cribbage games are kick *$$ though !!!

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

From Denvers camp.....lulz

"Situation drill time. The scenario: 43 seconds left in the game, down by two and no timeouts with the ball on the 18 yard line. The object is to run a play and stop the clock for a last second Field Goal attempt with a couple ticks left. No goalposts were harmed during this drill as Brandon McManus didn’t get the nod. So we are talking two simple plays–hand the ball, then take the next snap and spike the ball. Sanchez hands off to C.J. Anderson and then gets the Offense up to the line and set as he turns and looks at the building to watch the clock wind down. I don’t know what he was thinking, because Mark turned back around, took the snap and then took a knee. The entire Defense could not believe what just happened. Taking a knee doesn’t stop the clock. That is the assignment when you want to run out the clock.

They end up running the drill again before Trevor Siemian correctly accomplishes the goal without a hitch. But Paxton Lynch’s rep got taken by Sanchez because there’s the final HORN.

If you are getting nervous about the Broncos Quarterback situation, you aren’t alone. That mental lapse at the end of practice, as well as the second ‘Pick Six’ in as many days gives me a vote of ‘No Confidence’ in Mark Sanchez if he can’t beat out a second-year, 7th round draft pick. I understand that Kubes and Elway are comfortable with the situation, and there is much more to the story, but I’m starting to think that the possibility of Sanchez getting cut is starting to fill out. I am certainly not comfortable with starting the season with 2 Quarterbacks who have Zero snaps in the NFL. This is what I was referring to when I said ‘This is Elway’s gamble’ when he signed Mark Sanchez."

Really looking forward to hearing why none of this is actually Mark's fault.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"Situation drill time. The scenario: 43 seconds left in the game, down by two and no timeouts with the ball on the 18 yard line. The object is to run a play and stop the clock for a last second Field Goal attempt with a couple ticks left. No goalposts were harmed during this drill as Brandon McManus didn’t get the nod. So we are talking two simple plays–hand the ball, then take the next snap and spike the ball. Sanchez hands off to C.J. Anderson and then gets the Offense up to the line and set as he turns and looks at the building to watch the clock wind down. I don’t know what he was thinking, because Mark turned back around, took the snap and then took a knee. The entire Defense could not believe what just happened. Taking a knee doesn’t stop the clock. That is the assignment when you want to run out the clock.

They end up running the drill again before Trevor Siemian correctly accomplishes the goal without a hitch. But Paxton Lynch’s rep got taken by Sanchez because there’s the final HORN.

If you are getting nervous about the Broncos Quarterback situation, you aren’t alone. That mental lapse at the end of practice, as well as the second ‘Pick Six’ in as many days gives me a vote of ‘No Confidence’ in Mark Sanchez if he can’t beat out a second-year, 7th round draft pick. I understand that Kubes and Elway are comfortable with the situation, and there is much more to the story, but I’m starting to think that the possibility of Sanchez getting cut is starting to fill out. I am certainly not comfortable with starting the season with 2 Quarterbacks who have Zero snaps in the NFL. This is what I was referring to when I said ‘This is Elway’s gamble’ when he signed Mark Sanchez."

A trade of Geno, perhaps???

hmmm-alright.gif

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

he's trying so hard, maybe too hard.  all that work pre-draft, trying to prove everyone wrong.  he just needs to relax.

All that's missing from Hackenberg's early returns not being identical to his college career is less trying?

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If the Jets thought the only reason Fitzpatrick was any good was because of the OC he would not have been signed to that contract.  No matter what you still have to execute an offense and he did just that last year.  As for relying on the expertise of players or coaches to be successful in this league goes, you could make a long long list of people who would be irrelevant without good people in the organization.

I personally do not think that is true. I think it is true for Bowles, not the Jets in general.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Getting tweets from practice is great since we're all jonesing for any football news. This is getting out of control though.

We are not really judging QBs on how encouraging his tweets are in his first training camp are we?

He hasn't been getting any reps with even the 3rd string. He's working on changing his mechanics a little at a time from what I've heard.

I know when I changed my golf swing, and when I changed my pool bridge I was very awkward for quite awhile. Muscle memory eventually took over from repetition, and it really improved my consistency.  

Now we don't know how he'll turn out, but we know preseason games mean very little. Training camp tweets mean even less. 

Good point. One step at a time.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

http://i.imgur.com/rMxyUZa.jpg

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I hear some folks would count this as a regular season INT for Fitz, and call it an "advanced stat".

There's a difference between "near ints" and 'dropped ints' but I don't expect you acknowledge that. 

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Whereas you're right about the relevancy, we have nothing else to judge our players on. Truth be told, coaches use those same practices, for the most part, to engage a players talent level/ability n make roster moves accordingly. 

Im not advocating to cut Hack. That's childish. I do feel he needs to remain on the sideline for a while for his own sake. Let the game slow down for him. 

4 hours ago, cant wait said:

way to defend poor decision making. I thought you weren't giving fitz any more excuses? why don't you believe the jets are a playoff team anymore?

/chuckle

Mocking people who makes up make-believe woulda-coulda-shoulda stats is not making excuses.  It's mocking people who think what might have happened is more valid than what did happen  Usually the same hypocrites who refuse to apply similar standards to their own favorites......

Fitz has no excuses.  He plays well, or he is benched, and then he is not asked back in 2017.  Seems pretty clear cut to me.

I never believed this Jets team was a playoff team, with Fitz, without Fitz, or otherwise.  See my predictions elsewhere.  We may get close (9 wins), but no playoffs.

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

/chuckle

Mocking people who makes up make-believe woulda-coulda-shoulda stats is not making excuses.  It's mocking people who think what might have happened is more valid than what did happen  Usually the same hypocrites who refuse to apply similar standards to their own favorites......

Fitz has no excuses.  He plays well, or he is benched, and then he is not asked back in 2017.  Seems pretty clear cut to me.

I never believed this Jets team was a playoff team, with Fitz, without Fitz, or otherwise.  See my predictions elsewhere.  We may get close (9 wins), but no playoffs.

You are my champion.

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

Whereas you're right about the relevancy, we have nothing else to judge our players on. Truth be told, coaches use those same practices, for the most part, to engage a players talent level/ability n make roster moves accordingly. 

Im not advocating to cut Hack. That's childish. I do feel he needs to remain on the sideline for a while for his own sake. Let the game slow down for him

See, this right here is what the plan was the whole time. It never was a secret either.  The team has basically said it since the moment he was drafted.  I'm actually surprised (not really but let's roll with it) that so many here can't seem to grasp it.  Someone in this thread has already said it would make sense to cut our losses sooner rather than later...in other words: cut our developmental 2nd round QB that we knew right out the gate would be sitting so he could fine tune his mechanics, fix some bad habits and improve his overall game. All because he hasn't looked like the second coming of Christ throwing in camp three times a day.

Genius idea.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

/chuckle

So by your logic, the jackass who was texting while driving and almost ran over somebody this morning doesn't deserve to be criticized because the accident didn't actually happen? Got it. And I'm sure when you were screaming about how the jets had a playoff caliber team, you didn't actually expect them to actually make the playoffs?  /chuckle 

On May 7, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Warfish said:

No, your opinion is that I'm wrong.  Same as it's your opinion that Denver is better on offense.  Opinions.

The facts are what they are, and anyone who cares to can go confirm what I've said on ProFootballReference or the like.  

Our O was the equal (or superior) of Denver's O last year, and our QB was pretty bad (if we believe you he was carried by the rest of the O), certainly no Manning or Osweiller.  

Our D was only slightly worse, but both were amongst the best in the NFL.  

Facts, things that can be looked up from reputable sources.  The numbers do not lie.

So I'll say it again, we have PLENTY of talent going into 2016.  Our roster is a playoff caliber roster, right now.

On August 9, 2016 at 7:43 PM, NYs Stepchild said:

This

On 8/9/2016 at 4:55 PM, Mogglez said:

Same with Eli at the beginning of his.

As a former QB, it bet money it's mechanical. Touched on this yesterday. Kid threw a pretty spiral his first two years at PSU. Has a slight hitch after last year. Compact it a bit and clean his feet back up and he'll be fine.  Not that it matters tooo much.  Plenty of QB's throw some wobblers. Geno had the same type of hitch his first year and it was fixed by year two and for the most part he throws a pretty ball.  Big Ben doesn't have the tightest spiral.

That is a myth.    Hack had the same problems at PSU as a freshman.      I like how the media acts like he was great when he was ranked 9th out of 12 QBs in the B10 with Obrien.  

On 8/9/2016 at 3:48 PM, Stark said:

This is the stuff on Hack that I was afraid of when we drafted him way too early IMO. Seriously though its basically playing catch in the backyard and he's throwing in the dirt. Can someone get a time machine and just take him back to his Freshman year of college and see if that helps......

You mean when he was ranked 9th out of 12 QBs in the B10?     the reality is he has had problems all along.   

On 8/9/2016 at 1:21 PM, Patriot Killa said:

But...but...he's the QB Whisperer 2.0

Isn't he up to about his 8th QB in Houston?   Who was the top QB he developed?   Brady was MVP and won the Super Bowl before Obrien joined the Pats.  

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Tiny hands. He was throwing ducks as a freshman too. 

Slightly small but that is not the issue.   There is NO correlation between large hands and being a good QB.    Moron coaches like to over analyze.    Do you know which QBs have the biggest and smallest hands?  Nick Foles has the biggest and he blows.    Aaron Rodgers had the smallest.   I dont think Brady's were  that big either.    Where is the correlation? 

Dan McGuire was 6'8 and Matt Blundin was about 6'7.  I would guess they had pretty big hands.  

Just about every other 1st year drafted Qb's on their teams that played last night got some decent results and looked reasonable even for their 1st games.  The fact that Hackenburg is such and utter project that he can't be thought of to get more reps and play in an ex game is a concern.  There is 'bring him along slowly; and then there are 'this guy doesn't look like he belongs in an nfl camp at this point.'

The problem for some of us all along is not taking a guy that needs a ton of work and is being brought along slowly it is having to do this with a 2nd round pick as opposed to other teams with 4,5,6, rounders

Archived