Tailgating Question: Streaming ESPN

Maxman

As I get closer to the dream of becoming an RV owner, one of the things I am thinking about is feeding a TV with content in the Metlife parking lot. Obviously a DirecTV subscription with receiver and mobile dish is an option. But the over the air antenna I use streams the 4pm games in High Def with great quality. So what I am really looking for is a way to stream ESPN before the Jets games most morning. At noon all of the networks put on their pregame shows, so the over the air antenna would work. At 11:30 the Jets have their show on CBS....

But what can I do to get ESPN on the TV at 10am?

Thoughts are appreciated....

Cellular data should be very good at 10 AM, so I would do this: 

Purchase a HD Slingbox 

Purchase an Apple TV

Download the Slingbox app for your iPhone 

At 10 AM, use your iPhone to stream the Slingbox video from your home DVR to your iPhone. Use the iPhone AirPlay or mirroring feature to send the video to the Apple TV. Plug the Apple TV into an open HDMI port on the HDTV in the RV. 

Closer to kickoff as the parking lot fills up the cellular data connection will not support a great HD picture. However at 10 AM this setup should work very well.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Purchase a HD Slingbox 

Purchase an Apple TV

At 10 AM, use your iPhone to stream the Slingbox video from your home DVR to your iPhone. Use the iPhone AirPlay or mirroring feature to send the video to the Apple TV. Plug the Apple TV into an open HDMI port on the HDTV in the RV. 

Closer to kickoff as the parking lot fills up the cellular data connection will not support a great HD picture. However at 10 AM this setup should work very well.

SAR I

I have made it this far without an iPhone and I don't plan on changing that now. :)

I was looking at Sling Box about an hour ago, it does look interesting. I thought about adding that because I have the YES \ Comcast blackout problem. Now that the Yankees have young players worth watching the blackout sucks.

There are options that I can use on my Android phone like Miracast. They let me stream the phone to a TV. So the wifi \ 4g combo might work with Sling Box. This one could be a winner. I think it costs like $20 a month.

Anyone know if there is a way to get the Watch ESPN app to work in the stadium parking lot on 4G. I don't think you can do that but I never tried.

You need to see if your cable company is either Time Warner or Comcast/Xfinity. Both have a TV app for use with a Roku player or Apple TV.

Simply by logging in, you can stream every channel available at home based on your subscription. I even get the Red Zone Channel on my tablet

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Purchase a HD Slingbox 

Purchase an Apple TV

SAR I

The problem with that SAR I is the fact you have to pay an additional fee for Sling TV.

2 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

The problem with that SAR I is the fact you have to pay an additional fee for Sling TV.

Actually I just tried it...so the Watch ESPN app works right on my phone. I just authenticate with my Xfinity credentials. So if I do Miracast I can stream to my TV. I just need either the Jets wifi or a 4g connection. Not sure how far the wifi extends in the parking lot.

So the real question is, anyone have an idea of how much mobile broadband one uses up for streaming an hour of ESPN on a 4g connection? :)

32 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

imagejpeg

You are confusing Sling TV (which is a platform) with Slingbox (which is a piece of hardware).

The Slingbox costs around $100 to purchase and there are no monthly or subscription fees involved. It intercepts the signal from your cable at home and streams it to any of your devices anywhere in the world at no charge.  I've used mine to watch Jets games playing at home on my HDTV streamed in airports, grocery stores, hockey games, in Canada, UK, Homg Kong, China, etc.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Actually I just tried it...so the Watch ESPN app works right on my phone. I just authenticate with my Xfinity credentials. So if I do Miracast I can stream to my TV. I just need either the Jets wifi or a 4g connection. Not sure how far the wifi extends in the parking lot.

So the real question is, anyone have an idea of how much mobile broadband one uses up for streaming an hour of ESPN on a 4g connection? :)

I am not an expert on networking but I believe you can set up a private Wi-Fi network in your RV that doesn't talk to the Internet but rather would talk to your Mircast and your Android.   Both those devices would be carrying a signal through the Wi-Fi router but I believe the Wi-Fi router would not need an Internet connection.  This way your phone streams the ESPN content to your HDTV and only your phone needs Internet connectivity. 

SAR I

23 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Some of us are grandfathered in on the AT&T iPhone Unlimited data plan from 2012 and have no clue how much data one consumes. 

SAR I 

31 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

You need to see if your cable company is either Time Warner or Comcast/Xfinity. Both have a TV app for use with a Roku player or Apple TV.

Simply by logging in, you can stream every channel available at home based on your subscription. I even get the Red Zone Channel on my tablet

The problem with that is that he would have to get Internet connectivity natively on the Apple TV and there is no easy way for him to do that unless his mobile phone can act as a hotspot that the Apple TV can connect to.

SAR I

Not true, MetLife began a free Wi-Fi service To Season Ticket holders a few years ago and the signal does not drop off until 30 minutes before game day. That is only due to usage in the stadium.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I am not an expert on networking but I believe you can set up a private Wi-Fi network in your RV that doesn't talk to the Internet but rather would talk to your Mircast and your Android.   Both those devices would be carrying a signal through the Wi-Fi router but I believe the Wi-Fi router would not need an Internet connection.  This way your phone streams the ESPN content to your HDTV and only your phone needs Internet connectivity. 

SAR I

Miracast and the phone will do this. So with a 4g or wifi connection on the phone in all set . I'm going to buy the miracast adapter for 30 bucks to confirm.

Awesome on the unlimited data. I wish I still had that.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Some of us are grandfathered in on the AT&T iPhone Unlimited data plan from 2012 and have no clue how much data one consumes. 

SAR I 

I was going to offer that as my only small input into this discussion - you just need *someone* with unlimited data to obviate this problem.  Max, if you don't have it, perhaps someone in your tailgate crew who does can be the connection to the Internet.

Regardless, good conversation and I am loving the thread.  Also, can I come by your tailgate?  I have unlimited data from AT&T and you can use my connection while I'm there.  And I'll bring beer, too :)

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

If you have Verizon FIOS at home you can get ESPN on your FIOS Mobile app on your Andriod.

Getting it from your phone to an HDTV in your RV?  That I can't answer. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

In three  words: probably a lot. 

I have a family shared plan for my phone with a couple gigs and after streaming one minute of the Olympics on LTE I got the warning that I had used up 75% of my allotment. Only WiFi now :-) 

1 hour ago, Cornfed said:

I was going to offer that as my only small input into this discussion - you just need *someone* with unlimited data to obviate this problem.  Max, if you don't have it, perhaps someone in your tailgate crew who does can be the connection to the Internet.

Regardless, good conversation and I am loving the thread.  Also, can I come by your tailgate?  I have unlimited data from AT&T and you can use my connection while I'm there.  And I'll bring beer, too :)

LOL, awesome.  Who needs Hots and Hams when you have Unlimited Data and Beer?

SAR I

8 hours ago, BaumerJet said:

Not true, MetLife began a free Wi-Fi service To Season Ticket holders a few years ago and the signal does not drop off until 30 minutes before game day. That is only due to usage in the stadium.

Fantastic, I did not know that as my AT&T data is rock-solid until kickoff.  I did not know that STH's have exclusive and dependable free wi-fi in the parking lots, thanks.

SAR I

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Miracast and the phone will do this. So with a 4g or wifi connection on the phone in all set . I'm going to buy the miracast adapter for 30 bucks to confirm.

Awesome on the unlimited data. I wish I still had that.

I'm an Apple guy for mobile so I don't understand the Miracast completely.  Question:

For the Android phone to connect to the Miracast, does it use Bluetooth or NFC?  If not, won't you need a wi-fi router to allow them to connect?  I don't think the Jets free wi-fi with 1000s of users is going to let you set up a bridge like that.

SAR I

37 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

If you have Verizon FIOS at home you can get ESPN on your FIOS Mobile app on your Andriod.

Getting it from your phone to an HDTV in your RV?  That I can't answer. 

Though not an Android guy, I think I found the answer:

http://joyofandroid.com/how-to-connect-your-android-phone-to-your-tv/

Check out #2, looks like he can purchase a Micro USB to HDMI cable, not mess with the wi-fi or networking at all.  He'll connect the phone to the Jets wi-fi network, launch the ESPN app, then plug his Android into this cheap cable, plug the cable into the HDTV, he's all done.

SAR I

33 minutes ago, Xtina said:

In three  words: probably a lot. 

I have a family shared plan for my phone with a couple gigs and after streaming one minute of the Olympics on LTE I got the warning that I had used up 75% of my allotment. Only WiFi now :-) 

Oh wow. Thanks. Streaming is a hog I guess.

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Check out #2, looks like he can purchase a Micro USB to HDMI cable, not mess with the wi-fi or networking at all.  He'll connect the phone to the Jets wi-fi network, launch the ESPN app, then plug his Android into this cheap cable, plug the cable into the HDTV, he's all done.

SAR I

Looks like problem solved!

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Probably will be clearer reception with a hard wire as well.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

That works ... thanks for looking into this!

23 hours ago, Maxman said:

As I get closer to the dream of becoming an RV owner, one of the things I am thinking about is feeding a TV with content in the Metlife parking lot. Obviously a DirecTV subscription with receiver and mobile dish is an option. But the over the air antenna I use streams the 4pm games in High Def with great quality. So what I am really looking for is a way to stream ESPN before the Jets games most morning. At noon all of the networks put on their pregame shows, so the over the air antenna would work. At 11:30 the Jets have their show on CBS....

But what can I do to get ESPN on the TV at 10am?

Thoughts are appreciated....

If you have Fios cable, you can log into the website and livestream ESPN or a multitude of other channels as well.  To get internet you can tether your phone as a wireless hotspot.  Or just chromecast from your phone to a TV at the tailgate.

SAR I

I would try this in advance. I have not tried it with my Note 5, but used to have a hard time keeping the connecting live with this cable and a Galaxy 3. I find wifi setups more reliable.

I'm an Apple guy for mobile so I don't understand the Miracast completely.  Question:

For the Android phone to connect to the Miracast, does it use Bluetooth or NFC?  If not, won't you need a wi-fi router to allow them to connect?  I don't think the Jets free wi-fi with 1000s of users is going to let you set up a bridge like that.

SAR I

I have a roku in a country house that we use for slingbox and other streaming. We of course have internet/wifi, but I think Roku has a direct connection available without wifi via a private network. I will try to confirm that. If that is the case, I would do roku and the roku app on your phone, because this will give you options -

If you do get stadium wifi, roku + wifi + WatchESPN or Xfinity (I think they have a roku app as well)... done.

If not...

Stream go90 from your phone to the TV via Roku+Android screen mirroring - would be your best bet data-wise if go90 has the pregame content, as go90 content doesn't count towards your data usage.

If Xfinity doew have a roku app, again use your phone as a Hotspot, or stream Xfinity to your phone and mirror through your roku.

WatchESPN via Roku using phone Hotspot internet

SlingPlayer android app on phone / Slingbox setup thru roku slingbox app.

13 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

Joe this is very interesting. I didn't know about this, it is portable pretty much and you pay for the months that you use only. If you want to activate it randomly for one month you do that. $36.99 per month for the lowest package that has ESPN.

$160 for football season. And if there are home playoff games I totally won't mind buying January. 

Thanks for the link, definitely going to give this some thought!

27 minutes ago, isired said:

I would try this in advance. I have not tried it with my Note 5, but used to have a hard time keeping the connecting live with this cable and a Galaxy 3. I find wifi setups more reliable.

I have a roku in a country house that we use for slingbox and other streaming. We of course have internet/wifi, but I think Roku has a direct connection available without wifi via a private network. I will try to confirm that. If that is the case, I would do roku and the roku app on your phone, because this will give you options -

If you do get stadium wifi, roku + wifi + WatchESPN or Xfinity (I think they have a roku app as well)... done.

If not...

Stream go90 from your phone to the TV via Roku+Android screen mirroring - would be your best bet data-wise if go90 has the pregame content, as go90 content doesn't count towards your data usage.

If Xfinity doew have a roku app, again use your phone as a Hotspot, or stream Xfinity to your phone and mirror through your roku.

WatchESPN via Roku using phone Hotspot internet

SlingPlayer android app on phone / Slingbox setup thru roku slingbox app.

Thank you!

Archived