Bryce+Petty+Beating+Out+Geno

Karam H

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This was Geno's time to, in his own words, "audition" to other NFL teams.  Since he clearly won't be getting a chance to sniff the field in a meaningful game, this was his opportunity to make such an "audition", and he failed.

So, yeah, no one should be able to argue this was "meaningless" for Geno.

Meanwhile, there are things Petty is doing that CAN be evaluated.  When he makes crisp throws, it doesn't matter how bad the defender is or who he is throwing to.  A good throw is a good throw.  When he one-hops a receiver, that's another instance that CAN be evaluated.

Why wont he be getting to sniff the field?  He sniffed the field last year in a meaningful game.

And how did he fail?

I'll argue it was meaningless because it was meaningless.

It does matter if you're throwing to wide open players vs. sh*tty defenders.  Anyone can make a good throw vs. bums.  Just ask Brett Ratliff.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why wont he be getting to sniff the field?  He sniffed the field last year in a meaningful game.

And how did he fail?

I'll argue it was meaningless because it was meaningless.

It does matter if you're throwing to wide open players vs. sh*tty defenders.  Anyone can make a good throw vs. bums.  Just ask Brett Ratliff.

Because his current performance is indicative of a player about to be passed on the depth chart or cut.  And if he's cut, what exactly are teams looking to sign him going on to evaluate him, if his latest preseason performance is indeed "meaningless"?  They don't get his practice reports.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because his current performance is indicative of a player about to be passed on the depth chart or cut.  And if he's cut, what exactly are teams looking to sign him going on to evaluate him, if his latest preseason performance is indeed "meaningless"?  They don't get his practice reports.

Who said he's getting passed on the depth chart?  

And if he's cut, I'm pretty sure they'll look at maybe the Raiders game last year or his regulars season games of the years prior as opposed to a handful of plays in 1 meaningless preseason game.

Just now, JiF said:

Who said he's getting passed on the depth chart?  

And if he's cut, I'm pretty sure they'll look at maybe the Raiders game last year or his regulars season games of the years prior as opposed to a handful of plays in 1 meaningless preseason game. 

CFL then.  Got it. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

CFL then.  Got it. 

You're so dramatic come football season.  lol

He's not going to the CFL.  You're letting your hard on for hating Geno cloud your logic.  The kid has started and won NFL games.  There is a ton of value in this league for a back up who's started and won NFL games.  He's not nearly as terrible as you make him out to be.  If he's cut, he'll be signed off waivers and have a long back up career in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're so dramatic come football season.  lol

He's not going to the CFL.  You're letting your hard on for hating Geno cloud your logic.  The kid has started and won NFL games.  There is a ton of value in this league for a back up who's started and won NFL games.  He's not nearly as terrible as you make him out to be.  If he's cut, he'll be signed off waivers and have a long back up career in the NFL.

He'll go the Sanchez route.  He'll be a backup, but not a particularly good backup.  Sanchez has already lent zero confidence to three different organizations.  Geno has lent zero confidence to two different Jets regimes.  Sounds about right.

It's a far cry from where he stood with a lot of Jets fans earlier this offseason, who felt in the right system and talent around him, he could have a lot of success.  He just can't.  Sucky QB's sometimes just suck, and not a lot of thought/debate is needed.  But that's exactly what happened here for several months.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Ratliff to Clowney part deux.

You were the biggest Ratliff fan around, if I recall. 

was not so much a Ratliff fan as I was pushing for the guy to at least get a chance to play. He looked good in the pocket and played well in the pre season and I felt like the guy never got a shot. Then he was traded to a team that had 2 number 1 draft picks battling for a spot and he never got a chance their either in Cleveland.

In the case of Geno vs Petty Geno had ample chances to play and the problem is the guy keeps making the same old mistakes he made before and he still has poor pocket presence. Geno's not happy here ATM and that could be effecting him even more maybe he just needs a change of scenery

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll go the Sanchez route.  He'll be a backup, but not a particularly good backup.  Sanchez has already lent zero confidence to three different organizations.  Geno has lent zero confidence to two different Jets regimes.  Sounds about right.

It's a far cry from where he stood with a lot of Jets fans earlier this offseason, who felt in the right system and talent around him, he could have a lot of success.  He just can't.  Sucky QB's sometimes just suck, and not a lot of thought/debate is needed.  But that's exactly what happened here for several months.

Man, I forgot what Football season was like around here.  So dramatic.

Just out of curiosity, what were your thoughts in the first preseason game when he led the team on 2 scoring drives and TD before the half? 

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

was not so much a Ratliff fan as I was pushing for the guy to at least get a chance to play. He looked good in the pocket and played well in the pre season and I felt like the guy never got a shot. Then he was traded to a team that had 2 number 1 draft picks battling for a spot and he never got a chance their either in Cleveland.

In the case of Geno vs Petty Geno had ample chances to play and the problem is the guy keeps making the same old mistakes he made before and he still has poor pocket presence. Geno's not happy here ATM and that could be effecting him even more maybe he just needs a change of scenery

Meh, even the best make mistakes.  Drawing conclusions from a preseason game is a mistake too. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Tons of factors go into evaluating a QB.  Character, arm strength, leadership, ability to recognize the defense, making adjustments at the LOS (audibles, checks, protections, etc), what they do in practice, what they see in the film room, grasp of the play book, ability to bounce back from mistakes, making the right reads, working through progressions, accuracy/ball placement, pocket presence...literally a laundry list of evaluation measurements for coaches to review and assess.  

The one that is least valued is how a QB looks in a preseason game vs. players who will not be wearing helmets and pads in 2 weeks.  Unfortunately for the majority of fans, this is the only thing they actually get to see and to often its received by jumping to conclusions.  While Petty looked good throwing the ball; we dont actually know the play design and all the intricacies that coaches care about when it comes to executing the play. 

I'm not trying to be a party pooper.  It's super groovy that Petty looked good in his preseason action.  I hope he's our savior.  Doesnt change that fact his performance is basically meaningless and all those other things I mentioned are weighted much more heavily. 

Super groovy is a stretch.

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

When you are a QB, get traded to the doo doo browns and dont get a shot at the starting QB job, its pretty damning evidence that you should move on to selling insurance or something other than football.

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

McDonalds has their eye on Geno so does Wendy's we could be looking at a hot bidding war for his services and a free ride to Hamburger college.

Bottom line is Geno is probably miserable and its effecting his play on the field he just does not have the make up to play QB in the NFL this is not WV with superior players running free all over the field.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Man, I forgot what Football season was like around here.  So dramatic.

Just out of curiosity, what were your thoughts in the first preseason game when he led the team on 2 scoring drives and TD before the half? 

He looked good.  But just like Geno be Geno-ing, one day he can look OK, another day terrible.  Where is the confidence supposed to be found in him as even a # 2 guy?

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, even the best make mistakes.  Drawing conclusions from a preseason game is a mistake too. 

The worst are always making mistakes and don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in their 4th season in the league.

3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

When you are a QB, get traded to the doo doo browns and dont get a shot at the starting QB job, its pretty damning evidence that you should move on to selling insurance or something other than football.

The fact he was traded to the Browns is irrelevant he was not going to get a chance their with two Number 1 draft picks ahead of him, no way Holmgren was going to Let Mangini start Ratliff over two failed number one picks. no way in hell.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He looked good.  But just like Geno be Geno-ing, one day he can look OK, another day terrible.  Where is the confidence supposed to be found in him as even a # 2 guy?

The worst are always making mistakes and don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in their 4th season in the league.

I forgot how irrational and dramatic you are during the season.  

Whatevs.  We'll see what happens.

Go Jets! 

Just now, Smashmouth said:

The fact he was traded to the Browns is irrelevant he was not going to get a chance their with two Number 1 draft picks ahead of him, no way Holmgren was going to Let Mangini start Ratliff over two failed number one picks. no way in hell.

lulza

so the gm trades for a player the coach isnt allowed to play????  Did he trade for him because he liked his mullet????  Have you seen the list of starting QBs for the browns over the past couple decades???

*sorry for all the questions*

/pours another glass of Kool Ade

pray that your #1 goes down on a good day?

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I forgot how irrational and dramatic you are during the season.  

Whatevs.  We'll see what happens.

Go Jets! 

We had people vehemently debating whether Geno should start or if we should sign Fitzpatrick for literally 6 months.  Yet I'm the overly dramatic one for stating the obvious:  That Geno Smith is terrible, and he always has been.

OK.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

what a pre season game simulates is the pressure of the position. While you do look for decision making and leadership in training camp the Red Jersey takes the pressure off. Right now no matter what depth of players a QB plays with in pre season 1st 2nd or 3rd stringers he is under heavy pressure to  make this roster no red jersey to save you so it does play a part here.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We had people vehemently debating whether Geno should start or if we should sign Fitzpatrick for literally 6 months.  Yet I'm the overly dramatic one for stating the obvious:  That Geno Smith is terrible, and he always has been.

OK.

Yes.  You are extremely dramatic.  In one thread, you went from:

Geno is the worst and headed to the CFL 

to

j/k, Geno is headed for a Mark Sanchez career

to 

he's terrible, and that's all there is to it

to

he was good in preseason 1

to 

he's terrible, always has and always will be.

So yes, dramatic is the perfect word to describe you.  lol

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

lulza

so the gm trades for a player the coach isnt allowed to play????  Did he trade for him because he liked his mullet????  Have you seen the list of starting QBs for the browns over the past couple decades???

*sorry for all the questions*

/pours another glass of Kool Ade

Lulza all you want those 3 players we gave up in that trade were Mangini guys not Holmgren guys and yes when a GM drafts a number one and trades for another number one in Brady Quinn you think hes going to Let Mangini of all people make the call to play Brett Ratliff ? If you do you're nuts. As soon as Holmgren was hired Manginis days were numbered.

As a matter of fact Holmgren is on record saying he should have coached the Browns that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Mangini now is it ?

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  You are extremely dramatic.  In one thread, you went from:

Geno is the worst and headed to the CFL 

to

j/k, Geno is headed for a Mark Sanchez career

to 

he's terrible, and that's all there is to it

to

he was good in preseason 1

to 

he's terrible, always has and always will be.

So yes, dramatic is the perfect word to describe you.  lol

Is there a difference between being a CFL starter and a bad # 2 NFL QB?  I fail to see it.  If you can't at least be an effective # 2 four years into your NFL career, the CFL is where you belong.  After all, many NFL teams really only carry 2 QB's these days.

That's a far cry from the people who had a real desire to see him start under Chan Gailey and are now forced to backtrack. 

Any way you slice it, the guy is barely worth discussing anymore as a Jet.  The Jets have brought in 3 new QB's since Macc and Bowles arrived.  He's a non-factor.  Yet you still have people defending him. 

So yeah, after months of being told I was stupid for thinking Fitz would be the Week 1 starter, I'll enjoy my victory lap just fine, thanks.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Lulza all you want those 3 players we gave up in that trade were Mangini guys not Holmgren guys and yes when a GM drafts a number one and trades for another number one in Brady Quinn you think hes going to Let Mangini of all people make the call to play Brett Ratliff ? If you do you're nuts. As soon as Holmgren was hired Manginis days were numbered.

As a matter of fact Holmgren is on record saying he should have coached the Browns that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Mangini now is it ?

holy sh!t man... you interrupted my reading a story about Usain Bolt and a brazillian student for this????  The GM traded for him but the coach couldnt play him???  I'm still stuck on that part.  To bring up anything else is a deflection of the obvious issue above.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.

Earth to drama boy..  It took Fitzy 10 years to accomplish something Geno did in his first.  Win more than 7 games in a season.

Lets hope Hold the Fort Fityz doesn't do what he's done every other time in his career when he gets paid which is sh-t the bed.  This grand canyon like gap you keep insisting there is between Fitz and Geno is not supported by Ryans 11 year body of work.  He's a JAG that had the benefit of passing to one of the best WR tandems in the NFL.  No one, including the Jets, think he is anything more than a 1 year stop gap.  

If Geno was anywhere near as bad as you or the pitchfork crew thought he was he'd be long gone.  

Why do I bother..  you're just going to reply with Geno sucks or some other nonsense..  Lets see what happens.

And I hate you for making me align with JiF of all people. 

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

what a pre season game simulates is the pressure of the position. While you do look for decision making and leadership in training camp the Red Jersey takes the pressure off. Right now no matter what depth of players a QB plays with in pre season 1st 2nd or 3rd stringers he is under heavy pressure to  make this roster no red jersey to save you so it does play a part here.

Geno doesnt need to simulate the pressure of the position.  He's started 20+ NFL games.  

Look, I'll give you guys putting actual stock into a preseason game this; If we are assume that everything went right on every play call (which is highly unlikely with a bunch of make shift line ups), then yes...you can make some conclusions.  The reality is, it probably didnt and acting like we know what we are watching is being very naive.  We have no clue what type of break downs happened around the QB or if the QB just out right did something really sh*tty (granted that INT looked all Geno).

This is why, you dont jump to conclusions in preseason games and players like Brett Ratliff despite looking great (better than Petty) never got a single start in the NFL.

Just now, Pac said:

Earth to drama boy..  It took Fitzy 10 years to accomplish something Geno did in his first.  Win more than 7 games in a season.

Lets hope Hold the Fort Fityz doesn't do what he's done every other time in his career when he gets paid which is sh-t the bed.  This grand canyon like gap you keep insisting there is between Fitz and Geno is not supported by Ryans 11 year body of work.  He's a JAG that had the benefit of passing to one of the best WR tandems in the NFL.  No one, including the Jets, think he is anything more than a 1 year stop gap.  

If Geno was anywhere near as bad as you or the pitchfork crew thought he was he'd be long gone.  

Why do I bother..  you're just going to reply with Geno sucks or some other nonsense..  Lets see what happens.

Batman and Mexican Superman coming to Geno's rescue.  Again. 

Is there a difference between being a CFL starter and a bad # 2 NFL QB?  I fail to see it.  If you can't at least be an effective # 2 four years into your NFL career, the CFL is where you belong.  After all, many NFL teams really only carry 2 QB's these days.

That's a far cry from the people who had a real desire to see him start under Chan Gailey and are now forced to backtrack. 

Any way you slice it, the guy is barely worth discussing anymore as a Jet.  The Jets have brought in 3 new QB's since Macc and Bowles arrived.  He's a non-factor.  Yet you still have people defending him. 

So yeah, after months of being told I was stupid for thinking Fitz would be the Week 1 starter, I'll enjoy my victory lap just fine, thanks.

Holy ******* christ man.

I'm going to walk away now.  You're out of your mind.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

The best part is, I'm not even arguing if Geno Smith is good or bad or any of the above.  

All my point has been this entire time; dont jump to conclusions based on meaningless preseason games. 

lol

Just now, JiF said:

Geno doesnt need to simulate the pressure of the position.  He's started 20+ NFL games.  

Look, I'll give you guys putting actual stock into a preseason game this; If we are assume that everything went right on every play call (which is highly unlikely with a bunch of make shift line ups), then yes...you can make some conclusions.  The reality is, it probably didnt and acting like we know what we are watching is being very naive.  We have no clue what type of break downs happened around the QB or if the QB just out right did something really sh*tty (granted that INT looked all Geno).

This is why, you dont jump to conclusions in preseason games and players like Brett Ratliff despite looking great (better than Petty) never got a single start in the NFL.

I wish we could have a tag team match against Smash and 80.  I want to bash them over the head with steel chairs.

Archived