Bryce+Petty+Beating+Out+Geno

Karam H

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

In all likelilhood Geno is gone in 2017.

If the Jets keep 4 QBs, in all likelihood they will need to expose one of the rookie WR finds to the PS-Jalin Marshall or Robby Anderson, or Peake.  If they end up being good, Macc will look pretty bad.

On the flip side, if Fitz gets hurt and Petty is the backup QB, and he just bombs and blows the season, Macc is going to look pretty bad too.  

I think if Petty plays well for the rest of the PS, and hopefully he is given a chance to play against better competition, I think the fan base at least would support letting Geno go (hopefully trading him) and keeping the young WRs, who hopefully will be around in 2017 and beyond.  Petty playing well against real preseason competition will help determine whether he is able to game manage during a Fitz injury.  I don't think it is worth considering that either Petty or Geno could play more than 4 games and lead the Jets to a playoff spot, although crazier things have happened.

Fitz has been playing 10+ years.  He started playing late last year and ended up setting Jets QB records.  He does not need an extra PS game.  Geno should start the Snoopy bowl, and let Petty finish the 2nd quarter/3rd quarter against what should be a better Giants defense.  Then let Hack play.  Maybe one of them gets "hurt" and makes the situation a bit easier.

The third preseason game is the dress rehearsal. They game plan a little bit, and get the timing down, not just for Fitz, but the entire team. WRs, linemen, and RBs. They all need to be on the same page. Calling protections, where the QB will be in the pocket, hand offs, etc all must be worked out. From watching them the last two games we really need it.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LIJetsFan said:

I was in total agreement till your last paragraph.  Fitz missed OTA and needs to shake off the rust.  Perhaps something like Fitz get the 1st half and both Geno and Brice get 1 quarter each though.  

Its pros and cons.  I think playing against the Jets defense in practice is good practice (but that is another thread).  Maybe a series or so.  We need to see Geno and Petty though.

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Maybe, but if they're hoping to trade Geno they probably wouldn't alter the rotation. Want to be able to say in negotiations that they're trading their #2 rather than their #3. I could see them giving Petty a chance to play with some starters in the last game, even if it's just the starting OL for a series. 

This Dak Prescott in Dallas killed the Geno trade I think.  Who have thought that?

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I know is itching for Football, so every little thing is amplified but holy sh*t.  The overreactions around here are insane.

Literally, insane.  It's almost like the entire board just started watching Football and havent been informed the preseason means absolutely nothing, like, at all. 

F that. Sick of this franchise wasting high picks on guys who when you look at simple measurables basically have zero chance of producing in the NFL. There isn't a QB in the history of the league with Havkenbergs college production that ended up amounting to anything. The fact we have to hide him because he's so bad is a direct reflection on the new GM who has still yet to do anything of value here.

33 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Geno is always awesome in camp with red shirt on but that is the difference bewteen Geno and (Fitz & Petty) - when tackling begins Geno rushes his throws and progressions and he cant hit the side of a barn...where as Fitz and Petty are not fazed by the thought of the 300lb+ defense player leveling them.

I agree that it was not a case where it was impossible for Smith to improve in his fourth season.  But I would hope those who were talking him up just a couple of weeks ago based on some supposed improvement shown in pre-season camp drills will at least finally acknowledge that Smith loses a great deal when he plays in actual games, except apparently in end of season games that don't count and the other team has given up.

It is in the games that Smith shows he has unacceptable problems. It surely must be some combination of the increased tempo of the game plus he likely presses and fails. 

It's not going to get any better. 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

F that. Sick of this franchise wasting high picks on guys who when you look at simple measurables basically have zero chance of producing in the NFL. There isn't a QB in the history of the league with Havkenbergs college production that ended up amounting to anything. The fact we have to hide him because he's so bad is a direct reflection on the new GM who has still yet to do anything of value here.

I wasnt talking about Hack.  See his thread about my opinion on that.

I'm talking about people acting like Petty is the savior and is ready to unseat Geno and Fitz.  lmfao.  Or drawing any conclusions based on preseason period. 

It's like Ratt to Clowney all over again.

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lol, wow. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think Mac is in too bad a place either way. Having found so much talent at WR that he has to cut a good one is a good problem to have. Key would be not to cut the one who's the best of the lot three years from now. And if he cuts Geno, I don't think the fanbase will be too torn up if Petty doesn't tear it up. Fans so couldn't wait for Sanchez to be shown the door that Geno's play as a rookie was generally forgiven. 

All Mac really needs is for Petty or Hack to start being a decent starter as soon as next year. 

Oh, and Fitz will play one half+ this week. He needs the work. 

I generally agree that the fanbase will not be pissed with Macc for his choice from among several options, with maybe one or two the only way he might get in trouble.  I think most Jet fans who care about this issue know there's some competing problems with pretty much al the choices he has available.  Some for example still seem to think this might be the year the Jets carry four Qb's, but there are obvious problems with that.  Still, they might end up doing that despite Smith's problems.

And if they cut Smith, and Fitz has to go out at some point and Petty comes in and does not get it done, I really doubt there will be any sizeable percentage of fans who will say Macc screwed that up.  For a couple of reasons.  One is at this point no one can have a reasonable confidence in Smith being likely to succeed in that scenario, anyway.  So the Jets take a chance on a promising Qb and he fails - it happens.  I suppose the FO could be criticized for not having made the effort to obtain a vet backup for Fitz earlier this off season, but again I don't see the fans making that kind of criticism.

Having said that at this point the one scenario that could really bite Macc is if he risked losing Petty by trying to put him on the practice squad, keeping Smith in the meanwhile.  This was a scenario some thought the Jets might pursue, but at this point I think it highly unlikely, if for nothing else that it would leave them open to a great deal of criticism if Pettty was taken by someone else, and did well. 

That leaves next year and the future of Hackenburg and Petty.  I tend to be optimistic about Hackenburg despite his apparently quiet camp.  But yeah if say going into next season both Petty and Hackenburg look like doggie doo, Macc will then have issues with the fanbase.  But not before then.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Having said that at this point the one scenario that could really bite Macc is if he risked losing Petty by trying to put him on the practice squad, keeping Smith in the meanwhile.  This was a scenario some thought the Jets might pursue, but at this point I think it highly unlikely, if for nothing else that it would leave them open to a great deal of criticism if Pettty was taken by someone else, and did well. 

I was one of those, but Petty has clearly shown much more improvement than Geno - who is either imploding, regressing, or just still terribly inconsistent. Don't see Petty getting cut at all now, especially with the lack of work Skyisfallingberg is getting. I think at this point, Geno has to fight his way onto the roster. 

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm talking about people acting like Petty is the savior and is ready to unseat Geno and Fitz.  lmfao.  Or drawing any conclusions based on preseason period. 

I know its preseason. I wouldn't claim Petty to be a "savior", but I AM hoping that he might be come 2017 or 2018.

I'll take him over Geno right now. In two weeks from now, I'm thinking i will STILL take him over Geno. I'll wait until the two weeks are over and decide who I want as #2. Bowles will need to do the same.If Bowles says, "Its Petty", will you be shocked? I dont think you would, or should, be shocked if the next two weeks unfold like the 'Skins game and Petty claims the #2 spot. 

10 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I know its preseason. I wouldn't claim Petty to be a "savior", but I AM hoping that he might be come 2017 or 2018.

I'll take him over Geno right now. In two weeks from now, I'm thinking i will STILL take him over Geno. I'll wait until the two weeks are over and decide who I want as #2. Bowles will need to do the same.If Bowles says, "Its Petty", will you be shocked? I dont think you would, or should, be shocked if the next two weeks unfold like the 'Skins game and Petty claims the #2 spot. 

Yes, and again on Slats's point if he does that, even if Petty then fails in the regular season, I don't see Macc taking a big hit for that. 

27 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I'll take him over Geno right now. In two weeks from now, I'm thinking i will STILL take him over Geno. I'll wait until the two weeks are over and decide who I want as #2. Bowles will need to do the same.If Bowles says, "Its Petty", will you be shocked? I dont think you would, or should, be shocked, if the next two weeks unfold like the 'Skins game, that Petty claims the #2 spot. 

Shocked? No. Surprised.  Yes.  By all accounts Geno was really stepping it up in the absence of Fitz.  Bowles called him, "light years ahead, on and off the field".  Gailey was giving him love too.  He has 2 seasons of starting experience.  Petty has never seen real bullets.  So, yes, I would be surprised if the CS decided to go with a back up who has no experience vs. one who has a good bit.  Especially considering Fitz's age and injury history.

I mean, there are people calling Geno the best back up in the league.  So yes, it would be surprising to see him cut and Petty with zero experience promoted to back up.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

1.  The Jets are not a win-now team; they are a 4-12 John Idzik rebuilding team with some older free agents cashing out before they retire.

2.  Geno Smith cannot win a game or two, he is a brutally bad quarterback.

3.  If Ryan Fitzpatrick misses 2-3 games the season is over anyway so might as well have a young kid like Bryce Petty see some starting NFL action and see if he's got the goods for a season that will actually mean something, like 2017.

Geno Smith has no place on the Jets roster.  He cannot be counted on to play well as an emergency backup and he is not going to be part of our bright future.  All he is doing is taking up practice reps from Petty and Hackenberg, that's counter to what we need.

SAR I

With all due respect, I think this is an overly pessimistic assessment.  

1.  Even with the loss of Snacks, D has improved overall with quicker LBs and more depth at DB.  

2.  Forte is better than Ivory (especially in this offense) and Clady looks like he will be better than Brick was the last year or two.  

3.  WR depth has really improved and Marshall and Decker are showing no signs of slowing down yet. 

Maybe not 10-6 again (with a much more difficult schedule and a lack of depth at OL) but 4-12 is extremely unlikely.  And if we get off to a decent start we could compete for the division or wild card.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I know is itching for Football, so every little thing is amplified but holy sh*t.  The overreactions around here are insane.

Literally, insane.  It's almost like the entire board just started watching Football and havent been informed the preseason means absolutely nothing, like, at all. 

The 2 people who neg'd rep'd this are new to the NFL, clearly.  lmfao

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

lol

I watched "Every Pass From denver Paxton in wk2" on NFL.COM  and the guy looked to be light years behind Petty.  It did not look to me he was making any Reads and just slinging it.

Agreed. Petty is much improved. Stayed in the pocket, stayed poised and made throws even with pressure in his face. Still green but definitely got my attention. He needs to continue to light it up and improve.

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

I agree to the extent that people may be getting carried away with Petty's play in the second preseason game.  But there may be enough going on in camp to convince Bowles and Mac that he should surpass Geno on the depth chart.  Even from this distance it appears that Geno's stock is going down while Petty's is going up.

I remember game with gino at qb, jets on 10 yd line 3rd down, need to! Gino rolls right wide open receiver back of end zone, nobody in front of him he could have walked into end zone, instead turns left throws ball to back behind line of scrimmage 5 yd loss. That's when I Knew he sucked, also don't think gino has better arm then petty, I know petty has more balls then gino!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I agree to the extent that people may be getting carried away with Petty's play in the second preseason game.  But there may be enough going on in camp to convince Bowles and Mac that he should surpass Geno on the depth chart.  Even from this distance it appears that Geno's stock is going down while Petty's is going up.

That's all fine and good.  And I'm not arguing that Petty hasnt been more impressive.  I just dont think being impressive vs. nobodies means much and it really shouldnt.  I'd be surprised, though not shocked if Petty unseats Geno.

Mac went at this offseason like he's looking to win now caving to Fitz and signing an aging RB in Forte.  He also drafted 2 players in the first 2 rounds not penciled as starters.  To me, that screams that this GM believes last years roster can be better than last year.  That said, typically when a team is operating like they're playoff bound (which is what I would say this team is doing), then you'd want an experienced back up in case your old injury/turnover prone QB gets hurt or flops.  Not a kid who's never taken a single meaningful snap in the NFL but plays well vs. nobodies. 

Just my 2 cents, could be completely wrong and I wouldnt be shocked, just surprised. :)

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Shocked? No. Surprised.  Yes.  By all accounts Geno was really stepping it up in the absence of Fitz.  Bowles called him, "light years ahead, on and off the field".  Gailey was giving him love too.  He has 2 seasons of starting experience.  Petty has never seen real bullets.  So, yes, I would be surprised if the CS decided to go with a back up who has no experience vs. one who has a good bit.  Especially considering Fitz's age and injury history.

I mean, there are people calling Geno the best back up in the league.  So yes, it would be surprising to see him cut and Petty with zero experience promoted to back up.

Just my 2c, but w hen I hear commentary in situations like that coming out of one of the sides in negotiation, I usually consider it a negotiation tactic.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I've never seen anything like this.  The hate shown towards Geno and love given to Fitzpatrick and now Petty is just crazy...

It's like the Ratliff and Simms hype on steroids.

It would be understandable if these were a bunch of 13-17 year olds but I believe the majority are adults.

9 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Just my 2c, but w hen I hear commentary in situations like that coming out of one of the sides in negotiation, I usually consider it a negotiation tactic.

What tactic?  To get Fitz to sign?  

I dont think so.  Bowles said he was the starter in the press conference after the week 17 loss.  Fitz was never threatened by Geno.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

I've never seen anything like this.  The hate shown towards Geno and love given to Fitzpatrick and now Petty is just crazy...

It's like the Ratliff and Simms hype on steroids.

It would be understandable if these were a bunch of 13-17 year olds but I believe the majority are adults.

Like I said, its like none of them have ever watched the NFL and this is their first go round.  There is literally nothing to take away from a preseason game.  Nothing.  The only people this matters for are the fringe rosters guys trying to make it.  That's it and that's all.  So I guess if people thought Petty was a fringe roster player this matters, but I dont think his spot was ever in jeopardy....and maybe I'm wrong about that...but still, this is Simms/Ratliff all over again but 100 times worse. 

I mean, I get it.  We're all chomping at the bit for Football...but wow.  This is the offseason of overreactions.  I've never seen it this bad.  Ever.

26 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

I remember game with gino at qb, jets on 10 yd line 3rd down, need to! Gino rolls right wide open receiver back of end zone, nobody in front of him he could have walked into end zone, instead turns left throws ball to back behind line of scrimmage 5 yd loss. That's when I Knew he sucked, also don't think gino has better arm then petty, I know petty has more balls then gino!

You'd think given the fact every one of your 108 posts is filled with Smith hate that you'd have figured out it's g-E-no by now.  Everyone else but you is not spelling it wrong.

We can't keep 4 QB's. It's just not practical, especially when we know Grno is gone next year. Geno's only experience with real bullets has been bad experience. If Petty is showing he can at least equal Geno's badness then it's a no brainer to let Geno go. Whatever fans think of Hack is irrelevant . He's not going anywhere, the FO saw something in him to warrant them willing to develop him, that's not changing. So it comes down to Bryce and Geno. Bryce is here for a while for very cheap money. Geno is all but gone after this season. Cutting Bryce makes zero sense. Keeping 4 QB's makes very little sense, we're not that good that we can afford giving up that roster spot. EVERYTHING points to Geno being cut unless he showed serious improvement, which frankly he hasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why the Smith Fans don't seem to get what is going on.  It was just a few weeks ago that some were thinking/wondering/hoping that the FO was going to turn the team over to Smith instead of Fitz.  Instead of that the FO gave Fitz $12 mil, made him the starter, and precluded Smith from having that role.  Then Smith Fans hoped/expected that Smith's supposed solid play with a red shirt on meant not only that he would be the clear backup, but would "likely" be able to take the field at some point.  The whole four Qb's on the roster scenario has also been explored, and may still happen, but at a cost.  Smith Fans have also supposedly understood the assertion that he likely will not be on the team next year, along with the related situations of Petty and Hackenburg as the future of the team. 

Yet when others here see Smith perform worse than Petty, those who draw the logical conclusion that the time has more than come to move on from Smith are called haters.

I find that hard to understand.

What injury history? 11 Seasons. 100+ games started. Zero soft tissue injuries. Only injuries are a broken leg and half a game last year with a thumb. As far as Football players go that's way closer to "iron man" than "egg."

I'm not sure why the Smith Fans don't seem to get what is going on.  It was just a few weeks ago that some were thinking/wondering/hoping that the FO was going to turn the team over to Smith instead of Fitz.  Instead of that the FO gave Fitz $12 mil, made him the starter, and precluded Smith from having that role.  Then Smith Fans hoped/expected that Smith's supposed solid play with a red shirt on meant not only that he would be the clear backup, but would "likely" be able to take the field at some point.  The whole four Qb's on the roster scenario has also been explored, and may still happen, but at a cost.  Smith Fans have also supposedly understood the assertion that he likely will not be on the team next year, along with the related situations of Petty and Hackenburg as the future of the team. 

Yet when others here see Smith perform worse than Petty, those who draw the logical conclusion that the time has more than come to move on from Smith are called haters.

I find that hard to understand.

People don't want to admit they are wrong. All that is. I prefer to enjoy Fitz hopefully push for playoffs.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

People don't want to admit they are wrong. All that is. I prefer to enjoy Fitz hopefully push for playoffs.

I know that, but there is such a thing as cutting your losses.

Nobody's perfect.  It won't kill the poster to admit they were wrong about something.    They can even say they wanted to give Smith a shot.  But he's having his shot, and it looks more like, well, doo doo.

Complaining about haters at this point just looks obstinate.

I know that, but there is such a thing as cutting your losses.

Nobody's perfect.  It won't kill the poster to admit they were wrong about something.    They can even say they wanted to give Smith a shot.  But he's having his shot, and it looks more like, well, doo doo.

Complaining about haters at this point just looks obstinate.

He took a shot alright. And spent 6 weeks eating nothing but tomato soup

Cool - we've gotten to my favorite part of these inane threads.  Despite having to sift through hundreds of ridiculous posts, many of which are borderline racist, a couple guys try and take the high road wondering aloud why these pesky Geno lovers just don't get it.

Never mind that they've proven nothing, been right about nothing, and know nothing.  

I trust the coaches and gm to make the call on who the #2 will be.  Hopefully they aren't sensitive to this witch hunt that's been going as of late.  I don't think Bowels is going to give a sh-t if a lot of your panties get in a bunch when he makes the call that's right for the team.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Warren Moon comes to mind. Brett Favre wasn't great in college either.

4 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

The only experience Gena Smith has over Bryce petty is how bad he played in real games

I could not possibly agree more. Geno did NOT have the weapons...We can all agree to that. Geno also never made anyone better. Has a horribly slow release, telegraphs passes without ever looking receivers off. Just like his college scouting report said, he IS prone to turn overs. Had to have the playbook overly simplified in his first 2 years and is still UNABLE to read defenses. He did win 8 games in his first season but if you actually remember the season, they were games they won inspire of his trying to give them away.  Many of them, INT filled games. I just do NOT see an upside to him no matter how hard I looked. Now Petty may not be the savior, but the fact that his release is quick, decisive, confident and technically sound, gives enough hope for now that he can be an adequate backup. I am tired of this "Game tested" BS, Rocky Pepeli was game tested in boxing....He sucked 

Archived