Norver Turner resigns as Vikings OC

Integrity28

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/2/2016 at 3:02 PM, Beerfish said:

If it wasn't for sh*ttys call vs indy on the pass to Edwards on the sideline we may not win that game.  Our defense let us down in both AFC title games when it comes down to it.

Hey, I'm not saying shotty was good, he screwed up a lot for sure and his play calling was terrible at times.  He also as all OC's do took more than his share of blame and took less than his share of credit for those teams.

Wow.  People are still dumb enough to defend Schithead?  

Dude will be on unemployment this time next year because he's about to lose his gig as Luck's waterboy.

On 11/2/2016 at 0:33 PM, SAR I said:

[From Twitter]CwREb3IUsAAXFM9.jpg

Doesn't matter.  The Vikings have a very limited package of offensive plays for Bradford and he's been exposed the last couple games so ofcourse they blame Norv Turner and not the fact that Bradford is basically maxed out and their dumbass HC insulted his own offensive linemen and called them soft.

Vikings bounce back this week thanks to an easy matchup but I wouldn't be shocked if they missed the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Doesn't matter.  The Vikings have a very limited package of offensive plays for Bradford and he's been exposed the last couple games so ofcourse they blame Norv Turner and not the fact that Bradford is basically maxed out and their dumbass HC insulted his own offensive linemen and called them soft.

Vikings bounce back this week thanks to an easy matchup but I wouldn't be shocked if they missed the playoffs.

Thought Miami was our opponent

10 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Wow.  People are still dumb enough to defend Schithead?  

Dude will be on unemployment this time next year because he's about to lose his gig as Luck's waterboy.

sh*t head had a legion of great QB's to work with when he was here, he was a lousy oc but at least he had a senblacne of an excuse personal wise.  Our blustering head coach with all world defense folded like a cheap suit in both afc title games.

Not taking anything away from Norv b/c the guy has had a good career as an offensive coach but what I hope the Jets are doing from an offensive standpoint is grooming the next guy.  Chan's not a young man and was basically out of the league a few years ago so you wonder how long he'll be here.  Knowing that it would be nice to have someone from the CS be able to step in and take that job.  That's what good teams do the Pats, Seahawks, Bengals, Steelers etc... their coordinators get poached for HC gigs all the time but you rarely see them bring in a guy from the outside they usually promote from within.  I think there's something to be said for that kind of continuity.  Not looking to run Chan out of town just thinking ahead a little.  

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:56 PM, Smashmouth said:

The only time Turner actually succeeded was when he coached the cowboys offense with an all time great OL and all time great RB and an all time great possession WR.oh and a great TE and Fullback

What your saying here does not fit into what Norv turner likes to do offensively. He has a ball control pound the rock philosophy with big posession type WR's and if you don't have the right personnel to run that style of offense like we currently do not have other than Brandon Marshall Norv will not be a good fit here and FWIW hes never adapted after what he did in Dallas.

He's also developed one young QB and that was the ultimate game manager in Troy Aikman.

Norv had the perfect storm in Dallas and he's floundered ever since

That's pretty much my take on Turner's career.  I don't see how people think he'd even be a good OC for this team, let alone an HC.

28 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

That's pretty much my take on Turner's career.  I don't see how people think he'd even be a good OC for this team, let alone an HC.

Didn't Norv also develop Brees and Rivers while in SD? I may have coaching timelines wrong, but I thought for sure Norv was the OC for both of them as they got brought along in the league.

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Didn't Norv also develop Brees and Rivers while in SD? I may have coaching timelines wrong, but I thought for sure Norv was the OC for both of them as they got brought along in the league.

I think the concept of "developing" a QB is overstated.  I believe a bad O-line and/or system can negatively affect a QB's growth.  David Carr is the poster boy.  But no so sure it cuts both ways equally. 

I believe that the truly good QBs are going to "develop" themselves for the most part.   Sure, a coach can help a QB get better but they either have it or they don't.  It is  more like painting, not building the house.

Some around here try to give credit to Schitty for working with Brees and Rivers.  But do you really think he had any kind of a lasting positive influence on them after seeing what we saw for 6 seasons and knowing he basically has been demoted and then fired from his last three jobs?

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I think the concept of "developing" a QB is overstated.  I believe a bad O-line and/or system can negatively affect a QB's growth.  David Carr is the poster boy.  But no so sure it cuts both ways equally. 

I believe that the truly good QBs are going to "develop" themselves for the most part.   Sure, a coach can help a QB get better but they either have it or they don't.  It is  more like painting, not building the house.

Some around here try to give credit to Schitty for working with Brees and Rivers.  But do you really think he had any kind of a lasting positive influence on them after seeing what we saw for 6 seasons and knowing he basically has been demoted and then fired from his last three jobs?

Fair points. We have seen some QBs thrive because of coaching, but maybe they are more of the anomaly. Maybe the good ones were going to be good, regardless of coach.

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

to some extent yes but the Chargers were loaded with talent at that stage and when Norv took over after Shotty Senior, he sh*t the bed.  Brees didn't really open up until he went to New Orleans and Rivers had the luxury of Tomlinson in his prime. Sure Rivers developed nicely and it was not only about Tomlinson but its nice when you have a duel threat RB to fall back on and they used the hell out of Tomlinson in the early days.

On November 4, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Beerfish said:

sh*t head had a legion of great QB's to work with when he was here, he was a lousy oc but at least he had a senblacne of an excuse personal wise.  Our blustering head coach with all world defense folded like a cheap suit in both afc title games.

So you think running a Wide Receiver reverse with Jerricho Cotchery and his 4.8 40 speed was a good idea?

Btw we had good personnel on offense when Schitty was here in 2009-2010

Archived