Norver Turner resigns as Vikings OC

Integrity28

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I honestly wouldn't mind hiring Norv. I don't think the organization has any plans to get rid of Chan Gailey though. And I really don't think Chan has done a bad job. Bit Norv would be the perfect OC for a young QB to learn under.

I think the offense has struggled in Minnesota mainly due to all the injuries they've sustained to key players. Bringing in a QB to start for your team on the eve of the regular season is tough.

I think Chan has done a decent job.

I think Norv is an exceptional OC, who is a bad head coach, but a great OC. 

As for the Vikings, they have a mediocre O Line, a QB they basically picked up week one, and in injured AP.  The fact that offense can do anything is impressive.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

2 options with this imo:

1. he was lying and didnt want to tip off the adjustments he made

2. he didnt need to, the game plan was correct and his players went out and executed the way they should have in the first half

just thought of a third option., the doo doo browns showed up n the second half and they lost.

The correct answer is #2. End of story.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

There's a portion of fans, who post here, that think Bowles should be fired. I suggested Norv as OC for the next coaching staff. It's in the first post. You can read it. Go ahead. 

Thanks for translating. I did not understand what you were talking about to be honest.

Does anyone think that if we were to bring him in to be the OC and when Bowles inevitably gets fired sooner or later that this franchise will be able to resist promoting him to HC where he has failed miserably several times?

No to Turner.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Norv Turner is a horrible head coach. If he wants to strictly be an OC and Gailey continues to struggle, bring him in, but not as a head coach

He basically wasted Philip Rivers 

Just as I said in a thread the other day, team starts sucking, the oc gets it in the neck every time, especially when the head coach is a defensive guru and his D is sucking it.  OC is the most thankless job in football.  If the team does great it is the QB and Head coach, if the team falters it is you.

50 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Didn't the players after the Cleveland game say he lit them up at halftime? Some of you guys are stretching to find sh*t to get mad at Bowles for. 

I thought the Jets dominated the second half of that game and actually won. 

Must have been a different game?????

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just as I said in a thread the other day, team starts sucking, the oc gets it in the neck every time, especially when the head coach is a defensive guru and his D is sucking it.  OC is the most thankless job in football.  If the team does great it is the QB and Head coach, if the team falters it is you.

Great post, and so true!  

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If Wade Phillips had quit, I would have started the same thread about him. I can't control that Norv is an OC, and I didn't say "fire Chan", I said "lots of you want to fire Bowles". If Bowles gets fired, his staff should go with him. So, there would theoretically be an opening for an OC. Norv is a good one.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Shouldn't we have dominated the entire game they were 0-7 

Of course!!!

But folks were saying Bowles should have changed the game plan when the game plan blew out Cleveland.  When obviously the problem was intensity not the game plan....

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

[From Twitter]CwREb3IUsAAXFM9.jpg

Wow! Finally found an organization more fu**ed up than the Jets! Norv gets them in playoffs last year, and they take away his job so Shurmur can placcate Bradford? Awesome!  Norv must be envious of all the Super Bowls Shurmur and Bradford have won. Can't make this up.:P

Touching on the 2 big points in this thread:

Norv Turner has always been a coach very gifted in the technicals who is easily outcoached in big games and collapses under pressure.  He is not headcoach material, and even his OCing is suspect.

Todd Bowles came highly recommended and many thought he would be a good head coach.  He had some success as a coordinator.  By no category has Todd Bowles been a good head coach this year.  He had some success last year and some things to work on during the offseason.   We have seen backward progress on some things and no improvement on his weaknesses.  I am strongly opposed to organizational instability, and we should want to give Bowles a chance given the NFL history of first time coaches getting their feet wet, but he needs more and better support next year, and he needs a plan to address his weaknesses.

In the Jets organizational structure, that is a conversation Bowles has with Woody.  I feel sorry for Bowles.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

In the Jets organizational structure, that is a conversation Bowles has with Woody.  I feel sorry for Bowles.

Don't feel bad for Bowles, all Jets head coaching busts get a second job, get a second big contract, and wind up back as coordinators before becoming lukewarm TV commentators.

This is the customary failed head coaching path, no different than starting QB's who become backup's and then journeymen.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wow! Finally found an organization more fu**ed up than the Jets! Norv gets them in playoffs last year, and they take away his job so Shurmur can placcate Bradford? Awesome!  Norv must be envious of all the Super Bowls Shurmur and Bradford have won. Can't make this up.:P

Last year they didnt have Bradford. They need a plan that works for him. It aint Norv.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Norv Turner is a horrible head coach. If he wants to strictly be an OC and Gailey continues to struggle, bring him in, but not as a head coach

The HC picks his staff not the GM,Owner or the fans..Now if Bowles wanted him that would be fine but Bowles picked Gailey so I don't see that happening..

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There is some real truth to this.  I think Chan is doing a pretty nice job.  Bowles, not so much.

However, a guy like Schitty truly was an unmitigated disaster.  He has been demoted multiple times now.  "Mutual parting" from Jets.   A "mutual parting" from the Rams.  Basically demoted to college at Georgia.  Once again, that program moved on from him.  Now he is a QB coach with the Colts.  Hopefully Luck ignores him entirely.

The truth is that he was no longer wanted, and found out to be utterly incompetent, from these jobs... but nobody wants to officially fire Marty's kid.

Schitty, "you suck."

Just now, RoadFan said:

There is some real truth to this.  I think Chan is doing a pretty nice job.  Bowles, not so much.

However, a guy like Schitty truly was an unmitigated disaster.  He has been demoted multiple times now.  "Mutual parting" from Jets.   A "mutual parting" from the Rams.  Basically demoted to college at Georgia.  Once again, that program moved on from him.  Now he is a QB coach with the Colts.  Hopefully Luck ignores him entirely.

The truth is that he was no longer wanted, and found out to be utterly incompetent, from these jobs... but nobody wants to officially fire Marty's kid.

Schitty, "you suck."

He was but even he got the short end of the stick with who he had to work with.  Defense got all the toys and he had to 'coach up' flawed rookies like Sanchez and Geno.  And ahead coach who like his father had disdain for his offense, tried to kill them in camp and then wondered why they failed.  For all the people on here who say Rex and Sanchez got us to two afc title games they should toss in shotty there as well.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He was but even he got the short end of the stick with who he had to work with.  Defense got all the toys and he had to 'coach up' flawed rookies like Sanchez and Geno.  And ahead coach who like his father had disdain for his offense, tried to kill them in camp and then wondered why they failed.  For all the people on here who say Rex and Sanchez got us to two afc title games they should toss in shotty there as well.

I don't agree with this at all.  The Jets got there in spite of Mark and Schitty in year one.  And in spite of Schitty in year two. If it wasn't for Schitty's 3rd and 17 call in Pittsburgh, the Jets were headed to the SB.

Don't make me rehash my Schitty highlight reel. Probably my best JI post ever.  Just agree and move on.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

He would actually be a good OC for Petty or Hack. He's good at developing young QBs, and his offense is all about having a big arm and attacking down the field.

The only time Turner actually succeeded was when he coached the cowboys offense with an all time great OL and all time great RB and an all time great possession WR.oh and a great TE and Fullback

What your saying here does not fit into what Norv turner likes to do offensively. He has a ball control pound the rock philosophy with big posession type WR's and if you don't have the right personnel to run that style of offense like we currently do not have other than Brandon Marshall Norv will not be a good fit here and FWIW hes never adapted after what he did in Dallas.

He's also developed one young QB and that was the ultimate game manager in Troy Aikman.

Norv had the perfect storm in Dallas and he's floundered ever since

14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I don't agree with this at all.  The Jets got there in spite of Mark and Schitty in year one.  And in spite of Schitty in year two. If it wasn't for Schitty's 3rd and 17 call in Pittsburgh, the Jets were headed to the SB.

Don't make me rehash my Schitty highlight reel. Probably my best JI post ever.  Just agree and move on.

how many 3rd and short empty backfield plays can one man run?

16 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

If it wasn't for sh*ttys call vs indy on the pass to Edwards on the sideline we may not win that game.  Our defense let us down in both AFC title games when it comes down to it.

Hey, I'm not saying shotty was good, he screwed up a lot for sure and his play calling was terrible at times.  He also as all OC's do took more than his share of blame and took less than his share of credit for those teams.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Crazy bad luck for Vikings. Yet, they managed to stand tall under adversity. The Jets, well, they basically balled up because they were too scared to bench the QB and didn't want to hurt their over-priced Revis's feelings. 

Horrible culture for us. Perhaps Norv can be part of the next coaching staff here... I dunno. 

They benched the Qb. And he got injured. And the next guy up after Fitz is coming off of an injury too. Plus Fitz is actually playing better. No picks in two games. So outside of the pick 6 which was an L anyways he has five in the other 7 games which is not terrible. 

Why-the-grass-is-always-greener-on-the-o

Norv is very much a "grass is always greener" idea.  The man is a failure as a head coach.  He's not someone who is going to come in and make our team better, he's going to come in a make our team mediocre for 2-3 years before being fired.

Recycled old never-was Head Coachs is not the solution.  He's Chan Gailey, and we already have Chan Gailey.

And he just quit, mid-season.  Meaning where is his head, motivation, desire at his advancing age?  

Pass on Norv.  The next Super Bowl winning Head Coach of the New York Jets is not a Norv Turner-alike.  

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

schitty was not here for geno

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Hey this is Greg Roman, I couldn't agree with you more.

Archived