Romo to Jets? Not so Fast

JetNation

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Siemian is going to get his shot this year.  If he doesn't win a Super Bowl or at least make a serious run Elway is going to go after Romo.

And besides it's not like they can't keep Siemian if they get Romo.

I'd bet the house he's not on a SB or bust program.

But it is true they can keep both.  But then will have to carry 3 QBs.  

romo just doesn't help the jets long run.  and his help in the short run would be nebulous at best.  he's got maybe two more seasons then he goes.  if he were a few years younger it might make sense.  if the jets do want to go the veteran route they really need to look for guys who are coming up on the end of their rookie contracts.  maybe luck fits into the mix.  maybe even tanenhill.  he sucks as a doltfin because he's not good enough to carry that team but the jets have a better wide receiver corp and run game.  and if they can't get a 5th year qb then they might consier moving to eil's group with rivers and eli both needing a change of scenery.  no telling what will happen.  trade wilk for a qb.

I'd take Romo if he didn't wreck our cap & we could get him trading Sheldon & a 4th.

I am so sick of watching crappy QBs, I can't take it anymore. Romo would make our offense really good! They would all be making plays. It was a lot of fun when Favre was slinging it. If the Jets have no thoughts of drafting another QB in 2017 I'd take a Romo bridge to Hackenberg.

Its not my money!

We've spent 2nd and 4th round picks on QB's, I hope we put some faith in seeing these guys through.

No more Vet's. If you trade and play Romo, how do you ever see what you have in Petty and Hack.

Glennon seems to have a very professional head on his shoulders but he's still unproven IMO.

I'd settle for Petty,Hack,Glennon.

But I'd be happy to just move forward with Petty and Hack.

The '17 QB draft class doesn't inspire a pick to be used, especially when we need to rebuild and move on from the Vets.

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Cowboys get a $20 million cap hit if they trade Romo which means he has to renegotiate his deal for a trade to happen which means Romo picks where he goes

Romo won't pick the jets

Really that hit's inevitable. The hit they take for trading him is based on money they've already paid him not how much he's due going forward. Renegotiating wouldn't help them at all, unless their plan was to keep him, and it would be a very short-lived benefit at that. Frankly that's how his cap number got so high in the first place.

Dallas would trade him even with that accelerated cap hit because they're still better off moving him for a pick than paying him an additional $14M (assuming Prescott is still upright himself).  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I'd take Romo if he didn't wreck our cap & we could get him trading Sheldon & a 4th.

I am so sick of watching crappy QBs, I can't take it anymore. Romo would make our offense really good! They would all be making plays. It was a lot of fun when Favre was slinging it. If the Jets have no thoughts of drafting another QB in 2017 I'd take a Romo bridge to Hackenberg.

Its not my money!

For the umpteenth time...

The Jets needs to undergo a 4-year rebuild to prepare for the post-Brady era.   Trying to compete now, even with a big upgrade like Romo, will fail and only prolong the Jets' reign of mediocrity.

Build a team to win the AFCE regularly for 2020 and beyond.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

For the umpteenth time...

The Jets needs to undergo a 4-year rebuild to prepare for the post-Brady era.   Trying to compete now, even with a big upgrade like Romo, will fail and only prolong the Jets' reign of mediocrity.

Build a team to win the AFCE regularly for 2020 and beyond.

And for the umpteenth time you're wrong.  There is no such thing as a 4 year rebuild.  

26 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Most scaled rookie contracts are 4-5 years so we'd be into the second rebuilding program by then

And what about the players drafted in years 2, 3, 4, and 5?  It is a staggered infusion of talent.  You're only taking into account the first year by that logic.

The elite stay.  The good ones stay if the price is right.  Crap hits the road...

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And for the umpteenth time you're wrong.  There is no such thing as a 4 year rebuild.  

Our QB play has been so bad that our fans don't have a CLUE what it's like to have a decent one. Fitz is not a "good" QB, our schedule was against a bunch of crap defenses last year.

Everyone forgets the Eagles game or the 1st 3 quarters of the Giants game (the 32nd ranked defense Giants last year), Romo has actually beaten teams with winning records. I know the guy is injury prone, but so is Bradford & I wish was had either one instead of Fitz & the question marks.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Our QB play has been so bad that our fans don't have a CLUE what it's like to have a decent one. Fitz is not a "good" QB, our schedule was against a bunch of crap defenses last year.

Everyone forgets the Eagles game or the 1st 3 quarters of the Giants game (the 32nd ranked defense Giants last year), Romo has actually beaten teams with winning records. I know the guy is injury prone, but so is Bradford & I wish was had either one instead of Fitz & the question marks.

Actually I remembered those games quite well.  Along with the Washington game or the first Pats game and the first Bills game.  And when I argued against handing the job to Fitz.  Of course every football genius called me nuts or a Geno lover for thinking that Fitz wasnt what they kept selling to us.  That there was a reason Mac held out on paying him.  But hey, what did we know.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually I remembered those games quite well.  Along with the Washington game or the first Pats game and the first Bills game.  And when I argued against handing the job to Fitz.  Of course every football genius called me nuts or a Geno lover for thinking that Fitz wasnt what they kept selling to us.  That there was a reason Mac held out on paying him.  But hey, what did we know.

I have a great story, while driving I was listening to Sirius NFL radio, and it was right after Nick Foles was released so I called in & it was Ross Tucker (ex-Bill, Fitz lover who kept saying Fitz was worth whatever the Jets had to pay him,lol).

So I got on & said I'd rather sign Foles for 1.8 with zero effect on our 2017 cap & he called me crazy. It's actually pretty funny to look back into the preseason & recall of the media had created this Fitz persona that wasn't even true. No one ever talked about high this guy had never been to the playoffs, had never beaten a team with a winning record on the road.

Plus it was "BREAKING NEWS" on all of the sports programs when Fitz signed like we resigned Aaron Rogers,lol. I think the negative media killing the Jets for not signing Fitz got Woodys fan whore attention. I seriously hate Woody Johnson, that Tebow bullsh*t really made me abhor the man.

9 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

So you want to give Garopolo a bunch of cash based on what? A few starts and a season ending injury to boot. Ask the Texans how happy they are signing a guy based on a small sample size. Not to mention that signing has turned one of the League's best young receivers(who excelled with no names throwing him the ball btw) into an after thought.

I am so tried of hearing Glennon's name. Here's a news flash. If Glennon was any good he would be STARTING! They would not have drafted another QB if he could do the job! I don't understand why you can't see that. Don't give me that bull that he just need's a chance. If he was the answer he would already be the answer for the team that drafted him. Enough about Glennon. SHEESH.

I've actually said alot of the same things about Glennon on the board. My point being I don't want another old QB good for 1,2 years. Just that Glennon/Garopolo are among the very few alternatives.

QBs aren't cheap.  

We would eat a ton of money for Romo's services, and its not like we are winning the superbowl with him given the fact that almost the entire rest of the team has to depart in FA to cover his services.  Nor does it help our rather bleak future prospects.  

Now Garrop and Glennon makes more sense from a team building point of view.  They're both young, with talent and could in principle be excellent starters in this league with the right systems.

For Garropolo, not only would he want a big contract (which is fine for a young qb), but prying him loose from a division rival would be ridiculously expensive (think 2 first rounders, or like a 1 a 2 and a 3).  Glennon would be a little more affordable, but you're still looking at a second rounder and there is still a lot of uncertainty over his play.

Now, I'd be happy with Garrop, b/c I actually think he's going to be a good qb in this league, but I think the asking price will simply be too high to be worth it.  So it should be  Glennon or the draft. 

9 hours ago, Hael said:

QBs aren't cheap.  

We would eat a ton of money for Romo's services, and its not like we are winning the superbowl with him given the fact that almost the entire rest of the team has to depart in FA to cover his services.  Nor does it help our rather bleak future prospects.  

Now Garrop and Glennon makes more sense from a team building point of view.  They're both young, with talent and could in principle be excellent starters in this league with the right systems.

For Garropolo, not only would he want a big contract (which is fine for a young qb), but prying him loose from a division rival would be ridiculously expensive (think 2 first rounders, or like a 1 a 2 and a 3).  Glennon would be a little more affordable, but you're still looking at a second rounder and there is still a lot of uncertainty over his play.

Now, I'd be happy with Garrop, b/c I actually think he's going to be a good qb in this league, but I think the asking price will simply be too high to be worth it.  So it should be  Glennon or the draft. 

Glennon is going to be an UFA. 

10 hours ago, 20andOut said:

I've actually said alot of the same things about Glennon on the board. My point being I don't want another old QB good for 1,2 years. Just that Glennon/Garopolo are among the very few alternatives.

No way Belichick trades Garropolo to us.  

Archived