Did we get rid of the chant?

Lot K Tailgaters

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I hate all of it.  I long for the good ol' days of quiet TV timeouts where you had a few minutes to talk to the person next to you and relax your voice and your muscles before the cheering started again.

The Jets exhaust us during TV timeouts, the only time we get a little quiet is during gameplay.  It's a big problem, been talking about it for years.

SAR I

You're making a good case to sit next to joewilly on the couch.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Flushing Roots said:

joewilly misses going to games tailgating seeing the action up close and personal, hopefully the fanbase at the games changes drastically if I decide to buy a few PSL's. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

BULsh*t 

The fair weather fans in the seats and the increase in opposing teams fans along with the Jets organization killed the chant. 

Fireman Ed was harassed by idiotic fans over the teams performance. 

Ed is a good guy dedicated fireman who put his life on the line he didnt deserve the backlash because the team stunk. 

SAR I you act as if you are 75 years old do you also drink a boost and take Geritol before going to the game, you go there to cheer on your team not have quiet time. 

Sheesh 

Ah, it's everyone's fault except ex-season ticket holders on their couches no longer chanting in the stadium and the chant leader who rage quit on the team.  You see the irony, yes?  If you kept your season tickets and if Ed didn't storm off in anger your beloved chant would still be relevant.

You really do need to come out of your fantasy-land.  The PSL's sold.  The Jets lead the AFC in attendance.  You aren't missed.  The stadium is full and moves on without you.  If it's too quiet for your liking, turn up the volume on your TV.  You have no say in the matter.  You opted-out instead of being a difference-maker.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So you're kids are on their phones all game too. 

Its bush league grown men wrestling for a dime store t-shirt,please. 

My kids are on their phones constantly, it's a fact of life in 2017.  While at the games they use them far less.

Where I sit the grown men don't fight over t-shirts.  Their kids do.  They enjoy it so there's no harm in it.

SAR I

The noise during breaks and the toxic music during warmups are equally horrible.

But this is now a problem at all venues NOT just at MLS.

I am a Ranger STH and used to really enjoy watching the 30 minute pregame warmups. Now they blast the worst imaginable musical noise at a million decibels for the entire period. So now we make sure NOT to show up until warmups are over.

14 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

No, I'm stating that if the NFL wants to encourage fans to attend games they need to manage noise and sensory overload properly. 

The biggest problem is the players.  They are almost universally unlikable.  The moment fans don't respect the players is the moment the sport suffers.  I'd prefer they address this as the priority.  I can live with the noisy play stoppages, I can't live with players who quit on their teammates.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

joewilly misses going to games tailgating seeing the action up close and personal, hopefully the fanbase at the games changes drastically if I decide to buy a few PSL's. 

We don't want you back.  Stay home.  Less disappointment for you there.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

The noise during breaks and the toxic music during warmups are equally horrible.

But this is now a problem at all venues NOT just at MLS.

I am a Ranger STH and used to really enjoy watching the 30 minute pregame warmups. Now they blast the worst imaginable musical noise at a million decibels for the entire period. So now we make sure NOT to show up until warmups are over.

All true.  If I ever did stop going to games it would be because of lazy players and overused PA announcers.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We don't want you back.  Stay home.  Less disappointment for you there.

SAR I

You have no choice, no worries I'm looking to get good seats I wont be anywhere near you. 

SAR I Ive been to more games in my life than you will ever be and I will be there every week regardless of weather,record,game time, opponent ,moon position and I will never sell out. 

No opposing teams fans will ever sit in my seats. 

1 hour ago, Flushing Roots said:

The Jets send out those questionnaires to STHs about the game day experience all the time.

I'm with you that I'd like a little more quiet when play stops but what the Jets are doing must be a result of their research.

We have to conclude that most fans like all the noise.

If this is true it says a lot about the demographics of current STHs.

It must be a much younger crowd than you or me.

I don't know many 50+ fans that like an ear job during every time out.

Waiting for the year end survey.  Going to go hard on the crappy in game experience.  

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You have no choice, no worries I'm looking to get good seats I wont be anywhere near you. 

SAR I Ive been to more games in my life than you will ever be and I will be there every week regardless of weather,record,game time, opponent ,moon position and I will never sell out. 

No opposing teams fans will ever sit in my seats.

Was this meant to be believable or just another one of your nonsensical statements?

SAR I

3 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Waiting for the year end survey.  Going to go hard on the crappy in game experience.  

Just got it today, crushed them on the parking congestion (Uber by the pedestrian bridge) and the PA (noise levels and useless content).

I think the Uber situation will get corrected.  I don't think the PA will ever get addressed.

SAR I

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

New York City is one of the top tourist destinations in the world, certainly in the USA, and if you're an NFL fan and your team is visiting and you're into Central Park in Autumn, Broadway in the Fall, Rockerfeller Center at Christmas, or the myriad of other sites to see in Manhattan that overlap the season, its a cheap flight and a lot of fun. 

We don't want these nerdy , touristy , hay-seeds at our games . We want football fans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Just got it today, crushed them on the parking congestion (Uber by the pedestrian bridge) and the PA (noise levels and useless content).

I think the Uber situation will get corrected.  I don't think the PA will ever get addressed.

SAR I

Did you ask them about the lack of grey poupon ?

1 hour ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Wrong ; check your facts ; Ed quit because he was accosted by some rowdy assholes in the bathroom . 

That is the story that you choose to believe.  While I do not doubt some haters might have started an unfortunate and uncalled for physical altercation, I believe that if he were 100% happy with his role wild horses wouldn't have pulled him away.  I remember listening to podcasts back in the first few years of MetLife where Ed was voicing his displeasure with the constitution of the fanbase and their lack of participation in the chant.

There was a very clear and consistent trajectory for this franchise from 1997 to 2011 and then it became very apparent where we were headed from 2012 to 2016.  The timing of Fireman Ed, joewilly12, and thousands of other long-time Jets fans post-Buttfumble is very telling.

SAR I

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

The chant died because there is nobody to properly do it and the team was bad this year.

The chant died even when Fireman Ed was leading it.  You folks need to accept the fact that it was a fad not unlike the Macarena or the Wave and the next generation in the stadium today, those kids who were 15 in 2000, are simply not into it.  After a score they celebrate in different ways, many of them immediately run to Instagram to post up their photos or Facebook to type their excitement for those same 30 seconds that used to be chant time.

And, yes, when the team is bad the fans are in no mood to chant especially when those rare occasions lead us to the endzone so infrequently.

SAR I

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:Disagree SAR. With that logic, no other chants in all of sports would exist

Name me another chant in all of sports that is owned by a single individual and not the team as a whole. 

That's the problem with the Jets chant. It is tied to Fireman Ed who is a polarizing character to say the least.  

SAR I

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

That is the story that you choose to believe.  While I do not doubt some haters might have started an unfortunate and uncalled for physical altercation, I believe that if he were 100% happy with his role wild horses wouldn't have pulled him away.  I remember listening to podcasts back in the first few years of MetLife where Ed was voicing his displeasure with the constitution of the fanbase and their lack of participation in the chant.

There was a very clear and consistent trajectory for this franchise from 1997 to 2011 and then it became very apparent where we were headed from 2012 to 2016.  The timing of Fireman Ed, joewilly12, and thousands of other long-time Jets fans post-Buttfumble is very telling.

SAR I

When you go to the game with your wife or your kids, as Ed often did, and a few fans follow you into the bathroom you are justified in saying enough is enough. When people are buying tickets on stubhub so they can sit by you, harass you and get on camera you are also justified in saying enough is enough.

Ed told me that it was never people wearing Jets jerseys giving him a hard time. It was people wearing jerseys of other teams or no sports gear at all.

I once saw Robert Kraft stop his Limo in the parking lot to thank Ed for something he did outside of the stadium (it wasn't political or anything like that). Completely random but I can see Ed from where I sit in the stadium now. He moved his seats. And I can tell you that people come up to him all game. he stops, shakes hands, takes pictures and talks to people. All game long. When the game is over and people are leaving sometimes he can't leave for quite some time. I have never seen him be rude to anyone. I have never seen him ask anyone for anything.

You make him out to be someone that he is not. Your opinion of his is wrong. 

More importantly, your take on the modern day version of the chant is wrong. And your thoughts on people who tailgate before the game, that is wrong too.

That is a whole lot of wrong. :)

This is all so dumb.  When the Jets start playing well (and it may feel like eons until such time), the chant will be back... loud and often.  

Until then, who really cares anyway?  Why would anyone want to chant for a terrible effort by a team with veteran players who have demonstrated that they don't really care..  Frankly, we can blame Bowles for the final collapse of the chant in 2016.  It will take a winning season or two for it to resurface. 

And why does anyone really care anyway?  I call bullsheet on all the heated opinions about this unimportant issue.

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

When you go to the game with your wife or your kids, as Ed often did, and a few fans follow you into the bathroom you are justified in saying enough is enough. When people are buying tickets on stubhub so they can sit by you, harass you and get on camera you are also justified in saying enough is enough.

Ed told me that it was never people wearing Jets jerseys giving him a hard time. It was people wearing jerseys of other teams or no sports gear at all.

I once saw Robert Kraft stop his Limo in the parking lot to thank Ed for something he did outside of the stadium (it wasn't political or anything like that). Completely random but I can see Ed from where I sit in the stadium now. He moved his seats. And I can tell you that people come up to him all game. he stops, shakes hands, takes pictures and talks to people. All game long. When the game is over and people are leaving sometimes he can't leave for quite some time. I have never seen him be rude to anyone. I have never seen him ask anyone for anything.

More importantly, your take on the modern day version of the chant is wrong. And your thoughts on people who tailgate before the game, that is wrong too.

+1

I met Eddie several times.  Great guy and a solid, passionate, unpretentious fan.

Genuine guy.  He's still in great shape.  Hope he makes a comeback.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Agree 110% great post Max,  I have met Ed numerous times he's been nothing but an all around nice guy a diehard Jets fan like most of us.  

He is the chant not the video board not a substitute no one can replace Ed.

Im not at all the games anymore but the few games i do attend I miss the chant,I miss Ed leading the crowd. 

Dont understand how Jets fans can hate a guy who gets an entire stadium to scream J-E-T-S  JETS JETS JETS 

Archived