Offseason Scenario

BCJet

Taking a stab at what I would consider an excellent offseason for the JETS

Players let go/waived:  Mangold, Marshall, Revis, Clady, Harris, Gilchrist, Fitzpatrick, Geno.  We need to go young and cheap in order to develop the team.

FA Resigned:  Wes Johnson, Ben Ijalana (both as opening day starters at C and LT respectively)

Trade:  Sheldon Richardson and 2018 5th round pick for AJ McCarron.  I would expect Richardson to play well in the Bengals defense but it doesn’t matter.  We cant properly use him, Wilkerson and Leonard Williams, and the chance of acquiring a starting QB for him is an excellent risk reward.

Free Agency:  Sign one Marquee FA at CB - either Stephen Gilmore or AJ Bouye.  Sign one top tier FA in Tony Jefferson, Safety from Arizona.  Find a mid-tier TE.  Backup center/guard

Draft

1 – Move down with either Arizona or Cleveland who want a QB.  At pick 12/13 take whichever of Jamal Adams, Ruben Foster, or Malik Hooker is available.  Shut down corners are great, but having one elite CB while the rest of the defense is average wont work against good teams/Offensive Coordinators.  Either of the Safeties along with Jefferson and Pryor would solidify that position and allow us to play Pryor close to the LOS as Bowles did with Deone Buchanan in Arizona.  If foster fell that far, we would not only have an excellent starting MLB, but the perfect complement to Darron Lee which would allow him to play more in space.  Our short area coverage would immediately improve with Lee/Foster

2 – Tony Garcia OT from Troy.  He is a prototypical LT, who lacks big school experience.  We can start Ijalana at LT in 2017 and groom Garcia to be our Future LT

2 -TJ Watt not only does he have valuable upside as a pass rusher and complete OLB, but you cant have enough high character players as we saw this year.

3 – Wayne Gallman  Would usually be a 2nd round pick who will fall to the 3rd given the depth of this class.  Has 3 down starting potential for 2018 and can play the role of #3 RB in 2017

5 – Jake Butt  Another solid value in the 5th who would have been a 3rd round pick had he not gotten hurt.  Likely will begin year on PUP list which nets you an extra roster spot coming out of TC

6 – Best available CB still left.  This is a deep draft for CBs and guys will fall due to the depth of the class

7 – Whoever Mac likes as he is very good at finding UDFA/guys at the end of the draft

I know it seems like the Jets are VERY Far from being a competitive NFL Team, but the truth is there is a lot of young talent on this team, that simply needs a strong locker room and good (not great) QB play to be successful.  Putting the above team together with a QB like McCarron who understands the position can compete in 2017 but also can grow into a legitimate contender for 2018.  This plan also allows to spend money and draft picks on positions aside from QB with 3 potential outcomes.  1 – McCarron shows that he is a legitimate NFL starter, the team resigns him to a good contract after a full year of evaluating him inside our own doors.  McCarron doesn’t work out, but Hackenberg, with another full year of practice as the #2 and development shows enough to take over in 2018.  Or McCarron flops and Hack continues to be a disaster, which makes it abundantly clear the team needs to use draft capital on a QB in the 2018 draft. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Players let go/waived:  Mangold, Marshall, Revis, Clady, Harris, Gilchrist, Fitzpatrick, Geno.  We need to go young and cheap in order to develop the team.

FA Resigned:  Wes Johnson, Ben Ijalana (both as opening day starters at C and LT respectively)

Trade:  Sheldon Richardson and 2018 5th round pick for AJ McCarron.  I would expect Richardson to play well in the Bengals defense but it doesn’t matter.  We cant properly use him, Wilkerson and Leonard Williams, and the chance of acquiring a starting QB for him is an excellent risk reward.

Free Agency:  Sign one Marquee FA at CB - either Stephen Gilmore or AJ Bouye.  Sign one top tier FA in Tony Jefferson, Safety from Arizona.  Find a mid-tier TE.  Backup center/guard

Draft

1 – Move down with either Arizona or Cleveland who want a QB.  At pick 12/13 take whichever of Jamal Adams, Ruben Foster, or Malik Hooker is available.  Shut down corners are great, but having one elite CB while the rest of the defense is average wont work against good teams/Offensive Coordinators.  Either of the Safeties along with Jefferson and Pryor would solidify that position and allow us to play Pryor close to the LOS as Bowles did with Deone Buchanan in Arizona.  If foster fell that far, we would not only have an excellent starting MLB, but the perfect complement to Darron Lee which would allow him to play more in space.  Our short area coverage would immediately improve with Lee/Foster

2 – Tony Garcia OT from Troy.  He is a prototypical LT, who lacks big school experience.  We can start Ijalana at LT in 2017 and groom Garcia to be our Future LT

2 -TJ Watt not only does he have valuable upside as a pass rusher and complete OLB, but you cant have enough high character players as we saw this year.

3 – Wayne Gallman  Would usually be a 2nd round pick who will fall to the 3rd given the depth of this class.  Has 3 down starting potential for 2018 and can play the role of #3 RB in 2017

5 – Jake Butt  Another solid value in the 5th who would have been a 3rd round pick had he not gotten hurt.  Likely will begin year on PUP list which nets you an extra roster spot coming out of TC

6 – Best available CB still left.  This is a deep draft for CBs and guys will fall due to the depth of the class

7 – Whoever Mac likes as he is very good at finding UDFA/guys at the end of the draft

I know it seems like the Jets are VERY Far from being a competitive NFL Team, but the truth is there is a lot of young talent on this team, that simply needs a strong locker room and good (not great) QB play to be successful.  Putting the above team together with a QB like McCarron who understands the position can compete in 2017 but also can grow into a legitimate contender for 2018.  This plan also allows to spend money and draft picks on positions aside from QB with 3 potential outcomes.  1 – McCarron shows that he is a legitimate NFL starter, the team resigns him to a good contract after a full year of evaluating him inside our own doors.  McCarron doesn’t work out, but Hackenberg, with another full year of practice as the #2 and development shows enough to take over in 2018.  Or McCarron flops and Hack continues to be a disaster, which makes it abundantly clear the team needs to use draft capital on a QB in the 2018 draft. 

You say go young and cheap in your opening foray and then decide to try and sign some of the most prime and expensive FAs.

I would hate the trade for McCarron.  shel rich and a 5th?

Whoever plays QB, McCarron I assume since you paid so much for him will be on injury reserve by week 4 with Ijalana at LT

I don;t have an issue with your draft.

Foster, Hooker and Adams will all most likely be off the board after the top 10. I'm huge on Jamal Adams but what i'd like to see through free agency is Mac doubling down at the cb position. Sign 2 of either Gilmore,Trumaine Johnson or Bouye with all the cuts we should make we should have tons of cap room. This defense relies so heavily on  man corner coverage we can't ignore this position or take a risk on one of these corners in the draft. We sign 2 high level corners then draft Adams or Hooker and out secondary is dramatically improved and also still young. LT in 2nd round. Keep ASJ this guy can play I know the dwi hes an idiot but he didnt make any waves when he came here last season he can block and has solid hands.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You say go young and cheap in your opening foray and then decide to try and sign some of the most prime and expensive FAs.

I would hate the trade for McCarron.  shel rich and a 5th?

Whoever plays QB, McCarron I assume since you paid so much for him will be on injury reserve by week 4 with Ijalana at LT

I don;t have an issue with your draft.

What do you think Sheldon Richardson is bringing back in a trade?  We couldnt get a first rounder for him last year before his snapchat episode and fued with brandon marshall, so what should we expect now that its the offseason?  Hes been suspended twice and the entire league knows we dont have leverage in a trade.  Getting a QB back who has had time to learn the pro game, to me, is a decent return with much more upside then richardson has since we will lose him as a FA anyway.

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

What do you think Sheldon Richardson is bringing back in a trade?  We couldnt get a first rounder for him last year before his snapchat episode and fued with brandon marshall, so what should we expect now that its the offseason?  Hes been suspended twice and the entire league knows we dont have leverage in a trade.  Getting a QB back who has had time to learn the pro game, to me, is a decent return with much more upside then richardson has since we will lose him as a FA anyway.

He won;t bring back much but I'm not a mccarron fan.  I actually think when push comes to shove we might be able to get a 3rd plus another late rounder.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He won;t bring back much but I'm not a mccarron fan.  I actually think when push comes to shove we might be able to get a 3rd plus another late rounder.

Fair enough. I understand that I probably put more value in McCarron then most people, I just see a QB that has the measurables as far as height and hand size, with an above average arm (not elite - but we are also not talking about greg mcelroy).  McCarron, to me, is a guy who knows when to throw the ball away, can "manage the game" and has a lot of big game experience, which seems (in a limited sample size) to have translated to the NFL as shown in him throwing a playoff TD to put his team ahead in a game they should have easily won.

19 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Fair enough. I understand that I probably put more value in McCarron then most people, I just see a QB that has the measurables as far as height and hand size, with an above average arm (not elite - but we are also not talking about greg mcelroy).  McCarron, to me, is a guy who knows when to throw the ball away, can "manage the game" and has a lot of big game experience, which seems (in a limited sample size) to have translated to the NFL as shown in him throwing a playoff TD to put his team ahead in a game they should have easily won.

I never want to see a weak armed or average armed "game manager" at QB again. The all defense no playmaker manage the offense philosophy if building a team does not work. Develop Hack asnd Petty. We need playmakers(RB, WR, TE,, OLB and FA) and a dynamic QB. Stop recycling the same losing plans

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Draft

I hate you.

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Draft

not a bad list.  i think i'd try to grab myles garrett with the 6 pick and if he's not there go for a corner over a safety.  fournette is also a possibility especially if they get a decent qb in free agency or via trade.  mccarron could be the guy, along with glennon or even cutler.  sheldon plus a 5th rounder seems a little steep. i don't think cleveland is worried about grabbing a qb since they have the 1st and 12th picks.  they should move down and get more quality picks. 

i like the cuts but would welcome mangold, marshall, clady, harris and even revis back assuming they'd take pay cuts.  revis is still intriguing because his issue is one of committment more than physical ability.  he came in out of shape and injured and stayed that way.  if he comes back wanting to prove something it could work.  harris? tackling machine but not fast enough for today's schemes.  marshall?  he really needs to recommit himself to being a football player.  he can still scare defenses.  clady? he needs a pay cut as does mangold.

18 hours ago, BCJet said:

Draft

McCarron?  Yuck. Nope.   Thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

McCarron?  Yuck. Nope.   Thanks anyway.

Curious - what makes Trubisky or or deshon kizer more likely to be successful NFL quarterbacks then McCarron.  Kizer was replaced on his own college team in the 4th quarter of games and his biggest attribute is his "arm and athletic ability", and we all know how little those traits carry over to NFL success.  Trubisky checks some boxes and seems like a good guy, but again, what makes him safer then McCarron when you consider that we would need to use the #6 pick on him, thereby losing out on an additional good/potentially great player?

21 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Curious - what makes Trubisky or or deshon kizer more likely to be successful NFL quarterbacks then McCarron.  Kizer was replaced on his own college team in the 4th quarter of games and his biggest attribute is his "arm and athletic ability", and we all know how little those traits carry over to NFL success.  Trubisky checks some boxes and seems like a good guy, but again, what makes him safer then McCarron when you consider that we would need to use the #6 pick on him, thereby losing out on an additional good/potentially great player?

never said that any of them would.  After reading Mayock's article on them, none of them excite me.  I have seen mcCarron play for the Bengals.  Do not want.  Sucks ass. 

Archived