Hooker Among Jets Pre-Draft Visits

JetNation

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

A safety who can actually play the position, why is that a bad thing?

It is if it's going to cost my team anything over 8 mil per against the cap . Any position not considered a premium position is IMO, an interchangeable parts position . That means from my perspective that you sign/ draft players at the end of the draft, develop them and change out players who price themselves out of the range I'm willing to spend on that position. 

No exceptions, no quarter .

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The problem is that quarterbacks, especially young quarterbacks need to be developed and come into a good situation beyond just being good players. sh*t team around a great quarterback and you end up with Andrew Luck who is starting to become damaged goods. 

Andrew Luck was drafted onto a team that was bereft of talent, and instantly made them relevant again. The problem is the front office has done nothing since to help him take them to the next level. They are living proof that it's better to be lucky than smart. 

Take a quarterback at 6. Anything else is a waste of draft capital. In fact if it were me, I'd take 3 QBs in this draft:

- Watson/Trubisky at #6

- Trade our second and Sheldon Richardson to move back into the first, and select Mahomes

- Nate Peterman in the third

- Maybe even take Chad Kelly in the 5th for good measure. 

Let them all fight it out for the starting job. 

Quarterbacks are the Alpha and the Omega in the NFL. Nothing else matters. 

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Andrew Luck was drafted onto a team that was bereft of talent, and instantly made them relevant again. The problem is the front office has done nothing since to help him take them to the next level. They are living proof that it's better to be lucky than smart. 

Take a quarterback at 6. Anything else is a waste of draft capital. In fact if it were me, I'd take 3 QBs in this draft:

- Watson/Trubisky at #6

- Trade our second and Sheldon Richardson to move back into the first, and select Mahomes

- Nate Peterman in the third

- Maybe even take Chad Kelly in the 5th for good measure. 

Let them all fight it out for the starting job. 

Quarterbacks are the Alpha and the Omega in the NFL. Nothing else matters. 

I have been thinking about this QB thing, and I think I have another way of looking at it.  With one exception from last year, I think you can argue that NFL teams do this as a matter of course anyway-if you are picking in the draft and there is a QB on the board better than what you have, pick them.  You can try and roll the dice and try and wait to pick a QB because you think they will make it to the next round, but it is kind of sad if your QB situation is so bad that a second round or worse QB is better than the best QB on your roster.

You need to take into account uncertainty, development, etc., but if teams did that they would be much better off.  

When you think about the teams with QBs, they are not picking QBs early because they have a good one.   Maybe they apply that rule later to their back up.  

So one could argue that the Jets should take one of the QBs at 6, because arguably several of them are better than anyone they have on the roster, and those QBs will not make it to the Jets' pick in the second round.  Gil Brandt sees 5 QBs getting drafted in the first round.

Last year, the Browns either did not follow this strategy or thought RG III was better than Carson Wentz.  I think the view now is that they were wrong.

Can you think of another team in recent history that passed up an opportunity to improve their QB?

While I won't go overboard and compare him to Reed, I do believe that Hooker is the best safety prospect since Eric Berry (except for maybe Earl Thomas). That kinda potential is worth taking with the 6th IMO.

But at the same time I would be upset if we skipped safety early, because there are some mid round guys that I really like (John Johnson, Josh Jones, Lorenzo Jerome)

2 hours ago, King P said:

While I won't go overboard and compare him to Reed, I do believe that Hooker is the best safety prospect since Eric Berry (except for maybe Earl Thomas). That kinda potential is worth taking with the 6th IMO.

But at the same time I would be upset if we skipped safety early, because there are some mid round guys that I really like (John Johnson, Josh Jones, Lorenzo Jerome)

I think the kid from Richmond is a player I would like to see on the Jets roster . At 6'2" and over 200lbs  with what he did in their secondary, I 'm curious about David Jones .

Safety at 6 is moronic especially one that is not perfect. 6 is too high for CBs too. QB WR OT Edge Rusher DT possibly RB not necessarily in that order at 6. Id like us to trade down a couple times. Try and wind up with another first next year.

No to Adams, Hooker

No to Fournette 

No to any of these QBs

No to any CB especially Lattimore.

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey, you know what would be a really great idea for a franchise with a dogsh*t offense? Using 2 first round picks on safeties in 4 years, one of which was the 6th overall. No really, I can't see how that's going to work out poorly at all.

Our receivers are pedestrian and we have no quarterback in a quarterback league, but hey we'll have the next Jack Tatum and the next Eric Berry! We'll never score any points, but no one will ever challenge us deep!

28 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey, you know what would be a really great idea for a franchise with a dogsh*t offense? Using 2 first round picks on safeties in 4 years, one of which was the 6th overall. No really, I can't see how that's going to work out poorly at all.

This is a fan base that worshipped Rex Ryan, a below .500 career coach, and painted Geno Smith as an untapped elite QB. Nothing should sound crazy after that.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Safety at 6 is moronic especially one that is not perfect. 6 is too high for CBs too. QB WR OT Edge Rusher DT possibly RB not necessarily in that order at 6. Id like us to trade down a couple times. Try and wind up with another first next year.

No to Adams, Hooker

No to Fournette 

No to any of these QBs

No to any CB especially Lattimore.

You think Maccagnan -- who has maybe one more offseason to turn this thing around -- is going to take a high risk player (with the exception of a QB) in the top 10?  No way.  Hooker is injured and hasn't been able to workout.  If he turns into an injury prone player in the NFL, that's Mac's ass.  Of course, if Hooker turns into Reed or even Earl Thomas, the posters on here are going to be posting about how Maccagnan was a moron for passing on Hooker.

11 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

You think Maccagnan -- who has maybe one more offseason to turn this thing around -- is going to take a high risk player (with the exception of a QB) in the top 10?  No way.  Hooker is injured and hasn't been able to workout.  If he turns into an injury prone player in the NFL, that's Mac's ass.  Of course, if Hooker turns into Reed or even Earl Thomas, the posters on here are going to be posting about how Maccagnan was a moron for passing on Hooker.

I can see this draft going differently than any of us or the "experts" predict, and I agree that riskiness of a pick will play a large part in who gets picked early.

The Jets could determine that one of the WRs is less risky than at least Hooker.  

On 4/7/2017 at 7:00 AM, JetNation said:

malik-hooker.jpeg

By Glenn Naughton

Take a look around the web at the plethora of mock drafts available and you’ll see the Jets frequently linked to an immensely talented player who seems to be diving onlookers in their assessment of what he’ll bring to the table at the pro level.

Malik Hooker is one of the more polarizing players in this years draft among Jets fans who are concerned over his being a “one year wonder” having played only one full season at Ohio State, coupled with the fact that he recently had surgery to repair a torn labrum and a hernia, a pair of injuries that he played through last season.

As far as the Gang Green faithful are concerned, the fact that their top pick could be defense once again isn’t all that intriguing.

However, there are plenty of onlookers who still view the Ohio State product as the top choice for Gang Green with the sixth overall pick despite the injuries.   Why so many are willing to look the other way regarding Hooker’s durability?  Simple…his on-field play has already been compared to one future Hall-of-Famer who the Jets missed out on years ago in Ed Reed, and those comparisons have been validated by somebody who would know as well as anyone.

Current Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano was also on the same Miami Hurricanes staff that developed Reed, whom the Jets passed up on in favor of linebacker Bryan Thomas in the 2002 NFL draft, says that what makes Hooker a top prospect, his range, is comparable to Reed in an interview with Fox sports.

“Range is the biggest comparison,” Schiano told FOX Sports Monday. “And when he has the ball in his hands. Remember when Ed got the ball? Whoo. If he didn’t score, you were disappointed. Same thing with this kid.”

Hooker’s range was evident and on full display in 2016.  In his 13 games this season, Hooker had an eye-popping 7 interceptions, three of which he took back the other way for touchdowns.

While Hooker may be the most dynamic defensive back in this year’s class, he does have the aforementioned injury concerns and is far from the perfect player on the field.  When he’s not patrolling center field and making life miserable for quarterbacks, Hooker isn’t exactly stellar against the run.

He’s often accused of arm-tackling and an unwillingness to “stick his face in the fan”, but just how much of that can be attributed to the injuries he was playing with is unknown.

Even if he’s not a top-flight tackler, Hooker has the type of talent that the Jets may not want to pass up on.  They did it with Reed.  Will history repeat itself this time around?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

B_lAr0nd-bI

Click here to read the full story...

I took this headline for something different entirely lol.. 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I took this headline for something different entirely lol.. 

I had the same though and was like they should be visiting players! Regardless if it is the player or the profession, the Jets should draft no hookers.

For clarity's sake, I am actually concerned the Jets could manage to draft a prostitute in the draft instead of a football player.

27 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I had the same though and was like they should be visiting players! Regardless if it is the player or the profession, the Jets should draft no hookers.

For clarity's sake, I am actually concerned the Jets could manage to draft a prostitute in the draft instead of a football player.

Ha I think the immature ny writers would have a field day with the headlines. "Hooker gets a rise out of Jets. " "Hooker Is very happy to be in the big apple " lol 

Just want to say I'm not crazy about Hooker.  Takes odd angles sometimes and isn't the most willing tackler. At some moments it does look like he's shying away in just wanting to drag someone down.

Above all, I worry about his getting hurt.. He had 2 surgeries now and one of them I consider significant.  Surprising for a guy who doesn't have a ton of wear and tear on his body.

Jamal Adams is better in my mind.

Also love the Utah safety.  Think that dude is awesome.  Also a couple of guys later on.  The Colorado safety doesn't get talked about much but I really like what he does.

Manish Mehta‏ @MMehtaNYDN

Interesting name to keep an eye on: Penn State WR Chris Godwin is visiting the @NYJets today, I'm told.

Kimberly Jones‏ @KimJonesSports

Had a great Combine (4.42 40), has chemistry with Christian Hackenberg.

Archived