Why not trade Sheldon Richardson for Brett Hundley?

T0mShane

So, PFT has it that an unnamed team was all set to trade for Brett Hundley from the Packers, but the deal fell apart. He's got two years remaining on his deal and is never going to play in a Green Bay. If we gather that Richardson's value is simply that of a comp pick, I think Hundley would be worth a third round comp pick today. Hey, bonus thought: give them Hackenberg in the deal, too. 

Report: Packers came close to trading Brett Hundley on Friday

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 30, 2017, 12:47 PM EDT
483904166-e1466518415287.jpg?w=250Getty Images

As the Packers added new players during the draft, they also looked to unload one of their current players.

Green Bay was shopping backup quarterback Brett Hundley and came close to making a deal on the second day of the draft, ESPN reports. There’s no word on which teams the Packers talked to or what kinds of offers they got, but the report says the Packers still believe they can get “much more” than a fifth-round pick for the quarterback they drafted in the fifth round in 2015.

Hundley has talent but hasn’t been able to show it off much while sitting behind Aaron Rodgers. His career stat line is 2-for-10 for 17 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception. Given that he hasn’t shown much of anything, it’s unclear why the Packers think teams would be higher on him in the trade market now than they were in the draft two years ago.

Hundley has two more years remaining on his rookie contract. Joe Callahan is the only other quarterback under contract to the Packers, although they have reportedly agreed to terms with undrafted free agent Taysom Hill.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Why? Hes no better than what we have. Just being the backup to Rogers or Brady does not make you a great QB. It has been shown over and over.

As far as talent goes, he'd easily be our best QB prospect by a lot.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

"His career stat line is 2-for-10 for 17 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception."

Sure, let's throw the house at them for that stat line.  Heck, we could have stuck with Geno if that's our goal.

IT WOULDN'T COST YOU THE HOUSE DAN THAT'S THE POINT

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

IT WOULDN'T COST YOU THE HOUSE DAN THAT'S THE POINT

First of all, my hearing is quite good.  No yelling.

Second, I was being facetious because...what good does it do to add yet another sub-mediocre QB to our roster.  A former 5th round pick who went 2-10 with 1 INT and no TDs.  Why would we want him for free?

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

First of all, my hearing is quite good.  No yelling.

Second, I was being facetious because...what good does it do to add yet another sub-mediocre QB to our roster.  A former 5th round pick who went 2-10 with 1 INT and no TDs.  Why would we want him for free?

Because he was drafted by a program that's a lot smarter than ours and he has a lot of talent.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because he was drafted by a program that's a lot smarter than ours and he has a lot of talent.

Yeah I'm not convinced that's enough reason but that's at least a reason and I can't tell you it's wrong.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If he is that good, why were they trying to trade him for a 5th round pick....and why couldn't they find a team? 

Very odd for a team to trade away a future franchise QB with 2 years left on a team friendly rookie contract. Even with Rodgers on the team, he would be really cheap insurance in case of an injury. 

Not to mention, if this team wanted to add another QB with "talent" they could have used one of their many picks to snag one of the guys in this draft. Clearly they are Ok with the guys they have and aren't interested in bringing in anymore "potential" guys that will steal snaps from Hack/Petty. 

Archived