Jets' Jamal Adams says he is 'total package,' dismisses doubts about coverage skills

Gas2No99

Jets' Jamal Adams says he is 'total package,' dismisses doubts about coverage skills

FLORHAM PARK -- It was just one spring practice. But on Wednesday at Jets minicamp, rookie strong safety Jamal Adams broke up a pass headed for the end zone -- and then, on the next play, intercepted a ball. 

This is just the beginning for Adams, whom the Jets drafted sixth overall. But he is intent on proving wrong those who doubted his coverage skills during the pre-draft process. 

"I don't know why they questioned me," he told NJ Advance Media on Thursday, when the Jets concluded minicamp. "That was one thing that bothered me throughout the whole process. Everybody kept talking about: 'Can he cover?'

"I just kind of had to sit back and let that talk be said. But at the same time, when I'm on the field, I like to show it. That was part of my game. That's what I felt like I could bring to the table. I was a total package as a safety." 

The Jets are done with practice until they report to training camp on July 28. The early returns on Adams this spring were positive, albeit during no-pads, no-contact practices.

One thing is for certain: Adams and fellow rookie Marcus Maye (second-round pick) will be the Jets' safety duo in 2017 -- a tall order for a pair of first-year players. 

"I don't think we look at it as pressure," Adams said. "We look at it as opportunity. It's a great opportunity for both of us to get back there and make plays, take control of the defense in the back end, and be that quarterback." 

Adams was also vocal in practice this spring, as he prepares to be a leader for the young Jets in 2017. A rookie typically isn't a vocal leader, but Adams embraces the role. 

"I've always been very vocal," he said. "One thing that I've always been told by older guys that came before me, they told me to be myself. So I'm not going to change. I definitely feel like I can become a leader.

"I just feel very confident in myself. You can always work to be better as a leader, but I think you're kind of just a natural-born leader. I was gifted to have a voice, and always lead by example, on and off the field. I'll just take it to another level." 

At first, earlier this spring, Adams found himself overthinking things on the field. But as he gained comfort, his play smoothed out. 

"Everything hit me fast, but everything is starting to slow down," he said. 

Was this a case of rookie nerves?  

"Not at all," Adams said quickly. 

Did he expect to have some of those? 

"No, not really," he said, just as quickly. "I'm very confident in what I can do, what I can bring to the team." 

The Jets hope Adams and Maye can be their safety duo for years to come. The team recently posted a photo of them on Twitter that was a mock album album cover. (See it down below.)

The image -- which was typical fun, promotional NFL team Twitter stuff -- included this phrase: "Opponent advisory -- no fly zone." Many Twitter users mocked the image, and essentially said it'll appear cringe-worthy, in retrospect, if Adams and Maye get torched this season.

Adams laughed about the tweet on Thursday, while saying it wasn't his idea. 

"They kind of blew it up," he said with a smile. "We didn't know that was going to happen. They were just like, 'Do the pose.' We did the pose, and the next thing we know, the next day, it's like: 'Debut album coming out.' And everybody is texting us, and we were like, 'What?' They were killing us on Twitter, just saying all types of stuff." 

Adams knows the obvious answer to that Twitter trash talk -- playing like he did for much of this spring, especially in coverage. 

WATCH: 3 stars from Jets' 3-day minicamp, including Juston Burris

FLORHAM PARK -- Kacy Rodgers was just being honest. The Jets defensive coordinator was asked a question during organized team activities, and he gave an answer. 

Juston Burris' role a season ago? It wasn't enough. 

"[He] probably should have played more," Rodgers said

The Jets finished OTAs last week. They just capped their three-day minicamp on Thursday. Through them both, it's easy to see where Rodgers is coming from. 

Burris, whom the Jets drafted in the fourth round last year, was tremendous throughout the June workouts. He earned first-team reps in the nickel package, and looked very much like he belonged. He made a handful of impressive pass breakups, and nearly came away with a couple interceptions. 

Heading into his second season, Burris seems much more comfortable than he did as a rookie. Which is an awfully good thing. If he's able to fine-tune some minor technical flaws, he has the potential to be a pretty good cornerback. Something the Jets could use. 

Last season, the Jets had one of the league's worst secondaries. They allowed 52 pass plays of 20-plus yards (14th most in NFL) and 13 of 40-plus (3rd most). They allowed 30 passing touchdowns (6th most) and intercepted just eight passes (second fewest). 

Burris is a physical, big (6-1, 206 pounds) press-man corner. Todd Bowles has a need for them on his defense, and there's a spot open opposite free-agent acquisition Morris Claiborne

Who else stood out during the Jets three-day minicamp? Here are the three stars, including Burris. 

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ever the over-rated, self-promoting douchebag, there was this gem from Boomer Esiason:

IMG_0473.JPG

I still recall that poster which was for his charity and him promoting it on MSG's Jets Journal back in the day.

This was the same OLine that got him concussed and nearly killed by Bruce Smith. The "Road Grater" White was pretty good, and blossomed with the Rams in FA, but the rest were mediocre at best. 

Nice Find sir.  

Archived