Your 2017-2018 New York Knicks Thread--The Unicorn & the French Prince!!!!!

SMC

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Welp there goes that. Fun to hope for Another 2-3 years of losing.

They were losing. Be interesting if Dolan demands a Dolan type move to compensate for the only big name he had from a box office standpoint. He's probably pissed they let Melo go.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They were losing. Be interesting if Dolan demands a Dolan type move to compensate for the only big name he had from a box office standpoint. He's probably pissed they let Melo go.

I know but it was still a different way to watch the games. I was actively rooting for them and to see progress.now it's back to just wanting a dumpster fire and the best lottery pick possible 

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I really think these are the best adjectives for it too. ACL injuries are kinda still a quasi-death knell. It seems like the only guys who really ever fully recover from it are the ones who tear it in college and recover before hitting the pros (i.e. Lowry, Baron). How many pros have torn it and then fully recovered to what they were? I think Crawford is the only one. And Porzingis is such a genetic anomaly with that body, there's no way to know when or how well he'll recover from this, and you have to think with a guy his size and the physical demands of NBA seasons...IMO they need to plan as though he'll never be the same.

The bigger issue is that he's such a physical anomaly at his size and dimensions that it's hard to imagine injuries won't plague him his whole career even if he recovers from this pretty well. He probably won't be 100% the same but he probably won't be a shell of himself like say Derrick Rose either -- my fear is that he'll re-injure it multiple times... 

The only silver lining here is that KP was pushing the Knicks to be buyers at the deadline in a quest to make the playoffs. Now they can comfortably tank, a top five pick can still be had.

15 hours ago, HessStation said:

I know but it was still a different way to watch the games. I was actively rooting for them and to see progress.now it's back to just wanting a dumpster fire and the best lottery pick possible 

Everything would have been easier if they had just tanked properly 3 years ago and drafted Towns.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The bigger issue is that he's such a physical anomaly at his size and dimensions that it's hard to imagine injuries won't plague him his whole career even if he recovers from this pretty well. He probably won't be 100% the same but he probably won't be a shell of himself like say Derrick Rose either -- my fear is that he'll re-injure it multiple times... 

The only silver lining here is that KP was pushing the Knicks to be buyers at the deadline in a quest to make the playoffs. Now they can comfortably tank, a top five pick can still be had.

It would be a serious silver lining if the Knicks got a top 4-5 pick out of this. The top half of the upcoming lottery is stacked. 

22 hours ago, JiF said:

This was my thought as well...why move him on the heels of KP going out and for what?  2nd round picks? Strange.

Willy is a dinosaur in today's NBA.  He's a classic C who doesn't play defense and doesn't shoot 3s.  No one values that.  Getting 2 2nd rounders is a good move.  Also, don't overlook the fact that Kornet is being promoted from G-League.  He's younger than Willy, plays C, but also can shoot 3s.

Matt is talking this Mills nonsense.  Perry is making these moves.

22 hours ago, Matt39 said:

My guess with Mills back in the saddle we'll see guys brought in similar to the Isiah days where we overvalue guys who shoot alot ala Michael Beasley. This was a perfect opportunity to get WHG more involved. Bizarre.

Perry is making these decisions.  Mills is your boogie man now? LOL

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Perry saying Willy's value wasn't as high as they thought. Gee, I wonder why. Might have something to do with Hornacek playing him for a total of 46 seconds the entire season.

Man, what a mess.

Had nothing to do with playing time.  Had to do with the fact of Willy's limitations.  His game doesn't fit into today's NBA.  Same with Okafor.

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I really think these are the best adjectives for it too. ACL injuries are kinda still a quasi-death knell. It seems like the only guys who really ever fully recover from it are the ones who tear it in college and recover before hitting the pros (i.e. Lowry, Baron). How many pros have torn it and then fully recovered to what they were? I think Crawford is the only one. And Porzingis is such a genetic anomaly with that body, there's no way to know when or how well he'll recover from this, and you have to think with a guy his size and the physical demands of NBA seasons...IMO they need to plan as though he'll never be the same.

A lot of the players who tore their ACLs in NBA were wigs who drove to the basket and were never able to recover because their game was so much reliant on athleticism.

KP is different than that. What I've read is that the Knicks hope to move KP to full time C when he comes back.  That will impact how he plays in the future.  If he can overcome the undersized defender in the post, he'll be able to reach his peak and not have the ACL impact him.

39 minutes ago, SMC said:

A lot of the players who tore their ACLs in NBA were wigs who drove to the basket and were never able to recover because their game was so much reliant on athleticism.

KP is different than that. What I've read is that the Knicks hope to move KP to full time C when he comes back.  That will impact how he plays in the future.  If he can overcome the undersized defender in the post, he'll be able to reach his peak and not have the ACL impact him.

I was listening to an orthopedic surgeon on the radio this morning that said KP's knee is going to be much longer than the normal and may never be the same strictly due to his size.  It made me nervous. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I was listening to an orthopedic surgeon on the radio this morning that said KP's knee is going to be much longer than the normal and may never be the same strictly due to his size.  It made me nervous. 

It's absolutely a concern, but KP is not a penetrating wing that relies on explosiveness.  KP's athleticism isn't in his legs, it's in his hips and hand-eye-coordination.

KP has the benefit that he can literally sit out the entire 2018-19 season to fully recover and Knicks would still have him under contract.

3 hours ago, SMC said:

Why do you continue to insist that good things will happen?

On 2/8/2018 at 2:09 PM, JiF said:

Patrick Ewing had horrific knees and played forever.  KP has similar style of play he’ll be fine but he won’t back til next January 

On 2/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Perry saying Willy's value wasn't as high as they thought. Gee, I wonder why. Might have something to do with Hornacek playing him for a total of 46 seconds the entire season.

Man, what a mess.

Stupid trade.  

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Patrick Ewing had horrific knees and played forever.  KP has similar style of play he’ll be fine but he won’t back til next January 

:blink:

How are they similar? Ewing was ALL ABOUT the Post-Up and playing strong within the Box w/a sweet base-line mid-range jumper to boot. 

KP can run the fast break like '84 Georgetown Ewing, but his game is NOTHING like the 90's Ewing's NBA style of play. KP settles for 3s and long jumpers. He has absolutely NO POST game whatsoever. There is NO POWER in his game and is a 7' SF with a predilection to shoot rather than bang with the big boys. He has the frame and quickness to be the next Olajuwon with grace and length; he's NO Patrick Ewing. I like KP, but unless he develops a post game, the NBA has figured him out and that's probably why his #s went down after the first 20 games. 

TO have Ewing's NBA/Knick's Prime style of play, KP needs WAAAAAY more strength and In-the-Box aggressiveness. 

I see KP and ask:

206_img_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

How are they similar? Ewing was ALL ABOUT the Post-Up and playing strong within the Box w/a sweet base-line mid-range jumper to boot. 

KP can run the fast break like '84 Georgetown Ewing, but his game is NOTHING like the 90's Ewing's NBA style of play. KP settles for 3s and long jumpers. He has absolutely NO POST game whatsoever. There is NO POWER in his game and is a 7' SF with a predilection to shoot rather than bang with the big boys. He has the frame and quickness to be the next Olajuwon with grace and length; he's NO Patrick Ewing. I like KP, but unless he develops a post game, the NBA has figured him out and that's probably why his #s went down after the first 20 games. 

TO have Ewing's NBA/Knick's Prime style of play, KP needs WAAAAAY more strength and In-the-Box aggressiveness. 

I see KP and ask:

206_img_1.jpg

Porzingis is Shawn Bradley with a green light and entitlement issues. 

23 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I see KP and ask:

206_img_1.jpg

Cool i guess you missed the 10-15 shots from the perimeter Ewing used to take every night in every game in the 90’s.  All Ewing did his last 5 years on the Knicks was that turnaround jumper. You act like all he did was post up like Shaq

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Cool i guess you missed the 10-15 shots from the perimeter Ewing used to take every night in every game in the 90’s.  You act like all he did was post up like Shaq

He DID, up until like 1996, then all he did was settle for that drop step fade away J or the 4 step jump hook across the foul line after that. Ewing became a jump shot Center after '96 since his knees and ankles were SHOT and he practically had NO jumping/launching ability. It's sad really. 

19 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

He DID, up until like 1996, then all he did was settle for that drop step fade away J or the 4 step jump hook across the foul line after that. Ewing became a jump shot Center after '96 since his knees and ankles were SHOT and he practically had NO jumping/launching ability. It's sad really. 

And like I already said Ewing still had a very long career despite having terrible knee problems because he was a good perimeter shooter.  KP takes 3’s which Ewing didn’t  but most of the time he’s shooting from about 6-10 feet out just like Ewing did

Only thing that concerns me long term is Ewing was much more mentally tougher than KP

So the big rumor this weekend is that the Hornacek/Noah feud started over Hornacek shoving Noah amidst an argument over playing time. On the one hand, everyone is getting on Hornacek for essentially assaulting a player, but the reality is people don't just go around shoving other people, and Noah is 100% the type of dude that would get in someone's face during a moment of anger and not expect repercussions. Hornacek isn't a tiny dude and never was the type of player that took sh*t from people. Though, if memory serves correctly Jerry Stackhouse beat the piss out of him on the court once.

On the other hand, Hornacek had locker room problems in Phoenix as well.

Man, this season turned into a big pile of doo doo.

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So the big rumor this weekend is that the Hornacek/Noah feud started over Hornacek shoving Noah amidst an argument over playing time. On the one hand, everyone is getting on Hornacek for essentially assaulting a player, but the reality is people don't just go around shoving other people, and Noah is 100% the type of dude that would get in someone's face during a moment of anger and not expect repercussions. Hornacek isn't a tiny dude and never was the type of player that took sh*t from people. Though, if memory serves correctly Jerry Stackhouse beat the piss out of him on the court once.

On the other hand, Hornacek had locker room problems in Phoenix as well.

Man, this season turned into a big pile of doo doo.

Hornacek is gone after this season.  Not only does the team stink he plays Jarret Jack 30 minutes per night and Hardaway 38 minutes per night even when he can’t put the ball in the ocean while Ntilikina, Mudiay, Dotson and Burke gather dust on the bench

If the Knicks lost every single game rest of the season but at least played the young players I’d say give him one more shot but this is inexcusable 

Archived