SMC

Your 2017-2018 New York Knicks Thread--The Unicorn & the French Prince!!!!!

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, SMC said:

1) Iman Shumpert wasn't a lottery pic

2) Iman Shumpert didn't pan out because he wanted to be a celebrity and rapper rather than a great NBA player

All NBA players are talented and injury is the wild card, so work ethic/desire to be great is usually the critical factor in player success.  Shumpert got hurt and didn't want to put the work in.

I love it. All our draft picks are destined for suckage because of Iman Shumpert.  Someone forgot to tell Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green they were supposed to suck because Joe Smith did

4 hours ago, SMC said:

1) Iman Shumpert wasn't a lottery pic

2) Iman Shumpert didn't pan out because he wanted to be a celebrity and rapper rather than a great NBA player

All NBA players are talented and injury is the wild card, so work ethic/desire to be great is usually the critical factor in player success.  Shumpert got hurt and didn't want to put the work in.

Reality of the draft is that even in a deep class anything after the top 2-3 guys is a complete crapshoot. If you find a dude that can stick around the league as a part-time starter and decent bench player, even for just a couple years, in the late teens that's incredible.

ESPN has a lot of people believing that the first round of the NBA draft is something like the first round for the NFL and that could not be further from the truth. If you're not picking at the top the best you can hope for is a guy that can contribute on the cheap for 3-4 years. Anything else is dumb luck.

The only dude that seems to have a handle on finding guys consistently after the top 10 is Popovich and I'm sure he uses analytics, but I don't think he uses anything more than his intuition.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Reality of the draft is that even in a deep class anything after the top 2-3 guys is a complete crapshoot. If you find a dude that can stick around the league as a part-time starter and decent bench player, even for just a couple years, in the late teens that's incredible.

ESPN has a lot of people believing that the first round of the NBA draft is something like the first round for the NFL and that could not be further from the truth. If you're not picking at the top the best you can hope for is a guy that can contribute on the cheap for 3-4 years. Anything else is dumb luck.

The only dude that seems to have a handle on finding guys consistently after the top 10 is Popovich and I'm sure he uses analytics, but I don't think he uses anything more than his intuition.

That’s the conventional thinking but last year’s draft was really good and this year’s also looks loaded even second round picks like Robinson and Watanabe have looked good in summer league

The one and done rule is making it difficult for talent evaluators to get a really good gauge on who is going to be good plus some players who stay in college longer are more nba-ready as rookies because their bodies are more developed