Jamal Adams is mic'd up

Maxman

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Nothing you just typed has anything to do with what I posted nor did it touch on the point.  I'm not talking about Adams's draft position.  I'm strictly talking about his performance up until now and disputing a ridiculous post.

"Pretty well" wasn't supposed to be a negative.  When you watch the film and watch the individual, outside of one game, Adams has been as advertised.  He, like every other rookie, has a ton of room to grow but he's shown flashes of great potential.  That's what you want to see in a rookie.  Leonard Williams didn't rip the league to shreds his first year but has grown into a great player.  There's no reason to believe that Adam's can't make the same jump and blaming him for the entire passing defense sucking is absolutely stupid.  

I consider myself one of the most vocal guys here when it comes to criticizing players and personnel, front office included, this season.  Players like Jamal Adams aren't the problem with this team, especially when they're only 13 games into their career.  

Jamal Adams is EXACTLY the problem with this team.  No, not Adams himself.  He's a nice player.  But the fact that we would take a Jamal Adams at 6th overall when we have zero elite players on the roster, and zero impact players at "premium positions".  

This isn't the first time we took a Jamal Adams, either.  Leonard Williams was a Jamal Adams.  Darron Lee was a Jamal Adams.  Jamal Adams everywhere!  We have used every first round pick in this tenure on "nice" players who don't really make a large impact on the game.

That's why people rip on Adams.  Because they're really not ripping on him, they're ripping on the franchise.  Adams should have been a nice player for another franchise.  Just like Williams and Lee should have been nice players for other franchises.  In their place, we needed at LEAST one of the following:  QB, LT, EDGE Rusher (or 2).  Vic Beasley, for instance, would have fit the bill very nicely instead of Williams.  

Or, we needed to find those guys somewhere else in the draft.  But because we did NOT, we're left with a team of "nice" players spinning their wheels until we find a QB, franchise LT and EDGE Rusher (or 2).  

Make sense?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jamal Adams is EXACTLY the problem with this team.  No, not Adams himself.  He's a nice player.  But the fact that we would take a Jamal Adams at 6th overall when we have zero elite players on the roster, and zero impact players at "premium positions".  

This isn't the first time we took a Jamal Adams, either.  Leonard Williams was a Jamal Adams.  Darron Lee was a Jamal Adams.  Jamal Adams everywhere!  We have used every first round pick in this tenure on "nice" players who don't really make a large impact on the game.

That's why people rip on Adams.  Because they're really not ripping on him, they're ripping on the franchise.  Adams should have been a nice player for another franchise.  Just like Williams and Lee should have been nice players for other franchises.  In their place, we needed at LEAST one of the following:  QB, LT, EDGE Rusher (or 2).  Vic Beasley, for instance, would have fit the bill very nicely instead of Williams.  

Or, we needed to find those guys somewhere else in the draft.  But because we did NOT, we're left with a team of "nice" players spinning their wheels until we find a QB, franchise LT and EDGE Rusher (or 2).  

Make sense?

you know what.  i think a lot of the issue are coaching, not talent.  i watched tyreke hill burn the jets secondary where they didn't put either of their safeties back to help a scrub cb who couldn't have a chance to stop him.  the defensive coaching in this regime is awful, and the result will be that mccags will think he can eke out another season with mccown and draft an olb and cb and then the defense will be fixed, finally.  but then bowles and rodgers screw it all up.  if you put adams on other teams he would flash a lot more.

10 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

you know what.  i think a lot of the issue are coaching, not talent.  i watched tyreke hill burn the jets secondary where they didn't put either of their safeties back to help a scrub cb who couldn't have a chance to stop him.  the defensive coaching in this regime is awful, and the result will be that mccags will think he can eke out another season with mccown and draft an olb and cb and then the defense will be fixed, finally.  but then bowles and rodgers screw it all up.  if you put adams on other teams he would flash a lot more.

How many early picks do we need to make on defense before it gets "fixed"?

It's a talent problem, dude.  Coaching is a problem too, but not as big of a problem.  You need your best defensive players to be at premium positions.  Our best defensive players are a DT and 2 safeties.  That isn't sustainable.  

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:18 AM, Mogglez said:

Nothing you just typed has anything to do with what I posted nor did it touch on the point.  I'm not talking about Adams's draft position.  I'm strictly talking about his performance up until now and disputing a ridiculous post.

"Pretty well" wasn't supposed to be a negative.  When you watch the film and watch the individual, outside of one game, Adams has been as advertised.  He, like every other rookie, has a ton of room to grow but he's shown flashes of great potential.  That's what you want to see in a rookie.  Leonard Williams didn't rip the league to shreds his first year but has grown into a great player.  There's no reason to believe that Adam's can't make the same jump and blaming him for the entire passing defense sucking is absolutely stupid.  

I consider myself one of the most vocal guys here when it comes to criticizing players and personnel, front office included, this season.  Players like Jamal Adams aren't the problem with this team, especially when they're only 13 games into their career.  

I'm with 80, Adams is exactly the problem with this team for all the reasons he's stated and then some when you consider his mouth is 1000x better than his game.  You'd think Adams actually make plays the way he runs his mouth and showboats between every single play.   Passion is great but being good at Football is better.  Leadership qualities are great but when you're a showboat big mouth who doesn't make plays, that leadership means jack sh*t. 

I was as happy as anyone that we landed Leo.  Leo is a nice player.  He's not ripping the league to shreds.  Far from it.  We thought Williams was going to be an All-Pro type talent. He's not and he never will be but he's a nice player.  When you take a SS at #6, you're supposed to have an All-Pro type talent.  Adams will never sniff a Pro-Bowl level let alone All-Pro.  He's as Jagy as Jag's get.  Maye is considerably better.  Same thing can be said about Lee.  He's nowhere near as good as his peers at the position and most of those dudes were taken in the 2nd round and in most cases, even later. 

And there is the problem with the Jets.  Prioritizing non-premium positions in the 1st round and getting JAG's out of it in the process.  These are players that good teams find in the 2nd and 3rd round.  These are positions, that good team don't prioritize and the teams that are properly rebuilding, don't select till the 2nd and 3rd round.  

This, they're only a rookie stuff is a thing of the past.  You can see it early nowadays.  The learning curve isn't nearly as long. Rookies make enormous impacts all over the league but guess what team you never see that with?  The Jets.   

I don't think Williams or Adams are necessarily JAGs.  However, Williams + JAG OLB is worse than Beasley + JAG 3-4DE and Adams + JAG CB < CB + JAG S.  Does anybody remember such a problem at safety when we had stars like the Landrys or Yeremiah Bell?  If there was one, it was lack of speed on the back end.  Adams certainly did not solve that. 

Williams + Bass < Douzable + Beasley

Adams + Burris < Bouye + Swearinger

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm with 80, Adams is exactly the problem with this team for all the reasons he's stated and then some when you consider his mouth is 1000x better than his game.  You'd think Adams actually make plays the way he runs his mouth and showboats between every single play.   Passion is great but being good at Football is better.  Leadership qualities are great but when you're a showboat big mouth who doesn't make plays, that leadership means jack sh*t. 

I was as happy as anyone that we landed Leo.  Leo is a nice player.  He's not ripping the league to shreds.  Far from it.  We thought Williams was going to be an All-Pro type talent. He's not and he never will be but he's a nice player.  When you take a SS at #6, you're supposed to have an All-Pro type talent.  Adams will never sniff a Pro-Bowl level let alone All-Pro.  He's as Jagy as Jag's get.  Maye is considerably better.  Same thing can be said about Lee.  He's nowhere near as good as his peers at the position and most of those dudes were taken in the 2nd round and in most cases, even later. 

And there is the problem with the Jets.  Prioritizing non-premium positions in the 1st round and getting JAG's out of it in the process.  These are players that good teams find in the 2nd and 3rd round.  These are positions, that good team don't prioritize and the teams that are properly rebuilding, don't select till the 2nd and 3rd round.  

This, they're only a rookie stuff is a thing of the past.  You can see it early nowadays.  The learning curve isn't nearly as long. Rookies make enormous impacts all over the league but guess what team you never see that with?  The Jets.   

Yep.  I love how the same people who praised the Lee and Adams picks are talking about all the holes we have on the defense and how Macc needs to fix them in the next draft or 2. 

When you take defense every year in the 1st round, you shouldn't have holes.  But because we're taking the WRONG types of defensive players, consistently, we have holes all over the place. 

The jets needed to find good football players and continue to build with them. I don’t know why people continue to think that any individual is supposed to turn an entire team around. Let them build out the damn roster.   

What if the jets find that pass rusher we’ve needed this next year or maybe in 2 years. And allows both safeties to actually jump passes. Or if they finally find a QB and put together an offense that allows the defense to constantly play with a lead? 

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Make sense?

But that’s not Adams fault so don’t rip on the kid personally 

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Beningo and Roberts praising Adams on the radio for being a leader

Oh?  Did they give specifics on what the **** he's leading and who the **** is following and how this means jack sh*t in the grand scheme of things?  Because the Defense sucks and their passing D is atrocious.  

Or do you just love to listen to morons and quote them for the **** of it as if they're opinion means something?

35 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Beningo and Roberts praising Adams on the radio for being a leader

How many wins are Beningo and Roberts opinions on leadership worth in a typical NFL season?

BTW, if Joe Beningo is the type of guy with an opinion you value because he "knows more than you or me" you are way off.  "Joe from Saddle River" is just a dude with too much time on his hands that called the station until they gave him a job.  It is entertainment (of a sort) and certainly not based on his knowledge. 

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh?  Did they give specifics on what the **** he's leading and who the **** is following and how this means jack sh*t in the grand scheme of things?  Because the Defense sucks and their passing D is atrocious.  

Or do you just love to listen to morons and quote them for the **** of it as if they're opinion means something?

Yes, one player is the entire reason a defense fails or succeeds. Cmon.

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

You ever listen to talk radio, either sports or politics?  You know that feeling of anger you get, and you wonder who the idiots are that actually consume this nonsense?  Who is the audience?  Well, you found one of them.

On 12/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, Mogglez said:

Adams, in coverage gave up zero catches for 0 yards and was almost exclusively on Kelce.  There are 10 other players on Defense.  All I care about when evaluating an individual is their performance. 

He's a rookie.

He's been fine.

Only thing I will definitely agree with is that I'd like to see him force more turnovers.

Maybe we ought to expect more than "fine" out of a rookie who was drafted at 6 as was the "2nd best player in the draft?"

The real problem for me is that he's not flashing much of anything.  It's just my opinion, but the "he's a rookie" excuse, has always been more about consistency and mental mistakes than anything else.  What we're seeing from Adams is kind of just flat "he's been fine."  I'd be much happier if he got beat for a bunch more TDs but also showed some great moments.  Instead, we got 'meh' through and through.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

This is literally the saddest post I've ever read here...

59 minutes ago, JiF said:

It means something only because there's is the opinion that people are hearing.

Just like with the expectations, it sets the narrative

3 hours ago, JiF said:

While I see your point, coming off of John Idzik's drafting prowess, it's nice to draft nice players.

Maybe this ties in with accepting mediocrity. But TBH, I would rather be mediocre than the Browns.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

While I see your point, coming off of John Idzik's drafting prowess, it's nice to draft nice players.

Maybe this ties in with accepting mediocrity. But TBH, I would rather be mediocre than the Browns.

You're not helping.

I think everyone's issue with Adams and Macc is that Macc decided to take safe high floor players in round 1 over swinging to hit a HR. Given how piss poor our drafting was under Rex I'm kind of okay with getting players that at least should be on the team longer than their rookie contract.

Is that because mediocrity has become an acceptable standard, maybe. I think it's more failure has been so consistent with this franchise that positive steps, while being smaller steps, are still a good sign. But I'm an optimist so f*ck me right?

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I think everyone's issue with Adams and Macc is that Macc decided to take safe high floor players in round 1 over swinging to hit a HR. Given how piss poor our drafting was under Rex I'm kind of okay with getting players that at least should be on the team longer than their rookie contract.

Is that because mediocrity has become an acceptable standard, maybe. I think it's more failure has been so consistent with this franchise that positive steps, while being smaller steps, are still a good sign. But I'm an optimist so f*ck me right?

That's exactly my thinking. When you have failed in the draft for so long, you will take anything you can get. IDGAC that it isnt at a prime position, Just draft good players

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

The problem is that our "safe, high floor" players, haven't even shown that the floor is that high.

I don't know why anybody wants rookies that have to "develop" and guys that will be here beyond their rookie contract.  You know what guys are when their rookie contract ends?  Free agents.  You can sign as many as you like.  Rookie contracts are your bread and butter and how you have an inexpensive team that can afford to fill holes in free agency.  

Archived