Mock Offseason

maury77

A lot of the mocks I am reading have us signing Cousins or trading up in the draft. I am going to change things up a little bit. 

CUTS

Mo - Obvious
Skrine - I think Skrine gets cut only after FA starts and the Jets sign another starting CB
Ijalana - Obvious
Forte - Obvious
Kearse - Kearse is pretty good for his pay, but I am cutting him after the Jets sign another WR in FA so that the team has more cap space. 
Devin Smith - Obvious
Hackenberg - No room for him on the roster

Total cap space - 105 million

Resigning

Enunwa  (1st round tender) 4 million
ASJ - Rumors are that the Jets are at 4 million and he wants 6. I gave him 5 million per for 2 years
Claiborne - 6 million per year for 2 years. He’s ok, but we don’t have anything else at the position. 
Demario Davis - 5.5 million per year for 2 years. I can’t see him getting much more than that on the open market. 

Remaining cap space - 84.5 million

FA - I have Cousins either re-signing in Washington or going to Jacksonville. McCown retires. 

Teddy Bridgewater (1 year for 8 million dollars) - This seems to be in line with what Jason @ over the cap believes Bridgewater will sign for. Jets are not going to go into the draft with just Petty and Hack at QB. Without Cousins or Brees as options, I’d rather take a ride with Bridgewater. He is still only 25, was decent when healthy, and had a nice pedigree coming out of college. I think TB was a bad fit with Norv Turner’s downfield passing game and Morton’s more WC oriented scheme fits well with TB’s strengths. 

Ryan Jensen (C from Baltimore) (3 years at 4 million per year) - Only 26 years old, Jensen is a solid (but unspectacular) center. His addition will hopefully allow Carpenter and Winter to start playing better after a season of covering up for the sh*tastic Wesley Johnson

Allen Robinson (WR from Jacksonville) (3 years at 14 million per year) - Davante Adams blew up the WR market. Robinson, coming off an ACL tear, is not going to surpass Antonio Brown’s contract, but the former is a top 10 WR when healthy. 

Kyle Fuller  (CB from Chicago) (3 years at 11 million per) - Late bloomer former 1st round pick who finally started playing to his pedigree. At 6 feet tall, he fits Bowles type of CB. 

Alex Okafor (DE from New Orleans) (2 years at 5.5 million per) Okafor was having a good season with NO (PFF had him rated at 84.7), but he suffered an achillees injury in November. Okafor played with Bowles when both were in Arizona. Okafor adds an edge rusher, which the defense sorely needs. 

Mock Draft - Again, nightmare scenario. Jets can’t trade up, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Barkley and Chubb go ahead of the Jets. 

Round 1 - Arden Key (edge rusher from LSU) - Key reminds me a lot of the good version of Aldon Smith. He is a very long, aggressive and athletic edge rusher. Give him one season working with Kevin Greene and Key is going to be a double digit sack artist. 

Jets trade up from round 2 with Detroit at pick 20.

Round 1, pick 20 - Lamar Jackson (QB from Louisville)  - a lot of people are going to write this mock off at this stage, but I’m a Jackson fan. If he starts to drop, Maccagnan makes an aggressive move and picks Jackson before Buffalo can. 

Round 2 (Seattle Pick) - Kolton Miller (LT from UCLA) - somewhat overlook prospect who is tall (6’8”) and athletic. Competes with Brandon Shell in year 1 and takes over for Beachum in year 2. 

Round 3 - Rashaard Penny (RB from San Diego State) - had a 2k yard season. Well rounded back who has a little Thomas Jones to his game

Round 4 - Nick Nelson (CB from Wisconsin) - nice sized CB prospect who is a good special teams player

A couple of thoughts.

I don't think you can get rid of Kearse unless you know for certain that Enunwa is healthy next season.  Kearse's $5MM salary next season is not guaranteed, so there is nothing to lose by keeping him on the roster through training camp and making a decision on cutdown day in September.  No need to cut him loose without first seeing what Enunwa can do coming back from the surgery.  If Q is not ready to go, then I want Kearse on my roster.

Not quite sure what to make of Lamar Jackson.  Watched a couple of his game tapes this week, and he has huge upside, but is so inconsistent.  When he plants his feet and establishes a solid base, he can make great throws from the pocket, but there are times his footwork is off and the accuracy goes with it.  I also think he is a bit too much of a run first QB -- that will need to change in NFL.  I guess if the draft and FA fell the way you have them laid out -- which would be typical Jets luck, I could live with Lamar, at least he would give us something to root for, but the bust potential is there.

I would love to sign Robinson, Jensen, Fuller.  Not as big on Bridgewater -- he is damaged goods and the injury history worries me, but if we can get him on a one-year deal, not much risk to the move.  Bridge and Lamar would make 2 high risk, high ceiling QBs.  Hopefully we would get lucky with one of them. 

As to the draft, I think I would rather go Conor Williams than Arden Key.  Time to go offense in the first.  Don't know a whole lot about Kolton Miller, but if I am taking Williams in the first, then I am probably going a different direction in the second.

On January 13, 2018 at 6:32 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

I stopped reading after Kearse was cut

He's not worth $5M as a possession WR in a WCO and can be cut with $ZERO$ cap hit. It's a clean $5M off the books. I like him as a veteran for the locker room, but he's nothing special & EXACTLY what we expected as a throw-in from the Shelly trade: a vet WR off the scrap heap who can contribute. He was a necessity b/c Enunwa was gone. I think the FO likes Enunwa, will give him a decent $1.6M tender and #81 will be that veteran WR in '19 that Kearse was in '18 but for a FRACTION of the price but with more big-play potential and younger (but also possibly not the same player pre-injury.).

It makes more sense to cut Kearse than it does our SOLID LG Carpenter from our anemic OLine, like I've seen other MOCK off seasons prefer to do.:blink:

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Stopped reading once I read the words Teddy Bridgewater 1 year $8 million

Bridgewater is IDEAL for Morton's WCO. I would POUNCE on Bridgewater if he were available. He's playing on a God given 2nd chance and will PLAY HIS LIFE & @$$ OFF EVERY PLAY he's on the field. I truly believe that. He's a movie waiting to happen. 

A lot of the mocks I am reading have us signing Cousins or trading up in the draft. I am going to change things up a little bit.    CUTS   Mo - Obvious Skrine - I think Skrine gets cut only after FA starts and the Jets sign another starting CB Ijalana - Obvious Forte - Obvious Kearse - Kearse is pretty good for his pay, but I am cutting him after the Jets sign another WR in FA so that the team has more cap space.  Devin Smith - Obvious Hackenberg - No room for him on the roster   Total cap space - 105 million   Resigning   Enunwa  (1st round tender) 4 million ASJ - Rumors are that the Jets are at 4 million and he wants 6. I gave him 5 million per for 2 years Claiborne - 6 million per year for 2 years. He’s ok, but we don’t have anything else at the position.  Demario Davis - 5.5 million per year for 2 years. I can’t see him getting much more than that on the open market.    Remaining cap space - 84.5 million   FA - I have Cousins either re-signing in Washington or going to Jacksonville. McCown retires.    Teddy Bridgewater (1 year for 8 million dollars) - This seems to be in line with what Jason @ over the cap believes Bridgewater will sign for. Jets are not going to go into the draft with just Petty and Hack at QB. Without Cousins or Brees as options, I’d rather take a ride with Bridgewater. He is still only 25, was decent when healthy, and had a nice pedigree coming out of college. I think TB was a bad fit with Norv Turner’s downfield passing game and Morton’s more WC oriented scheme fits well with TB’s strengths.    Ryan Jensen (C from Baltimore) (3 years at 4 million per year) - Only 26 years old, Jensen is a solid (but unspectacular) center. His addition will hopefully allow Carpenter and Winter to start playing better after a season of covering up for the sh*tastic Wesley Johnson   Allen Robinson (WR from Jacksonville) (3 years at 14 million per year) - Davante Adams blew up the WR market. Robinson, coming off an ACL tear, is not going to surpass Antonio Brown’s contract, but the former is a top 10 WR when healthy.    Kyle Fuller  (CB from Chicago) (3 years at 11 million per) - Late bloomer former 1st round pick who finally started playing to his pedigree. At 6 feet tall, he fits Bowles type of CB.    Alex Okafor (DE from New Orleans) (2 years at 5.5 million per) Okafor was having a good season with NO (PFF had him rated at 84.7), but he suffered an achillees injury in November. Okafor played with Bowles when both were in Arizona. Okafor adds an edge rusher, which the defense sorely needs.    Mock Draft - Again, nightmare scenario. Jets can’t trade up, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Barkley and Chubb go ahead of the Jets.    Round 1 - Arden Key (edge rusher from LSU) - Key reminds me a lot of the good version of Aldon Smith. He is a very long, aggressive and athletic edge rusher. Give him one season working with Kevin Greene and Key is going to be a double digit sack artist.    Jets trade up from round 2 with Detroit at pick 20.   Round 1, pick 20 - Lamar Jackson (QB from Louisville)  - a lot of people are going to write this mock off at this stage, but I’m a Jackson fan. If he starts to drop, Maccagnan makes an aggressive move and picks Jackson before Buffalo can.    Round 2 (Seattle Pick) - Kolton Miller (LT from UCLA) - somewhat overlook prospect who is tall (6’8”) and athletic. Competes with Brandon Shell in year 1 and takes over for Beachum in year 2.    Round 3 - Rashaard Penny (RB from San Diego State) - had a 2k yard season. Well rounded back who has a little Thomas Jones to his game   Round 4 - Nick Nelson (CB from Wisconsin) - nice sized CB prospect who is a good special teams player        

Please use bullet points

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

A lot of the mocks I am reading have us signing Cousins or trading up in the draft. I am going to change things up a little bit.    CUTS   Mo - Obvious Skrine - I think Skrine gets cut only after FA starts and the Jets sign another starting CB Ijalana - Obvious Forte - Obvious Kearse - Kearse is pretty good for his pay, but I am cutting him after the Jets sign another WR in FA so that the team has more cap space.  Devin Smith - Obvious Hackenberg - No room for him on the roster   Total cap space - 105 million   Resigning   Enunwa  (1st round tender) 4 million ASJ - Rumors are that the Jets are at 4 million and he wants 6. I gave him 5 million per for 2 years Claiborne - 6 million per year for 2 years. He’s ok, but we don’t have anything else at the position.  Demario Davis - 5.5 million per year for 2 years. I can’t see him getting much more than that on the open market.    Remaining cap space - 84.5 million   FA - I have Cousins either re-signing in Washington or going to Jacksonville. McCown retires.    Teddy Bridgewater (1 year for 8 million dollars) - This seems to be in line with what Jason @ over the cap believes Bridgewater will sign for. Jets are not going to go into the draft with just Petty and Hack at QB. Without Cousins or Brees as options, I’d rather take a ride with Bridgewater. He is still only 25, was decent when healthy, and had a nice pedigree coming out of college. I think TB was a bad fit with Norv Turner’s downfield passing game and Morton’s more WC oriented scheme fits well with TB’s strengths.    Ryan Jensen (C from Baltimore) (3 years at 4 million per year) - Only 26 years old, Jensen is a solid (but unspectacular) center. His addition will hopefully allow Carpenter and Winter to start playing better after a season of covering up for the sh*tastic Wesley Johnson   Allen Robinson (WR from Jacksonville) (3 years at 14 million per year) - Davante Adams blew up the WR market. Robinson, coming off an ACL tear, is not going to surpass Antonio Brown’s contract, but the former is a top 10 WR when healthy.    Kyle Fuller  (CB from Chicago) (3 years at 11 million per) - Late bloomer former 1st round pick who finally started playing to his pedigree. At 6 feet tall, he fits Bowles type of CB.    Alex Okafor (DE from New Orleans) (2 years at 5.5 million per) Okafor was having a good season with NO (PFF had him rated at 84.7), but he suffered an achillees injury in November. Okafor played with Bowles when both were in Arizona. Okafor adds an edge rusher, which the defense sorely needs.    Mock Draft - Again, nightmare scenario. Jets can’t trade up, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Barkley and Chubb go ahead of the Jets.    Round 1 - Arden Key (edge rusher from LSU) - Key reminds me a lot of the good version of Aldon Smith. He is a very long, aggressive and athletic edge rusher. Give him one season working with Kevin Greene and Key is going to be a double digit sack artist.    Jets trade up from round 2 with Detroit at pick 20.   Round 1, pick 20 - Lamar Jackson (QB from Louisville)  - a lot of people are going to write this mock off at this stage, but I’m a Jackson fan. If he starts to drop, Maccagnan makes an aggressive move and picks Jackson before Buffalo can.    Round 2 (Seattle Pick) - Kolton Miller (LT from UCLA) - somewhat overlook prospect who is tall (6’8”) and athletic. Competes with Brandon Shell in year 1 and takes over for Beachum in year 2.    Round 3 - Rashaard Penny (RB from San Diego State) - had a 2k yard season. Well rounded back who has a little Thomas Jones to his game   Round 4 - Nick Nelson (CB from Wisconsin) - nice sized CB prospect who is a good special teams player        

Please use bullet points

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 1/15/2018 at 1:50 AM, BrickTamland said:

Is Robinson really gonna get a deal in the teen millions without playing a game following his return from acl tear? I could totally see him signing for 6M to “prove himself” after injury, betting on himself to get that mega deal with a big year.

I don't know, but Adams just got 14 million per and Robinson was clearly a better receiver. 

On 1/15/2018 at 12:31 AM, Gas2No99 said:

He's not worth $5M as a possession WR in a WCO and can be cut with $ZERO$ cap hit. It's a clean $5M off the books. I like him as a veteran for the locker room, but he's nothing special & EXACTLY what we expected as a throw-in from the Shelly trade: a vet WR off the scrap heap who can contribute. He was a necessity b/c Enunwa was gone. I think the FO likes Enunwa, will give him a decent $1.6M tender and #81 will be that veteran WR in '19 that Kearse was in '18 but for a FRACTION of the price but with more big-play potential and younger (but also possibly not the same player pre-injury.).

It makes more sense to cut Kearse than it does our SOLID LG Carpenter from our anemic OLine, like I've seen other MOCK off seasons prefer to do.:blink:

Exactly. If you are lining up Robinson, Anderson and Enunwa, Kearse is a number 4. I'd rather take the cap relief and give Stewart or Hansen at the number 4 spot. 

On 1/14/2018 at 10:42 AM, Lith said:

A couple of thoughts.

I don't think you can get rid of Kearse unless you know for certain that Enunwa is healthy next season.  Kearse's $5MM salary next season is not guaranteed, so there is nothing to lose by keeping him on the roster through training camp and making a decision on cutdown day in September.  No need to cut him loose without first seeing what Enunwa can do coming back from the surgery.  If Q is not ready to go, then I want Kearse on my roster.

Not quite sure what to make of Lamar Jackson.  Watched a couple of his game tapes this week, and he has huge upside, but is so inconsistent.  When he plants his feet and establishes a solid base, he can make great throws from the pocket, but there are times his footwork is off and the accuracy goes with it.  I also think he is a bit too much of a run first QB -- that will need to change in NFL.  I guess if the draft and FA fell the way you have them laid out -- which would be typical Jets luck, I could live with Lamar, at least he would give us something to root for, but the bust potential is there.

I would love to sign Robinson, Jensen, Fuller.  Not as big on Bridgewater -- he is damaged goods and the injury history worries me, but if we can get him on a one-year deal, not much risk to the move.  Bridge and Lamar would make 2 high risk, high ceiling QBs.  Hopefully we would get lucky with one of them. 

As to the draft, I think I would rather go Conor Williams than Arden Key.  Time to go offense in the first.  Don't know a whole lot about Kolton Miller, but if I am taking Williams in the first, then I am probably going a different direction in the second.

I agree with Kearse. I didn't advocate cutting him in March. Sign Robinson, see how Enunwa is looking, then cut Kearse around June 1. 

However, if we don't get Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Cousins or McCown, what are we doing at QB? Selecting Allen at 5?????

Can’t say I’d be displeased. A lot of holes on the roster are filled here with quality players.

I personally think Bridgewater is damaged goods and I never thought he was anything to write home about before the injury. Textbook example of a gamemanager. But at 1 year for $8 mill I couldn’t really complain.

Jackson has some seriously elite physical tools. Could turn out to be what Vick should’ve been. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I agree with Kearse. I didn't advocate cutting him in March. Sign Robinson, see how Enunwa is looking, then cut Kearse around June 1. 

However, if we don't get Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Cousins or McCown, what are we doing at QB? Selecting Allen at 5?????

If the draft fell the way you have laid it out, then I probably go either Jackson or Allen.  If I had to choose today, I am taking Jackson.  I did not have an issue with your selection of Jackson.  Bridgewater scares me because of the injury he is coming back from.  Not sure what other veteran QBs will be out there.  Only thing I know for sure is I want a vet in his 20s -- nor more 35+ year old vets.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

If the draft fell the way you have laid it out, then I probably go either Jackson or Allen.  If I had to choose today, I am taking Jackson.  I did not have an issue with your selection of Jackson.  Bridgewater scares me because of the injury he is coming back from.  Not sure what other veteran QBs will be out there.  Only thing I know for sure is I want a vet in his 20s -- nor more 35+ year old vets.

It is slim pickings: https://overthecap.com/2018-free-agent-preview-quarterback

I don't want any part of Bradford or Keenum. There is a very real possibility that we don't grab Cousins or McCown. I just wanted to make the best of a bad situation. 

I'm going to do a best case scenario mock offseason next week. This one is a case of trying to make lemons out of lemonade. 

Archived