OG Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame

Untouchable

On 1/22/2018 at 8:17 PM, Dinamite said:

Remember the draft where  2 guards were thought of as can't miss and went in the top 10 I think? Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack.   Neither amounted to much unfortunately.   

The Redskins picked a guard with the 5th pick (before Leonard Williams).  He is good, but is he an all pro generational OL?

I like the emphasis on OL, it is just hard to justify the high pick on a guard.

Cooper was never considered elite or can't miss. Warmack was  highly hyped though. I would have taken him at 9 in place of the Richardson pick whatever year it was.

if they got Cousins I would be ok with Nelson at 6.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2018 at 7:55 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Very unlikely. He’ll be an all pro .. mark my words. With that said I would go with the LT McGlinchey Because our G’s aren’t great but they are decent. It’s a LT we are hurting for and Mitch McGlinchey is going to be a stud as well. Heavy hands at the point of attack, really stick DL’s back, good footwork and agile for his size .. has the ability to play RT at a high level but LT is his natural position. 

2017 PFF Ranking

Beachum 72.7

Carpenter 41.4

Winters 36.9

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A guard? No. If he were that great he’d be playing tackle anyways. Combine numbers should paint a better story. 

The combine is the combine unless he majorly ****s up or has a health problem he’s going top ten and he’s playing guard because it’s what he’s good at. Brick was a great tackle for us but would of sucked at guard. It’s a different position. 

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The combine is the combine unless he majorly ****s up or has a health problem he’s going top ten and he’s playing guard because it’s what he’s good at. Brick was a great tackle for us but would of sucked at guard. It’s a different position. 

Your best athletes play tackle. Martin was a tackle at ND. A lot of the top NFL guards are converted tackles. Certainly not worth it at 6 if he can’t play tackle either. Guard/center is the easiest position to fill outside of maybe kicker and safety. 

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Your best athletes play tackle. Martin was a tackle at ND. A lot of the top NFL guards are converted tackles. Certainly not worth it at 6 if he can’t play tackle either. Guard/center is the easiest position to fill outside of maybe kicker and safety. 

Tackles are more athletic because they play in open space blocking OLBs and DEs. You need a guard that can block DTs and huge NTs. Do you think Brick could of played G or C especially as good as someone like Mangold? 

When its 3rd and 1 or 2 you need a good interior line to push to get a first down. Nelson is a rare guard that’s worth a top 10 pick. If QB is addressed in FA and Barkley is gone you take him. As crusher reminded me we have 2 2nd round picks to address other needs. 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

To be fair Winters played like 2 games.

He played 13 games

But he was also stuck next to arguably the worst starting center in the league.

If the Jets added, say, Jensen and Nelson to the OL...the Jets would have one of the top units in the league.

Beachum is a respectable starting LT if he’s healthy and his full salary is guaranteed for 2018. He’s going to be our starting LT for at least another year. And frankly, if he remains healthy and continues playing at a competent level, I wouldn’t be in such a hurry to get rid of him. He’ll only be 29 next season. Could potentially be our starting LT for another 2-3 years at a reasonable salary.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He played 13 games

But he was also stuck next to arguably the worst starting center in the league.

If the Jets added, say, Jensen and Nelson to the OL...the Jets would have one of the top units in the league.

Beachum is a respectable starting LT if he’s healthy and his full salary is guaranteed for 2018. He’s going to be our starting LT for at least another year. And frankly, if he remains healthy and continues playing at a competent level, I wouldn’t be in such a hurry to get rid of him. He’ll only be 29 next season. Could potentially be our starting LT for another 2-3 years at a reasonable salary.

I really meant he played 2 games without his abdominal section nearly ripped apart lol. 

And truthfully I would be drafting a player project that can develop behind him such as Alex Kappa if we went that route.

i also would be okay with drafting Mitch McGlinchey if we were to get Kirk Cousins in FA .. i’d move Beachum to his more natural position at RT and have Shell take a year to step back and polish up.(though he played pretty decent)

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets had some of the worst guard play in the entire league last season. Carpenter is on the down slide and Winters is a JAG. If they fill needs at other positions in free agency, I’d have no problem taking a sure fire All Pro offensive lineman to plug and play the next 15 years. 

Leo williams and Jamal Adams are both sure fire 10 year pro bowlers as well picked at 6....

23 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I shouldn’t of said weak on RBs but I don’t think it’s as good as last year. After Barkley there’s no other back I’d want at 6 and Love will be gone by the 2nd pick after that you have JAGs IMO they put up good numbers but they had greats lines to run behind. 

Love announced last week that he is staying in school.  

I still like guys like Chubb/Michel/Jones as potential second rounders using the pick from Seattle.

Archived