OG Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame

Untouchable

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

The Jets need to follow the MoSCoW Method.

Must have: QB, OLB, CB

Should have: RB, WR, LT

Could have: C, DT, TE, G

Won't have: FS, SS, MLB

Can we find someone who can throw touchdowns, catch touchdowns, sack quarterbacks, and intercept passes before we start using our most valuable resource on the 10th or 11th most important position on offense?

So have they banned Defensive Ends from the game?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I like the idea of signing Cousins, and then protecting him with Jensen and Norwell. And shoot, if Chubb is gone, signing Nelson because hey, that sounds like a badass plan.

But that was before Bates. Isn’t he supposedly a zone blocking guy? Not sure if these heffers fit the new game plan. 

Yes he is a zone blocking guy.

I'm 10000% against picking a guard at six, but my god, look at this play that starts at 2 minutes and 15 seconds. This is one of the greatest plays I've ever seen on a football field. It reminds me of Derek Jeter's flip to home in the ALDS. Just unbelievable awareness and instincts to make a play like that. Really special.

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

I'm 10000% against picking a guard at six, but my god, look at this play that starts at 2 minutes and 15 seconds. This is one of the greatest plays I've ever seen on a football field. It reminds me of Derek Jeter's flip to home in the ALDS. Just unbelievable awareness and instincts to make a play like that. Really special.

I agree that he is special but man do I hate highlights.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Drafting a guard at 6 would be pretty par for the course with this ******* FO.

If the Jets have already signed Cousins and a top CB in free agency (which is very possible, if not probable) and the top passrusher (Chubb) and top offensive playmaker (Barkley) are off the board (again, probable)...who are you taking in that scenario?

Obviously the Jets wouldn’t draft a QB with around $70 million guaranteed just invested in Cousins...so would we rather have a hybrid CB/S like Fitzpatrick? A lesser passrusher prospect like Arden Key? 

Nelson should be a rock on the OL for the next 10-12 years. I’m not going to get caught up in the draft position. If he turns out to be an 8 time all-pro who consistently paves way for the running game and keeps our QB standing upright...no one will care where we drafted him.

17 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I like the idea of signing Cousins, and then protecting him with Jensen and Norwell. And shoot, if Chubb is gone, signing Nelson because hey, that sounds like a badass plan.

But that was before Bates. Isn’t he supposedly a zone blocking guy? Not sure if these heffers fit the new game plan. 

I’m mostly sure most offenses incorporate zone and man blocking plays for the OL. Jets will likely hire a running game coordinator for the OL as well. Most important is adding talent. 

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

An absolute beast of an OL that needs to be talked about more often around here. 

In all likelihood he’s going to end up going in that #5-8 range and will provide whichever team drafts him with a plug-and-play, all-pro LG right out of the gate.

If the Jets land Cousins in FA and assuming guys like Chubb and Barkley are off the board at #6, he might be at the top of my short list if he’s still available.

If we get Cousins we could still realistically land a Weston Richburg, Trumaine Johnson, AND one of the top WRs (Landry, Robinson, Watkins) while retaining guys like ASJ, Davis, Claiborne and Ealy.  If it plays out like that then drafting a Nelson is a no-brainer.  It's all going to depend on who we're able to sign through Free Agency.  If we're able to land Richburg and Jensen then I'm fine with Minkah Fitzpatrick at 6 or even a LT if we feel one merits being drafted at 6.

The offseason can play out a ton of different ways.  If we don't get one of the QBs then a QB at 6 becomes vital.  I'm interested in seeing which Free Agents the front office covet.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets have already signed Cousins and a top CB in free agency (which is very possible, if not probable) and the top passrusher (Chubb) and top offensive playmaker (Barkley) are off the board (again, probable)...who are you taking in that scenario?

Obviously the Jets wouldn’t draft a QB with around $70 million guaranteed just invested in Cousins...so would we rather have a hybrid CB/S like Fitzpatrick? A lesser passrusher prospect like Arden Key? 

Nelson should be a rock on the OL for the next 10-12 years. I’m not going to get caught up in the draft position. If he turns out to be an 8 time all-pro who consistently paves way for the running game and keeps our QB standing upright...no one will care where we drafted him.

If the Jets drafted a guard, that would make their last 3-1st round picks a MLB, a safety, and a guard. I will happily admit I don't know dick about pretty much everything, but I do know that's bad.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Assuming what you assume this is a GREAT pick IMO.

What good is getting a quality QB and not being able to protect him....

I agree.  I have to believe that fixing the Oline is atop their list with getting a Franchise QB on this team.  There are some solid FAs out there who we can plug in and be a major upgrade over what we have.  I'm hoping they go hard after Richburg and Jensen.  With Richburg being only a town over I hope that plays into his decision on where he eventually decides to sign.  I'd LOVE Norwell but something tells me the Panthers are going to retain him.  

If our Oline can look something resembling Beachum--Jensen--Richburg---Winters--Shell I'd be completely stoked about that especially if we draft a LT who can fight for the starting job.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If the Jets drafted a guard, that would make their last 3-1st round picks a MLB, a safety, and a guard. I will happily admit I don't know dick about pretty much everything, but I do know that's bad.

Oh it gets so much better if you widen the lens.  The last 5 1st round picks so far are S, ILB, DT, S, DT.  Adding an OG to that would be priceless.

41 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't care what anyone says.  Having a great OL automatically makes you a good team.  Any decent QB can pick a defense apart if he has time.  Any decent RB can look good running behind a dominant OL.  

I agree with this.  That's why I think revamping the Oline is vital.  An upgrade at the Center position is obvious but I'm even all for releasing Carpenter if that means we can upgrade that position with a Norwell, Jensen, or Nelson.  

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Mike Maccagnan has read the Big Short one too many times and now fancies himself as some contrarian genius. He sees today's NFL like Michael Burry and Steve Eismann saw the housing market in 2008, except the difference is that Mike Maccagnan is an idiot and those guys were not.

"Oh every team is piling all of their top draft picks and salary cap space into QBs, WRs, CBs, and OLBs?!?! I'll swim against the tide and invest all of my money and draft picks where NOBODY ELSE IS....I'll draft SS, FS, MLB, etc. because that's where the value is!"

Little does he know that he's paid way too much for assets that nobody else wants or would pay for. 

Guard at 6? hang on while i vomit. you want to talk about picking safeties early? guard is even less of a premium position. the good teams walk out of the 6th pick with an edge rusher, or a tackle, or a QB, maybe a generational RB...u do not walk out with guards.

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Guard at 6? hang on while i vomit. you want to talk about picking safeties early? guard is even less of a premium position. the good teams walk out of the 6th pick with an edge rusher, or a tackle, or a QB, maybe a generational RB...u do not walk out with guards.

So take a lesser player at a position that is deemed more important?

The top LT’s like McGlinchley and Williams aren’t nearly the players that Nelson is.

Arden Key is a decent passrushing OLB prospect but not in the same league as Chubb and is sort of boom or bust.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a corner/safety hybrid. Not in the same category as a Jalen Ramsey or Patrick Peterson.

And it’s a real longshot that Barkley falls to #6 with the Colts picking at #3 and the Browns picking at #4 with their second selection. Even the Broncos would be a threat to take him at #5 if they bring in a veteran QB.

Nelson is a dude that can come in and make an immediate impact right out of the gate and be the lynchpin of your OL for 10+ years. He’d be an awesome choice at #6 provided that the Jets sign Cousins in FA and Chubb/Barkley are off the board.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’d love for him to be on the Jets (especially since I’m a huge ND fan) he’s the best OL in the draft  but drafting a guard at 6th when you have so many other needs is a reach. 

If you land your QB in free agency then I think it’s a good get. If not then you have to get the QB. 

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't care what anyone says.  Having a great OL automatically makes you a good team.  Any decent QB can pick a defense apart if he has time.  Any decent RB can look good running behind a dominant OL.  

Unless you are a moron jets fan Who thinks you can have the very worst O in league and still do ok with decent qb ha

10 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

That's why picking 6th sucks. It puts us in no mans land with the top 5 prospects gone and left with guys that are good but are they top 6 good?! 

If you want these "premium" positions...then we're looking at Fitzpatrick, yet everyone cries over hearing "corner" being selected.

Not Todd Bowles. He is so glad we didn’t finish 3-13 and drafting 2nd. He knows that would have killed all hopes he had at yet another top D draft pick for 3rd yr in a row 

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

So take a lesser player at a position that is deemed more important?

The top LT’s like McGlinchley and Williams aren’t nearly the players that Nelson is.

Arden Key is a decent passrushing OLB prospect but not in the same league as Chubb and is sort of boom or bust.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a corner/safety hybrid. Not in the same category as a Jalen Ramsey or Patrick Peterson.

And it’s a real longshot that Barkley falls to #6 with the Colts picking at #3 and the Browns picking at #4 with their second selection. Even the Broncos would be a threat to take him at #5 if they bring in a veteran QB.

Nelson is a dude that can come in and make an immediate impact right out of the gate and be the lynchpin of your OL for 10+ years. He’d be an awesome choice at #6 provided that the Jets sign Cousins in FA and Chubb/Barkley are off the board.

Rb is not a premium pick selection. Same for DL, safety. That is why Williams and Adams both fell to jets even though they were top of BPA. Most gms don’t think like Mac. Definitely not saying that is a good thing for us ha. But most gms know rbs don’t last long, typically. They know they can get a very quality back and DL in 2nd and 3rd rounds. I see Barkley having a 50-50 chance falling in jets lap.

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

If you land your QB in free agency then I think it’s a good get. If not then you have to get the QB. 

If they pick up a QB in FA and Barkley is available at 6 then I’d take him. If he’s not and they took a FA QB then I can see them taking Nelson, Williams, Brown or McG. This years draft is weak on RBs, WRs and TEs so I’d draft on Barkley if he’s there. 

With the lousy picks we’ve made in the last couple years, Nelson would be a breath of fresh air. An undisputed rock solid stud that immediately transforms an inept OL. If and only if we go QB in free agency, this line of thinking would be ideal. Then get Price in rd 2, and best available tackle with the other 2nd. Sign a FA LT. All of a sudden you have a quality OL. This OL, as it stands, is pathetic. Time to invest in it and upgrade.  

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If they pick up a QB in FA and Barkley is available at 6 then I’d take him. If he’s not and they took a FA QB then I can see them taking Nelson, Williams, Brown or McG. This years draft is weak on RBs, WRs and TEs so I’d draft on Barkley if he’s there. 

Weak on RBs? I thought it was ok draft for running backs. I’m not a draft guy. 

32 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Weak on RBs? I thought it was ok draft for running backs. I’m not a draft guy. 

I shouldn’t of said weak on RBs but I don’t think it’s as good as last year. After Barkley there’s no other back I’d want at 6 and Love will be gone by the 2nd pick after that you have JAGs IMO they put up good numbers but they had greats lines to run behind. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I shouldn’t of said weak on RBs but I don’t think it’s as good as last year. After Barkley there’s no other back I’d want at 6 and Love will be gone by the 2nd pick after that you have JAGs IMO they put up good numbers but they had greats lines to run behind. 

I like the Michel kid from Georgia. Maybe one of our second rounders on him? Or too early? 

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I like the Michel kid from Georgia. Maybe one of our second rounders on him? Or too early? 

He should be there in the second. I keep forgetting we have two seconds. 

FA - QB

1st - Nelson 

2nd - passrusher

2nd - Micheals, Chubbs, Johnson, Guice

I’d be happy with that. 

We just cannot draft a guard at #6 overall.  We can't.  I refuse to believe thee will not be someone there for us that is of a more impactful position.  Or we won;t be in position to trade up to get someone of that ilk.

If one of the LT's graded out around 6 fine i an handle that but not a guard.

Daniel Jeremiah has him as the 2nd best player in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909727/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft

“Nelson lined up at left guard for the Irish this past season and that is where he projects at the next level. He has a thick, hulking build -- and he's the nastiest offensive line prospect I've ever evaluated. In the run game, he is quick out of his stance and has the ability to completely wash opposing players down the line of scrimmage. He rolls his hips on contact, locks on with a powerful grip and doesn't let up until he's finished the job. Nelson is very effective when he works up to the second level on combo blocks and pulls. He can adjust in space and he blocks through the whistle consistently. In pass protection, Nelson possesses an immediate anchor vs. power rushers and effortlessly handles twists and stunts. Overall, Nelson has all of the tools to be the best run blocker in the NFL and he'll be reliable in pass protection. He's the easiest player to evaluate in this draft class.”

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We just cannot draft a guard at #6 overall.  We can't.  I refuse to believe thee will not be someone there for us that is of a more impactful position.  Or we won;t be in position to trade up to get someone of that ilk.

Nelson is no ordinary guard. We took a safety at 6 remember. Who’s that working out? Of course if we don’t get a FA QB, then you draft one.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets had some of the worst guard play in the entire league last season. Carpenter is on the down slide and Winters is a JAG. If they fill needs at other positions in free agency, I’d have no problem taking a sure fire All Pro offensive lineman to plug and play the next 15 years. 

Archived