OG Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame

Untouchable

An absolute beast of an OL that needs to be talked about more often around here. 

In all likelihood he’s going to end up going in that #5-8 range and will provide whichever team drafts him with a plug-and-play, all-pro LG right out of the gate.

If the Jets land Cousins in FA and assuming guys like Chubb and Barkley are off the board at #6, he might be at the top of my short list if he’s still available.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

An absolute beast of an OL that needs to be talked about more often around here. 

In all likelihood he’s going to end up going in that #5-8 range and will provide whichever team drafts him with a plug-and-play, all-pro LG right out of the gate.

If the Jets land Cousins in FA and assuming guys like Chubb and Barkley are off the board at #6, he might be at the top of my short list if he’s still available.

Assuming what you assume this is a GREAT pick IMO.

What good is getting a quality QB and not being able to protect him....

For sure he should/could be on a short list in a pre-combine post-Cousins discussions. That said, assuming Cousins you go after Jensen and Norwell in FA since the money is there. If not Norwell then Nelson passes another checkpoint but the race is not over. OTs, CBs, and pass rushers still have room to pass him in this scenario. 

If Nelson is a freak athlete that can play OT that would help. 

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

He could be the next John Hannah, I'll be pissed if we picked another non premium position in the top 10. 

Very unlikely. He’ll be an all pro .. mark my words. With that said I would go with the LT McGlinchey Because our G’s aren’t great but they are decent. It’s a LT we are hurting for and Mitch McGlinchey is going to be a stud as well. Heavy hands at the point of attack, really stick DL’s back, good footwork and agile for his size .. has the ability to play RT at a high level but LT is his natural position. 

18 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If not mayfield, jets need to take him if they don’t trade back.

Here’s a recent write up on WF.com

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame  
Height: 6-5. Weight: 325. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.15. 
Projected Round (2018): Top-25. 

1/22/18: Nelson dominated for Notre Dame in 2017, showing the ability to overwhelm defensive linemen as a run blocker and pass protector. After surveying sources from around the league, including multiple general managers, Nelson is a consensus elite prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. However, he might go behind lesser prospects in the draft just because he is a guard and many teams don't value guards that high. 

Nelson is the most talented and polished offensive lineman in the 2018 NFL Draft class, regardless of position. He also is one of the safest prospects in the draft class. Some team sources think that Nelson could be the best guard in the NFL during his pro career and could be better than former Patriots All-Pro Logan Mankins. Some have higher grades on Nelson than they did on Mankins, David DeCastro and Brandon Scherff. 

31 minutes ago, maury77 said:

He could be the next John Hannah, I'll be pissed if we picked another non premium position in the top 10. 

I’m of the thinking that OG has fastly become a premium position with this modern day emphasis on interior D-linemen.

The top shelf guards get paid almost as much as the top LT’s these days.   

If the Jets find themselves in the position where they’ve landed Cousins and a top CB through FA and both Chubb and Barkley are gone when we go on the clock at #6 (both very possible, even likely, scenarios), then I think you could do a lot worse than adding a truly elite prospect to the OL.

In fact, if the Jets land Cousins and both Chubb/Barkley are off the board at #6...I’m having a hard time thinking of someone who makes more sense than Nelson for the Jets.

Fitzpatrick? A tweener CB/S hybrid?

Key? A one dimensional passrusher whose motor runs hot and cold?

McGlinchley or Williams? Solid, yet unspectacular LT prospects, one of which is injury prone?

I guess I could go for Key if we don’t address our need for a passrusher in FA, but even then I think I’d prefer Nelson.

Remember the draft where  2 guards were thought of as can't miss and went in the top 10 I think? Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack.   Neither amounted to much unfortunately.   

The Redskins picked a guard with the 5th pick (before Leonard Williams).  He is good, but is he an all pro generational OL?

I like the emphasis on OL, it is just hard to justify the high pick on a guard.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m of the thinking that OG has fastly become a premium position with this modern day emphasis on interior D-linemen.

The top shelf guards get paid almost as much as the top LT’s these days.   

If the Jets find themselves in the position where they’ve landed Cousins and a top CB through FA and both Chubb and Barkley are gone when we go on the clock at #6 (both very possible, even likely, scenarios), then I think you could do a lot worse than adding a truly elite prospect to the OL.

In fact, if the Jets land Cousins and both Chubb/Barkley are off the board at #6...I’m having a hard time thinking of someone who makes more sense than Nelson for the Jets.

Fitzpatrick? A tweener CB/S hybrid?

Key? A one dimensional passrusher whose motor runs hot and cold?

I guess I could go for Key if we don’t address our need for a passrusher in FA, but even then I think I’d prefer Nelson.

I'd take Key....in the 2nd round. No way over Nelson. 

Protecting the QB and helping the running game with a dominant guard is a pick well spent.

Just now, Dinamite said:

Remember the draft where  2 guards were thought of as can't miss and went in the top 10 I think? Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack.   Neither amounted to much unfortunately.   

The Redskins picked a guard with the 5th pick (before Leonard Williams).  He is good, but is he an all pro generational OL?

Remember the qb mark Sanchez, the cb dee Milner, the TE Kyle Brady ? Lol. I understand your point. But OL seems like a much lower risk than any other position. Except for kicker I guess ? Ha. 

1 minute ago, Dinamite said:

Brandon Scherff is an above average player and a 2 time pro bowler in his first 3 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Neither Warmack or Cooper possessed the kind of footwork and football IQ that Nelson has.

Nevermind the guards, he’s more gifted than basically every LT to enter the draft over the last decade as well.

The eagles line is dominant. Nick Foles had ALL DAY to throw. Look at dak Prescott coming in for Romo as a rookie, easily filled his spot because that line was so good. Same as eagles. Foles use to be shiit, now that eagles have a dominant line it doesn’t matter who they have back there. We too once had a dominant line in 09/10. Why Sanchez was “ almost Decent “ second line wasn’t great we saw his limitations. Just like Foles. We need to build a strong line. Somehow McCown did pretty decent with a horrible offense. There are only 5 qbs in league maybe who can succeed without a strong line. Eli couldn’t do anything this yr because giants Oline is so bad.  

39 minutes ago, maury77 said:

That's why picking 6th sucks. It puts us in no mans land with the top 5 prospects gone and left with guys that are good but are they top 6 good?! 

If you want these "premium" positions...then we're looking at Fitzpatrick, yet everyone cries over hearing "corner" being selected.

In fact, if the Jets land Cousins and both Chubb/Barkley are off the board at #6...I’m having a hard time thinking of someone who makes more sense than Nelson for the Jets

I can go with this pre-combine but post combine a couple among the QBs, DEs, OTs, and CBs will hopefully have separated a little by then. Need to get more athletic and better at the positions that win the foozeball games. 

56 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The eagles line is dominant. Nick Foles had ALL DAY to throw. Look at dak Prescott coming in for Romo as a rookie, easily filled his spot because that line was so good. Same as eagles. Foles use to be shiit, now that eagles have a dominant line it doesn’t matter who they have back there. We too once had a dominant line in 09/10. Why Sanchez was “ almost Decent “ second line wasn’t great we saw his limitations. Just like Foles. We need to build a strong line. Somehow McCown did pretty decent with a horrible offense. There are only 5 qbs in league maybe who can succeed without a strong line. Eli couldn’t do anything this yr because giants Oline is so bad.  

I don't care what anyone says.  Having a great OL automatically makes you a good team.  Any decent QB can pick a defense apart if he has time.  Any decent RB can look good running behind a dominant OL.  

57 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I can go with this pre-combine but post combine a couple among the QBs, DEs, OTs, and CBs will hopefully have separated a little by then. Need to get more athletic and better at the positions that win the foozeball games. 

Davenport and Chubb are on the board at #6 ..what do you do?

58 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

That's why picking 6th sucks. It puts us in no mans land with the top 5 prospects gone and left with guys that are good but are they top 6 good?! 

If you want these "premium" positions...then we're looking at Fitzpatrick, yet everyone cries over hearing "corner" being selected.

If Untouchable's scenario unfolded, I'd take MgLinchey and call it a day. 

3 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't care what anyone says.  Having a great OL automatically makes you a good team.  Any decent QB can pick a defense apart if he has time.  Any decent RB can look good running behind a dominant OL.  

I believe in having a dominant OL but Jets have put the OL horse before the QB horse twice now and whiffed. QB first, please! Its the easiest route to an open shot at loaded up the roster. 

The WF write up on McGlinchey

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame  
Height: 6-7. Weight: 310. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.30. 
Projected Round (2018): 1. 

1/22/18: McGlinchey improved as a senior and is likely the top offensive tackle prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. He has good athleticism on the edge with the feet to handle speed and good strength to sustain blocks. Unlike many finesse left tackles, McGlinchey is a quality run blocker who can get movement at the point of attack. He blocked well in 2017 and was a key cog in Notre Dame's potent rushing attack.  

In his matchup against Boston College defensive end Harold Landry, McGlinchey won the few plays they had against each other. He also helped keep Wake Forest defensive end Duke Ejiofor to one tackle in their contest. 

McGlinchey had a rough game against Miami as sophomore defensive end Joe Jackson gave him some issues. He gave up a few pressures against Georgia, too, and showed a lack of awareness on a couple of plays, but overall, McGlinchey played well against the Bulldogs until the end of the fourth quarter, when he was beaten by a speed rush for a sack-fumble with 90 seconds remaining to clinch a one-point win for Georgia. Prior to that play, McGlinchey did very well in one-on-one pass protection on the blind side. He still had one false start, but looks more disciplined in that regard over the course of year.

10 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I believe in having a dominant OL but Jets have put the OL horse before the QB horse twice now and whiffed. QB first, please! Its the easiest route to an open shot at loaded up the roster. 

Drafting a guy like Nelson is all predicated around the Jets signing Cousins.

If they miss out on Cousins, no way in hell I’m going in any other direction but QB in Round 1.

As soon as Cousins announces his intentions to sign elsewhere, I’d be on the phone to Cleveland trying to put together a package for the #1 pick 6 weeks before the draft.

Cousins or Darnold or Bust

I don’t want any half measures at QB. I’m not content with a Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson. And Rosen is built like a beanstalk and already has at least 2 concussions and a surgically repaired right shoulder on his resume.

Go big or go home.

Have the mindset that you’re either signing Cousins or paying the price it takes to obtain the #1 pick and walk away with Darnold.

17 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets need to follow the MoSCoW Method.

Must have: QB, OLB, CB

Should have: RB, WR, LT

Could have: C, DT, TE, G

Won't have: FS, SS, MLB, DE

Can we find someone who can throw touchdowns, catch touchdowns, sack quarterbacks, and intercept passes before we start using our most valuable resource on the 10th or 11th most important position on offense?

OG is a position you can improve almost every year in FA.  Spend the money on Norwell from CAR and draft a different position at 6.  OT I'd be fine with but please not a Guard.  Even if it was Larry Allen 2.0 and I think he was the best of the last 30 years.  We just have too many needs at positions you normally CAN'T fix in FA.

I like the idea of signing Cousins, and then protecting him with Jensen and Norwell. And shoot, if Chubb is gone, signing Nelson because hey, that sounds like a badass plan.

But that was before Bates. Isn’t he supposedly a zone blocking guy? Not sure if these heffers fit the new game plan. 

Archived