Mock Offseason - Draft and FA

BCJet

Staff:  Bates OC, Brian Callahan QB, Dennison as OL - put Bates and Dennison back together and let them run a Shannhan style offense with a zone blocking run scheme

NYJ Resignings:  ASJ, Clairborne, Demario Mike Pennel and Eric Tomlinson

Free Agency

1.  Ryan Jensen - center is a HUGE need and we have the opportunity to upgrade immensely with a player like Jensen who has talent and a tough, run blocking mentality

2. Two CBs -Bashaud Breeland, EJ Gaines, Rashaan Melvin, Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler, Kyle Fuller, etc.  This is a position that you can spend on in FA and we need two players in addition to clairborne as our pass rush will likely not improve a ton overnight.

3.  Veteran QB, McCown is fine with me as a bridge, but anyone of the mid tier guys is fine to keep around 

4. Adrian Clairborne - I think the team needs to be move versatile along the line, and Clariborne is a solid pro who can help play the run and rush the passer

5. Jaron Brown WR from Arizona.  Brown is 6'2 and brings some speed and experience to the position and will come vastly discounted compared to someone like Allen Robinson.  Can be some insurance in case Anderson has a suspension as well

Draft

1.  Baker Mayfield - everything he did this week at the Senior Bowl shows why he is the type of player to step in and change the culture of this organization and be a legitimate franchise player on and off the field

2a. Harold Landry - didnt love him in college and his 16 sack junior season seemed a bit underwhelming (as in not as dominating as you would think with those numbers) but this is the type of risk/reward Mac needs to take.  Landry is too small to play 4-3 DE but could excel next to a player like Leo as Leo's size/strength should free Landry up to be a pure speed rusher.  Worth the upside here in the 2nd round

2b. Best available RB.  I think Sony Michael will be gone, but between him, Ronald Jones, Grice, and Nick Chubb one of them will be there to help improve our running game

3.  Frank Ragnow Center:  he has experience at guard and will likely present good value coming off his injury.  Can possibly sit for a year, and then take over a guard spot from Carpenter in 2019

4.  Brett Toth OT Army:  No one is sure yet if the Army will allow him to defer his service, but if he is, would be a great mid round pick.  If not Greg Senat from Wagner would be good to sit for a year or two and develop to build more depth on the Oline (would take Qvale's roster spot)

5.  Akrum Wadley RB:  Wadley had a decent senior bowl but at 5'9 188 lbs is not a feature back and although his skill set is similar to E. McGuire, Im putting Wadley here to solve our PR spot year 1, and be able to develop into a 3rd RB after Powell leaves in a year or 2 behind a 2018 draft pick and McGruire

6.  Shaquem Griffin (DB/LB) - this kid is the type of guy who will raise the level of play of those around him, whether he is playing special teams or in a hybrid safety-type role.  Bowles HAS to get more creative with what we have on defense, and Griffin has the ability to play in space and bring a lot of speed to the defense plus he is an exceptional locker room player..

7.  BPA with upside

I think the 2017 Jets offense was massively derailed by the play of Wes Johnson and a player like Jensen, with his ability and attitude will lift the play of the line as a whole.  His size and nasty demeanor in the run game allows him to operate without guard help and can allow an athletic guard like winters to thrive in a zone type system by getting him in space/to the second level.  I can see the offense running more like 2015 with Enunwa as a hybrid H-Back/Blocking WR which allows us to run a lot more RPO type plays to shorten Baker's learning curve and put the defense in a tough spot as to play straight up or nickel with ASJ, Enunwa, Robby and Kearse on the field with a single back. 

A core of Leo, Adams, Maye, Baker, Jensen and even someone like Griffin (inspirational story/football lifer) can continue the transformation away from the Brandon Marshalls and towards a true team that only cares about winning football games.

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Griffin has one hand though. Do we still take that flyer?

He was player of the year in his conference on an undefeated team.  I dont discount that its an issue, but in the late rounds its worth what he brings to the table in intangibles and speed

Looks good to me! I'll take it! 

Probably need to shoot a littler higher than Jaron Brown though. For the most part you didn't splurge in FA, which is actually probably more close to reality than some of the mocks that have us landing the player at 14 positions.....  

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Looks good to me! I'll take it! 

Probably need to shoot a littler higher than Jaron Brown though. For the most part you didn't splurge in FA, which is actually probably more close to reality than some of the mocks that have us landing the player at 14 positions.....  

Theres just no way to spend all the money in FA if we dont get cousins, it would basically be wasting it.

There arent elite pass rushers available outside of Ansah, and he's got some red flags, so without cousins, the only spot Id spend a ton on is CB, which is a position that seems to have a lower bust potential in FA then some of the others.

Just now, BCJet said:

Theres just no way to spend all the money in FA if we dont get cousins, it would basically be wasting it.

There arent elite pass rushers available outside of Ansah, and he's got some red flags, so without cousins, the only spot Id spend a ton on is CB, which is a position that seems to have a lower bust potential in FA then some of the others.

that and Oline. I expect us to be active bringing in some help at Guard and competition at Tackle

On 1/26/2018 at 6:37 PM, BCJet said:

He was player of the year in his conference on an undefeated team.  I dont discount that its an issue, but in the late rounds its worth what he brings to the table in intangibles and speed

Watched this kid for several years he brings an intangible that can not be measured. Has a high motor level that fans will love. Whoever gets this kid will see and love his play and he can play.

Archived