Signing Cousins screams of selfishness and impatience

Greensleeves

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Over this short span of time, if they can’t find anyone willing to fork over more than they’d get as a compensatory pick in 2019 (i.e. the trade value of a compensatory 4th rounder in 2018), then they simply revoke the franchise tag,m Cousins becomes an unfettered UFA, and Washington gets a 3rd round comp pick next year.

And what I'm reading tells me that if they place the tag but then rescind it, they lose their rights to that comp pick. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, slats said:

And what I'm reading tells me that if they place the tag but then rescind it, they lose their rights to that comp pick. 

I read them as well but recent history suggests those assumptions are wrong.

Look at Carolina with Josh Norman. Franchise tagged him in 2016 and then rescinded the tag. In 2017 they got a 3rd round compensatory pick for him.

Same with Miami and Vernon that same year (though he was only transition tagged, I’d think the same rules would apply since the purpose would be the same). 

5 hours ago, slats said:

Highly unlikely.

Washington has $49M in cap space, and tagging Cousins would eat up $34M of it. So any big moves they'd want to make in free agency would be on ice until Cousins was resolved. Teams interested in him as a free agent could easily balk if draft picks became part of the deal. I'd expect the market to shrink, with remaining teams engaging in protracted negotiations while exploring other options. I would not want the Jets to hand over, say, a second-round pick then give Cousins $30M/year. I'd rather trade that pick to move up and get the second/third QB in the draft for around $7-8M/year. Other teams in the mix would be reevaluating their options, too. 

Or, they could just let him become a free agent, go about their business, and get the first comp pick in 2019. 

The 34mil comes off their cap the second they trade Cousins 

Next.

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I read them as well but recent history suggests those assumptions are wrong.

Look at Carolina with Josh Norman. Franchise tagged him in 2016 and then rescinded the tag. In 2017 they got a 3rd round compensatory pick for him.

Same with Miami and Vernon that same year (though he was only transition tagged, I’d think the same rules would apply since the purpose would be the same). 

Which is why I said, "what I'm reading." Seems like there are a few different possibilities there. 

Just now, Philc1 said:

The 34mil comes off their cap the second they trade Cousins 

Next.

They can't trade him if he refuses to sign the tender. But they're on the hook for that $34M until they either sign him to an alternate deal or rescind the tag. 

Next. 

Archived