It's time to work on the offense

Tinstar

Prior to the start of last season, the Jets drafted 2 safeties, 2 receivers and a RB and 2 CBs . The year before that the team added a starter at the inside LBer position . While all this was going on, the offensive line was falling apart due to age, retirement and injury . The only missing component to the defense is an edge rusher that offenses need to game plan against.  I don't believe that player exist in this draft as a certainty . 

What does exist in abundance is what's missing from the offensive side of the Jets roster at key premium positions . The Jets have 3 picks in the early part of the 1st 2 rounds and with them, an opportunity to fill the QB position, the LT position and possibly either a dynamic feature back or a potential edge rusher .  For a front office and coaching staff that has shown a desire to stick with the best player available philosophy, and with that looking like the way this draft will play out early on the offensive side of the ball, I think it's time to go to work on building the offensive talent . 

I agree; the only problem I see is what if the best player available at six is a guard?  Quentin Nelson is 'can't miss' according to the hype.  

Are we really going to have a GM that spent his first round picks, three of them being the #6 pick, on a 5 technique, an inside linebacker, a strong safety and a guard?

More than any other year in recent memory, this offseason for us is about getting a quarterback.  With Cousins being out there and with the seeming wealth of quarterback prospects at the top of the draft, now is the opportunity and we've got to be aggressive - either give Cousins the record QB deal or trade up in the draft.

If that [layer is truly the best player available and a trade down can't be orchestrated, then yes, take the best player available even if it is a guard . By the time the draft comes along, I have a feeling the BPA is either going to be a QB or Connor Williams the LT from Texas .

10 hours ago, rangerous said:

the sad thing is they're still not set on defense either.  they really need a cb and edge rusher.  those are premium positions so even though we all want to see the offense get emphasis i can see one of those defenseive positions getting some attention.

Yes but we are loaded at Strong Safety and undersized ILB

12 hours ago, rangerous said:

the sad thing is they're still not set on defense either.  they really need a cb and edge rusher.  those are premium positions so even though we all want to see the offense get emphasis i can see one of those defenseive positions getting some attention.

The Jets drafted 2 young CBs last year and signed another in free agency. Thy then went out and traded for another CB during the season. This team is not drafting another CB with a high pick .  If he's fully recovered and a full go at the combine, Connor Williams is going to be the 1st OT off the board .

When healthy, he' the best at both pass blocking and run blocking at the tackle position .

Archived