Referendum on Rich Cimini vs JetNation insider Mogglez on who we draft.

Jetsbb

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, but I don’t think they have to do anything to get both their guys. If the Giants trade down, they should do something with a team like Buffalo for 3 #1 picks and change. Otherwise they’d be smart to stay pat and take the top QB available at #2.

That's the thing though - if they trade down and pick up 3 #1's - it'll probably cost them those 3 #1's to move up next year to get the QB they need then.

I beleive they're taking a QB - when all said and done they'll know it's the smartest and most rational decision.  Hope I'm wrong.  

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That's the thing though - if they trade down and pick up 3 #1's - it'll probably cost them those 3 #1's to move up next year to get the QB they need then.

I beleive they're taking a QB - when all said and done they'll know it's the smartest and most rational decision.  Hope I'm wrong.  

Well maybe and maybe not (next year). The thing about this draft’s QB class is it isn’t purely top-heavy. There are supposedly another ~5 QBs with actual real potential in this draft, and the fact is they do have Eli for another couple seasons (unlike the Jets and others who are top-4-QB-or-bust). They could easily afford to draft one of the other handful and see if that pans out (along with Webb, if they still like him that much). 

That said, unfortunately I agree with you that they’re taking a QB for the reasons you and I (and others) have been saying. This pick was earned by the most embarrassing season their franchise has endured in quite some time — even worse than the crappy 2003 season they earned the Rivers/Eli pick, because of the debacle over benching Eli for Geno and cleaning house of both HC and GM. I’d have a hard time to believe that ownership, their new GM, etc. wouldn’t feel that at least they can make it worth the embarrassment by having it lead to their next FQB. 

The truth, when they speak privately, is that for all the stupidity surrounding the Eli/Geno thing in 2017, and for all the WR/OL injuries and poor play that contributed to it, the reality is they were right to bench Eli, and if they’d simply benched him for Webb (instead of the insult of benching him for Geno) it probably wouldn’t have been such a big deal. But you don’t have a QB fast approaching 40, who’d just earned a benching the prior season, and then pass up on the next FQB sitting right there at your #2 overall pick.

Allen Still may go 1, He fits the AFC North mold of big, strong armed QBs.  I really think Allen is going 1.  Then I can see Darnold going to Giants or other, and Rosen is there for the picking... I think the Jets might also have a pretty good idea of who the Browns are drafting.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Allen Still may go 1, He fits the AFC North mold of big, strong armed QBs.  I really think Allen is going 1.  Then I can see Darnold going to Giants or other, and Rosen is there for the picking... I think the Jets might also have a pretty good idea of who the Browns are drafting.

the assumption that darnold is going first is premature.  there has been stuff written how the browns love allen and would groom him for a year.  the tyrod taylor signing is consistent with this approach.  

i don't think mccagnan traded up relying the browns would take him, but still.

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the assumption that darnold is going first is premature.  there has been stuff written how the browns love allen and would groom him for a year.  the tyrod taylor signing is consistent with this approach.  

i don't think mccagnan traded up relying the browns would take him, but still.

Nothing is definite and Browns and Giants can both still trade out, but I think Mikey Mac got some hints to which direction Browns and Giants are going before making the trade.

Just now, Skeptable said:

Because if he felt that his guy was going to be taken I feel he would have traded to 1st overall. Just my hunch.

Cleveland isn't trading out for the same reason the Jets would want to trade up.  They're taking a QB and want their choice.  You couldn't offer them enough to trade out.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Cleveland isn't trading out for the same reason the Jets would want to trade up.  They're taking a QB and want their choice.  You couldn't offer them enough to trade out.

I disagree.  But we will see. I think Browns want Allen and he will be there at 4 

Archived