Referendum on Rich Cimini vs JetNation insider Mogglez on who we draft.

Jetsbb

Just now, Thai Jet said:

Let's not forget Allen.

To be honest, I don't think they want Allen.

I think they're expecting Darnold to be gone. Rosen could be there if the Giants go for Barkley. If not then the pick is Mayfield. 

Just my gut feeling. Then again, my gut feeling a week ago was that they were going to blow away Cousins with an offer no one else could match, so take it for what it's worth.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Let's not forget Allen.

Allen is just another potential consideration...I'm sure the Jets will attend his pro day when it occurs, perhaps it changes Macc's mind...who knows?

But IMO there is no way Macc made this deal if he didn't feel comfortable with drafting any of at least 3 QBs in this draft...I'm sure he has his preference if asked, but he would've drafted one of these three a6 if available.

Just now, sourceworx said:

To be honest, I don't think they want Allen.

I think they're expecting Darnold to be gone. Rosen could be there if the Giants go for Barkley. If not then the pick is Mayfield. 

Just my gut feeling. Then again, my gut feeling a week ago was that they were going to blow away Cousins with an offer no one else could match, so take it for what it's worth.

I kinda get the gut feeling that they're sweet on Rosen as well. Gonna be a loooong 6 weeks.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

Yeah, that's all. Just need Barkley to go higher than Adrian Peterson and Leonard Fournette did in weaker quarterback drafts. No big deal. Especially considering we just made it easier for Cleveland to sweat Barkley falling to 4 and the Giants aren't stupid to begin with. This can't miss.

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You guys can’t do math. Having the third pick, knowing the Giants don’t need a QB = getting 1 of the top 2.

Jets: Hi, we would like to trade up with you.

Giants: Whaaaaaat? No need! We’re taking a guard!

Jets: wow ok thanks

This is hysterical, lmao.  Thanks for this OP

For the record guys, there is still a long way to go until the draft (in terms of work that will actually be done)...as fun as it would be to smash Cimini up...I don't want everyone to think that Josh Allen surpassing Mayfield is something that is impossible.  Where him and I firmly disagree in what we've heard is that the Jets are not that high on Mayfield.  That's not what I've heard at all.  Daniel Jeremiah and other people can even attest to that.  At the end of the day, if Allen jumps ahead of him, it's because he interviewed well, had a fantastic pro day, and Mayfield just has a lower ceiling (I disagree, but I'm not I'm charge).  I don't believe we pass on Rosen for Allen if he falls to three.  At all.  Same notion goes for Darnold. 

I think it's safe to say that everyone here knows my feelings on Allen by now.  I don't think he's the answer to our issues and I don't want him...but the more things start to solidify towards the draft, the more clear it's become that a very good chunk of the league believes that the kid will be special.  I don't get it.  I don't see it.  Time will prove whether I am right or wrong.  Point I'm rambling on about is, don't rule anyone out of these 4 (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen).  The league, as a whole, is very high on all of them.  The only guy I would totally disregard at #3 is Lamar Jackson.  

52 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Barkley going top 2 would be a coup for us. Huge.

Any chance Barkley 1, Chubb 2?  I have no idea.  If the Browns take Barkley 1, they can still grab a QB at 4 with the Left overs.  The Giants love their Pass Rushers.  I would assume they Trade out if they dont take a QB though.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

For the record guys, there is still a long way to go until the draft (in terms of work that will actually be done)...as fun as it would be to smash Cimini up...I don't want everyone to think that Josh Allen surpassing Mayfield is something that is impossible.  Where him and I firmly disagree in what we've heard is that the Jets are not high on Mayfield.  That's not what I've heard at all.  Daniel Jeremiah and other people can even attest to that.  At the end of the day, if Allen jumps ahead of him, it's because he interviewed well, had a fantastic pro day, and Mayfield just has a lower ceiling (I disagree, but I'm not I'm charge).  I don't believe we pass on Rosen for Allen if he falls to three.  At all.  Same notion goes for Darnold. 

Well the jets are clearly ok taking at least 3 of these guys right now, so there's at least 1 guy besides Rosen and darnold if not both of them who pass the mustard.

i will say this, if cleveland does not take allen, I think he could drop out of the top 6-7 and would be a great trade up target at 6 where Indy now sits.  

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

For the record guys, there is still a long way to go until the draft (in terms of work that will actually be done)...as fun as it would be to smash Cimini up...I don't want everyone to think that Josh Allen surpassing Mayfield is something that is impossible.  Where him and I firmly disagree in what we've heard is that the Jets are not high on Mayfield.  That's not what I've heard at all.  Daniel Jeremiah and other people can even attest to that.  At the end of the day, if Allen jumps ahead of him, it's because he interviewed well, had a fantastic pro day, and Mayfield just has a lower ceiling (I disagree, but I'm not I'm charge).  I don't believe we pass on Rosen for Allen if he falls to three.  At all.  Same notion goes for Darnold. 

My top target is Rosen, but I would take Mayfield and Allen before Darnold .  

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

My top target is Rosen, but I would take Mayfield and Allen before Darnold .  

I'm firmly in my own camp of:  Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen at this stage, although I reserve the right to flip a bit before draft day, lol.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'm firmly in my own camp of:  Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen at this stage, although I reserve the right to flip a bit before draft day, lol.

Is it reasonable to conclude that the jets would be happy with mayfield and that's why they made the trade?

The Giants know Eli is done.  They watch the games like the rest of us. They're taking a QB - it would be neglectful not to.

Passing on a potnetial franchise QB for a RB? knowing they'll have to give away an etire draft next year to trade up to get one.

They still have the 2nd pick in the 2nd round - many very, very good RB's will be available.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Is it reasonable to conclude that the jets would be happy with mayfield and that's why they made the trade?

My gut and heart tell me yes.  However, we won't truly know the answer to that until draft day.  I believe it's safe to say they, like the rest of the league, really love all 4.  What they have as their #3-#4 rankings remains somewhat murky.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Let's not forget Allen.

I can’t help but think Allen is the QB that teams are talking up this year, in order to get the other three to drop.

Sll I hear about him is arm strength, size... things we see never transition to the league routinely. Accuracy and mechanics, among other things always seem to net out better at the NFL level.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

My gut and heart tell me yes.  However, we won't truly know the answer to that until draft day.  I believe it's safe to say they, like the rest of the league, really love all 4.  What they have as their #3-#4 rankings remains somewhat murky.

Benjamin Albright also saying its Josh Allen over Mayfield

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Rich Cimini:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/75197/quarterback-starved-jets-make-right-move-by-trading-up

"I believe the Jets' top three are Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen, in no particular order. That's based on conversations with personnel people around the league. The early sense is that the Jets don't rate Baker Mayfield in that upper-echelon category. It's worth noting that Maccagnan left the Jets' free-agency war room in recent days to attend the Rosen and Mayfield pro days. It was a final look-see before he made this trade."

Mogglez:

"To make a very long story short they're incredibly high on all of the top 4 with Rosen and Darnold at the very top, Mayfield and Allen just below, in that order. However, Baker Mayfield is about to make our top 2 (Rosen, Darnold) a top 3 if he does well in the private meeting/workout we set up with him.  He was incredibly impressive when we met with him for over 4 hours at the Senior Bowl, and even more so at the Combine.  Football IQ is off the charts.  Allen isn't dumb by any means.  In fact, I heard he tested better than expected on the white board.  However, he's just a little behind the other 3 in that regard. Obviously, where he makes up for this is his measurables and his arm that no one else comes close to."

Its very likely Darnold and Rosen will be 1-2 Macaggnon gave up a lot to get one of the 2nd tiered QB's

Agreed but if they don't trade up and the bills so there is a chance both Allen and Mayfield are gone and they are left without a franchise QB option.

I think they over paid but if they get a franchise QB it will be well worth it.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

For the record guys, there is still a long way to go until the draft (in terms of work that will actually be done)...as fun as it would be to smash Cimini up...I don't want everyone to think that Josh Allen surpassing Mayfield is something that is impossible.  Where him and I firmly disagree in what we've heard is that the Jets are not that high on Mayfield.  That's not what I've heard at all.  Daniel Jeremiah and other people can even attest to that.  At the end of the day, if Allen jumps ahead of him, it's because he interviewed well, had a fantastic pro day, and Mayfield just has a lower ceiling (I disagree, but I'm not I'm charge).  I don't believe we pass on Rosen for Allen if he falls to three.  At all.  Same notion goes for Darnold. 

I think it's safe to say that everyone here knows my feelings on Allen by now.  I don't think he's the answer to our issues and I don't want him...but the more things start to solidify towards the draft, the more clear it's become that a very good chunk of the league believes that the kid will be special.  I don't get it.  I don't see it.  Time will prove whether I am right or wrong.  Point I'm rambling on about is, don't rule anyone out of these 4 (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen).  The league, as a whole, is very high on all of them.  The only guy I would totally disregard at #3 is Lamar Jackson.  

Any chance Jets make another move up the board to make sure they go all in for their guy?

Does anybody else feel this qb market is getting crazy kinda like the bitcoin craze or housing market. 

Not saying there terrible but I don’t remember another year people goin crazy about this many qbs all that have holes in there game or measurables. 

Feel like in any other year this class would go qb at picks 1&2  next somewhere between 6-10 and the 4th in the low teens 

This year we have fans of all teams and experts alike saying that 4 can go in the top 6 

What are the odds of of all 4 guys panning out. I just don’t see it 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

If they love all 4 then this trade was so unnecessary, IF 3 are gone in the first 3 picks then you trade with the Browns on draft day which would be cheaper.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yup. This trade = Mac probably inquired with Giants, they are sold on using puck for Barkley or the OG.

Calculated risk = only 2 QBs get picked in top 3.

I think this mostly correct.  Macc called and either the NYG didn’t want to move down at all or the price was so steep that it’s highly unlikely that Den, Buf, or anyone else would want to go to 2.  

That said, if the NYGs want Nelson that they would have been more open to trade with us at 6.  I think the NYGs pick will absolutely come down to Rosen or Barkley.  

So now Macc can sit by the phone.  When Gettleman calls and asks about a swap for 2 & 3, Macc now knows they want Barkley and hangs up.  If the Giants want Barkley, they have to take him at 2 because Cle will be waiting at 4.

You guys can’t do math. Having the third pick, knowing the Giants don’t need a QB = getting 1 of the top 2.

The Giants are not giving the Jets anything. Either they take the qb or trade the pick.  Watch the Broncos. 

54 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Benjamin Albright also saying its Josh Allen over Mayfield

It very well could be true.  Also, it genuinely wouldn't surprise me to find out that Cimini is his source.  The draft is so much harder to predict because teams intentionally leak false information.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

I don't believe the NYG are taking a QB at #2, their free agent moves
indicate that they think 2017 was an aberration.  And all they need are
a few tweaks to be a playoff team again therefore they are going to want
an impact player (Barkley, Nelson, Chubb) not someone sitting behind 
Manning

They signed OL, LBs, and CBs. What exactly about that suggests they are prioritizing short term vs adding pieces they can build with? The only win now move is the Stewart signing and that's not even a big deal. 

45 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Any chance Jets make another move up the board to make sure they go all in for their guy?

I'll never say never, but I doubt it.

41 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If they love all 4 then this trade was so unnecessary, IF 3 are gone in the first 3 picks then you trade with the Browns on draft day which would be cheaper.

There was a very good chance all 4 guys were gone before 6, leaving them with Jackson who they are not high on at all.  Browns will likely stay put if I had to guess, but there were certainly other teams interested in moving up for Allen/Mayfield and we're all just really speculating on what the Giants will do.  Way too much uncertainty to wait until draft day.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Mogglez makes more sense for the jets to give up so much draft collateral to move to 3.  They must be sold on 3 of them.  And when is cimini right about this stuff anyway?

Cimini had McCown/Teddy for a couple of weeks. 

Or the Giants rape the Bills for their 1 + 2 and next year's 1 to get up to #2 and F the Jets in the process.

SAR I

It's pretty simple. We want Barkley or Allen to go top 2 (with the ideal draft being Allen to the Browns and Barkley to the Giants. I would guess the Jets are fairly confident one of those two things will happen.

But, since the Jets can't have nice things I'm guessing the Giants are trying to spook the Browns into taking Barkley 1 with a smoke screen of interest and Darnold goes 1 to the Browns while Rosen goes 2 to the Giants.

Then it's a roll of the dice between Mayfield and Allen.

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Giants are either taking him or trading him to someone that will. Jets are getting Josh Allen or Mayfield

Maybe. But like the Colts GM said today, he didn’t want to trade out of the top 10. I doubt the Giants feel any different. 

Archived