Apparently we didn’t need to “see what we have” in Hackenberg...

ZachEY

On 8/31/2018 at 7:11 AM, TeddEY said:

Has a player ever been benched for performance in the 4th preseason game, forcing them to bring another QB back in?

He wasnt pulled.

On the broadcast they said earlier that the plan heading into the 2nd half was to have Hack and Callahan switch off.  Hack played the 3rd and the switch was made in the 4th.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/31/2018 at 7:31 AM, BurnleyJet said:

I do get the 4th for Petty, but a 2nd for Hack! The man with an undraftble grade. What was his scouting team seeing? - It's the Jets all time worst 2nd round pick, and that's saying something.

Remember when the excuse was he didn’t solely have his own scouts in place until the 2016 draft class? 

I wonder what spooked Macc into taking him in the 2nd 

I know Obrien traded in front of us, but he didn't take hack 

Probably some legendary misinformation stuff went down 

I think Denvers QB board got leaked and hack wasn't on it 

Some other picks at higher slots turned out poorly but I don't remember a Jets pick getting universally panned like hack 

I have vivid memories of the Blair Thomas pick being greeted with positive reactions for example 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:49 AM, bostonmajet said:

Some of you make me laugh; Tebow in the 1st isn't as bad as Hack in the second? Really, a first vs a second? Worst pick ever? We picked a kicker in the 2nd once. We traded a second for a TE who sucked (you don't know how a college guy will adapt, but we had film on the TE); I seem to remember once we drafted a guy in the 1st (lagerman or something) that was such a reach that ESPN (this was before the NFL channel) didn't have a picture of him (or something like that). Worst pick ever for the Jets, I thought that was Jamal Adams. Lamb Jones anyone?

Kiper once admonished the Jets for not knowing what the draft was all about. Hack was a terrible reach; bad pick. Mac panicked that Houston was going to jump ahead of him. Bad play. Hopefully Mac has learned his lesson. Mac thought he would roll the dice as we needed a QB desperately, but he could have rolled the dice in 4th, 5th or 6th. But worst draft pick ever, you guys seriously under estimate some of the Jets passed mistakes.

For as much grief that the NYJ got for drafting Lageman in the first round, the guy played 9+ yrs in the NFL putting up like 45 sacks...I think he even had 10 sacks one year for us.  He shouldn't even be mentioned in the list of 'bad NYJ draft picks'.

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Famously.  Over picking Erik McMillan in the 3rd.  Who went on to have a productive career.  Once again proving how little Kiper knows about the draft scouting from his basement

I thought the Kiper comment came after the Lageman pick, not McMillan...but your conclusion about Kiper is valid.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:29 PM, Snell41 said:

So Bowles took a sh*t ton of flack over not playing Petty and Hack to see what we had. I think it’s time to give him some credit, because he was right. neither one deserve to be on an NFL field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And petty earned his way to start all 4 games in garbage time ? What about sterling? He only got in because Jenkins got hurt. He looked pretty good, as he has this preseason. Jenkins sucked, would have been nice to see what we had in Sterling. Maybe we don’t draft another tight end with our 3rd pick. Bowles is clueless 

5 hours ago, Larz said:

I wonder what spooked Macc into taking him in the 2nd 

I know Obrien traded in front of us, but he didn't take hack 

Probably some legendary misinformation stuff went down 

I think Denvers QB board got leaked and hack wasn't on it 

Some other picks at higher slots turned out poorly but I don't remember a Jets pick getting universally panned like hack 

I have vivid memories of the Blair Thomas pick being greeted with positive reactions for example 

Mac said he was so worried O’Brien move up 2 spots right in front of us because he wanted hack, knowing the penn state connection.. but O’Brien wanted Martin, a center. He knew jets had a need for center and thought Mac would pick him.. which if he knew Mac, he would know he would never pick a OL before 6 round lol

On 8/30/2018 at 8:45 PM, SMC said:

But the NFL doesn't work like that as mentioned.  Hack simply lacked the basic competency to play the QB position. It's obvious that everyone in the organization saw that: the coaches, the players and the FO.  Its like any other position on the team.  If you had a K who couldn't kick, you don't send him out there in order to intentionally lose games.  Starting Hack would solely be for the purpose of losing games, which no team would ever do.

The Colts should have traded for him last year

Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo)

9/2/18, 2:34 PM

QB Christian Hackenberg is signing with the #Bengals practice squad, source says. He goes way back with Bill Lazor and has some experience with Jim Haslett, who was a consultant at Penn State in 2015.

Archived