Apparently we didn’t need to “see what we have” in Hackenberg...

ZachEY

Serious question, how does one scout hackenburg and walk away after ten minutes thinking this guy is worth a 2nd round pick? Three years in and he is possibly worse than he was in college. 

Also, remember all those he rebuilt his whole throwing motion articles in the offseason? Accuracy to a large degree is an innate ability. Darnold can have bad footing and throw rolling out to his left with adeptness and Hack misses wide receivers against air. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Bugg said:

We all know he's terrible. The issue is the downside of not playing him is paying through the nose for Darnold instead of simply getting the higher pick and keeping those other draft picks instead. There was no upside to winning 5 games with McCown over winning 2-3 with Petty/Hackenberg. They weren't going to the playoffs either way. 

Valid point but as Herm once said "you play the game to win" lol

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Has a player ever been benched for performance in the 4th preseason game, forcing them to bring another QB back in?

That is amazing. He was so bad that his play was preventing the coaches from getting a look at some offensive players that they might keep.

6 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I tell ya what:  4th pre-season games are practically unwatchable.  But last night, I got some popcorn and told my son to sit and watch it with me.  why?  to watch Hackenberg!  man, it was a show!!!

It’s a shame Pederson gave him a mercy killing after the 3rd turnover.

Just now, sourceworx said:

That is amazing. He was so bad that his play was preventing the coaches from getting a look at some offensive players that they might keep.

This is the exact reason you couldn’t start him, even in a tank situation.

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It’s a shame Pederson gave him a mercy killing after the 3rd turnover.

I know.  and yeah it's preseason, but I really wanted to go the whole preseason w/o giving up a TD!  we were actually kind of pi$$ed!  and of course it happens on the last drive, AND causes us to lose.  I tell ya, I'm sick of those type of games.  I know that wasn't the "real Jets" but I hope it's not an omen of things to come...

I'm not trying to pile on here but Hackenberg might just be the worst QB I've ever seen play in an NFL game, preseason, or otherwise.  He's putrid.  This was a massive swing and a miss by Mac and the entire organization.  Mac better win multiple Super Bowls with the Jets or else that pick is going to follow him around forever.  

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

In theory you are, of course, correct.

But, a head coach generally can’t afford to think this way. If Bowles went 1-15 with hack/petty last year, he would have almost certainly been fired. This is always the practical problem with tanking arguments, in general.

If your team has no chance of competing for a SB, it may very well be in the best longterm interest of the organization to tank, but it is virtually never in the best interest of the current coach/GM. 

It's also not in the best interest of the rest of the players on the team, particularly young developing players trying to get better (the majority of guys on the Jets.)

Yesterday was Hack's worst QBing performance ever.

16.9 passer rating is worse than he ever had in a preseason game for the Jets.  I cannot imagine he gets another shot after this.  Football just is not his thing -- although he did earn $2.7MM to never get a chance to play in a regular season game. 

Not too bad for a 23-year old kid.  Should have over a million still in the bank and time to get a real job.

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is the exact reason you couldn’t start him, even in a tank situation.

I didn't get to watch the game. I just caught highlights and read some of the comments here. It sounds like he was an absolute train wreck.

20 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I know.  and yeah it's preseason, but I really wanted to go the whole preseason w/o giving up a TD!  we were actually kind of pi$$ed!  and of course it happens on the last drive, AND causes us to lose.  I tell ya, I'm sick of those type of games.  I know that wasn't the "real Jets" but I hope it's not an omen of things to come...

The defense was pretty good all preseason, but the frustrating part is that in two games -- last night and Washington -- we needed a stop to win the game and couldn't get it done.  I know it was second/third stringers in both games, so it not like I am out on the ledge over it, but it would have been nice to see them get a stop with the game on the line.  Even if the games did not count.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

The defense was pretty good all preseason, but the troubling sign is that in two games -- last night and Washington -- we needed a stop to win the game and couldn't get it done.  I know it was second/third stringers in both games, so it not like I am out on the ledge over it, but it would have been nice to see them get a stop with the game on the line.  Even if the games did not count.

well that is what I'm saying.  We have been through this WAAAY too many times in the past, and I'm sick of it.

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I didn't get to watch the game. I just caught highlights and read some of the comments here. It sounds like he was an absolute train wreck.

I think, even those of us who hated the pick, admonished Macc for making it, didn't want to see he in an actual game, ever, were surprised by just how bad it was.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

The defense was pretty good all preseason, but the troubling sign is that in two games -- last night and Washington -- we needed a stop to win the game and couldn't get it done.  I know it was second/third stringers in both games, so it not like I am out on the ledge over it, but it would have been nice to see them get a stop with the game on the line.  Even if the games did not count.

Winning and losing means absolutely nothing in preseason. It’s all about starters getting some reps and rhythm and player evaluations for the cut. 

6 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Winning and losing means absolutely nothing in preseason. It’s all about starters getting some reps and rhythm and player evaluations for the cut. 

I agree.  100%. 

I probably should not have used the term troubling.  Just frustrating as a fan to see the D play so well all pre-season and 2 games, game on the line, need a stop, don't get it done.  Does not mean a damn thing now that PS is over, but frustrating as a fan nonetheless.

Some of you make me laugh; Tebow in the 1st isn't as bad as Hack in the second? Really, a first vs a second? Worst pick ever? We picked a kicker in the 2nd once. We traded a second for a TE who sucked (you don't know how a college guy will adapt, but we had film on the TE); I seem to remember once we drafted a guy in the 1st (lagerman or something) that was such a reach that ESPN (this was before the NFL channel) didn't have a picture of him (or something like that). Worst pick ever for the Jets, I thought that was Jamal Adams. Lamb Jones anyone?

Kiper once admonished the Jets for not knowing what the draft was all about. Hack was a terrible reach; bad pick. Mac panicked that Houston was going to jump ahead of him. Bad play. Hopefully Mac has learned his lesson. Mac thought he would roll the dice as we needed a QB desperately, but he could have rolled the dice in 4th, 5th or 6th. But worst draft pick ever, you guys seriously under estimate some of the Jets passed mistakes.

12 hours ago, varjet said:

Add this to the list of why Mac was terrible at the draft at least through 2017.

Hopefully he has convinced Chris he is now better at it.  

And yet somehow we are supposed to hoard draft picks for Mac so he can take more Lee’s and Hackenberg’s instead of trading for Khalil Mack

4BFCAC32-8358-4E57-A623-0CB8937E1AD9.jpeg

Just now, Losmeister said:

before my time, but I'da had yer 6

It was really a dark time to be a jets fan up until the day we finally drafted Sam Darnold. Two years of this fan base acting Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg were the next Dan Marino and Tom Brady was absolutely nauseating 

18 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Some of you make me laugh; Tebow in the 1st isn't as bad as Hack in the second? Really, a first vs a second? Worst pick ever? We picked a kicker in the 2nd once. We traded a second for a TE who sucked (you don't know how a college guy will adapt, but we had film on the TE); I seem to remember once we drafted a guy in the 1st (lagerman or something) that was such a reach that ESPN (this was before the NFL channel) didn't have a picture of him (or something like that). Worst pick ever for the Jets, I thought that was Jamal Adams. Lamb Jones anyone?

Kiper once admonished the Jets for not knowing what the draft was all about. Hack was a terrible reach; bad pick. Mac panicked that Houston was going to jump ahead of him. Bad play. Hopefully Mac has learned his lesson. Mac thought he would roll the dice as we needed a QB desperately, but he could have rolled the dice in 4th, 5th or 6th. But worst draft pick ever, you guys seriously under estimate some of the Jets passed mistakes.

I agree with you.   Hack was a bad pick, but it was #51 overall.  Paxton Lynch in the 20s in the same draft may turn out to be worse.  Johnny Manziel at 22 could be worse.  Blair Thomas at 2 and Vernon Gholston at 6 were probably worse as well.  Better football players but waste of more valuable resources. 

I took a look at past drafts on Pro Football Reference to find what might be in the discussion for worst draft pick ever.  I came up with Rich Campbell in 1981.  The Packers selected Campbell, QB  from Cal, at 6 overall.  Never started a game.  In mop up duty in 7 games he was 31/68 with 9 interceptions.  That is definitely worse than Hack.

I didn't see the game but saw the stat line and can only imagine how God awful it was to see. Hack was rated undraftable by PFF as myself and many others pointed out. As critical as I've been of Bowles I reluctantly have to give him this one. Hack had no business being drafted period IMO. The best thing is that Sam Darnold is the starting QB of the New York Jets and Hack is just an unpleasant memory. Maybe he can pull a Jesse Palmer and join the reality TV crowd.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

I didn't see the game but saw the stat line and can only imagine how God awful it was to see. Hack was rated undraftable by PFF as myself and many others pointed out. As critical as I've been of Bowles I reluctantly have to give him this one. Hack had no business being drafted period IMO. The best thing is that Sam Darnold is the starting QB of the New York Jets and Hack is just an unpleasant memory. Maybe he can pull a Jesse Palmer and join the reality TV crowd.

The Hack Abortion was Macc overreacting to criticism for not drafting Paxton Lynch in round 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

He's just another QB that didn't work out.  Same as Jimmy Clausen was as a 2nd round pick.

I can see why someone would fall in love with CH.

It's sad that he ended his career last night, good kid, hard worker, but just broken

Macc got us Sam - all is forgiven.

In order to be broken, one has to have been whole at one point.  Hack was always in shambles.

18 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Matt is 100% correct. It’s probably the worst draft pick I’ve ever seen in the NFL.

The difference between Hackneberg and the examples listed is it was obvious to everyone with a braincell at the time that Hackenberg was a dud – There was plenty of reason to believe the others could be good even great players. He’s the only draft pick in Jets history I haven’t been able to try and find any redeeming quality with. Any game from any of the previous two Penn St seasons showed that he was complete trash and already inflicted with every bad habit a QB could have. You can’t fix terrible. He was an undraftable prospect and we took him in the second ******* round. 

He’s probably one of the worst players to ever set foot in the league. It was obvious before day one that he never stood a chance, never belonged and would probably get eaten alive. He’s been everything I’ve expected and worse although he’s somehow lasted longer than I thought.

The talk when we drafted Hack was "project who needs at least 2 years to rebuild".  Was it a foolish 2nd round pick?  Yes.  But was it a 100% certainty he'd be a bust?  I'd say no.  After his freshman year he was considered one of the top QBs in the country.  The idea that he was worthless 2 years later seems a bit "hindsight is 20/20".

19 hours ago, Lith said:

And the Christian Hackenberg era in Philadelphia has come to a close.  At least it lasted about a week longer than the Christian Hackenberg era lasted in Oakland.

When u can’t even look mediocre facing the jets third string

22 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Kiper once admonished the Jets for not knowing what the draft was all about.

Famously.  Over picking Erik McMillan in the 3rd.  Who went on to have a productive career.  Once again proving how little Kiper knows about the draft scouting from his basement

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The talk when we drafted Hack was "project who needs at least 2 years to rebuild".  Was it a foolish 2nd round pick?  Yes.  But was it a 100% certainty he'd be a bust?  I'd say no.  After his freshman year he was considered one of the top QBs in the country.  The idea that he was worthless 2 years later seems a bit "hindsight is 20/20".

They rolled the dice hoping to catch lighting in a bottle.  They saw a guy who as a 18 year old looked every bit the part of the top HS QB recruit that he was when he went into PSU.  It was a failure on every level.  At the time they were comfortable taking that risk not knowing when they would get a shot at a prospect with a better chance of success.  

Archived