Jets | Heimerdinger wants out of contract

Smizzy

Jets | Heimerdinger wants out of contract

Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:46:11 -0800

Karen Crouse, of the New York Times, reports New York Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger wants to be released from the team's coaching staff. The Jets, through their spokesman, Ron Colangelo, said Thursday evening, Jan. 19, that Heimerdinger had been retained to run the offense under the new head coach, Eric Mangini. But Heimerdinger's agent said his client wished to be released from his contract and was being kept on the Jets' staff against his will. "That is what is so incredulous to me, because this just doesn't add up," Heimerdinger's agent, Robert LaMonte, said last night. "I just hope we can get beyond this." Heimerdinger's stance, according to two people close to him is basically this: If the Jets did not consider him valuable enough to promote, why do they want him to stay?

If he's pissed because they want to bring someone in to assist with the 'run offense' I don't blame him.

If he's pissed because the Jets didn't make him the HC, then I guess piss off. It would have been one thing if teams were beating down his door - but they haven't been. Stay as OC and see what you can do with a good offense.

Heimerdinger's stance, according to two people close to him is basically this: If the Jets did not consider him valuable enough to promote, why do they want him to stay?

Did this meat head sign a contract to be the HC or the OC?

If you don't get a raise or promotion at work do you quit?

I don't like the sound bites in the following ESPN article out of Dinger...we need to move on and he needs to move on.

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- New Jets coach Eric Mangini decided Thursday to keep offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger on staff, shortly after parting ways with defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

The move to retain Heimerdinger came as a mild surprise, since the two have no history together.

Many thought Heimerdinger would be let go, and were linking him to jobs in Denver and Houston. But now he gets another shot to help an offense that struggled mightily in 2005 without Chad Pennington or Curtis Martin.

Heimerdinger said his meeting with Mangini went well and he was impressed with Mangini's energy. He said it didn't make a difference that he would be working for someone so much younger. Mangini turned 35 Thursday.

"His experience is good, age doesn't make a difference," Heimerdinger said.

Despite those kind remarks, however, Heimerdinger expressed overall dissatisfaction with his situation in New York during an interview Thursday.

"I'm not upset because this may be a rebuilding situation," he told the Newark Star-Ledger. "I'm upset because I came to work for Herman Edwards and I'm having to stay and work for someone not named Herman Edwards.

"Also, I'm upset because I interviewed for the [head] job and obviously I was third in the pecking order [behind Mangini and Mike Tice]. So, I wasn't good enough for the job and I still have to stay. I'm not happy with the situation."

Heimerdinger's agent, Bob Lamonte, told the Star-Ledger that his client is "grossly unhappy" and hopes there is a way to "work toward an amicable conclusion."

Meanwhile, Henderson, receivers coach Pep Hamilton and tight ends coach John Zernhelt weren't retained. It was widely expected that Henderson would be let go.

When reached on his cell phone, Henderson declined comment. There was speculation that linebackers coach Bob Sutton was elevated to defensive coordinator to replace Henderson, but nothing was made official Thursday.

Henderson joined the Jets for the 2004 season, overseeing a vast improvement in the defense as the Jets made the playoffs. In 2005, the defense played well in spots, but could not carry an anemic offense. Injuries also plagued the team as the Jets finished 4-12.

Hired by previous coach Herman Edwards, who left earlier this month to become Kansas City's coach, Henderson guided a unit that ranked second against the pass, mainly because opponents could run so well against New York. The Jets were ranked 29th at stopping the run.

Hamilton joined the coaching staff in 2003, when he was hired as offensive quality control coach. After that season he was elevated to offensive assistant coach before being promoted to oversee the wide receivers in 2005.

Zernhelt joined the Jets last February. He's a former head coach at The Citadel.

The fate of special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff was still up in the air. Heimerdinger, Henderson and Westhoff interviewed for the job that went to Mangini.

Play hardball with him. I have had it with the Jets being soft.

You wants to be pissy? Oh okay, then kiss away any hope of ever being a H.C. Shut up and do the job you were brought here to do.

If Shanahan wants you that bad tell him to send a 4th round pick our way.

Play hardball with him. I have had it with the Jets being soft.

You wants to be pissy? Oh okay, then kiss away any hope of ever being a H.C. Shut up and do the job you were brought here to do.

If Shanahan wants you that bad tell him to send a 4th round pick our way.

Max, the only way that Dinger can work for someone else is for the Jets to can his butt.

The days of getting compensation for assistants is over...league doesn't allow that anymore.

Dinger comes off as a real jerk here with his Herm Edwards comments. The guy signed a contract to be OC for the Jets, not Herman Edwards...maybe he needs to read the fine print.

Dinger comes off as a real jerk here with his Herm Edwards comments. The guy signed a contract to be OC for the Jets, not Herman Edwards...maybe he needs to read the fine print.

I hear ya. He does come off bad here. They gave him over a million per year to run this offense. Herm is gone but that doesn't change his situation.

He should hire Herm's agent if he wants ways to get out of a contract.

This really did not surprise me that he wanted out since he was passed over for head coach and less experienced guy in Mangini was brought in. These Coaches are getting just as bad as some players in not honoring contracts and looking to renegotiate contracts that are signed

'Dinger is already exhibiting anti-Patriot behavior. Trust me, Mangini will bring a "all for one, one for all" approach to football ops in NY. I am baffled as to why he would want him on his staff. Clearly, it will be a rebuilding year - may as well get rid of 'Dinger too.

Archived