"Young Offensive Mind"

BCJet

The vast majority of the arguments against HCs like Mike McCarthy, Toub or even Dan Campbell is that people want a young offensive mind like McVay/Nagy/Shanahan.  Those guys are excellent offensive play callers/designers but I dont necessarily agree that its some rare level of "genius" that separates them (aside from McVay) but rather the ability to not be married to one concept and instead take their base offensive philosophy and adapt new concepts to it depending on the individual talents of the players they are coaching and how rule changes affect the game.

Nagy learned from Andy Reid who has managed to continue to change his offense depending on who his QB and use unique talents like Tyreke Hill in creative ways.  Thats really all Nagy is doing.  

So my question is, if McCarthy sits down in an interview and says that in hindsight he was too rigid in his lack of offensive creativity in GB and is going to continue to use his base principles that he used to develop Rogers (and matt hassleback) but also bring in a QB coach who can incorporate newer concepts that play to Sam's strengths - isn't that the same as "finding the next McVay" by bringing in someone like Matt LaFleur?

Even someone like Toub, who doesnt have an offensive background, has seen how Andy Reid has adapted and you would imagine when he looks for an OC, will value a coach who is wiling to adapt in the same way.  

Even Dan Campbell has worked with Zac Taylor in Miami (a great OC candidate if Campbell were hired) and spent 3 years with Sean Payton has said he like to play aggressive defense and run the ball to control the clock, but at the same time understands the need to hit big plays down the field.  Isn't that what we want?

I think the days of an OC taking 2-3 years to full install a west coast offense are over, and coaches today simply need to have learnable, attacking offenses that can change with their personnel and if thats the HCs philosophy, then you can hire a guy who might not be the most innovative offensive mind in the league.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Offense or defense doesn't matter. That pendulum swings every few years. 

It's aggressive and smart that matters 

Very true. 

More to the point, aggressive and smart as a HC.  There are lots of coordinators who when the calls ultimately are credited to the HC they work under are nowhere near as effective and aggressive as when they become a HC and will get the blame as the head man.  Look at Joe Walton, was much better at calling games as a OC than as a HC

I actually want a guy who doesn't call plays. I want a guy involved in all 3 phrases during the game

So the staff that the guy can hire is crucial 

Head coaches need a totally different skill set than coordinators 

That's why so many awesome coordinators fail 

We need an aggressive smart guy that can lead and motivate 

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

I actually want a guy who doesn't call plays. I want a guy involved in all 3 phrases during the game

That's why so awesome coordinators fail 

We need a aggressive smart guy that can lead and motivate 

Agreed. At this point, I care more about who the OC and DC will be, hoping baby face Brent Boyer stays on the team next year. And I hope the HC has experience with gamelans and management but will let the OC and DC do their job, and not handcuff them with conservatism like Bowles seems to do.

Also, I want the HC to have the huevos to fire and bench people that need to be fired and benched. Four years of Kacy Rodgers can't happen again. 

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Very true. 

More to the point, aggressive and smart as a HC.  There are lots of coordinators who when the calls ultimately are credited to the HC they work under are nowhere near as effective and aggressive as when they become a HC and will get the blame as the head man.  Look at Joe Walton, was much better at calling games as a OC than as a HC

absolutely right.  that's why i want the coach to know that rule book backwards and forwards and know how to lead.  when these guys get to that level they all know the x's and o's but they don't necessarily grasp the finer points of the game.  it's still a game of inches after all.

absolutely right about walton too.  the minute he took the top job he lost the reporte he had with todd.  todd was a pretty fragile guy and needed a qb coach/oc to smooth his feathers.

5 minutes ago, Drums said:

Agreed. At this point, I care more about who the OC and DC will be, hoping baby face Brent Boyer stays on the team next year. And I hope the HC has experience with gamelans and management but will let the OC and DC do their job, and not handcuff them with conservatism like Bowles seems to do.

Also, I want the HC to have the huevos to fire and bench people that need to be fired and benched. Four years of Kacy Rodgers can't happen again. 

5 minutes ago, Drums said:

Loyalty is an admirable trait, but it is more important to recognize when that loyalty is misguided. Rodgers has been a constant in the Jets futility. Bowles has to realize this this is a major factor for his dismal. It highlights his ineptitude as a HC.

At the end of the day defense wins championships. Having a HC come from either side of the ball should not change the objective.

The HC needs to manage the game to win, when to be conservative or not.

The good HC know when to take chances and not to.

JMO

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Larz said:

That's why so many awesome coordinators fail 

We need an aggressive smart guy that can lead and motivate 

Totally agree, thats why Campbell and Toub are my top choices.  They are both renowned for being respected by the players - both should be able to find good coordinators to join them, especially with the lure of Sam.

Archived