Pro Football Focus: Prime NFL cut candidates in the 2019 offseason

maury77

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The Giants set the precedent last year....Eli is bigger than the team. They will do what he wants. Period.

I think you can argue that was a reasonable (but not the best) 2018 plan for the Giants.   It is very hard to say that you are going to give up on making the playoffs (See below) to build for a better future.  To pass on Barkley was passing on the playoffs to draft a QB who would end up on the bench behind Eli.  But they were delusional to think they could make the playoffs with that roster.  

Gettleman was new, so it was not like he owned the existing roster.  Mara wanted to satisfy the Eli fans and be competitive.  Yes, NFL teams say its all about the Super Bowl, but making the playoffs is the primary goal-lots more money in that, and prestige.  

Not that the Jets are smart, but it is kind of like what the Jets did in 2016 too.  Drafted Lee to cover the wheel route.  Signed Fitz and kept Marshall.  

I think the Giants are running a split path.  They will keep Eli for one more year unless they can upgrade him.  Or they try to draft a QB and keep Eli as a backup.  The Giants should be looking to trade up for a QB this year, let Eli play ahead of him, and then move on.

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I don't think Jenkins is a good fit in the 4-3. Wouldn't be surprised if he's traded.

He's not ideal, but I think he could be a solid, hold the fort guy at Strong side backer. 

But doesn't Williams run a hybrid '46' Defense with multiple fronts? I think he could use Jenkins as a Sam or in a Calvin Pace edge setter role....

2 hours ago, varjet said:

If you look at the Jets 2009 roster (that went to the AFCCG) there were guys like Woody, Faneca, Tomlinson, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards on it.  Guys like that could be useful, if combined with a drafted core.

There are none of those caliber players on this list, unfortunately. We'll have to see what shakes out.  There'll be many more cuts to come for sure.

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He's not ideal, but I think he could be a solid, hold the fort guy at Strong side backer. 

But doesn't Williams run a hybrid '46' Defense with multiple fronts? I think he could use Jenkins as a Sam or in a Calvin Pace edge setter role....

The giants moved Kiwanuka to 4-3 OLB years ago.  Jenkins isn’t really a pass rusher his strength is playing the run

10 hours ago, section314 said:

The Giants set the precedent last year....Eli is bigger than the team. They will do what he wants. Period.

Eli had a good statistical season.  The giants OL sucked worse than the jets and their defense was bad

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Eli had a good statistical season.  The giants OL sucked worse than the jets and their defense was bad

All the points you make here are true, but we are talking apples and oranges. I'm not saying Eli isn't capable of preforming any longer, I'm pointing out that the Giants showed last year that when it comes to deciding what is in the best interests of the team going forward, that Eli will make it about him and not the team. Good luck to Gettleman in trying to convince John Mara otherwise.

Archived