Richie Anderson

Maxman

Ex-Jets' RB ready to coach

Sunday, January 29, 2006

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

A lot of NFL players have no intention of coaching after they retire. There are the hours, the pay, the obscurity ...

"I wasn't one of those players," Richie Anderson said this weekend. "I always paid attention to things like coaching. I didn't know why I saved all my plays, all my game plans, but I saved it all. One day you wake up and say, 'Maybe I want to do this.' "

Anderson, who played fullback for 10 seasons with the Jets and two more with the Cowboys, is in the neighborhood to talk with new Jets head coach Eric Mangini about a job, not for the high-profile offensive coordinator's post, but "for some position on the staff."

Running backs would be a natural fit, but since Anderson also lined up as a wide receiver and a tight end on occasion, and Mangini still is believed to have openings at those positions, who knows?

Anderson didn't play this season and almost wound up as an assistant on Bill Parcells' staff in Dallas.

"That never materialized," Anderson said, "but I respect Bill as much as any coach I've had in the league. I learned enough when I went there. I learned what I needed."

One position Anderson won't be coaching is offensive line. Team sources confirmed that coaching veteran Tony Wise has signed to coach Mangini's offensive linemen.

I would give Richie a shot. I would pass on Cox for LB coach though. He was also too much of a wildman. It is like making Smizzy a moderator. Can he ever truly be the establishment? Unlikely.

The fear about Mangini was his ability to get a staff together. And it looks like that fear was justified. The only good thing is the gag order. So at least they can do a bad job quietly!

I would give Richie a shot. I would pass on Cox for LB coach though. He was also too much of a wildman.

Cox had a rep for being a wildman, because he flipped the fans in Buffalo the bird. But I don't think he ever was tossed from a game, and I don't think he recieved any more or less penalties than other intense players did.

Off the field he always was a stand up guy.

he was one of my favorite players, and I always admired him as a person. I've always felt that he would one day make a great coach. I've said that for years. I hope he gets the opportunity. I know he as a history with Mangini- They won their first SB ring together.

Cox112798.jpg

I am not sold on Cox.

(If that isn't the post of the week, the award is clearly fixed).

Anyhow...is Cox going to put in the hours necessary? All year long? Being a good player doesn't mean squat when it comes to coaching. I think Cox is a little bit too outspoken to be an effective coach.

Cox under Mangini's gag order? Oh my.

I am not sold on Cox.

(If that isn't the post of the week, the award is clearly fixed).

Anyhow...is Cox going to put in the hours necessary? All year long? Being a good player doesn't mean squat when it comes to coaching. I think Cox is a little bit too outspoken to be an effective coach.

Cox under Mangini's gag order? Oh my.

Oh, come on now. POTW for a Cox joke. I don't have time for that childish stuff, Max.

Cox will be a good coach for one reason and one reason only - he's going to demand that his crew does things right. He did it as a player, he'll do it as a coach.

Anderson will be a GREAT RB coach - just a feeling. I always liked Richie Anderson - stand up guy and one or two fumbles away from being money. :flex:

Any man that was willing to play with an almost broken leg can coach for me any day. He was intense and knew what it took to win. I think he will get instinct respect from his players and knows the lb position as well as anyone.

He was tough. Not doubting that. But can he teach? Can he transform passion into konwledge for his players?

I am betting no.

I'm ready to take a chance on Cox. He is older and probably just as passionate, but not as wild and crazy as his younger days- anyway, does it get any crazier than a HC going after the RB coach on the sideline?

He is knowledgeable, a leader, and could back it up.

But more importantly, Cox and Sutton know each other, and Cox is a bud and disciple of Parcells, and will become a very good coach imho.

Id love to see Richie back on the sidelines. As for Cox,not sure what he would bring as far as coaching but he should would fire up that defense. He would be all over those guys.

I love that kind of intensity. He would have piledrived James Reed for punching Vilma.

You're right Max, it will be a big test for Cox and Anderson. I think they'll both pass.

LOL. I typed that to see if the new icons were working (to show what threads a user has posted in).

I forgot to go back and delete this. :)

I wish some Pats fans (with better memories than me) would chime in here.

I'm pretty sure he played a "mentor" , "coach" role with the Pats during their first superbowl? After the Denver lineman broke his leg?

I'm confident, in my belief, that Brian will make a good coach.

As Jet Moses alluded to earlier, off the field, he's a stand up guy.

Brian certainly speaks his mind, but more often than not, he's right.

I'm pretty sure he played a "mentor" , "coach" role with the Pats during their first superbowl? After the Denver lineman broke his leg?

Agreed about Brian. Just don't think that personality would fit in well in a supporting role (i.e. Assistant Coach).

Correct, he was a "mentor" while he was healing - healed fast, and came back to play in the playoff's - albeit, in a limited capacity. He IS leader - and if he REPECTS YOU, he'll will be a fantastic employee, yet there is also the possibility that he will "pop off." Since Mangini is from the BB coaching tree - respect is not an issue. I'm just not sure Cox can handle "today's" athlete or if he can play the political game (kiss Bradway and Woody's arse).

Archived