Baseball Trivia

The Crimson King

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

I knew that one and was giving others a chance. Vida Blue. CY, MVP but not ROY because he came up at 19 for a bit and had too much MLB time to qualify. His name came up a lot on '84 when Doc showed up 

I should have known that one, just could not get out of the mindset of thinking offensive players for MVPs.  Was about to guess Mike Trout, also thought about Fred Lynn & Mel Ott, but I don't think Ott ever won an MVP  Thanks for saving me the indignity of a couple more wrong answers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

I should have known that one, just could not get out of the mindset of thinking offensive players for MVPs.  Was about to guess Mike Trout, also thought about Mel Ott, but I don't think he ever won an MVP  Thanks for saving me the indignity of two more wrong answers.

Yep, that's what makes questions like that tough....

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Strasburg (112) is correct!

No on Lester.  Just 1 more!

Was the original question players with 100 + wins for the same team?  10 years with the Cubs and Sox, I am pretty sure Lester won more than 100, but not with one team.

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That was 2001.  And you're correct!  The Yankees won games 3, 4 and 5 in NYC but lost all 4 in the desert.  

In 2003 the Marlins beat the Yankees in 6.  That was the Josh Beckett series.

?That was the series when Michael Kay made Jeter Mr. November.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

By process of elimination....Not Dodgers,Giants, Reds(WS that year) Cards, Pirates. Leaves Braves, Cubs and Phillies. Doubt it's Braves. Leaves Cubs or Phillies. Since Phillies choked away the pennant in 1964, go with the Cubs.

It was the Phillies. 47-107 for the year, really bad pitching and no Bunning, Short or Richie (back then) Allen. IIRC (well at least from Strat-o-Matic), Pancho Herrera was their best hitter.

The '64 team was indeed interesting but not a strong as Cincinnati or St. Louis.  

• Sympathy 2

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You know what, you’re right. It was 100+ with the same team. So sorry!

We are still missing one guy, right.  How about Dallas Keuchel or Adam Wainwright.

Not sure if either was guessed already, but don't feel like scrolliing though the thread.

Remaining unanswered/partially answered questions:

3) It's well known that Babe Ruth hit the first ever All-Star game HR in 1933.  But what National League hitter blasted the 2nd and 3rd HR's in All-Star game history, in back to back years (1933 and '34)?

4) Name the only World Series MVP for a team that LOST the World Series.

5) The 2019 Astros became the 4th team in MLB history to win 3 straight World Series games yet still lose the series.  Can you name the 3 other teams that did it previously?  Answered partially correct by @section314 :  2001 Yankees

6) Mike Trout hit the most HR's for 1 team in the 2010s, with 285.  Who was next, with 272?  Answered correctly by @Lith:  Jose Bautista

8 ) 3 Expos/Nationals have hit 40+ HR's in a season in franchise history. Vlad Guerrero did it twice, and most recently Bryce Harper accomplished the feat in 2015.  But who hit the most HR's in a season in franchise history, with 46?

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remaining unanswered/partially answered questions:

3) It's well known that Babe Ruth hit the first ever All-Star game HR in 1933.  But what National League hitter blasted the 2nd and 3rd HR's in All-Star game history, in back to back years (1933 and '34)?

5) The 2019 Astros became the 4th team in MLB history to win 3 straight World Series games yet still lose the series.  Can you name the 3 other teams that did it previously?  Answered partially correct by @section314 :  2001 Yankees

6) Mike Trout hit the most HR's for 1 team in the 2010s, with 285.  Who was next, with 272?

8 ) 3 Expos/Nationals have hit 40+ HR's in a season in franchise history. Vlad Guerrero did it twice, and most recently Bryce Harper accomplished the feat in 2015.  But who hit the most HR's in a season in franchise history, with 46?

6. The one team aspect of this makes it a great question. Two guesses (which technically is trivia cheating but what the heck)

Davis (Chris, not Rajai)  or Cabrera (Miguel, not Asdrubal)

I think we need hints for the rest (and also #6 if it is neither Davis or Cabrera)

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

6. The one team aspect of this makes it a great question. Two guesses (which technically is trivia cheating but what the heck)

Davis (Chris, not Rajai)  or Cabrera (Miguel, not Asdrubal)

I think we need hints for the rest (and also #6 if it is neither Davis or Cabrera)

Not Davis or Cabrera!  Hints incoming in my next post.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

6) Mike Trout hit the most HR's for 1 team in the 2010s, with 285.  Who was next, with 272?

Hint for # 3:  This hitter reached the 1933-34 All Star games with the Cardinals.  He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1947.

Hint for # 4:  In this particular World Series, the series went 7 games, with the losing team outscoring the winning WS team by a margin of 55-27.  

Hint for # 5:  In one of these World Series in question, Todd Worrell picked up 2 Saves.  In the other, 2 Saves were earned by Rick Aguilera.  Aguilera also earned a Win and was saddled with a Loss in the series.

Hint for # 6:  This player (no longer active) spent career primarily with 2 teams (4.5 seasons with one, 9.5 seasons with another), but also played 1 year or less with 6 other teams:  Orioles, Rays, Royals, Braves, Mets and Phillies.

Hint for # 8:  This hitter also joined the 40-40 club (41 SB) in that 2006 season, making him just the 4th and most recent player in MLB history to accomplish the feat.

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hint for # 3:  This hitter reached the 1933-34 All Star games with the Cardinals.  He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1947.

Hint for # 4:  In this particular World Series, the series went 7 games, with the losing team outscoring the winning WS team by a margin of 55-27.  

Hint for # 5:  In one of these World Series in question, Todd Worrell picked up 2 Saves.  In the other, 2 Saves were earned by Rick Aguilera.  Aguilera also earned a Win and was saddled with a Loss in the series.

Hint for # 6:  This player (no longer active) spent career primarily with 2 teams (4.5 seasons with one, 9.5 seasons with another), but also played 1 year or less with 6 other teams:  Orioles, Rays, Royals, Braves, Mets and Phillies.

Hint for # 8:  This hitter also joined the 40-40 club (41 SB) in that 2006 season, making him just the 4th and most recent player in MLB history to accomplish the feat.

3.  Ducky Medwick?

4. 1960 Yankess v Pirates

6. Jose Bautista

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3).  Roger’s Hornsby.                               
4) Has to be on 1960 Yankees. Guess either Mantle , Maris or Whitey Ford.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not Ducky!

4.  Yes, but the question is asking who the MVP was!  :)

6.  Correct!

If not Ducky, then it had to be Frankie Frisch.  Pretty sure they were the only two HOFers in the Cards starting lineup in early 30s.  Hornsby would have been a Cub by then.  If not Frisch, I am stumped.

4 -- Lost track of the questions.  Thought this was a team that won 3 straight.  Not sure who the MVP was -- I know Bobby Richardson went off in a Series.  Was it this one -- Mantle, Maris and Berra are too obvious.  Gonna guess Richardson.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

If not Ducky, then it had to be Frankie Frisch.  Pretty sure they were the only two HOFers in the Cards starting lineup in early 30s.  Hornsby would have been a Cub by then.  If not Frisch, I am stumped.

4 -- Lost track of the questions.  Thought this was a team that won 3 straight.  Not sure who the MVP was -- I know Bobby Richardson went off in a Series.  Was it this one -- Mantle, Maris and Berra are too obvious.  Gonna guess Richardson.

Frankie Frisch is correct!  Well done!

Bobby Richardson is correct!  Also well done!

Just 2 remaining questions!

5) The 2019 Astros became the 4th team in MLB history to win 3 straight World Series games yet still lose the series.  Can you name the 3 other teams that did it previously?  Answered partially correct by @section314 :  2001 Yankees

*** HINTS ***

Hint for # 8:  This hitter also joined the 40-40 club (41 SB) in the same season he hit 46 HR, making him just the 4th and most recent player in MLB history to accomplish the feat.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Frankie Frisch is correct!  Well done!

Bobby Richardson is correct!  Also well done!

Thanks.  If it wasn't Frisch, my next guess was gonna be Dizzy Dean; but that would have been even too much of a curve ball for you to have thrown at us.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

Next guess was gonna be Galaraga, but he was slow as sh*t.? This is tough, but when the answer comes,, we'll all feel like dopes.

I agree.  This one has me stumped.  I have no idea who might have gone 40-40 for the Nats in 06.  There are not a lot of 40-40 guys, so yeah, I think we are both gonna feel stupid when he tells us who it is.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  This one has me stumped.  I have no idea who might have gone 40-40 for the Nats in 06.  There are not a lot of 40-40 guys, so yeah, I think we are both gonna feel stupid when he tells us who it is.

I know...was trying to think about the 2006 Mets season, but barely even remember them playing the Nats. It's gonna be somebody like a Jason Wirth type of guy.

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

I know...was trying to think about the 2006 Mets season, but barely even remember them playing the Nats. It's gonna be somebody like a Jason Wirth type of guy.

@The Crimson King any last guesses on this one?  Figure its about time to give the answer!