Why offensive struggles are never just the issue of a few people

This article by Geoff Schwartz(former Giant, Chief, Panther OL) is about the Patriots offensive struggles and more specifically against the Titans, but I think it is very relatable to the Jets. It's a VERY good read if you have the time.

It highlights how it's never just one guy, whether it be the coach, QB, OL or whatever. It's easy to play the blame game with the Jets offense this season, but it really is just a collection of guys constantly making things harder on themselves 

I would have pasted the article, but it's very long with several imbedded videos. Schwartz breaks down 10 key plays and it is incredibly informative for those who like that.  The tweet containing the article is below.  Good stuff.

Sure, but in the Pats' case, its far more difficult for things to go right when your QB is 43 and doesn't have arm strength anymore.  It makes your margin for error incredibly small.  You always need to string together 12+ play drives to score.  Similar to the Pennington-led Jets.  

Plus, cheating. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

and if the patsies can't get their oline right with scarnecchia and the bellichicken how on earth can anyone expect the jets oline to be good with their assortment of journeymen?  it takes time for an oline to play together and it takes game time.

I think this part gets very overlooked.  Time together matters, the OL needs to work as one....We kept plugging guys in and out - changing positions, injuries etc...it’s impossible to be successful that way.

The upside of that is we might have a couple of quality guys, but they just couldn’t get the unit working well.  Hopefully there is one or two that are keepers with some better support and consistency.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but in the Pats' case, its far more difficult for things to go right when your QB is 43 and doesn't have arm strength anymore.  It makes your margin for error incredibly small.  You always need to string together 12+ play drives to score.  Similar to the Pennington-led Jets.  

Plus, cheating. 

OL is more important when the QB is as mobile as a stop sign.

Don't forget the cheats* big plays - penalties; deep pass DPI and D holding on 3rd and long.

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this part gets very overlooked.  Time together matters, the OL needs to work as one....We kept plugging guys in and out - changing positions, injuries etc...it’s impossible to be successful that way.

The upside of that is we might have a couple of quality guys, but they just couldn’t get the unit working well.  Hopefully there is one or two that are keepers with some better support and consistency.

right.  coaches gotta coach but the players have to have a certain level of ability to get the job done.  i suppose it can be argued that gase was trying to have the oline players do something they weren't able to do but at the same time they seemed to look pretty good as a unit in pre-season so they should've come out of the box ready to play better.  to this point bell didn't play in pre-season so maybe they didn't fully understand bell's run style.