Calling all Mets fans

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 7:32 AM, section314 said:

Tonight at 7PM, WFAN is broadcasting game #2 of the 1969 WS. Pregame show with Howie Rose at 6;30. Pour yourself a cold Rhinegold and enjoy.?

If I remember correctly, the O's beat Seaver and took the first game. The Amazin's get the win in Game 2 behind Kooz, then went on to take the Series in 5?

• Sympathy 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Being a fan of one is moronic but being a fan of both teams is just psychotic. 

- Hey! We have Jan 1969 and Oct 1986 !!!!

- Uh, one was 51 years ago and the other nearly 34

- But, but .. (twitch) … 

- Now , there there, here, have a twinkie and some hot cocoa

- (head down) OK ,, (munch, slurp)

- Feel better?

- … (twitch) … (21st Century Schizoid Man playing in head)

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

- Hey! We have Jan 1969 and Oct 1986 !!!!

- Uh, one was 51 years ago and the other nearly 34

- But, but .. (twitch) … 

- Now , there there, here, have a twinkie and some hot cocoa

- (head down) OK ,, (munch, slurp)

- Feel better?

- … (twitch) … (21st Century Schizoid Man playing in head)

2 WS Championships and 5 appearnces is not all that bad, at least for those of us old enough to have seen them. 

But when I think about myself as a fan, I had it pretty good when I was growing up.  By the time I was 25 years old, I got to see the Mets win 2x, the Islanders win 4x, Jets win once and the Knicks 2x.  Even got to see my undergrad college basketball team make a Cinderella appearance in the Final 4 (Penn Quakers in 1979, until we ran into Magic Johnson and Michigan State). 

And since then, the last 35 years, nothing, nada, zilch.

Couple of close calls.  Was in Wrigley when the Mets swept the Cubs in 2015.  Made a bucket list trip out to Pasadena to see the Dawgs win the Rose Bowl a few years ago.  While those were great experiences at the time, they both ring a bit hollow since neither team sealed the deal in the next step.

At least you know we are not bandwagoners.  Been around these teams forever, and we are not going anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 5/27/2020 at 5:32 PM, Lith said:

2 WS Championships and 5 appearnces is not all that bad, at least for those of us old enough to have seen them. 

But when I think about myself as a fan, I had it pretty good when I was growing up.  By the time I was 25 years old, I got to see the Mets win 2x, the Islanders win 4x, Jets win once and the Knicks 2x.  Even got to see my undergrad college basketball team make a Cinderella appearance in the Final 4 (Penn Quakers in 1979, until we ran into Magic Johnson and Michigan State). 

And since then, the last 35 years, nothing, nada, zilch.

Couple of close calls.  Was in Wrigley when the Mets swept the Cubs in 2015.  Made a bucket list trip out to Pasadena to see the Dawgs win the Rose Bowl a few years ago.  While those were great experiences at the time, they both ring a bit hollow since neither team sealed the deal in the next step.

At least you know we are not bandwagoners.  Been around these teams forever, and we are not going anywhere.

Tony price was a player.They beat St. John's in the east final, correct?

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, section314 said:

Chuck Daly was the coach?

No.  Pretty sure Daly was already a Sixers assistant by that time.  Bob Weinhauer was the HC -- went on to Arizona State after his success at Penn.

Just now, Lith said:

No.  Pretty sure Daly was already a Sixers assistant by that time.  Bob Weinhauer was the HC -- went on to Arizona State after his success at Penn.

That’s right. People don’t realize how good that team was. You listed the guys they beat.They ran into a team that probably could have given a few NBA teams a beating.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

That’s right. People don’t realize how good that team was. You listed the guys they beat.They ran into a team that probably could have given a few NBA teams a beating.

It is over 40 years ago, but if I remember that game.  Mich State in the national semis, we fell behind big in the first half because we couldn't hit a shot.  Nothing was dropping. We had good looks, good ball movement, got open shots but nothing fell.  Fell behind big early and could not make it a game.  

I may be biased, but I still consider that the greatest Final Four ever.  Magic v Bird for the first time.  Mark Aguirre and a really good Depaul team coached by Ray Meyer in first Final Four in over 35 years.  And the Cinderella from the Ivy League.  Final Four can't get any better than that.

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Being a fan of one is moronic but being a fan of both teams is just psychotic. 

I'm very thankful my family is a Yankee family, I can't imagine the pain of being both a Jets and Mets fan.  I feel for those folks.

13 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

So J.Lo and A.Rod are bidding for the Mets?

If they win it's the final nail in the coffin, I'm done with them after alllllll these years and sooooo many games (and soooo much #$%$ money)

no big deal. they ruined this game already anyway

Is that still a possibliity.  I heard that a while ago and thought it was dead.  Has been reported in teh last day or two that David Blitzer and Josh Harris (Sixers/Devils owners) are considering a bid.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Is that still a possibliity.  I heard that a while ago and thought it was dead.  Has been reported in teh last day or two that David Blitzer and Josh Harris (Sixers/Devils owners) are considering a bid.

Thought I saw that they were the competitors

This might be dated. Please tell me that there has been an update

By Connor Byrne | May 29, 2020 at 8:28pm CDT

Three weeks ago, it appeared Alex Rodriguez no longer had any hope of purchasing the Mets. However, it now looks as if he and famous fiancee Jennifer Lopez have re-entered the picture. According to Thornton McEnery of the New York Post, Rodriguez, Lopez and some of JPMorgan Chase’s “very senior bankers” are working on putting together a bid to buy the franchise from current owners Fred Wilpon and Jeff Wilpon.

This is clearly a serious attempt from Rodriguez and Lopez, who McEnery hears are putting in “hundreds of millions” of their own dollars to land the Mets. It’s unclear exactly who else would be part of a Rodriguez-Lopez ownership group – Wayne Rothbaum was said to be in the mix earlier, but it doesn’t seem that’s the case anymore – though they have been talking with New England Patriots owners Bob Kraft and Jonathan Kraft. The Krafts don’t want to buy a baseball team, yet they’re “very intrigued” with the plans Rodriguez and Lopez have to breathe new life into Citi Field and its surrounding areas, McEnery details in his piece.

Regardless of whether the Krafts do accompany Rodriguez and Lopez, a source told McEnery that “the money is there,” that “a bid is coming,” and odds are the Mets will go for less than $2 billion if they do change hands. Furthermore, while the Wilpons have been reluctant to give up any part of the SNY television network in a sale, it seems they’re more open to it now. The Wilpons would still want to keep some portion of SNY in giving up the Mets, however, McEnery reports.

The coronavirus shutdown could continue to lead to major financial losses for the Wilpons, who may reportedly lose up to $150MM even during a half-season. That could increase their urgency to sell the team, and it now looks possible that Rodriguez and Lopez will swoop in if the Wilpons do step away.

21 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Thought I saw that they were the competitors

This might be dated. Please tell me that there has been an update

By Connor Byrne | May 29, 2020 at 8:28pm CDT

Three weeks ago, it appeared Alex Rodriguez no longer had any hope of purchasing the Mets. However, it now looks as if he and famous fiancee Jennifer Lopez have re-entered the picture. According to Thornton McEnery of the New York Post, Rodriguez, Lopez and some of JPMorgan Chase’s “very senior bankers” are working on putting together a bid to buy the franchise from current owners Fred Wilpon and Jeff Wilpon.

This is clearly a serious attempt from Rodriguez and Lopez, who McEnery hears are putting in “hundreds of millions” of their own dollars to land the Mets. It’s unclear exactly who else would be part of a Rodriguez-Lopez ownership group – Wayne Rothbaum was said to be in the mix earlier, but it doesn’t seem that’s the case anymore – though they have been talking with New England Patriots owners Bob Kraft and Jonathan Kraft. The Krafts don’t want to buy a baseball team, yet they’re “very intrigued” with the plans Rodriguez and Lopez have to breathe new life into Citi Field and its surrounding areas, McEnery details in his piece.

Regardless of whether the Krafts do accompany Rodriguez and Lopez, a source told McEnery that “the money is there,” that “a bid is coming,” and odds are the Mets will go for less than $2 billion if they do change hands. Furthermore, while the Wilpons have been reluctant to give up any part of the SNY television network in a sale, it seems they’re more open to it now. The Wilpons would still want to keep some portion of SNY in giving up the Mets, however, McEnery reports.

The coronavirus shutdown could continue to lead to major financial losses for the Wilpons, who may reportedly lose up to $150MM even during a half-season. That could increase their urgency to sell the team, and it now looks possible that Rodriguez and Lopez will swoop in if the Wilpons do step away.

Let them keep a portion of SNY, but that's it. Nothing more to do with anything regarding the day to day operations of the team. Period. Also, as a Mets/Jets guy, would find it repugnant to having Kraft involved in any way.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...