Eagles Phillies Can’t Have Fans In Stands

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2020/07/coronavirus-update-eagles-phillies-cant-have-fans-in-the-stands-as-philadelphia-bans-large-events-for-6-months.html

If the Philadelphia Phillies and Philadelphia Eagles play their seasons in 2020, they will do so without fans in the stands because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The city of Philadelphia announced Tuesday a ban on large events for six months. KYW Newsradio, which broke the news, reported the ban will remain in effect until Feb. 8, 2021. According to the report, the ban doesn’t affect “performance venues and stadiums, so that would allow some professional sports possibly to return.”

Introducing Eagles Extra: Sign up for a free trial now. Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

However, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports Health Commissioner Thomas Farley said “the protocols for the major sports leagues ‘look pretty good’ but having spectators would not be safe.” So no fans in the stands for the Eagles and Phillies.

“I do think that games can be played with the kind of safety precautions that they’re proposing. I do not think that they can have spectators at those games. There’s no way for them to be safe having a crowd there,” Farley said. “I can’t say what the plans are for the league, but from a safety perspective, they can play games but not [have] crowds.”

“The Eagles are still going to be allowed to play, although without crowds. The Phillies will continue to be allowed to play, although without crowds,” Managing Director Brian Abernathy said.

Buy coronavirus face coverings: MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA

The Phillies currently are using Citizens Bank Park for spring training 2.0. They are scheduled to open the coronavirus-shortened 60-game regular season on Friday, July 24 when they host the Miami Marlins.

The Eagles’ first regular-season home game at Lincoln Financial Field is scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 20 against the Los Angeles Rams.

CORONAVIRUS RESOURCES: Live map tracker | Newsletter | Homepage

Tuesday’s announcement by the city of Philadelphia comes as the U.S. continues to see a surge in COVID-19 cases nationwide. According to Johns Hopkins University, more than three million Americans have been diagnosed with the coronavirus.

As a result, New Jersey on Tuesday added four states to its coronavirus quarantine travel advisory list. The commonwealth of Pennsylvania is not among the 22 states listed.

Get Eagles text messages from reporters:Cut through the clutter of social media and text directly with the Eagles beat writers. Plus, exclusive news and analysis every day.Sign up now for a free trial.ok

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile the Patriots will be limiting seating to 20 % capacity:  https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-reduce-seating-capacity-to-20-percent-for-2020-season

Meanwhile it means nothing in July.  Things will change one way or another by September.  You know how this is playing out.  Teams aren’t playing with fans, some without fans, some at 20% when all is said and done.

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Meanwhile it means nothing in July.  Things will change one way or another by September.  You know how this is playing out.  Teams aren’t playing with fans, some without fans, some at 20% when all is said and done.

There’s a NASCAR event in Tennessee tomorrow that will have 30K ppl there and one this weekend in Texas at 50% capacity which will be about 60K people. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There’s a NASCAR event in Tennessee tomorrow that will have 30K ppl there and one this weekend in Texas at 50% capacity which will be about 60K people. 

And Covid is running wild in Texas so maybe not the greatest idea

• Upvote 2

This would be a good policy for Philly sports fans going forward in 2021 and beyond. Though maybe we just misjudge them and they're truly the most progressive fan base in America. They took the original stand against racist mascots.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-fans-are-the-absolute-worst-and-here-are-9-times-they-proved-it/

Eagles fans beat up Chief Zee

If you're an opposing mascot or superfan, don't go to Philadelphia. No matter what you think about Zema Williams (or Chief Zee), the Redskins' controversial unofficial mascot starting in 1978, he didn't deserve to get beat up for being a fan. But, in 1983, that's exactly what happened. Chief Zee went to Veterans Stadium in a game that the Eagles lost by 10 points. He responded by taunting the Eagles' fans. They didn't take kindly to that.

During the game, Williams was attacked in the stands. His clothes were torn and the feathers that he wore in his headdress were ripped out and tossed. In the parking lot, however, things escalated. Williams was attacked by four people -- the same two from the stands and another two -- and assaulted. They broke his leg and Williams was wheelchair bound for the year. Williams tried to go back to Veterans Field the year after that, but after a woman threw a beer at his face, he didn't return.
chief-zee-passes-away.jpg

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

And Covid is running wild in Texas so maybe not the greatest idea

We’ll see. But no one seems to agree on how to judge performance. A positive test now with the new median age is different from when it was running through NY.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We’ll see. But no one seems to agree on how to judge performance. A positive test now with the new median age is different from when it was running through NY.

The issue as I see it is not whether one person gets sick. If it was a situation where if you ignore the protocols and only you could get the virus and possibly die well then go for it. I wouldn't personally play Russian Roulette with a 1000 barrell revolver either but that would be your choice. The issue is that if you get the virus you will likely spread it to others and they could be elderly people and others much more apt to die. So choosing to expose yourself to the virus is not a personal decision as it can have literally fatal effects on others.

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The issue as I see it is not whether one person gets sick. If it was a situation where if you ignore the protocols and only you could get the virus and possibly die well then go for it. I wouldn't personally play Russian Roulette with a 1000 barrell revolver either but that would be your choice. The issue is that if you get the virus you will likely spread it to others and they could be elderly people and others much more apt to die. So choosing to expose yourself to the virus is not a personal decision as it can have literally fatal effects on others.

Sure but at what point do you examine the mortality rate and then make a decision that the cost of shutting down the economy isn’t worth it. Everyone agrees people dying sucks and is bad. The mortality rate in many states isn’t spiking it’s dropping. The biggest error was exposing the at-risk population early in the game. At some point you can’t have everything on pause anymore. The Hong Kong flu killed 100k people and the country remained open. You need to balance protecting the highest at risk folks while also keeping the economy moving. Schools need a plan to reopen especially.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sure but at what point do you examine the mortality rate and then make a decision that the cost of shutting down the economy isn’t worth it. Everyone agrees people dying sucks and is bad. The mortality rate in many states isn’t spiking it’s dropping. The biggest error was exposing the at-risk population early in the game. At some point you can’t have everything on pause anymore. The Hong Kong flu killed 100k people and the country remained open. You need to balance protecting the highest at risk folks while also keeping the economy moving. Schools need a plan to reopen especially.

I get it, but if the country stayed open, an order of magnitude or greater of people would have died in the US and still might. If we had leadership and came together on this issue we could have been successful like almost every other country and truly be getting back to normal lives at this point. But we became divided and somehow it became a political issue and choice between trading hundreds of thousands of lives for "the economy"  The economy will recover dead people would just be dead. And you could suspend the economy without destroying it by pausing loans, rents and eliminating evictions until the virus has passed, providing aid to the furloughed and unemployed helping truly needy businesses with aid. But we didn't. I just cannot personally get behind the thought that just giving up on the lives of millions of people to save the economy short term is a viable trade. We did half measures and now we are just in a horrible place.

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I get it, but if the country stayed open, an order of magnitude or greater of people would have died in the US and still might. If we had leadership and came together on this issue we could have been successful like almost every other country and truly be getting back to normal lives at this point. But we became divided and somehow it became a political issue and choice between trading hundreds of thousands of lives for "the economy"  The economy will recover dead people would just be dead. And you could suspend the economy without destroying it by pausing loans, rents and eliminating evictions until the virus has passed, providing aid to the furloughed and unemployed helping truly needy businesses with aid. But we didn't. I just cannot personally get behind the thought that just giving up on the lives of millions of people to save the economy short term is a viable trade. We did half measures and now we are just in a horrible place.

Sure but the mortality rate is nosediving as is the median age of a positive test. States trying to get back to normal with schools/events etc was going to eventually happen. If certain states want to remain locked down but allow protests then I guess that’s their call.

52 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t doubt it

For one thing, as I said, it’s July.  None of use knows what September will bring. Secondly, there isn’t a chance that the owners will allow teams in states that allow fans to attend to have the advantage of fans in the stands while other teams play in empty stadiums without that home field advantage 

Thats what I was addressing, not whether fans will ever be in the stands for sporting events

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don’t doubt it

For one thing, as I said, it’s July.  None of use knows what September will bring. Secondly, there isn’t a chance that the owners will allow teams in states that allow fans to attend to have the advantage of fans in the stands while other teams play in empty stadiums without that home field advantage 

Thats what I was addressing, not whether fans will ever be in the stands for sporting events

Right. Fans in stands is political theater at the moment. A lot of time between now and week 1.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sure but the mortality rate is nosediving as is the median age of a positive test. States trying to get back to normal with schools/events etc was going to eventually happen. If certain states want to remain locked down but allow protests then I guess that’s their call.

No state should ever force children into a situation that could kill them. And children are not immune even if the chance is low. We will have to agree to disagree. Even "nosediving" it is way more dangerous than the flu.

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No state should ever force children into a situation that could kill them. And children are not immune even if the chance is low. We will have to agree to disagree. Even "nosediving" it is way more dangerous than the flu.

I’ll have to look it up but was is the current mortality rate for K-12 children and then what is it vs the flu?