State of The Jets

On 7/28/2020 at 3:08 PM, GreenFish said:

Pretty straight forward response by Gase. Can’t argue with his logic.

Translation: We got one hell of a haul of draft picks, a starter who has 5 times the interceptions as Mr. 2-Pick, and got rid of a pain in the ass locker room distraction. It's like Christmas in July. Thank you for all these Prezents. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peebag said:

I would like to see a 8 game season with an expanded playoff roster similar to what happened in '82.

I just think they should have pushed back everything a lot. I am not sure of 8 but 12 games over 16 weeks seems like a way to allow for any surges in Covid and rescheduling games/

I like Jets chances this year because...

Sam Darnold...is the best QB in the AFCE.  

Newton ain't Newton anymore.  And El Stid ain't El Cid.  Pats are in decline and won't make the playoffs.  They couldn't clinch 2nd seed in Foxborough against lowly Fins.  Nor score enough to punch by the Titans in playoffs at home either. That's not all on Brady...who simply got too old to erase the deficiencies in the Pats impotent offense.  They're done...at least for 2020.   It's payback time...Jets sweep here too.

Bills...will be Moselyed twice into submission by the Jets.  As CJ takes up where he left off...dominating the bills...before being interupted through injury in last year's opener.  And the buddy matchup between Allen vs Darnold will be a disappointment...for Bill fans.  As Josh...who just doesn't see the field very well...coughs up INTs and finds it much more difficult to beat well prepared opposing defenses with his legs this year.  Alas...just like Mayfield and the Browns couldn't live up to 2019-20 expectations...so will Josh and the Bills succumb to the pressures too.  

Do the Fins have their FQB  on the roster?  Is Tua the answer?  Or are they in the hunt for Lawrence in next year's draft?  Jets fans said "suck for Sam". Fins hope they don't have to "lose for Lawrence."  It took a Namath to lead Jets to the Lombardi Trophy.  And Marino...was the last QB to land Fins in the Supe.  And it hasn't happened for either team since both QBs departed.  So I'm not worried about the Fins at all.   We beat them twice this year too.

Nor worried about Darnold...as are some Jets fans.  After battling mono for at least half a season.  Then finish 6-2...with a sh!!!t-show on offense...that clinched it for me.  Monoless Darnold will have a big breakout this year.  He's got good enough weapons to succeed.  Herdon's return is a huge plus right there. He's talented and can be a big facter at the TE position.  Herndon had good chemistry with Darnold.  Griffin and Darnold also developed  good chemistry .  Darnold also connected seamlessly with Crowder too.  Crowder will probably catch 80+ balls this year. How about with the departed Robbie?  Bell had 60+ catches too.  Starting to get the picture?  Darnold is a good chemist. He's cooks up good chemistry in those practice lab sessions.  For me...Darnold is the answer for FQB NYJ.  He gonna have a big year.

Now...can Perriman take up where he left off with last year's torrid finish? Darnold will play a part in answering that for sure.  IMO...Mims is vastly underrated.  Especially when it comes to his route running abilities.  People judged that aspect of his game based on what his college coaches asked him to do.  This year..all will see what an expanded route tree...this once former high school QB is capable of executing.  Besides being athletically gifted.  Mims is smart and instinctive...with a chip on his shoulder.  I've seen plenty of film on him.  Mims got the work ethic and talent to surprise in his rookie year. Darnold...the chemist...pitching it to Mims will have Jets fans soon forgetting the departed Robbie.  

The pass catching abilities of the RB unit is pretty solid too.  Bell is one of the best ever pass catching backs.  Gore in his prime was very capable too.  And in a limited role should be effective.  Perine is a complete back.  As he can effectively pass protect and has good downfield pass catching skills.  Wouldn't be surprised if he has a significant role in the offense...especially by the 2nd half of the season.

IMO the OL has been sufficiently upgraded.  Enough to be no worse then adequate for a mobile QB like Darnold to run the offense effectively.  To score enough points and maintain time of possession...to compliment GW's defense.  This year...Jets will win their share of games on offense...and not leave it all up to their talented D.  The running game should improve too.   Becton probably will start off being more effective in the run game based on his pure size and athletic ability. Then get better as a pass protector as gets reps and gains experience...refining his techniques.  But make no mistake he could be King out there on that football field.  He's a Beast.  Jets have experienced competent vets like Roten and  McGovern...who know how to survive out there.   Fant is big fast and athletic.  A couple of years ago was going to be handed the LT position.  But got injured and out for the season.  He has the upside to be a dominant player.   Based on last year's play Lewis deserves to start.  Edoga and Cameron Clark could be future starters and are solid depth pieces.  Winters is still around.  As insurance or to legitimately compete for a starting job...I don't know.  You'd think he'd be cut and Jets sign an aditional player or two.

On the D side...

The wiley GW will cook up blitz dishes...that won't leave you with that bad taste in your mouth...from almost swallowing your Adams apple (?). 
No sophmore jinx for QW.  I expect a productive good year from him.   Minimum...6-8 sacks and lots of pressures...hits, and TFLs.  All while being doubled teamed.  And nobody is going to run effectively with McClendon-Fatukasi-Shepherd-Phillips on the DL.  Hopefully...Anderson can recapture the play he flahed as a pass rusher in his first year.

Maye...should be ready to have a really good year.  Maye has an opportunity to shine and make his case to get an extension with Jets.  Or else he's auditioning for some other team.   McDougald is versatile...experienced and capable.  And does have better range then Adams.  So he should be a solid asset for shoring up the secondary's pass defense.  Ashtyn Davis may benefit from JA's departure with more reps and a bigger role both in pass defense and in blitz packages.  I have high hopes for this player but no one knows for sure if Davis just flashes us a glimpse of what he can do next year and beyond.  Or is a very pleasant surprise this year.  Hopefully by the 2nd half of the season he really comes on and makes an impact.

Again...GW is a master chef...that can cook up blitz packages that will compliment a player's skills.  He'll utilize the young talents acquired this year as niche players in his blitz schemes.  Bryce Huff was very effective in college rushing the passer.  He was 4th in the nation with 64 pressures.  Zuniga has the talent to some day get 10+ sacks.  But for right now...he simply needs to stay healthy and get the reps he needs.  To fill his role as a pass rusher and begin to relize that potential.  Jenkins should get his usual 7-8 sacks.  And Basham will contribute too.  

With Adams and his substantial contract no longer on the horizon.  Clowney becoming a Jet this year is very appealing.  Give him a 1 year incentive laden contract, and let's see if he can be schemed by GW to get his first 10+ sack season as a NYJ.  I'd be all on board with that.  Makes the D a Top 5 one.   

Shame...Mosely never got to evolve as a force in the D due to injuries.  But in that opener against the Bills...he was dominating.  Can't wait to see more from him.  And see CJ...along with the return of the also injured Williamson...as a tandom...wrecking havoc on that football field.  

Desir is a capable corner.  Brian Poole solid in the slot.  Bless Austin could be ready to claim the other starting corner.  I'm very high on the talents of Bryce Hall.  Hope he's fully healthy to play right now   Quincy Wilson should be a valuable depth piece  that can start if called upon.  Still expect this unit to add a veteran before start of season.  

Adam Gase...

I've said this several times.  I have no dog in this fight on whether Gase is a bum or the next Vince Lombardi.  My hunch he's neither.  

Parcells once salvaged a once 1-7 Jets team into finishing the season at 8-8. Many said this was probably the best coaching of his career.  He brought back a dispirited Jets team.  One that was a favorite to land in the Supe.  Instead... completely collapsed...when Vinny Testaverde ruptured his Achilles in the first game of the season.   Everyone applauded Parcells coaching...that lead the team to a 7-1 finsh.  

Gase had a whole bunch of players go down for the season...or for long stretches of it.  Especially the entire OL with a slew of injuries all season long.  CJ gone...Williamson gone...Herndon gone...Osemele good riddance...etc.  Oh...don't forget...also Darnold out with mono and weakened for at least half the season.  Yet with all this occurring...Gase gets close to zero credit for the 6-2 finish to the season.  Practically no pleasant smiles and good job kudos here in JetsLand. 

Many Jets fans have hope...that Perriman may have turned around his career...with his strong finish to last season.  But that kind of reaction to Gase...for the Jets strong finish to the season is almost completely dismissed.  Little indication that maybe his coaching career may have come to a positive turn around too?  It's as if Gase...as HC NYJ didn't exist.  Didn't hold the team together.  Didn't help the players pick themselves off the canvas...and rally for a surprising 6-2 finish. Ending the season with strong positive vibes for perhaps a promising upcoming season.  Positivity should abound when you're  a  little thought of banged up dispirited team...that can finish a season like that.  Apparrently not for the Gase coached NYJ. 

Then there's my curiosity...about Peyton Manning enthusiastically swearing how impressive an offensive mind Gase possesses.   IMO...there's significantly enough upgrades and potential player development-improvements to this team.  To allow us to find out...if the lightbulb went on in those darkest moments of last year...and Gase has "turned his career around".   I give him no excuses.  This team should at least seriously compete for the AFCE.   That's the minimum I expect.     

Maybe Darnold "turned his career around" too.  Maybe the lightbulb went on in his head...in those darkest ghost seeing moments. Now he's poised and enlightened enough...to QB  Jets to the AFCE title.  Whether it's 10-6...11-5...9-7...IMO...it's gonna happen.  And when it does...Darnold deserves the credit.  So does JD...and GW...and Gase and his CS too. 

Again...IMO...Jets win the AFCE.  Cause Jets have the QB.

And the most deserving fans in football.  

It's our time! 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Newton ain't Newton anymore.  And El Stid ain't El Cid.  Pats are in decline and won't make the playoffs.  They couldn't clinch 2nd seed in Foxborough against lowly Fins.  Nor score enough to punch by the Titans in playoffs at home either. That's not all on Brady...who simply got too old to erase the deficiencies in the Pats impotent offense.  They're done...at least for 2020.   It's payback time...Jets sweep here too.

Bills...will be Moselyed twice into submission by the Jets.  As CJ takes up where he left off...dominating the bills...before being interupted through injury in last year's opener.  And the buddy matchup between Allen vs Darnold will be a disappointment...for Bill fans.  As Josh...who just doesn't see the field very well...coughs up INTs and finds it much more difficult to beat well prepared opposing defenses with his legs this year.  Alas...just like Mayfield and the Browns couldn't live up to 2019-20 expectations...so will Josh and the Bills succumb to the pressures too.  

Do the Fins have their FQB  on the roster?  Is Tua the answer?  Or are they in the hunt for Lawrence in next year's draft?  Jets fans said "suck for Sam". Fins hope they don't have to "lose for Lawrence."  It took a Namath to lead Jets to the Lombardi Trophy.  And Marino...was the last QB to land Fins in the Supe.  And it hasn't happened for either team since both QBs departed.  So I'm not worried about the Fins at all.   We beat them twice this year too.

Nor worried about Darnold...as are some Jets fans.  After battling mono for at least half a season.  Then finish 6-2...with a sh!!!t-show on offense...that clinched it for me.  Monoless Darnold will have a big breakout this year.  He's got good enough weapons to succeed.  Herdon's return is a huge plus right there. He's talented and can be a big facter at the TE position.  Herndon had good chemistry with Darnold.  Griffin and Darnold also developed  good chemistry .  Darnold also connected seamlessly with Crowder too.  Crowder will probably catch 80+ balls this year. How about with the departed Robbie?  Bell had 60+ catches too.  Starting to get the picture?  Darnold is a good chemist. He's cooks up good chemistry in those practice lab sessions.  For me...Darnold is the answer for FQB NYJ.  He gonna have a big year.

Now...can Perriman take up where he left off with last year's torrid finish? Darnold will play a part in answering that for sure.  IMO...Mims is vastly underrated.  Especially when it comes to his route running abilities.  People judged that aspect of his game based on what his college coaches asked him to do.  This year..all will see what an expanded route tree...this once former high school QB is capable of executing.  Besides being athletically gifted.  Mims is smart and instinctive...with a chip on his shoulder.  I've seen plenty of film on him.  Mims got the work ethic and talent to surprise in his rookie year. Darnold...the chemist...pitching it to Mims will have Jets fans soon forgetting the departed Robbie.  

The pass catching abilities of the RB unit is pretty solid too.  Bell is one of the best ever pass catching backs.  Gore in his prime was very capable too.  And in a limited role should be effective.  Perine is a complete back.  As he can effectively pass protect and has good downfield pass catching skills.  Wouldn't be surprised if he has a significant role in the offense...especially by the 2nd half of the season.

IMO the OL has been sufficiently upgraded.  Enough to be no worse then adequate for a mobile QB like Darnold to run the offense effectively.  To score enough points and maintain time of possession...to compliment GW's defense.  This year...Jets will win their share of games on offense...and not leave it all up to their talented D.  The running game should improve too.   Becton probably will start off being more effective in the run game based on his pure size and athletic ability. Then get better as a pass protector as gets reps and gains experience...refining his techniques.  But make no mistake he could be King out there on that football field.  He's a Beast.  Jets have experienced competent vets like Roten and  McGovern...who know how to survive out there.   Fant is big fast and athletic.  A couple of years ago was going to be handed the LT position.  But got injured and out for the season.  He has the upside to be a dominant player.   Based on last year's play Lewis deserves to start.  Edoga and Cameron Clark could be future starters and are solid depth pieces.  Winters is still around.  As insurance or to legitimately compete for a starting job...I don't know.  You'd think he'd be cut and Jets sign an aditional player or two.

On the D side...

The wiley GW will cook up blitz dishes...that won't leave you with that bad taste in your mouth...from almost swallowing your Adams apple (?). 
No sophmore jinx for QW.  I expect a productive good year from him.   Minimum...6-8 sacks and lots of pressures...hits, and TFLs.  All while being doubled teamed.  And nobody is going to run effectively with McClendon-Fatukasi-Shepherd-Phillips on the DL.  Hopefully...Anderson can recapture the play he flahed as a pass rusher in his first year.

Maye...should be ready to have a really good year.  Maye has an opportunity to shine and make his case to get an extension with Jets.  Or else he's auditioning for some other team.   McDougald is versatile...experienced and capable.  And does have better range then Adams.  So he should be a solid asset for shoring up the secondary's pass defense.  Ashtyn Davis may benefit from JA's departure with more reps and a bigger role both in pass defense and in blitz packages.  I have high hopes for this player but no one knows for sure if Davis just flashes us a glimpse of what he can do next year and beyond.  Or is a very pleasant surprise this year.  Hopefully by the 2nd half of the season he really comes on and makes an impact.

Again...GW is a master chef...that can cook up blitz packages that will compliment a player's skills.  He'll utilize the young talents acquired this year as niche players in his blitz schemes.  Bryce Huff was very effective in college rushing the passer.  He was 4th in the nation with 64 pressures.  Zuniga has the talent to some day get 10+ sacks.  But for right now...he simply needs to stay healthy and get the reps he needs.  To fill his role as a pass rusher and begin to relize that potential.  Jenkins should get his usual 7-8 sacks.  And Basham will contribute too.  

With Adams and his substantial contract no longer on the horizon.  Clowney becoming a Jet this year is very appealing.  Give him a 1 year incentive laden contract, and let's see if he can be schemed by GW to get his first 10+ sack season as a NYJ.  I'd be all on board with that.  Makes the D a Top 5 one.   

Shame...Mosely never got to evolve as a force in the D due to injuries.  But in that opener against the Bills...he was dominating.  Can't wait to see more from him.  And see CJ...along with the return of the also injured Williamson...as a tandom...wrecking havoc on that football field.  

Desir is a capable corner.  Brian Poole solid in the slot.  Bless Austin could be ready to claim the other starting corner.  I'm very high on the talents of Bryce Hall.  Hope he's fully healthy to play right now   Quincy Wilson should be a valuable depth piece  that can start if called upon.  Still expect this unit to add a veteran before start of season.  

Adam Gase...

I've said this several times.  I have no dog in this fight on whether Gase is a bum or the next Vince Lombardi.  My hunch he's neither.  

Parcells once salvaged a once 1-7 Jets team into finishing the season at 8-8. Many said this was probably the best coaching of his career.  He brought back a dispirited Jets team.  One that was a favorite to land in the Supe.  Instead... completely collapsed...when Vinny Testaverde ruptured his Achilles in the first game of the season.   Everyone applauded Parcells coaching...that lead the team to a 7-1 finsh.  

Gase had a whole bunch of players go down for the season...or for long stretches of it.  Especially the entire OL with a slew of injuries all season long.  CJ gone...Williamson gone...Herndon gone...Osemele good riddance...etc.  Oh...don't forget...also Darnold out with mono and weakened for at least half the season.  Yet with all this occurring...Gase gets close to zero credit for the 6-2 finish to the season.  Practically no pleasant smiles and good job kudos here in JetsLand. 

Many Jets fans have hope...that Perriman may have turned around his career...with his strong finish to last season.  But that kind of reaction to Gase...for the Jets strong finish to the season is almost completely dismissed.  Little indication that maybe his coaching career may have come to a positive turn around too?  It's as if Gase...as HC NYJ didn't exist.  Didn't hold the team together.  Didn't help the players pick themselves off the canvas...and rally for a surprising 6-2 finish. Ending the season with strong positive vibes for perhaps a promising upcoming season.  Positivity should abound when you're  a  little thought of banged up dispirited team...that can finish a season like that.  Apparrently not for the Gase coached NYJ. 

Then there's my curiosity...about Peyton Manning enthusiastically swearing how impressive an offensive mind Gase possesses.   IMO...there's significantly enough upgrades and potential player development-improvements to this team.  To allow us to find out...if the lightbulb went on in those darkest moments of last year...and Gase has "turned his career around".   I give him no excuses.  This team should at least seriously compete for the AFCE.   That's the minimum I expect.     

Maybe Darnold "turned his career around" too.  Maybe the lightbulb went on in his head...in those darkest ghost seeing moments. Now he's poised and enlightened enough...to QB  Jets to the AFCE title.  Whether it's 10-6...11-5...9-7...IMO...it's gonna happen.  And when it does...Darnold deserves the credit.  So does JD...and GW...and Gase and his CS too. 

It's our time! 

No

• Sympathy 1

On the D side...
The wiley GW will cook up blitz dishes...that won't leave you with that bad taste in your mouth...from almost swallowing your Adams apple (). 

Adam Gase...
It's our time! 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app