Preferred direction of the franchise going forward?

Preferred direction of the franchise going forward?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Bring in Harbaugh, keep Darnold, build a dominant rushing attack and a good defense (1980's football)
    • Draft Fields, jettison Sam, bring in Daboll or Greg Roman as HC, shift offense towards read-option/running quarterback (embrace modernity)
    • Take a chance on Joe Brady as HC, roll with Darnold another year, prioritize receivers and offensive line in FA & the draft, and see if there's anything to salvage with with #14 (I'm talking throw 'Tannenbaum money' at Allen Robinson, Joe Thuney and draft Jamar Chase or DeVonta Smith early)
    • Other; elaborate below

If we are not taking Lawrence at 1 and are picking at #2 then I take Penei Sewell. If we are offered a ransom for the pick, then of course but assuming we stay, take the premium position and lock up bookend tackles for the team for a decade.

Keep Darnold - pick up his 5th year option as well.  QBs are the most important asset in the game.  Pay him for 2 more years (pick up the 5th year option) because we unfortunately still don't know exactly what we have. Protect him behind two excellent tackles. 

The rest of the offense and the defense we fill out with draft picks and bargin FAs.

As for Head Coach, I prefer an offensive X/O guy.  I want longterm continuity on offense - I hate how we switch offense coordinators every few years. If we are good in the next few years, I don't want to deal with our offensive coordinator bring hired away.  Really like Daboll & Brady, interested in Bieniemy & Leftwich.  Would love to lure a Lincoln Riley but doubt it.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

How many of the elite NFL teams didn't draft their QB and obtained him some other way?

Of the recently successful teams I can think of a few - the Saints (Brees came from the Chargers), the 49ers getting to the SB with Garoppolo (from NE), the Titans with Ryan Tannehill, and a quasi-successful Vikings team that won a playoff game last year after signing Cousins. It's not easy or ideal but there are other ways to get a QB besides drafting one in the Top 2.

IF the Jets went the route of keeping Darnold, upgrading the Head Coach, and using all their Draft and Free Agency capital to upgrade numerous key positions (OG Thuney, WR Robinson, drafting a stud OT, WR and RB) then it's not impossible to think they could find a different QB in 2021 or 2022 if Darnold doesn't work out.  Either by trading two 1st round picks for a veteran or to move up in the Draft.

I'm leaning towards that 3rd option.

This is why the 1st and 3rd options are the most appealing to me. We either throw as many weapons and offensive lineman @ Darnold and, along with a new coach/system, give him the real chance he's never had.

Or we embrace that we're likely not going to find a good quarterback anytime soon, and build a team that relies on a great rushing attack paired with a solid defense and only ask the quarterback to manage the game.

Either would work well if, or rather when, we move on from Darnold. You're still setting yourself up for that next player to come in and be successful. 

The downside of option 3 is I wonder how likely it is to find a worthy offensive-minded coach to take the reins, and I think it would require truly aggressive spending in free agency (and players that would actually be willing to come here). I think the ideal scenario is #3, and the practical one is #1.